Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jun 19, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #5,536 of 5,780
Anyone have an issue where the Mobius just randomly turns off WHILE using it? The voice just says "power off" and I have to turn it on again. This happens WHILE I play games and chat in discord etc. Maybe twice a week or so.
happened to me last year, randomly as you are describing.
solved changing the power cable. i swapped from usb-usbC cable to usbC-usbC (both cable are provided with the headset) just to try and it worked.

Jun 19, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #5,540 of 5,780
Anyone have an issue where the Mobius just randomly turns off WHILE using it? The voice just says "power off" and I have to turn it on again. This happens WHILE I play games and chat in discord etc. Maybe twice a week or so.
Does it happen when you touch the connector that’s plugged into the cup?

In general I’d try another USB-C cable.
The one supplied is not making reliable contact.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #5,541 of 5,780
Whelp, 13 months after purchase, my Mobius has a snapped right yoke right at the base of the "U". I guess I could try superglue or replacing it but I'm kind of done dealing with these. I should have sent it in for warranty back when the slider fell out (the band became loose over time and I ended up using a plastic zip-tie to hold it together). This eventually happened to both sides so I had matching zip ties, then last night I was setting it down and I guess I am a gorilla ( I am actually a pile of mush with pencil arms...) and crunch...

400 bucks for a little over a year of use. I guess it's not a terrible deal?? Anyways, these things could have been a gateway into the Audeze world and I had thought of upgrading to one of their higher end models, but after this experience I am kind of sour on the brand even though they didn't actually build the headband---they still put their name on it.

Moving on....
I agree with you; they really did mess this up. However you're in their HQ location, you can bring it to them in person or get quick return time. The pandemic really screwed over getting them to properly address this I think. I stated at the start, I didn't care about bending or twisting the headset, I wanted a solid build/yoke as that's where most gaming headsets fail. They just went "look at our fancy plastic!" They even partnered with a big gaming brand and gave the same inferior design knowing already some were failing. If they don't sit down and release a better built version they don't stand a chance at people trusting their price point or their brand.

Jun 22, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #5,542 of 5,780
Can someone link me a decent usb A -> C cabel? I think I need 3m.
Like arent there any soft ones that dont cost to much? xD
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31201 Are the best I have found.... I bought 4, i'm still on the first after 7 months where other cable brands have died about 1 month + the bend on them is a full C shape and they've still not had an issue. Very solid cable. Look for something like that, in your area.

Jun 27, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #5,543 of 5,780
Hello everyone! I have been in need of a set of closed hi-fi headphones, and own several open back planars, and had the opportunity to get these at a great price. Now that I have them, they do a lot right, but I have some questions/thoughts. However, unlike some in this thread, while I am looking for more soundstage, I don't want to gain it at the cost of less treble, but more soundstage *and* more treble/brightness/detail. I also read somewhere (correct me if I'm wrong...) that earlier firmware versions actually had presets that were brighter and more detailed sounding, but they were replaced with 'darker' versions.

Does anyone have measurements with the EQ presets for the latest firmware versions post changes? Is flat still the brightest, which is to say not all that bright? I sure do wish that we could customize at least one EQ preset...

Does anyone have pad swap recommendations based on my preferences above? I don't want to lose all bass, but balance it out a bit more.

Has anyone attempted a passive/balanced mod, where a set of jacks would bypass the internal amp? (It might not be easy because of how full the left ear cup is, but I also haven't opened them yet.)

Thank you guys for your time!

Jun 28, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #5,544 of 5,780
Hello everyone! I have been in need of a set of closed hi-fi headphones, and own several open back planars, and had the opportunity to get these at a great price. Now that I have them, they do a lot right, but I have some questions/thoughts. However, unlike some in this thread, while I am looking for more soundstage, I don't want to gain it at the cost of less treble, but more soundstage *and* more treble/brightness/detail. I also read somewhere (correct me if I'm wrong...) that earlier firmware versions actually had presets that were brighter and more detailed sounding, but they were replaced with 'darker' versions.

Does anyone have measurements with the EQ presets for the latest firmware versions post changes? Is flat still the brightest, which is to say not all that bright? I sure do wish that we could customize at least one EQ preset...

Does anyone have pad swap recommendations based on my preferences above? I don't want to lose all bass, but balance it out a bit more.

Has anyone attempted a passive/balanced mod, where a set of jacks would bypass the internal amp? (It might not be easy because of how full the left ear cup is, but I also haven't opened them yet.)

Thank you guys for your time!
According to your requirements you might have entered the wrong ship.
The AUDEZE EL-8 Titanium with Cipher cable (iOS / Lightning only) offers all the above, minus it has no 3-D processing.
Or you combine EL-8 Titanium with a Qudelix 5K that offers very versatile equalization at the same price as the Cipher.

To answer your questions:
Default and Flat presets are the same EQ curves with only the volume level slightly different
(AUDEZE doesn’t seem to be interested to do anything about that).
Those are the brightest, if you scroll through the thread you find my measurements somewhere.

Pad swap isn’t an easy task and leads to nowhere, soundwise, in my experience.
The problem is, the original pad is glued on a plastic ring, without ring it’s hard to mount third-party pads in a reasonable way.
There is no pad that boost the treble, velour could lower the bass.

Opening up the Mobius is not recommended, the driver is very delicate and, according to AUDEZE, it’s hard to seal the enclosure again.
Anyway, at that point you’re better off with the EL-8 Titanium.

Meanwhile I suggest to make yourself familiar with the Mobius, install the AUDEZE HQ app, set up your head dimensions and adjust ambience to your liking (I did reduce it from default 35 to 25).
This part is important to get the best out of the Mobius.
Mobius main and unique feature is the 3-D + headtracking, it offers a unbeatable amount of soundstage.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #5,545 of 5,780
According to your requirements you might have entered the wrong ship.
The AUDEZE EL-8 Titanium with Cipher cable (iOS / Lightning only) offers all the above, minus it has no 3-D processing.
Or you combine EL-8 Titanium with a Qudelix 5K that offers very versatile equalization at the same price as the Cipher.

To answer your questions:
Default and Flat presets are the same EQ curves with only the volume level slightly different
(AUDEZE doesn’t seem to be interested to do anything about that).
Those are the brightest, if you scroll through the thread you find my measurements somewhere.

Pad swap isn’t an easy task and leads to nowhere, soundwise, in my experience.
The problem is, the original pad is glued on a plastic ring, without ring it’s hard to mount third-party pads in a reasonable way.
There is no pad that boost the treble, velour could lower the bass.

Opening up the Mobius is not recommended, the driver is very delicate and, according to AUDEZE, it’s hard to seal the enclosure again.
Anyway, at that point you’re better off with the EL-8 Titanium.

Meanwhile I suggest to make yourself familiar with the Mobius, install the AUDEZE HQ app, set up your head dimensions and adjust ambience to your liking (I did reduce it from default 35 to 25).
This part is important to get the best out of the Mobius.
Mobius main and unique feature is the 3-D + headtracking, it offers a unbeatable amount of soundstage.
Thank you very much for your responses! It's unfortunate that the EQ presets are what they are, but I'll deal.

You mentioned adjusting the ambience. What does that do exactly? I have not found a good explanation of this in the documentation.

Also, did you guys know that they no longer include the hard case, but just a drawstring bag? Yeah, I was disappointed.

As for the pad swap, I saw this video:

and thought that maybe others had tried the same thing. Is there something wrong with the approach taken?

As for velour, I find that velour makes me itchy, but fabric is fine. It's a pity that my skin doesn't take to it too well. :frowning2: I'll look into it though.

Thanks again for your responses!

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #5,546 of 5,780
The method in the video looks reasonable. Just try.

Room Ambience changes the amount of artificial room reflections and reverb added, to simulate a 7.1 speaker setup in a room, and enhance the 3-D experience.
In my opinion default it’s a bit too much that washes into the sound of the music.
That’s why I prefer to reduce Room Ambience to prevent extra reverb from coming into the foreground.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #5,547 of 5,780
Hi guys, is anyone had issue with audio stutters during play videos or gaming on windows 10? Not all the time but sometimes my mobius starts audio twitches, I have already change cable but still have that issue. All enhancements disabled. Usually it's happens in the beginning when i turn on pc and start any video or game, but again it's happening randomly. Don't know what to do, my warranty expired.

Jul 12, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #5,548 of 5,780
Hi guys, is anyone had issue with audio stutters during play videos or gaming on windows 10? Not all the time but sometimes my mobius starts audio twitches, I have already change cable but still have that issue. All enhancements disabled. Usually it's happens in the beginning when i turn on pc and start any video or game, but again it's happening randomly. Don't know what to do, my warranty expired.
What if you try another computer?

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #5,550 of 5,780
Same thing, is that possible if the problem cause battery? Any one knows what happen if battery go low?
Does it also happen if you're plugged in via 3.5mm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back