Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 7, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #4,292 of 5,780
upload_2019-10-7_17-5-24.png

When I Enable the BT Input Device, I have no sound through my headphones (Computer).

When I disable the Input Device, I instantly have volume through my headphones. (Computer)

I verified via my phone and BT Output / Input both work perfectly fine.

Anyone else have this issue?

From the Article:

To clarify further, the issue with audio quality when using a microphone over Bluetooth is related to the bandwidth limitations of that connection type. When a microphone is not in use, Mobius will receive high quality audio over BT through SBC, AAC, or LDAC codecs. However, as soon as you initiate a voice call the device will switch to SCO or the Hands-Free protocol. This effectively downsamples the audio signal so that audio can be received and transmitted while still conforming to BT's inherent bandwidth limitations.

The question is... Why isn't this the case via Phone?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #4,293 of 5,780
Man, Mobius sounds great in 3D mode via USB with lossless files. The soundstage really is more spacious. I still haven't found a solution for using it with my Mac though since it cuts out every few seconds in 2-channel and 7-channel modes, but HiFi works fine. (It will play music for a second, cut out for two seconds, and so on.) I'm still on MacOS 10.12.5 Sierra and I had the issue with both pairs I've owned so I'm sure it's a software glitch and not an issue with Mobius.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #4,294 of 5,780

When I Enable the BT Input Device, I have no sound through my headphones (Computer).

When I disable the Input Device, I instantly have volume through my headphones. (Computer)

I verified via my phone and BT Output / Input both work perfectly fine.

Anyone else have this issue?

From the Article:

To clarify further, the issue with audio quality when using a microphone over Bluetooth is related to the bandwidth limitations of that connection type. When a microphone is not in use, Mobius will receive high quality audio over BT through SBC, AAC, or LDAC codecs. However, as soon as you initiate a voice call the device will switch to SCO or the Hands-Free protocol. This effectively downsamples the audio signal so that audio can be received and transmitted while still conforming to BT's inherent bandwidth limitations.

The question is... Why isn't this the case via Phone?
When the microphone input is activated (used by any application), the A2DP output device gets disabled and a new mSBC output device is created. This mSBC output device may not be selected as the default output device, in which case you must set it as the default output device while the microphone is active. Mobile phones are smart enough to automatically switch to the matching mSBC output device when the A2DP device is disabled, but a PC will simply fall back to the next output device in the list which may not be the mSBC device. Some applications may also hang as they don't gracefully handle the output device disappearing during use. You will always have 16 kHz mono audio on Bluetooth while the microphone is active. When the microphone input is deactivated (released by all applications), the A2DP output device gets reactivated.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #4,295 of 5,780
Not sure if we've been through this before it not, does the overdriven sound occur after you change modes? What happens if you unplug and plug it back in again once you have it set to the desired mode?
I think we may have but I don't think anything came of the last time I mentioned this. The overdriven sound is pretty much exclusive to the 7.1 mode at all volumes. Unplugging and plugging back in, rebooting, and switching profiles/mode does nothing. Though interestingly, switching from a Bluetooth call back to 7.1 seemed to make the distortion go away, but it slowly crept back. It's baffling.

Oct 8, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #4,296 of 5,780
I've just tried to do the firmware update following the instructions on https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...-Mobius-firmware-using-the-HQ-App-for-Windows and something went wrong :triportsad:

I got a message saying it failed to update at the very beginning of the process and now my Mobius doesn't power on at all. Before the update attempt I was running on:

USB 1.02
MCU 1.55
DSP 23

Anyone has a suggestion on what I could try next or is this a perfect case of bricked headphones and all I can do is get in touch with Audeze Support?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #4,298 of 5,780
Oct 10, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #4,299 of 5,780
Why does that exist? Does Audeze make it? It's using the Audeze drivers and software at a minimum. Is it just a rebranded Mobius?

All very good questions. It looks to me like its a Audeze rebrand rather then Hyper X taking the parts and making it themselves. All except the paint is the same and the software is basically identical too.

It's not uncommon to happen, i'm just surprised it has. Audeze had a uniquely their's product.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #4,300 of 5,780
This was announced several months back. Its basically just a wired mobius. To answer your question "why?". Who knows. 3d audio seems to be all the rage these days.

** and yes audeze pretty much loaned them their hardware for rebranding or something like that.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #4,301 of 5,780
I believe it was said that they were going to do their own tunings too.

Also a bit odd that it still has a power on button as I would have just expected it to be powered by the USB since there's no wireless. Does that mean it also will have a battery that needs to be charged or is that actually just an on off switch?

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #4,302 of 5,780
Gotta make money somehow.

Oct 10, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #4,303 of 5,780
It's a good thing not a bad; Other companies are doing headsets this year with the -same nwaves- tech; Audeze was just ahead of the market. Having more models in production means extra revisions on the headset internally (things we don't hear about, but they will prolly fix the weak spots that are breaking) and more headsets means cheaper repairs/replacements for users. It also means a longer software/firmware life. We're not just getting a 1 off headset, where we jump brands in a year because the newer tech is better, cheaper.

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #4,304 of 5,780
I believe that repairs/support is done by HyperX for the Orbit S, as well. Probably distribution too.

Oct 14, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #4,305 of 5,780
I normally listen to Shure SE846's when mobile and at home a set of KEF LSX speakers with Kef 8b sub but tried a few headphones recently including HD800, HD660S, B&W P7 WiFi, Sony 1000X3 and settled on a set of these now which I've had for about 3 months.

I don't use them that much as no headphone matches the audio quality out of my LSX setup at Home but when I do its mostly via BT with LDAC at 990kbps and to me they are so much better than others I've used/tried wired or BT for music playback, let alone movies & gaming. For IEM's the SE846's have amazing sub-base while being stunning across the range and these Mobius are similar.

The 3D audio while gaming & movies is in another dimension all together compared to other headphones.

You really get value for money with these, especially as I got mine mint as new for £200 too :o2smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back