• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Aug 9, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #4,531 of 7,693
I could ask them directly, but I think this would be something the public would like to know as well: @KMann @Audeze

What is the main purpose of 3D Auto? I'm a bit confused by this setting and its intention.

I know how it works, but I don't understand the use case. It has some arbitrary length of time from when you shift your head to when the tracking recenters itself.

I know you guys state it's more for mobile use cases, but I would think that, for example, I turn my head to look at something for say, 10 seconds, and in that timespan the sound has re-centered itself but then I turn my head back to the front and the Headtracking re-centers itself again, wouldn't it just be better to turn headtracking off completely, but allow the use of the virtual surround? That way the sound is always centered with my head movement.

To me, 3D Auto makes no sense in any practical situation I can think of, also considering the time it takes to re-center. Maybe I'm missing something.

Like I can understand locking the sound to the center point and considering your mobile device shifts with your hand moment, the center point changing here and there, but then the timeframe is so random, I don't quite get the time you chose for the Mobius to re-center. If we're looking at a device slightly off center for more than a few seconds, it will misalign the sound. I think it's tricky figuring out the time.

If only there were a device you can attach to your mobile device as a center point that connects to the Mobius wirelessly, so the Mobius always knows where the center point is. Hell that would be cool for even a pc screen or tv too. The point of origin would be locked to that small attachment.

But then again, without at the very least triangulation via external sensors, accuracy would still falter if you shift your body about.

Now I'm rambling. Sorry.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #4,532 of 7,693
Not me. As good as it is, there is no way to get rear audio cues from two channel unless you have very specific encoding like Dolby Pro Logic II. Remember, this Mobius 3D (when decoding just 2 channels) is emulation of a room with two speakers in front of you. Since when have two speakers in front of you given you really good rear audio cues? Think about it. Unless those speakers themselves have some weird processing applied, you ain't getting rear cues that sound like they're behind you. At best, they'll sound different from front cues, but in the virtual space, they'll still be coming from those speakers.

Whomever said it does give good rear cues, well, I'm sorry, but no. There ARE things like Dolby Pro Logic II that can give decoders a very good surround effect from two channels, but in general, UNLESS you have specialized encoding like Pro Logic II and your device can decode that into surround, you're only gonna get plain stereo.

And come on. When you turn 3D off in 7.1, you get the SAME sound as stereo. There is no SURROUND EFFECT, NOTHING. INSTEAD OF WINDOWS CONVERTING AUDIO TO 2 CHANNEL FOR YOUR HEADPHONES TO LISTEN, IT WILL SEND A 7.1 SIGNAL, BUT IT WILL BE THE MOBIUS INSTEAD THAT WILL CONVERT THAT TO TWO CHANNEL. IT IS THE SAME THING, JUST DONE AT A DIFFERENT TIME in the audio chain before it reaches the transducers.

I can't caps lock this enough.

If ANYONE HERE has ever used a gaming dac/amp, like say the Creative X7. It takes a 7.1 signal. IF SBX SURROUND IS OFF, you get regular stereo, as the X7 will just convert that 7.1 to stereo without the surround processing. If you set windows to just 2 channel, your X7 doesn't have to do it. It's already been done. It's really that simple.

No matter how you slice it, all signals JUST eventually become two channels, even if it was 20 speakers being converted for a headphone to hear. Where you have processing being done to virtualize the speakers with two channels is the question. So if you turn 3D off, YOU NO LONGER GET THAT VIRTUALIZATION.

This is why when you watch movies and whatnot that obviously do 5.1 or 7.1 on tv speakers, you can still hear everything. All that information has been converted down to two channel for your TV to output.

You are right. Sorry, I did mix up who said it. It was actually MichaelSD. I did not mean to pull you into a confusing battle.

I
didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying 2.0 or 7.1 channel audio with 3D off would create 3D surround effects. I meant 2.0/2.1 signal with 3D, room emualtion on. I don't have a Mobius yet so I was just referring to what MichealSD stated as an example...
Yes, definitely! Any headphone with excellent imaging on a 2.1 source will put sounds behind you to begin with. The 3D effect with 2.1 sources is better than expected.

This is a great demonstration of what is possible with 2.1 sources:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 4:53 AM Post #4,533 of 7,693
I could ask them directly, but I think this would be something the public would like to know as well: @KMann @Audeze

What is the main purpose of 3D Auto? I'm a bit confused by this setting and its intention.

I know how it works, but I don't understand the use case. It has some arbitrary length of time from when you shift your head to when the tracking recenters itself.

I know you guys state it's more for mobile use cases, but I would think that, for example, I turn my head to look at something for say, 10 seconds, and in that timespan the sound has re-centered itself but then I turn my head back to the front and the Headtracking re-centers itself again, wouldn't it just be better to turn headtracking off completely, but allow the use of the virtual surround? That way the sound is always centered with my head movement.

To me, 3D Auto makes no sense in any practical situation I can think of, also considering the time it takes to re-center. Maybe I'm missing something.

Like I can understand locking the sound to the center point and considering your mobile device shifts with your hand moment, the center point changing here and there, but then the timeframe is so random, I don't quite get the time you chose for the Mobius to re-center. If we're looking at a device slightly off center for more than a few seconds, it will misalign the sound. I think it's tricky figuring out the time.

If only there were a device you can attach to your mobile device as a center point that connects to the Mobius wirelessly, so the Mobius always knows where the center point is. Hell that would be cool for even a pc screen or tv too. The point of origin would be locked to that small attachment.

But then again, without at the very least triangulation via external sensors, accuracy would still falter if you shift your body about.

Now I'm rambling. Sorry.

Usage: when you want 3d sound and in a walking maze at the same time so your head is constantly changing direction... maybe?

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #4,534 of 7,693
Usage: when you want 3d sound and in a walking maze at the same time so your head is constantly changing direction... maybe?
But, but... then just turn htrf off?

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #4,535 of 7,693

When on train, car, bus, boat etc.

When the vehicle turns the unit would see it as your head moving and adjust the sound accordingly

By recentering where you're looking it keeps the target device in focus, recovering from any shift

Aug 9, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #4,536 of 7,693
But then again this is why I wonder why they couldn't just disable hrtf but keep the virtual surround? I mean it's not like our heads are gonna look away from the screen for a long period of time. I mean I get they wanna push the feature out, but in that case it's so minute.

I guess it's more "we have it, may as well utilize it in as many ways possible."

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #4,537 of 7,693
Our intent is that the 3D auto feature will be useful when you are on the move, say on a train or a plane or taking a stroll where you are likely to change direction but maintain it for a while. You are right, without an external reference we cannot say for sure if you just turned the head or if your entire body moved.

Aug 9, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #4,538 of 7,693
Our intent is that the 3D auto feature will be useful when you are on the move, say on a train or a plane or taking a stroll where you are likely to change direction but maintain it for a while. You are right, without an external reference we cannot say for sure if you just turned the head or if your entire body moved.

It'll be an interesting experience if I get mine in time for my 14 hour business trip to Europe mid Sept.. will be planes, trains and automobiles!

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #4,540 of 7,693
An Update for UK pre-order or potential buyers: Mobius won't be available until the end of August, begging of September due to the noise related issues that caused the delays.
Better later with a fixed product then sorry.

No offense intended, but are you an official spokesperson for Audeze? This thread has been rife with rampant speculation since day one, with many postings masquerading as "official" information (or being unintentionally interpreted as such).

I think it would be best if things worded as official came from the two Audeze reps in the thread, or at the very least citing your source, e.g., "XXX at Audeze told me directly that...".

P.S. I was guilty of unintentionally implying something was official when it was not earlier in the thread, so it's very easy for people to jump to conclusions.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #4,541 of 7,693
An Update for UK pre-orders or potential buyers:
Mobius won't be available until the end of August, begging of September due to the noise related issues that caused the delays.
Better later with a fixed product then sorry.

Not a problem for me as I'm in no rush, we're getting a better product at the end of the day.

Aug 9, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #4,542 of 7,693
No offense intended, but are you an official spokesperson for Audeze?

He does the exact same in the Smyth Realiser thread - told us many times when we should be expecting delivery etc

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #4,543 of 7,693
No offense intended, but are you an official spokesperson for Audeze? This thread has been rife with rampant speculation since day one, with many postings masquerading as "official" information (or being unintentionally interpreted as such).

I think it would be best if things worded as official came from the two Audeze reps in the thread, or at the very least citing your source, e.g., "XXX at Audeze told me directly that...".

P.S. I was guilty of unintentionally implying something was official when it was not earlier in the thread, so it's very easy for people to jump to conclusions.

Hi all, that is correct. We should be receiving our first shipment of Mobius in to the UK during the first week of September. As long as there are no more delays, retailers should receive stock the following week in order to ship out any pre orders consumers have made.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #4,544 of 7,693
He does the exact same in the Smyth Realiser thread - told us many times when we should be expecting delivery etc
I gain nothing to provide false information. I just want to help the cause, and for your information I have paid with my own money for Both products.
Relax, and never take it personal, nobody is chasing you.

Aug 9, 2018 at 9:53 AM Post #4,545 of 7,693
@KMann, with regards to how the Mobius handles headtracking, would it be possible to send the raw headtracking data back to the PC to be interpreted as a device input?

Think of the Mobius providing similar functionality to a device like the 'TrackIR'.

The the 3D sound processing could be handled by the PC or video game, but the bigger benefit is allowing for visual headtracking on-screen too, which I would imagine would pair the music positioning to the visual position even more accurately, being handled by the same program.
To add functionality like being able to look about the cockpit of your spaceship or helicopter when landing.

I feel this may be possible, as the Windows application has a real-time visual representation of how the Mobius is orientated, so perhaps that data feed can be repurposed?

Thank KMann!

This is certainly possible. The Waves Nx and B360 plugins work this way to decode and playback Ambisonics content.

I use a lot TrackIR (I still hope that Pro clip will hold nicely on Mobius). If there will be a way that makes Mobius control the visual just as TrackIR do it will be so amazing. but wonder how this could be achieved? is responsibility on games developers to accommodate this feature or someone need to do program just like TrackIR Software (a software that control games camera)?

This is my first post here, I was watching this thread for time and I am happy to be member here, I also pre-ordered Mobius

Users who are viewing this thread

Back