• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Oct 1, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #6,946 of 7,693
I use equalizer apo with everything on a pc and don't notice anything weird from it, i.e. latency glitches w.e and I'll bypass eqapo with wasapi if I'm doing standard stereo listening with certain headphones.

Understood. I do most things on Macs, but I am willing to try this equalizer apo on the one windows laptop that I have. I found a related youtube tutorial that appears to be helpful ( )

Oct 1, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #6,947 of 7,693
Questions to the Head-fi.org hive mind.

How would you describe the audio portion of the 3D audio setting, not counting the head tracking element?

I hear it as just a kind of reverb, it's basically a DSP, not much different from various other effects used in audio for decades that have gone under names like "Room Expander", "Hall Mode" and other things that allude to making the audio sound as if it's playing in a larger space. Is that a fair assessment or is there something else going on with the sound? Besides the head tracking and digital EQ settings of course.

I like the effect and I appreciate the option. But mostly I turn it off unless I'm listening to a poorer quality recording that may benefit from the tweak. Listening to non-music voice of a podcast or something and I hear it as no more than slight echo effect. Is that it?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #6,948 of 7,693

How would you describe the audio portion of the 3D audio setting, not counting the head tracking element?

I hear it as just a kind of reverb, it's basically a DSP, not much different from various other effects used in audio for decades that have gone under names like "Room Expander", "Hall Mode" and other things that allude to making the audio sound as if it's playing in a larger space. Is that a fair assessment or is there something else going on with the sound? Besides the head tracking and digital EQ settings of course.

I like the effect and I appreciate the option. But mostly I turn it off unless I'm listening to a poorer quality recording that may benefit from the tweak. Listening to non-music voice of a podcast or something and I hear it as no more than slight echo effect. Is that it?

Nope, the 3d setting is real time binaural rendering of 2.0 to 7.1 mixes using hrtf, a proprietary algorithm by Waves. There is a room ambiance setting you can reduce on the computer app if you find it to be too echoey. A podcast is often a 2.0 mono track and not a great usage of waves nx, maybe itll put it slighty in front of you

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #6,949 of 7,693
Is anyone else having trouble accessing the SFC tracking? I've been trying but it doesn't load up. Anyone else who received their tracking number from the website direct order, (specifically USA) has there been any updates?

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #6,950 of 7,693
Yeah I think it's mostly subjective in this regard. What may be unacceptable to some will be acceptable to others. I have to pay close attention to see the mismatched lip-syncing with videos. If I'd never known about it, I may have never noticed it or I may have noticed it but subconsciously brushed it aside without issue. But because I know about it, I can pay attention to and notice it and it becomes a flaw. Honestly, at the end of the day I could live with it because it's not that bad a delay. But as an audiophile, the whole idea is to go beyond "can live with it." I could live with $10 headphones, but I'd rather spend a bit (read: a lot) more money or go through an extra step (e.g. be wired) to get a better sound. Same principle here.

on a mac at least the os is able to adjust the video latency to match the audio latency. not sure if this is supported by the bt driver though but it is if you run it through menubus (www.menubus.audio) first.

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #6,951 of 7,693
Is anyone else having trouble accessing the SFC tracking? I've been trying but it doesn't load up. Anyone else who received their tracking number from the website direct order, (specifically USA) has there been any updates?

Have you tried using the tracking number at the DHL site?

https://webtrack.dhlglobalmail.com/

Oct 1, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #6,952 of 7,693
Understood. I do most things on Macs, but I am willing to try this equalizer apo on the one windows laptop that I have. I found a related youtube tutorial that appears to be helpful ( )
I like his approach. Making it newbie friendly. The way he explains it, he makes it easier for somebody not experienced to understand.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #6,953 of 7,693
For surround, keep the Mobius in 8ch(7.1). This is a 7.1 lpcm connection to the pc.

Yes, for media players, make sure theyre set to output 7.1 (l)pcm, this shoud be automatic, w.e the system is set to. With mpc hc lav audio this is automatic. Jriver uses lav but the settings r different. For powerdvd it should also have a system default / current system setting.

Netflix and vudu should automatically output 5.1 if the content has it as well.

As for making it sound its best. Id recommend installing equalizer apo, a c ouple small adjustments might be enjoyable for you, a sub bass boost, rolled off treble.

For me i completely fatten out headphones for surround programs, heres my el8 eq:

And mobius:

You can also look into virtualaudiocable and adding a bass shaker system =O

But as far as player settings go, no, nothing extra.
How did you arrive at that response? The graph below is uncompensated. The graph below will change if compensated with something like the Harmon curve (which will show us the dips and peaks referenced to a flat line).

Based on the graph below, I see you'd have to raise 4-5k a bit. Drop around 200Hz, and raise the subs a bit.

upload_2018-8-31_23-6-19.png

Here is the Harman Target Curve. I guess you can EQ based on this as reference (try to get it the same as much as possible), but it would be easier if @Audeze or @KMann can provide us with the compensated graph.

140202_Blog_HarmanResearchUpdate_GraphOlivewTargets (1).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #6,954 of 7,693

You will only hear the benefit of the 3D processing if you are listening to a 5.1 or 7.1 signal - when you DO have that, the rear surround is quite effective and is certainly more than just reverb.
If you're listening to 2 channel stereo, it will present as a wider soundstage and some added reverb. If I'm listening to 2 channels, I think I would be inclined to leave the 3D off but it's down to taste and choice :)

Oct 1, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #6,955 of 7,693
How did you arrive at that response? The graph below is uncompensated. The graph below will change if compensated with something like the Harmon curve (which will show us the dips and peaks referenced to a flat line).

Based on the graph below, I see you'd have to raise 4-5k a bit. Drop around 200Hz, and raise the subs a bit.

Here is the Harman Target Curve. I guess you can EQ based on this as reference (try to get it the same as much as possible), but it would be easier if @Audeze or @KMann can provide us with the compensated graph.

The first picture was just 3 basic filters in equalizer apo, peaking and high/low shelves, just to show what to use.

The second picture is the eq i use with Audeze EL-8s when using Out of Your Head.

The 3rd is the Mobius in 3d with the tonebooster parametric eq on usb audio player pro.

the equalizing to a flat line(uncompensated) is only when using the binaural rendering virtual speaker programs. Personally I just find the sound to be horribly bright grating and noisy with hesdphones that follow the harmon curve(i.e. the bell at 3khz) using the virtualization programs. Something to do with emulating speakers, the reverb, idk.

If I'm listening to 2 channels, I think I would be inclined to leave the 3D off but it's down to taste and choice

Damndest thing... I bought these for planar ldac standard stereo music listening, but I dig the mobile virtual stereo system and find myself listening to music with 3d on more than I thought, espacially being spoiled by the virtual stereo of my main system.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #6,956 of 7,693
The first picture was just 3 basic filters in equalizer apo, peaking and high/low shelves, just to show what to use.

The second picture is the eq i use with Audeze EL-8s when using Out of Your Head.

The 3rd is the Mobius in 3d with the tonebooster parametric eq on usb audio player pro.

the equalizing to a flat line(uncompensated) is only when using the binaural rendering virtual speaker programs. Personally I just find the sound to be horribly bright grating and noisy with hesdphones that follow the harmon curve(i.e. the bell at 3khz) using the virtualization programs. Something to do with emulating speakers, the reverb, idk.
Ok, I do find 2-4k a bit emphasized with the Harman curve as well. I think perhaps 3-4 dB lower in that area would be my neutral.

2-4k is where we're all most sensitive to

1200px-Lindos1.svg.png

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #6,957 of 7,693
Ok, I do find 2-4k a bit emphasized with the Harman curve as well. I think perhaps 3-4 dB lower in that area would be my neutral I think.

2-4k is where we're all most sensitive to

Cool graph thank you

Heres another example, I picked up a Stax 2170 recently.

Heres the innerfidelity measurement:
Screenshot_20180928-181244_Drive.jpg

Heres my eq for regular stereo:
20180930_203700.jpg

And heres the eq for OOYH or using a virtual speaker program:
20180930_203733.jpg

That eq looks extreme... and sounds awful for normal stereo listening, but when using ooyh it sounds perfect, perfectly detailed and balanced, in no way would i call it dark.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #6,959 of 7,693
Cool graph thank you

Heres another example, I picked up a Stax 2170 recently.

Heres the innerfidelity measurement:

Heres my eq for regular stereo:

And heres the eq for OOYH or using a virtual speaker program:
Why is your EQ for out of your head or virtual speaker lowered around at 3-4k (with such a wide band)?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #6,960 of 7,693
Why is your EQ for out of your head or virtual speaker lowered around at 3-4k (with such a wide band)?

the equalizing to a flat line(uncompensated) is only when using the binaural rendering virtual speaker programs. Personally I just find the sound to be horribly bright grating and noisy with headphones that follow the harmon curve(i.e. the bell at 3khz) using the virtualization programs. Something to do with emulating loudspeakers(which typically have a flat uncompensated response), the binaural rendering, the room emulation(all the reverb), idk...

I added in an edit, "That eq looks extreme... and sounds awful for normal stereo listening, but when using ooyh it sounds perfect, perfectly detailed and balanced, in no way would i call it dark."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back