Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Mar 25, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #4,696 of 5,780
agreed on the metal parts, bending the headset naw, my headset broke across the earcup and I expect all the others will as well in time, I look and can see that weak point visually. The top band could use a better cushion as well. Ability to replace your own battery would be excellent. I love my mobius/orbit cloud s as well (since the mobius should be shipped back from repair this week). I'd love some more robust software, with ability to customize your own EQ and not only that but in software create a 'sound target' to see and adjust EQ in real time based on whatever application/game I'm playing (click a basic profile to get a general idea of where the EQ might be best then fine tune). Need/want gun or footstep sounds louder/lower? apply to a profile and go. Software needs to be lower in CPU, I don't mind running it all the time for extra features but it does seem a bit high on the CPU usage sometimes, so I just close it down and open it when I need, but switching via software is a lot quicker than fiddling with the buttons.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #4,697 of 5,780
I've noticed that in certain games, when sounds are "close", I hear an echo. I'm using 7.1 mode, 3D Auto or On. For example, in the witcher 3, someone will be talking and sound fine. But as I run closer to them, the sound gets echo-y. I haven't really been able to pinpoint exactly when it occurs, but I didn't notice it when I turned 3D off and switched to stereo. I would describe the echo as similar to the sound when listening to a physical 7.1 stereo setup.
Does it have something to do with my HTRF measurements? Do other people notice this?

Mar 26, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #4,699 of 5,780
I've noticed that in certain games, when sounds are "close", I hear an echo. I'm using 7.1 mode, 3D Auto or On. For example, in the witcher 3, someone will be talking and sound fine. But as I run closer to them, the sound gets echo-y. I haven't really been able to pinpoint exactly when it occurs, but I didn't notice it when I turned 3D off and switched to stereo. I would describe the echo as similar to the sound when listening to a physical 7.1 stereo setup.
Does it have something to do with my HTRF measurements? Do other people notice this?
You can reduce the room ambience in the AUDEZE HQ app.

The default 35 is too much for me, for listening to music e.g.
I have it set to 22.3.
With pure speech the room reverb becomes plainly audible even more, and too much.

The 3D effect works completly without room ambience too, the artificial room (reverb) just adds to the realism of emulating a speaker setup in a room.

Music usually has it's own room/ambience in the recording, which mixes with the one from Mobius and covers it.
Speech is mostly recorded quite dry, without reverb.
Speech has a lower density then music too.
That's why Mobius' artificial ambience becomes overly present with speech, and often in games when there is no music.

EDIT: Seems dubbzy104 has a different, a software bug problem.
Still the above is true for the normal use case.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #4,700 of 5,780

I have had this problem happen a few times since I bought mine. Suddenly you get weird reverb issues with surround sound output in games. I've noticed if I disconnect them from PC, switch to bluetooth from my phone, power down, reconnect to PC and power back up it seems to get rid of it. If you google "audeze mobius reverb issue" there is a few others describing the same thing.

Mar 28, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #4,701 of 5,780
I have had this problem happen a few times since I bought mine. Suddenly you get weird reverb issues with surround sound output in games. I've noticed if I disconnect them from PC, switch to bluetooth from my phone, power down, reconnect to PC and power back up it seems to get rid of it. If you google "audeze mobius reverb issue" there is a few others describing the same thing.
We haven't seen this issue reported before. To make sure we understand this completely, even if you reduce the reverb to zero in the app, you still get a reverb ? When this happens, does it also happen during music.
@KMann

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Mar 29, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #4,702 of 5,780
We haven't seen this issue reported before. To make sure we understand this completely, even if you reduce the reverb to zero in the app, you still get a reverb ? When this happens, does it also happen during music.
@KMann

The reverb setting has no effect. I only use the headphones in 7.1 with 3D on. It doesn't go away by cycling through modes, powercycling or replugging them in. I believe it does it to all sound game/music but it most noticeable to me in games, especially BF5 the footsteps and the weapons. It sounds like the ambiance is cranked waaay up and there is a reverb. This happened to me on the second day I owned them and I thought I was going crazy because they sounded fantastic the first day. I was on the verge of returning them until I found a reddit thread and reset them.

Here is the reddit thread where it is discussed: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/cul2nh/audeze_mobius_71_reverb/
Here is someone from this forum (resinstalling didnt fix it for me): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-7-1-reverb.913679/

Mar 29, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #4,703 of 5,780
@KMann
I'm pretty sure this is the same issue I reported a long time ago which hasn't been fixed up to now. In some situations the two rear channels of the 7.1 mode become slightly desynchronized with the other channels, which causes an echo-like effect when listening to surround audio. One way to make this happen is to disconnect the USB cable to switch to Bluetooth mode (without having it connected to any Bluetooth device) and then immediately plugging the cable back in. The problem is not apparent with stereo audio because those do not use the rear channels. As the others have stated one way to fix this is to switch back to Bluetooth mode, power off the Mobius, plug in the USB cable and then power it back on. Another way to get back to normal is by cycling the USB audio modes (to Stereo, Hi-Res, back to 7.1).

I have reported this via the support center as well as through PMs to @KMann a while ago. I eventually gave up on this issue as it didn't really impact me and the support staff had trouble reproducing the issue. Now that other people seem to be reporting the same thing I think it's worth looking into again. I can provide the support ticket number and other information if needed.

EDIT: Messing around with it just now I noticed the issue doesn't appear 100% of the time when doing the unplug-replug procedure. However after unplugging and replugging a second time it did happen in those instances. That might be why the support staff had difficulty reproducing the issue.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #4,704 of 5,780
I'm pretty sure this is the same issue I reported a long time ago which hasn't been fixed up to now. In some situations the two rear channels of the 7.1 mode become slightly desynchronized with the other channels, which causes an echo-like effect when listening to surround audio. One way to make this happen is to disconnect the USB cable to switch to Bluetooth mode (without having it connected to any Bluetooth device) and then immediately plugging the cable back in. The problem is not apparent with stereo audio because those do not use the rear channels. As the others have stated one way to fix this is to switch back to Bluetooth mode, power off the Mobius, plug in the USB cable and then power it back on. Another way to get back to normal is by cycling the USB audio modes (to Stereo, Hi-Res, back to 7.1).

I have reported this via the support center as well as through PMs to @KMann a while ago. I eventually gave up on this issue as it didn't really impact me and the support staff had trouble reproducing the issue. Now that other people seem to be reporting the same thing I think it's worth looking into again. I can provide the support ticket number and other information if needed.

EDIT: Messing around with it just now I noticed the issue doesn't appear 100% of the time when doing the unplug-replug procedure. However after unplugging and replugging a second time it did happen in those instances. That might be why the support staff had difficulty reproducing the issue.

You might be onto something with the unplugging/replugging. I remember now that last time it happened to me is when I unplugged/replugged to get a twist out of the usb cable as my pc was booting up.

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #4,705 of 5,780
Thanks everyone for the info and links! It sounds exactly like the rear channels are getting slightly desynced; the reverb sound seems to come from "behind". Most of the times, cycling through 7.1/high res/stereo fixes it.

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #4,706 of 5,780
Thanks everyone for the info and links! It sounds exactly like the rear channels are getting slightly desynced; the reverb sound seems to come from "behind". Most of the times, cycling through 7.1/high res/stereo fixes it.
Glad I was able to help. Although it can be worked around it would still be nice if @Audeze could eventually fix this bug.

Mar 30, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #4,707 of 5,780
I still have some questions about Moebius energy management:

1. Does BT-protocol differs in terms of energy consumption?
2. Does USB version differs in changing time?
3. Does different voltages affect on battery lifetime?
4. Final and most unobvious question about power consumption:

Sure, max volume consumes maximum amount of energy. But in my case, Moubius signal goes through stationary DAC to stationary PreAmp, where I can rise volume level A LOT. Then from preamp signal goes to Sony AV-receiver 1080, where it is transmitted via LDAC onto Moebius. 1080 and Moebius are working even better, than I expected and as a BT-pair they are strictly related bo each other in terms of all BT function management.
There we have 2 different cases:
1) When I am maxing volume on Moebius itself or 1080, Audeze reaching maximum level of inner amp limits and battery consuming reaching maximum. It is plain and simple.
But!
2) What if I set cans @ 50% volume level, but give a bit more powerful signal from preamp to transmitting 1080 to reach the same level of volume, will the battery consumption be the same?

Mar 31, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #4,708 of 5,780
@SAEMPERSUN123
Volume is dependent on the distance the diaphragm moves. If you have a signal strength 5 and you amplify it to strength 10 it will take the same amount of energy (charge) as if you have a signal strength 1 and amplify it to 10. It's not the amplification which costs energy, that's a simple calculation. It's the amount of electrical energy converted into physical energy at the diaphragm.
This is ignoring the obvious conversation about distortion when applying a high level signal to an amp (the one in the Moebius).
It's also a question which would apply to any set of headphones, not just the Moebius.

Mar 31, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #4,709 of 5,780
Finally got my Mobius today! Still playing with it but at least for my desktop gaming and music, I dont see it replacing my Blaster X3 + Fidelio X2HR combination. What I am hoping to get out of it is Oculus gaming via the Bluetooth connectivity and also for my phone to see how that works for 3D surround effects.
Guess the open sound of the X2HR spoiled me and it makes it hard to enjoy a closed can as much. Also the 3D effect, I dont find it as good as my X3 SBX (which can be tweaked a lot). Is not bad at all, but I prefer the SBX. In any case, it should be nice for Oculus gaming.
Anyways, clamping is a bit too much but I think I can get used to it.
Totally hate the whole changing to 2 channel, highres etc...but at least is better than NOT having the options.
Any tips on how to get the best of them?

Apr 1, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #4,710 of 5,780
I have been using the Mobius for the past year now and had upgraded successfully to firmware v5 a couple of months back. I mostly use the headphones plugged in through USB to my PC (Audeze HQ installed).

A few days back, while listening in 7.1 mode 3D on, all of a sudden, the volume of the headphones slowly went down to nearly zero automatically, stayed quiet for a few seconds, then volume came back up. The sound specially the bass seemed to be cracked and the bass sounded muddy. I thought it might a problem with the USB port. So i plugged in the headphones via OTG to my android phone and the sound seemed fine in Hi-Res mode. After that I re-plugged the mobius to another USB port on my PC. Then uninstalled and re-installed the Audeze HQ and re-tried firmware upgrade where it showed that the headphones were already upgraded. Amazingly the headphones started sounded better than they earlier were. It seemed as if the firmware was finallly correctly installed, as the balance seemed more centered and bass response on the right ear sounded more balanced. The sound image seemed much better than before the actual incident.

Everything was running fine. But today again all of a sudden the same problem occurred. Running in 7.1 mode 3D on, the volume went down by itself and then came back up within 10 seconds. Now the bass response is completey cracked and the headphones cant be listened to at all as the bass and vocals sound completely muddy and crackling a lot. It seems its cracking because the sub-bass is not being played correctly as I am missing the vibration of the ear pads during the bass response. I tried changing to other USB ports as well as on android phone, bluetooth, etc. but the sound seems to be crackling in all modes. Please let me know if anyone has faced a similar issue or has any ideas on how to resolve. Thanks.

*update* When playing from android phone over bluetooth, the sound does not seem to be cracked and quite clean.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back