Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 8, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #4,172 of 5,780
If you fear to brick your Mobius don't do the update, wait for a confirmed stable version.
The changes might not be worth the possible hustle, they improve the experience by not more than 20%.

The main changes up to Firmware V5 are:

- Addition of a so called "Warm" preset, which boosts the bass and cuts the treble more than the others.

- Correction of left/right frequency response differences caused by different acoustic properties of left and right cup.
These corrections boost the bass compared to the V1-V3 presets, now "Flat" sounds about what "Music" was before.

- Addition of the possibility to use the HRTF without head tracking, called "3-D On".
Not much use on my side, as head tracking is what really makes the 3-D experience work for me.

- Improved behavior of the head tracking.

- Microphones noise gate is removed, and microphone gain seems to be slightly boosted.
At least, the primary problems with the microphone seem to have been solved, there are no more complaints about it.
I can't tell much because I don't use the microphone.

- Fixes of several smaller bugs that appear under certain circumstances. Nothing that would stop you from using the Mobius.

First become familiar with your Mobius.
If you want to use the 3-D mode (the main reason someone would buy the Mobius), I strongly suggest to precisely set up your head dimensions in the Audeze HQ app for best experience.
Personally I reduced the room setting to 22.3 to bring down the reverb to a level that is usually not noticeable with music.
Which preset to use depends on your personal taste.
I mostly used "Music" with "3-D Manual" before FW V5, now I mainly use "Flat", with "3-D Auto".

If you really want to do the update, follow all the advice patiently and slavishly.
Take your time!
First make sure that you have a really stable connection, computer- and cable wise.
The supplied USB-C cable tends to make problems here.
Test it by slightly wiggling on the connectors on both sides, while running music.
An unstable connection during FW update will brick your Mobius.
If the connection is reliable, precisely run through the process without disturbing it.
There is no shortcut!

Where is this firmware?

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #4,174 of 5,780
...and nothing ever happened and I wonder!
I have a Mobius that is only working correctly when I turn 90° to the left and manually set the headtracking!
Auto and Off are absolutely not usable. I'm thinking about returning it to the seller. My Spatial Sound Card does a better job on my desc computer and Creative Sxfi with my mobile phone.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #4,177 of 5,780
Will we ever be able to create your own EQ settings? For movies I find that the deep low ends in "Warm" are very suiting but it loses clarity in the high frequencies. I'd just love to use the default preset but boost the ends.
I asked that longer time ago here and got the reply from @KMann that this will not happen because of memory restrictions (hard to believe these days, where memory comes cheap).

Sep 10, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #4,179 of 5,780
After the release of the mobius memory got cheap.
I guess they use the DSP / Audio Codec chip's internal memory only, and this is usually quite limited.
Common practise!
Extra memory uses extra power and reduces battery life, except if flash memory is used.

But, keep in mind, this is only speculative, I did not look inside Mobius.

Sep 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #4,180 of 5,780
I envision custom eq to be handled in the app then loaded on the mobius presets replacing current unused if so desired. No idea if thats doable. It would also be cool if in the app we could zero out certain 3d and preset options to make it quicker to switch between preffered options on the mobius hardware. I rarely use the headtracking feature. In its current iteration it doesnt really add any sense of immersion for me. Perhaps that could be tweaked in later fw. Finally it would be useful to have the head measurements be adjustable in real time in the app without having to apply. Might make experimentation and fine tuning more efficient. Pipe dreams all, but would be sweet.
I guess they use the DSP / Audio Codec chip's internal memory only, and this is usually quite limited.
Common practise!
Extra memory uses extra power and reduces battery life, except if flash memory is used.

But, keep in mind, this is only speculative, I did not look inside Mobius.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #4,181 of 5,780
Apologies in advance if this has been answered before, I've read through a bunch of this thread and tried searching a few intuitive terms...

I have got to say as someone who is somewhat of an Audeze fanboy (currently own iSine 20's and LCD 2C, have owned multiple other sets) I hope there are easy fixes to some of the issues I'm experiencing or I'm being silly and someone can point out what I need to do different.

New Audeze Mobius - downloaded software from site, firmware update not available right now according to the site
USD FW: 99
MCU FW: 1.30
DSP FW 23

Windows 10

When plugged into a pc, selecting the 8 Channel setting in playback and recording devices, everything works fine and sounds good...but it's a whole different story when connecting via bluetooth. If I select 3D Bluetooth Stereo for playback and 3D BT Hands-Free for audio input/recording then I get no audio. If I select 3D BT Hands-Free for both playback and recording then audio sounds worse than the default set of earphones that came with my iPhone...

Question: When connected via bluetooth is the mic supposed to work along with high-quality sound? Is 3D Bluetooth Stereo for playback and 3D BT Hands-Free for recording the correct setting?

(I have a few other annoying issues like the voice which tells me which 3D mode I'm in has stopped working...and yes I've tried power cycling, changing the audio mode - which is pretty hard to do when it won't tell you what audio mode it's in and the app says it's off until it's plugged in via usb etc.)

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #4,182 of 5,780
Apologies in advance if this has been answered before, I've read through a bunch of this thread and tried searching a few intuitive terms...

I have got to say as someone who is somewhat of an Audeze fanboy (currently own iSine 20's and LCD 2C, have owned multiple other sets) the technical issues with this set I've experienced in the first 8 hours of playing with them have been pretty unimaginably disappointing and I'm not really sure where to start nor why Audeze would risk their reputation with allowing such an either unintuitive or unfinished product to fall into customer hands.

New Audeze Mobius
DSP FW 23

Windows 10

When plugged into a pc, selecting the 8 Channel setting in playback and recording devices, everything works fine and sounds good...but it's a whole different story when connecting via bluetooth. If I select 3D Bluetooth Stereo for playback and 3D BT Hands-Free for audio input/recording then I get no audio. If I select 3D BT Hands-Free for both playback and recording then audio sounds worse than the default set of cans that came with my iPhone...

Question: When connected via bluetooth is the mic supposed to work along with high-quality sound? Is 3D Bluetooth Stereo for playback and 3D BT Hands-Free for recording the correct setting?

(I have a million other issues like the voice which tells me which 3D mode I'm in has stopped working...and yes I've tried power cycling, changing the audio mode - which is pretty hard to do when it won't tell you what audio mode it's in and the app says it's off until it's plugged in via usb etc.)

Can't comment on some of the issues as I mainly use my Mobius for BT listening via my Android phone, but the loss of voice prompts / inability to switch mode will be related to the BT codec you are using.

If you use LDAC, Mobius defaults to HiRes connection only and disables the 3D (presumably something to do with the data transmission and processing requirements) - this is hard coded and can't be changed, so you basically can't use 3D with LDAC Bluetooth. If I want 3D audio via my phone via BT, I just go into the advanced settings on my phone handset and select one of the "midrange" BT code like AptX (can't remember if AptX HD or just standard off the top of my head). That brings the usual voice menus back, and allows full 3D function with good resolution.

Don't know if that helps or not?

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #4,183 of 5,780

I have got to say as someone who is somewhat of an Audeze fanboy (currently own iSine 20's and LCD 2C, have owned multiple other sets) I hope there are easy fixes to some of the issues I'm experiencing or I'm being silly and someone can point out what I need to do different.

New Audeze Mobius - downloaded software from site, firmware update not available right now according to the site
DSP FW 23

Windows 10

When plugged into a pc, selecting the 8 Channel setting in playback and recording devices, everything works fine and sounds good...but it's a whole different story when connecting via bluetooth. If I select 3D Bluetooth Stereo for playback and 3D BT Hands-Free for audio input/recording then I get no audio. If I select 3D BT Hands-Free for both playback and recording then audio sounds worse than the default set of earphones that came with my iPhone...

(I have a few other annoying issues like the voice which tells me which 3D mode I'm in has stopped working...and yes I've tried power cycling, changing the audio mode - which is pretty hard to do when it won't tell you what audio mode it's in and the app says it's off until it's plugged in via usb etc.)
When you're just listening to music with the mic disabled, your headphones only need to receive audio from your computer - not send. This allows it to use high-bitrate codecs like LDAC, AptX, etc.

The problem is that these high-bitrate codecs have absolutely no provision for bi-directional audio - you can only send LDAC in one direction, not two. The only bluetooth standard available has a very low bitrate, and that's why the Mobius sounds terrible whenever it has to send mic audio to your computer. I'm pretty sure there's nothing Audeze can do about it. They have to work with what bluetooth gives them.

Sep 11, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #4,184 of 5,780
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...h-quality-for-gaming-video-and-microphone-use

DSP FW 23

Windows 10

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #4,185 of 5,780
Can't comment on some of the issues as I mainly use my Mobius for BT listening via my Android phone, but the loss of voice prompts / inability to switch mode will be related to the BT codec you are using.

If you use LDAC, Mobius defaults to HiRes connection only and disables the 3D (presumably something to do with the data transmission and processing requirements) - this is hard coded and can't be changed, so you basically can't use 3D with LDAC Bluetooth. If I want 3D audio via my phone via BT, I just go into the advanced settings on my phone handset and select one of the "midrange" BT code like AptX (can't remember if AptX HD or just standard off the top of my head). That brings the usual voice menus back, and allows full 3D function with good resolution.

Don't know if that helps or not?
You can actually still use the LDAC codec with 3D as long as you change "Bluetooth Audio Sample Rate" to 48.0 kHz in Developer options (the default is 96.0 kHz).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back