Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jul 14, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #5,552 of 5,780
Whelp, 13 months after purchase, my Mobius has a snapped right yoke right at the base of the "U". I guess I could try superglue or replacing it but I'm kind of done dealing with these. I should have sent it in for warranty back when the slider fell out (the band became loose over time and I ended up using a plastic zip-tie to hold it together). This eventually happened to both sides so I had matching zip ties, then last night I was setting it down and I guess I am a gorilla ( I am actually a pile of mush with pencil arms...) and crunch...

400 bucks for a little over a year of use. I guess it's not a terrible deal?? Anyways, these things could have been a gateway into the Audeze world and I had thought of upgrading to one of their higher end models, but after this experience I am kind of sour on the brand even though they didn't actually build the headband---they still put their name on it.

Moving on....

The yoke break point is a huge issue on these. Audeze really should have done something to fix this. If you contact support, they'll probably offer you a pretty decent out-of-warranty deal, something like $100 for a B-stock replacement unit.

Just wanted to note, their higher end headphones aren't really anything like the Mobius (besides the house LCD sound if you use the "Flat" DSP I guess?). AFAIK none of their other products have had the same kind of QC issues that the Mobius has had. Their other products are also much more, "hard-core" audiophile? Like, no bells-and-whistles, no Bluetooth, no mic, no 3D audio, etc etc. The Mobius isn't truly an entry-level model the same way the LCD lineup works. Just throwing that out there.

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #5,553 of 5,780
The yoke break point is a huge issue on these. Audeze really should have done something to fix this. If you contact support, they'll probably offer you a pretty decent out-of-warranty deal, something like $100 for a B-stock replacement unit.

Just wanted to note, their higher end headphones aren't really anything like the Mobius (besides the house LCD sound if you use the "Flat" DSP I guess?). AFAIK none of their other products have had the same kind of QC issues that the Mobius has had. Their other products are also much more, "hard-core" audiophile? Like, no bells-and-whistles, no Bluetooth, no mic, no 3D audio, etc etc. The Mobius isn't truly an entry-level model the same way the LCD lineup works. Just throwing that out there.
To complete the above statement:

The Mobius even sounds very different to the passive, non-powered AUDEZE headphones lineup.
AUDEZE uses a lot of EQ in the Mobius, to get the same with LCD-type ‘phones one needs to replicate this.

E.g. I have an AUDEZE LCD-2 Revision 2 that I EQ on my RME ADI-2 Pro, with great results.

BTW: the later Mobius versions have some reinforcement in the plastic parts.
If this solves the problem - time will tell.

My very 1st generation Mobius (indiegogo release), although well used, doesn‘t show any crack problem.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #5,554 of 5,780
Jul 15, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #5,555 of 5,780
What number is everyone settling on for Room Ambience for their movie/TV watching?

Same question for their favorite Preset for movie/TV watching?

My use cases:

3D/7.1/USB on Nvidia Shield.

3D/Stereo/BT on Apple TV 4K Gen 2.

Jul 15, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #5,556 of 5,780
Mobius replacement earpads.
I'm still using my Mobius, still going strong and still loving it!
But I'm thinking of replacing the earpads. Didn't there used to be some kind of cooler earpad back when it was new? I think they were blue?
At the Audeze website this is all I see, which looks like the regular "standard" earpads. Was hoping to get slightly fatter earpads.
https://www.audeze.com/collections/accessories/products/mobius-standard-ear-pad-replacement-kit

So, they discontinued the gel earpads a while back. The only official ones being sold, period, are the same standard ones you already have. If you've been using them for over a year, and they feel flat/worn out to you, and you want to replace them for that purpose, you can buy the standard replacement set (exact same thing). If you want an "upgrade", because you feel like the default pads aren't comfy enough or something, you've got a few options. Dekoni has some earpads for the Mobius. However, I think the general consensous is that those pads poorly affect the sound quality of the Mobius. There was a video made by a Youtube called TheTechne about using the ATH m50X Wicked aftermarket earpads on the Mobius. IIRC to him it seemed like they actually added more soundstage to Mobius (so a pro, not a con). However, I don't believe he's an audio enthusiast - he reviews gaming headphones, but not actual ""audophile-grade"" gear, so take that with a grain of salt (and everyone has different experiences). I believe Vesper does custom earpads for the Mobius, gel filled ones too (but pricey at ~$60). I don't think anyone here has bought those though, so I'm not sure how good they are.

Jul 15, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #5,557 of 5,780
What number is everyone settling on for Room Ambience for their movie/TV watching?

My use cases:

Honestly, I've just let HTRF stuff set to the default settings. Generally 3D Manual/7.1/USB with either Flat or Warm EQ.

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #5,558 of 5,780
I've replaced the pads, but the headband is the same material and has decayed. Anyone find a replacement for that? Pretty glaring oversight if Audeze has no solution for that and honestly, the Mobius has completely put me off considering other Audeze products because of this lack of support and product failure in under 2 years despite little use.

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #5,560 of 5,780
I had both for about a month but not at the same time. The Mobius is one of the best sounding "gaming" headsets out there, but that doesn't make it a good headphone in my opinion. I say "gaming" headset because I'm referring to headsets with a microphone attached, stuff like Turtle Beach, HyperX/Cloud, SteelSeries etc. It has a lot of the same gimmicky features that you might expect like "surround sound" or whatever they call the different listening modes to make it sound more realistic. They always sound terrible and the Mobius is no exception. It also comes with a 3D head tracking feature where it changes the angle of the sound depending on you moving your head left or right. It might be cool if you had a triple monitor sim racing setup but it's useless otherwise.

Bluetooth mode is slow and the audio quality suffers immensely. You wouldn't use it for gaming and if you wanted the best audio quality you would want to be using the wired connection. The only thing I really valued in the Mobius was the microphone, and even then I didn't like the placement of it. It was always in my peripheral view for some reason.

Before I get to the Sundaras I wanted to mention that I did compare the Mobius back to back with my old Grado SR80i and I thought the Grados sounded much better and they were like $80-100 headphones I bought almost 10 years ago. This, along with the $400 price tag of the Mobius got me wondering what my money could be better spent on. I was within the 1 month return period and Audeze kindly accepted my return. They were nice to deal with I will give them that.

Anyways, the Sundaras came in and they blew me away. They also blew my Grados away. You should know that the Sundaras are open back and the Mobius are closed back so just in that alone they are going to be different. If you are looking for noise suppression or don't want others to hear your audio then any open back headphone might be a problem for you. I ended up realizing that I preferred good audio and a mic on my desk rather than mediocre audio with an attached mic. Also, if I had seen the ModMic Wireless first I never would have considered the Mobius.

Something else to note is that you will probably want to get an amp/dac for the Sundara which is going to cost some more cash. I had an old Fiio E17 that I used initially but upgraded to Schiit Modi and Magni Heresy. Altogether though I would imagine the Sundara would destroy the Mobius in a back to back comparison if we are talking straight sound quality. I also found the Mobius uncomfortable to wear but the Sundara is like a pillow on my head.

Last things to note if you care: I upgraded to the Anandas and compared them to the Sundaras before returning the Sundaras (I'm returning the Anandas also). The Anandas are double the price but not double the sound in my opinion. Same sound signature but everything is bigger, faster and comes to life a little bit more. I also found them uncomfortable because they're like twice the size. I ended up with the Focal Clears which are spectacular, but if I had to do it all over again I would have stopped at the Sundaras.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #5,562 of 5,780

My use cases:

Are you using Mobius connected to Nvidia Shield and getting 7.1 playback? Through video players like Kodi, I mean, if decoding to 7.1 LPCM?

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #5,563 of 5,780
Are you using Mobius connected to Nvidia Shield and getting 7.1 playback? Through video players like Kodi, I mean, if decoding to 7.1 LPCM?
When connected via USB, it's showing as an 8 channel device on the Shield, when 7.1 is selected on the Mobius.

When I go to play "Test Patterns" on Netflix, it's also confirming it as a surround device, as all 5 channels play via the surround tests.

Sorry, I only have "paid content" apps on the Shield, so I can't help with Kodi.

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #5,564 of 5,780
When connected via USB, it's showing as an 8 channel device on the Shield, when 7.1 is selected on the Mobius.

When I go to play "Test Patterns" on Netflix, it's also confirming it as a surround device, as all 5 channels play via the surround tests.

Sorry, I only have "paid content" apps on the Shield, so I can't help with Kodi.
If it plays multichannel for Netflix and Prime Video, I am pretty sure it could do it through Kodi too. I use both.

Does it work with head tracking too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back