• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #3,107 of 7,693
Can someone explain something to me? I am not knowledgeable about how positional sound is processed in gaming.

So can the Mobius can take game sound and make it more realistic in terms of positional accuracy in a way other than the usual way good headphones do (just the usual good sonic reproduction of the stereo output)? It’s not fundamentally altering how positional sounds are processed in a game, or changing HRTF, right? All of the positional information is already present in the stereo output by the time it reaches the headphone?

Also, I dont understand how a surround sound mode can be a feature in the headphone that receives audio output which already contains processed positional /surround sound info mixed into stereo audio...

It'd be great if someone could explain these concepts!!
Grab a high-end set of headphones (or a good set) and try Waves NX here..... On PC or Mac.
https://www.waves.com/nx/mac-windows-app

You can hear it with some samples without even downloading the demo.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #3,109 of 7,693
Well what Mobius does doesn't have anything do with binaural recording though, binaural recording is using 2 microphones and having 2 mics recording at a simulated human's ears placement the sounds are then heading into the mics at different times/angles creating this positional affect meanwhile the surround in Mobius is probably done by clever delay processing based on various factors (could be bunch of virtual 5.1/7.1 or stereo speakers and then the delay depending on the direction the sound comes off is delayed differently), it also takes into account your ear shape if I remember correctly on the Mobius in the initial calibration process so that the signal that is bouncing off your ear's pinna is calibrated to provide better invidual results.

EDIT: checked out the last statement to be sure and yes that was true too (from Mobius spec page):
  • Anatomy calibration to tailor the sound to the user

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #3,110 of 7,693
Yep - well done, you win.

Now could you try to explain in layman's terms to a guy asking what the go is and what positional audio is and why he should care?

I gave him a quick example of what he can hear (the barber) and a link to why it sounds like that.

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #3,111 of 7,693
Well what Mobius does doesn't have anything do with binaural recording though, binaural recording is using 2 microphones and having 2 mics recording at a simulated human's ears placement the sounds are then heading into the mics at different times/angles creating this positional affect meanwhile the surround in Mobius is probably done by clever delay processing based on various factors (could be bunch of virtual 5.1/7.1 or stereo speakers and then the delay depending on the direction the sound comes off is delayed differently), it also takes into account your ear shape if I remember correctly on the Mobius in the initial calibration process so that the signal that is bouncing off your ear's pinna is calibrated to provide better invidual results.

EDIT: checked out the last statement to be sure and yes that was true too (from Mobius spec page):
  • Anatomy calibration to tailor the sound to the user

The software has to simulate placement, it has to virtualize a binaural type of output through the two speakers, using up to 7 tracks to place cues, which isn't a sweep like actual binaural recordings are. However, when people mix for surround and pan through 5.1 or 7.1 it gives the impression of sweeping. Just try out the nx software on the link I posted before if you're interested in experiencing it in advance before getting the chance to listen to a Mobius.

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #3,112 of 7,693
Yep - well done, you win.

Now could you try to explain in layman's terms to a guy asking what the go is and what positional audio is and why he should care?

I gave him a quick example of what he can hear (the barber) and a link to why it sounds like that.

OK sorry for interpreting you wrong, just seemed odd to give example of a completely different working system but yea what Mobius does is quite difficult to explain in laymens terms, binaural recording is much easier to understand as you don't have to get so nit gritty with details.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #3,113 of 7,693
I'M SOOO JEALOUS

Please do an unboxing video!

For un-boxing videos, since we decided to add the carrying case at the last minute, the IndieGoGo packaging is different from the retail packaging. The retail packaging could not accommodate the case. So the IGG deliveries will be in a simple hassle free packaging with the travel case and the headphones inside. For retail packaging we have box size limitations because of shelf space issues and the box will be slightly smaller and will not include the travel case.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 27, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #3,114 of 7,693
OK sorry for interpreting you wrong, just seemed odd to give example of a completely different working system but yea what Mobius does is quite difficult to explain in laymens terms, binaural recording is much easier to understand as you don't have to get so nit gritty with details.

There are multiple ways of creating binaural recordings. The easiest and simplest way is to put a binaural head like the Neumann KU100 and record it live. In this case, the HRTF used is based on the Neumann KU100s head/pinna etc.
Any stereo audio can be converted to binaural using a transformation. There are several plugins available that create binaural audio and let you choose the head type from a library. The closer your head size is to the model used for Binaural creation, the better the sound quality.

When you use a binaural head, you are limited to one fixed head position that was used for recording. For some early VR recordings, people used quad binaural. They would then pan between the four binaural stems based on head position.
example - https://3diosound.com/products/omni-pro-binaural-microphone

What the Mobius and Nx do, is to create binaural audio conversion is done inside the headphone, but the headtracking information is fed in real-time. You can adjust the headsize used in the model to make the sound quality better.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #3,115 of 7,693
For un-boxing videos, since we decided to add the carrying case at the last minute, the IndieGoGo packaging is different from the retail packaging. The retail packaging could not accommodate the case. So the IGG deliveries will be in a simple hassle free packaging with the travel case and the headphones inside. For retail packaging we have box size limitations because of shelf space issues and the box will be slightly smaller and will not include the travel case.
Can you tell us if the shipping speed will accelerate? or will it continue at this pace? just curious.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #3,116 of 7,693
I'm curious when mine is gonna ship... top 20 in the referrals and no shipping confirmation yet. Also one of the earlier backers - and I've not seen anything - and I've searched for SFC in my junk mail. This gives me hope but also makes me a little apprehensive. Still, its good to know people are starting to get delivery dates!

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #3,119 of 7,693
I'm curious when mine is gonna ship... top 20 in the referrals and no shipping confirmation yet. Also one of the earlier backers - and I've not seen anything - and I've searched for SFC in my junk mail. This gives me hope but also makes me a little apprehensive. Still, its good to know people are starting to get delivery dates!

Welcome to the Club Mate ;l] - we just need to be a bit more patient - it will come it will be awesome and we will forget all that waiting.. ( or that's what I repeat to myself hehe )

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #3,120 of 7,693
So pleased for Audeze to lunch this headphone and i am confident they will sell millions. Finally a great quality headphone with lots of features at affordable price. I cannot stress enough how realistic it sounds especially when watching something like Sherlock Holmes, when they bullets were flying and hitting the trees.
Another amazing example was : Black Hawk Down, when the movie starts there is a sad song, that was actually creppy, very realistic to listen.
Cannot recommend other headphone especially if you are a movie consumer.
Totally worth it. And thank you for speeding the shipping process, everyone can't wait until gets his/hers.
By the way, many features will be added later on, depending on the success. I think that the chip supports Dolby Atmos, so hopefully that gets implemented later on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back