Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Dec 16, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #4,471 of 5,780
Hi, from what I am reading it sounds like the Mobius has an internal dac. Does that mean that the dac does downsampling when needed and what would be the highest resolution that the dac would natively support? thanks

Dec 16, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #4,472 of 5,780
Hey all,

I very recently purchased the Mobius and have become floored with the musical performance while using "high res" mode. I never knew it was possible to experience "attack" in headphones and have always thought that all headphones must be similarly quick and agile seeing as the speakers are so close to the ears and have so small drivers. I have found myself listening to old songs all over again finding layers and nuances in the bass that I have never heard before. This has got me thinking, if the Mobius, at its price, and do this.. Then what can the LCD-2 or LCD-X do for me?

So the question is, for all you knowledgable people. Would it be worth it to check out the LCD-2 Classic or LCD-X? I was thinking of perhaps pairing the headphones with a Rme ADI-2 which has a 5 band PEQ, as I seem to have read that the Mobius out of the box has better bass than the LCD-2. Any pointers / help would be greatly appreciated.
Mobius and LCD two are quite different in a lot of aspects.
The Mobius has a built in DSP, DAC and amplifier.
So AUDEZE had the opportunity to put in equalization, free to their taste, unlimited but physical circumstances.
Which they did, even offering several different EQ presets for different tastes.
And don't underestimate the immersive effect of the head tracking 3-D

For the passive (no amplifier) LCD series AUDEZE is limited to what is doable by pure acoustic tuning.
If you plan to use parametric equalization however you can tune an LCD to whatever you like too.

Does it make sense to own both if the basic differences (open/closed, amped/passive) are NOT the reason for a decision?
It's hard to decide if the closed back Mobius or the open back LCD2 has a higher sound quality, as they are very differently tuned. I think they are shoulder to shoulder, despite their different tuning, maybe the LCD is a hair in front.

For those who are interested, here are frequency response measurements, comparing AUDEZE Mobius "Flat" preset, AUDEZE LCD2 revision 2, and as a reference the Sennheiser HD 800S.
These are raw measurements, done on an orthoplastic copy of my own ear.
Measurement microphone at the entrance of the ear channel.
IMG_1417.PNG

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #4,473 of 5,780
Gel is thinner but more firm so it kept its shape and the drivers are further away from my ears than stock.
The very back of my ears touch very slightly but I don't really notice it.
Is it better than the original pads in terms of heat / feeling less warm? Does it get warm over time?

I also have another question, microphone functions doesn't work with the Creative BT-W2? What about other bluetooth 4.0 dongles? Can't seem to find a 5.0 dongle anywhere here in Malaysia.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #4,474 of 5,780
Is it better than the original pads in terms of heat / feeling less warm? Does it get warm over time?

I also have another question, microphone functions doesn't work with the Creative BT-W2? What about other bluetooth 4.0 dongles? Can't seem to find a 5.0 dongle anywhere here in Malaysia.
For me takes longer to heat up but will eventually get warm.

The BT requires a headset with Aptx Low latency so only particular mic sets will work with it. Don't know why they picked that codec only. Personally haven't checked for any other dongles.

Dec 18, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #4,475 of 5,780
For me takes longer to heat up but will eventually get warm.

The BT requires a headset with Aptx Low latency so only particular mic sets will work with it. Don't know why they picked that codec only. Personally haven't checked for any other dongles.
Alright thanks. Will look at the gel pads.

Btw just updated the Mobius. Which mode & sound profile do you guys like the most? I’m enjoying spotify using the music profile on hi-res. Although it might be bad during gaming as the highs are tamed down quite a bit, flat is probably the best for it.

And one more, does cable matter? Is the usb-c to usb-c the best cable to use?

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #4,476 of 5,780
Alright thanks. Will look at the gel pads.

Btw just updated the Mobius. Which mode & sound profile do you guys like the most? I’m enjoying spotify using the music profile on hi-res. Although it might be bad during gaming as the highs are tamed down quite a bit, flat is probably the best for it.

And one more, does cable matter? Is the usb-c to usb-c the best cable to use?
Using Firmware V5 - USB:1.01 MCU:1.71 DSP:25 (in earlier FWs the EQ presets have less bass, FW5's "Flat" ≈ former FW's "Music" EQ):
7.1ch, 3D Automatic, Headtracking on, "Flat" EQ preset - gives great immersive sound.

Set your head dimensions in the AUDEZE HQ app, it makes a difference.
"Room Ambience" got reduced to 22.3 there, this makes the additional reverb almost inaudible with normal music.

I use the USB-C to USB-A cable, both versions of Apple CCK Adapters on iPhone and iPad.
The analog (3.5mm) connection does sound practically indistinguishable similar, if no digital connection is at hand.

The supplied USB-A to USB-C cable is of minor quality, I had to treat it with Teslonal T6 contact cleaner to make it work properly, now it does.

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #4,477 of 5,780
Using Firmware V5 - USB:1.01 MCU:1.71 DSP:25 (in earlier FWs the EQ presets have less bass, FW5's "Flat" ≈ former FW's "Music" EQ):
7.1ch, 3D Automatic, Headtracking on, "Flat" EQ preset - gives great immersive sound.

Set your head dimensions in the AUDEZE HQ app, it makes a difference.
"Room Ambience" got reduced to 22.3 there, this makes the additional reverb almost inaudible with normal music.

I use the USB-C to USB-A cable, both versions of Apple CCK Adapters on iPhone and iPad.
The analog (3.5mm) connection does sound practically indistinguishable similar, if no digital connection is at hand.

The supplied USB-A to USB-C cable is of minor quality, I had to treat it with Teslonal T6 contact cleaner to make it work properly, now it does.
Thank you so much for that, I will definitely try it out. I presume that is for gaming? For music listening the ‘flat’ profile is very good in terms of clarity but a tad too bright to my likings. Just a lil bit tho. Might get used to it.

My head’s measurements are done but the Room Ambience is not touched. Do I have to measure the room?

I see, planning to buy a good cable actually. Just wondering if there’s any difference between USB-A to USB-C cable compared to USB-C to USB-C cable in terms of SQ. Though it’s harder for me to find a 3 meter USB-C to USB-C cable here surprisingly.

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #4,478 of 5,780
My head’s measurements are done but the Room Ambience is not touched. Do I have to measure the room?

I see, planning to buy a good cable actually. Just wondering if there’s any difference between USB-A to USB-C cable compared to USB-C to USB-C cable in terms of SQ. Though it’s harder for me to find a 3 meter USB-C to USB-C cable here surprisingly.

The room size is purely the emulation of how big the room would sound on the headphones with 3D enabled. nothing to do with anything outside the headphones. You don't need to measure your room

There will be no difference in sound quality between cables, both are sending exactly the same digital 1's and 0's. It's just a case of which one is most convenient for you.

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #4,479 of 5,780
How's the detail retrieval of the mobius? Have a pc37x and it's just not working on the new duty with mixam . Cant pinpoint footsteps unless there's nothing going on and only if they are close. Why are none of the gaming headphones marketed as being super detailed

Dec 18, 2019 at 7:54 PM Post #4,480 of 5,780
Thank you so much for that, I will definitely try it out. I presume that is for gaming? For music listening the ‘flat’ profile is very good in terms of clarity but a tad too bright to my likings. Just a lil bit tho. Might get used to it.

Room Ambience lets you dial in the amount of reverb added, maybe even changing different parameters like room size (to me it sounds like it does not).
Not connected to you own room in any way.
To me the default 35 adds too much reverb - a matter of taste.
Give it a try, and don't forget to note down your head dimensions settings (best in Mobius user manual).
Fine-tuning the head size values +/- a notch or two can improve the experience, watch out if the "soundcolor" fits better or worse.
These parameters are only valid in 3-D.
In "Stereo" (without 3-D) or "High Resolution" they have no effect.

I do not game.
Flat preset I do use for music listening: jazz, world, chamber music, classical, a little bit of pop and rock... I'm quite interested in non-mainstream music, if recorded in good quality.
For these types of music in fact an even brighter or more "airy" preset would be welcome, depending on the recording.
This is especially true in combination with 3-D emulation.
Depending on the recording I do use other EQ presets too.

"Flat" and "Default" EQ have the same frequency response, only that "Default" is a bit louder overall, making it sound different in the first place when comparing.
Same applies to "Ballistics" and "Racing", almost similar when normalized to the same reference level.
So there are two EQ preset slots that could be used for variations, to make Mobius more versatile.
Here are measurements of mine, proofing what I said.
Mobius Firmware V5, on Bruel & Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153:
IMG_1204.PNG

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #4,483 of 5,780
The room size is purely the emulation of how big the room would sound on the headphones with 3D enabled. nothing to do with anything outside the headphones. You don't need to measure your room

There will be no difference in sound quality between cables, both are sending exactly the same digital 1's and 0's. It's just a case of which one is most convenient for you.
I see, thank you for the input. I have purchased a decent quality 3meter USB-A to USB-C for the Mobius. Now awaiting for arrival.

Room Ambience lets you dial in the amount of reverb added, maybe even changing different parameters like room size (to me it sounds like it does not).
Not connected to you own room in any way.
To me the default 35 adds too much reverb - a matter of taste.
Give it a try, and don't forget to note down your head dimensions settings (best in Mobius user manual).
Fine-tuning the head size values +/- a notch or two can improve the experience, watch out if the "soundcolor" fits better or worse.
These parameters are only valid in 3-D.
In "Stereo" (without 3-D) or "High Resolution" they have no effect.

I do not game.
Flat preset I do use for music listening: jazz, world, chamber music, classical, a little bit of pop and rock... I'm quite interested in non-mainstream music, if recorded in good quality.
For these types of music in fact an even brighter or more "airy" preset would be welcome, depending on the recording.
This is especially true in combination with 3-D emulation.
Depending on the recording I do use other EQ presets too.

"Flat" and "Default" EQ have the same frequency response, only that "Default" is a bit louder overall, making it sound different in the first place when comparing.
Same applies to "Ballistics" and "Racing", almost similar when normalized to the same reference level.
So there are two EQ preset slots that could be used for variations, to make Mobius more versatile.
Here are measurements of mine, proofing what I said.
Mobius Firmware V5, on Bruel & Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153:
Thank you so much for the input. I understand it much better now & will definitely try your setup once my cable has arrived.

And yes it’s true about flat being airy. Non-mainstream / vocals kinda music would be amazing on that profile. I do find mainstream to be a little bit harsh (a tiny bit) at times, definitely due to recording quality of the songs, and that mainstream don’t need that much detail on the high end.

Thanks for the measurements too. Do you have the current ‘Music’ profile measurement as well? So I could see how different it is to flat / default.

Btw, about the gel pads, does it alter the sound of the Mobius? Thinking of buying it now.

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:12 AM Post #4,484 of 5,780
I have purchased a decent quality 3meter USB-A to USB-C for the Mobius.
Thanks for the measurements too. Do you have the current ‘Music’ profile measurement as well? So I could see how different it is to flat / default.
Btw, about the gel pads, does it alter the sound of the Mobius? Thinking of buying it now.
The gel pads are said to be developed to change the sound as little as possible, but as you know, you never swim twice in the same river.

Regarding cables:
No cable in the world in any position in the audio chain does alter the sound as long as it transfers the signal technically uncompromised. It's all snake oil, Period!
The bad side of this:
people believe and try to correct shortcommings in their equipment by spending remarkable amounts of money with no avail, which could better be spent in higher quality headphones or speakers.

The above is not true for the mediocre USB-A to USB-C cable that is supplied with the Mobius, at least with the first batch: the connection is not reliable, only after treating it with a high-quality contact cleaner (Teslanol T6) it does work here.
This might be one reason for the advice AUDEZE gave for for Firmware Update: not to move the Mobius during the process.
And the bad contacting might even be a reason for some firmware update-bricked Mobius.

Here is a chart with the:
Relative frequency responses of all Mobius FW5 EQ Presets, referenced to "Flat" EQ.
Watch out for the very fine scaling of 1dB/line, and the vol. level differences that partly make the differences between presets look (and sound!) bigger than they actually are:
e.g. "Default" (brown) is just 1 dB quiter than "Flat" (= 0dB line), otherwise the same.

IMG_1098.PNG

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #4,485 of 5,780
Any Audeze reps,

Any word on getting the analog values of the head tracking working so we can use it for flight/space/racing games instead of TrackIR or other head trackers?

This. I really think this would make a really compelling use case. My trackIR 5 never worked well despite a lot of troubleshooting.. Looking at the head tracking in the audeze app it looks like it would work MUCH better for in game head tracking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back