• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Sep 4, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #7,532 of 7,693
After switching back and forth between the "Brainwavz HM5 Angled Sheepskin" and the original Mobius earpads for a week now I come to the conclusion that I prefer the original pads.

There is much to like with the Brainwavz pads, better comfort, punchy bass and improved 3-D projection.

But one thing completely overshadows these improvements for me, and did bother me more the longer I used them.
A tonal coloration going into a direction I really dislike, with a tendency to sound like an old grammophone.
Voices and solo instruments get a nasal and honky sound, the breath is lost, and transparency and natural treble response is gone.
Recordings sound like being sent back by four decades.

Good example for this effect is Natalie Cole "So Many Stars" from the " "Ask a Woman Who Knows" - album.
Despite being recorded in 2002 it sounds like a 1950's recording with the Brainwavz pads, with the original pads it sounds quite right. Same is true for most music I listen to.

The Brainwavz pads intensify a problem that is slightly present on Mobius with the original pads too - a little boost in the upper midrange around 2.5-3kHz.
This, combined with the lowered 8-10kHz range and the overall less linear midrange and treble response might be the main cause.
Choosing a different EQ preset does not cure the problems.

I have no idea if the same is true for the pleather or the non-angled pads (I don't have those available), but I do not recommend these "Brainwavz HM5 Angled Sheepskin" earpads for the Mobius.
These are the sheepskin ones, pleather might not have the same drop at 250-600Hz, as it's usually a bit stiffer.
I'm so far quite happy with the sound changes by the Brainwavz pads, as they brighten up the darker signiture caused by Firmware V5.

I don't do these "PRTF" measurements, sorry. It's a special rtings.com measurment that cannot easily be reproduced by someone else. They have their own "Reference Loudspeaker", not further defined, as base.

I wouldn't publish the absolute responses yet, as they are uncompensated ear related and therefore misleading.

This graph actually IS the comparison, the difference between stock and Brainwavz Angled Sheepskin earpads.
Stock is reference, Green is direct mount, Orange mounted with 3mm felt disc:

And here possible candidates for partly compensation, personly I like "Music" with 3D:

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #7,533 of 7,693
I have no idea if the same is true for the pleather
I found the brainwavz sheepskin pads as well as the mrspeakers alpha pads to do the same thing and i didnt like the sound signature, whereas the pleather pads are smooth sounding and enjoyable. Very different materials... animal skin and polyurethane.

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #7,535 of 7,693
Getting up-to-speed with Mobius coming in tomorrow and quick question are there any TV/home cinema dongles that will kick out Dolby 5.1/7.1 wirelessly to them for netflix or is that not possible at all...?

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #7,536 of 7,693
Getting up-to-speed with Mobius coming in tomorrow and quick question are there any TV/home cinema dongles that will kick out Dolby 5.1/7.1 wirelessly to them for netflix or is that not possible at all...?

Pretty sure it's not possible. USB only, and from PC only.

Sep 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #7,537 of 7,693
Mobius doesn't have any Multichannel Decoder built in, like Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X or such.
Nor does it have the connectivity to be plugged into a TV set or Blue Ray player.

So any device interfacing to Mobius would need to receive content via HDMI, convert e.g. Dolby 5.1 / 7.1 into 6 / 8 channel PCM, send this out to USB while handling Mobius as an USB Soundcard.

My search did not show up something useable.

On iDevices I did not find any App (like for Amazon Prime or Youtube, can't try Netflix) supporting multichannel playback of videos or music.
DAWs for music production (on iDevice) can access Mobius's multichannel capabilities, so principly it is posssible.

I don't use my PC for video or music, so finally I'm stuck with Stereo to 3-D emulation.
This isn't bad soundwise, and 99.99% of all music isn't available in Surround anyway.
But video is another story, and of course I would like to get the real deal from time to time too.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #7,538 of 7,693
Cool, 503 pages so far...so what are the magic hybrid earpads that take them to the NEXT LEVEL ? :L3000:

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #7,539 of 7,693
I rate these immediately better than Sine anyway. Great that a gaming focus has not strangled the SQ...putting foam over the drivers darkening the upper regions makes them closer to LCD2C in the mid-bass to treble (without that meatier sub-bass 2s are known for)...
I think long-term I'd dampen the drivers as my preference is for a darker presentation generally for marathon listening sessions...late to the party, but nice set of cans for music anyway for their price range...regardless of interoperability issues.

Must be quite a decent DAC/amp inside as they get decently loud off that on bluetooth...still not got my LDAC device to test them at near redbook level wirelessly but can only be better than the lesser BT codecs.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #7,540 of 7,693
I rate these immediately better than Sine anyway. Great that a gaming focus has not strangled the SQ...putting foam over the drivers darkening the upper regions makes them closer to LCD2C in the mid-bass to treble (without that meatier sub-bass 2s are known for)...
I think long-term I'd dampen the drivers as my preference is for a darker presentation generally for marathon listening sessions...late to the party, but nice set of cans for music anyway for their price range...regardless of interoperability issues.

Must be quite a decent DAC/amp inside as they get decently loud off that on bluetooth...still not got my LDAC device to test them at near redbook level wirelessly but can only be better than the lesser BT codecs.
Isn't the "Warm" preset dark enough for you?
Which firmware are you on - V5 (AUDEZE HQ App / FIRMWARE shows USB:1.02 MCU:1.71 DSP:25) significantly darkens the sound, "Flat" preset is close to the former, darker "Music" now.

I mostly found that I don't like foam or felt or anything in front of a driver - transients get smeared in a way that does not happen if you use EQ for the same resulting frequency response.

Are you sure that you receive the LDC2C's bass as "meatier" in comparison to the Mobius?
The LCD2rev2 I have goes linear with no boost into the sub bass down until the center of the earth.
But the Mobius has a significant bass boost going down to 25Hz without any drop.
To me the Mobius has way more subbass quantity then the LCD2.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #7,541 of 7,693
Sep 14, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #7,542 of 7,693
Isn't the "Warm" preset dark enough for you?
Which firmware are you on - V5 (AUDEZE HQ App / FIRMWARE shows USB:1.02 MCU:1.71 DSP:25) significantly darkens the sound, "Flat" preset is close to the former, darker "Music" now.

I mostly found that I don't like foam or felt or anything in front of a driver - transients get smeared in a way that does not happen if you use EQ for the same resulting frequency response.

Are you sure that you receive the LDC2C's bass as "meatier" in comparison to the Mobius?
The LCD2rev2 I have goes linear with no boost into the sub bass down until the center of the earth.
But the Mobius has a significant bass boost going down to 25Hz without any drop.
To me the Mobius has way more subbass quantity then the LCD2.
Cool.
Not sure which firmware or presets it's on right now fresh out box a few hours ago...just had FLAC streaming to it BT, and then a movie from a netflix dongle 30 minutes home cinema..subs never really seemed pronounced but early days on them from short impressions....need to dig out some head-juddering Dub Techno to focus on that more... Nice set of cans anyway...the 3D surround with fixed source positioning was pretty great.
I thought the YT video audio was coming out my phone speaker when I moved my head at one point..haha.

EDIT : That's an affirmative on the extended and raised sub-bass day 2...nice.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #7,543 of 7,693
Cool.
Not sure which firmware or presets it's on right now fresh out box a few hours ago...just had FLAC streaming to it BT, and then a movie from a netflix dongle 30 minutes home cinema..subs never really seemed pronounced but early days on them from short impressions....need to dig out some head-juddering Dub Techno to focus on that more... Nice set of cans anyway...the 3D surround with fixed source positioning was pretty great.
I thought the YT video audio was coming out my phone speaker when I moved my head at one point..haha.
It's really worth to use the AUDEZE HQ App to set your head dimensions and adjust the amount of "Room Ambience" (reverb) to your taste.
This will improve your 3-D experience and gives you more natural sound-colors in 3-D.

As a hint - I reduced "Room Ambience" to 22.3 to make the additional reverb almost inaudible with usual music I listen to.

And of course, make yourself familiar with (EQ-)preset and 3-D mode switching to get the most out of Mobius.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #7,544 of 7,693

Users who are viewing this thread

Back