Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 11, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #4,186 of 5,780
If you use LDAC, Mobius defaults to HiRes connection only and disables the 3D (presumably something to do with the data transmission and processing requirements) - this is hard coded and can't be changed, so you basically can't use 3D with LDAC Bluetooth. If I want 3D audio via my phone via BT, I just go into the advanced settings on my phone handset and select one of the "midrange" BT code like AptX (can't remember if AptX HD or just standard off the top of my head). That brings the usual voice menus back, and allows full 3D function with good resolution.

You can use ldac and 3d, just need to set the mobius to 2 channel mode by setting developer bluetooth rates to 16bit and 44khz or 48khz, you can select the highest playback quality as well. You only cant use 3d when you set ldac to 24bit/96khz, which puts the mobius in high res mode

Sep 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #4,187 of 5,780
Thanks for the help guys.

I found the Audeze Zendesk page a little earlier and wasn't sure if this was the issue because at first they mention high quality audio while using the mic is not possible...but then go on to describe settings which, when I mimick, I don't get any sound. With the same settings depicted in their screenshots, I get no sound...I've got change my playback device to the hands-free to get any sound BUT if I disable the hands-free from recording, then I can select Stereo from the Playback section and have it work.

No sound (their settings on the left, mine on the right):

audeze-mobius-1.PNG
audeze-mobius-2.PNG
audeze-mobius-3.PNG

Really bad sound:
audeze-mobius-bad-sound-1.PNG
audeze-mobius-bad-sound-2.PNG
audeze-mobius-bad-sound-3.PNG

Good bluetooth sound:
audeze-mobius-good-sound-1.PNG

audeze-mobius-good-sound-2.PNG

audeze-mobius-good-sound-3.PNG

So i guess the question is:
- With the settings depicted in that help article, are we supposed to hear sound?
- If so, doesn't that imply something weird is going on with my setup?

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #4,188 of 5,780
I guess they use the DSP / Audio Codec chip's internal memory only, and this is usually quite limited.
Common practise!
Extra memory uses extra power and reduces battery life, except if flash memory is used.

But, keep in mind, this is only speculative, I did not look inside Mobius.
The memory limitation is more to do with the voice cues taking up a lot of memory and not because we can't add more presets, the parameters themselves don't take much space.

Regarding custom EQ there is no point in doing it unless we can expose a 10 brand eq that will work on top of the flat tuning. But the DSP does not have the processing power to do 10 bands on top of the 8 channel processing and the ptesets right now but things can change in the future on optimizing existing algorithms.

Sep 12, 2019 at 4:57 AM Post #4,189 of 5,780
The memory limitation is more to do with the voice cues taking up a lot of memory and not because we can't add more presets, the parameters themselves don't take much space.

Regarding custom EQ there is no point in doing it unless we can expose a 10 brand eq that will work on top of the flat tuning. But the DSP does not have the processing power to do 10 bands on top of the 8 channel processing and the ptesets right now but things can change in the future on optimizing existing algorithms.
I'd rather use a lower bit rate on the voice cues if that helps to to overcome the memory limitation and can buy features in exchange.

Fully parametric (level, frequency, Q-factor) 12dB/Okt low and high shelve bands would already be a big improvement and cover most of the demands.
If there is still some processing power left, add one or two fully parametric mid bands to that, then almost everything meaningful could be done.

Mobius gives a really good sound to start with, so it's not necessary to completely change it's sound.

Plus - as I have shown some posts before (and here below), there are two pairs of presets that are almost identical (Flat ~= Default, Ballistics ~= Racing).
So there are two slots (Flat, Ballistics) that could be used for variations without changing any structural things.
I have hopes that this will come in the next firmware.

There are differences in the volume level of these presets, so in the first place they seem to sound different, but that's not true.
In the graph below the curves are normalized to 2 kHz, so the volume differences are not shown and one can clearly see the similarity:
IMG_1204.PNG

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #4,190 of 5,780
I'd rather use a lower bit rate on the voice cues if that helps to to overcome the memory limitation and can buy features in exchange.
We already do that. Band limited low bit rate voice for the muse :)

Fully parametric (level, frequency, Q-factor) 12dB/Okt low and high shelve bands would already be a big improvement and cover most of the demands.
If there is still some processing power left, add one or two fully parametric mid bands to that, then almost everything meaningful could be done.
PEQ can be intimidating to some compared to GEQ, but processing wise there is not much of a difference. Right now there is no direct support in SDK and requires significant change. We have thought about it.

Plus - as I have shown some posts before (and here below), there are two pairs of presets that are almost identical (Flat ~= Default, Ballistics ~= Racing).
So there are two slots (Flat, Ballistics) that could be used for variations without changing any structural things.
I have hopes that this will come in the next firmware.
Yes that is still a possibility

Sep 12, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #4,191 of 5,780
Not sure if I'll be able to explain this right. Here goes:

Anytime you use bluetooth with a mic the audio codec for input and output is switched to a lower bit rate mono audio codec(hands free). This means if you are using the mic for a bluetooth skype(pc) or phone call, that same codec(hands free) is used on the output(earphones). The sbc or ldac codec(bt stereo) will not come in to play at all in this scenario. Apologies if I misinterpreted your query :)

For higher quality input(mic)/output(planar driver) usb is reccomended.

Thanks for the help guys.

I found the Audeze Zendesk page a little earlier and wasn't sure if this was the issue because at first they mention high quality audio while using the mic is not possible...but then go on to describe settings which, when I mimick, I don't get any sound. With the same settings depicted in their screenshots, I get no sound...I've got change my playback device to the hands-free to get any sound BUT if I disable the hands-free from recording, then I can select Stereo from the Playback section and have it work.

No sound (their settings on the left, mine on the right):

Really bad sound:

Good bluetooth sound:

So i guess the question is:
- With the settings depicted in that help article, are we supposed to hear sound?
- If so, doesn't that imply something weird is going on with my setup?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #4,192 of 5,780
Got it, thank you. Definitely understand in principal.
If that is correct, then this means that the screenshots provided by Audeze in this help article actually aren't supposed to, and don't produce any sound: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...h-quality-for-gaming-video-and-microphone-use
That's the bizarre part that has me thinking I might be doing something wrong.

Not sure if I'll be able to explain this right. Here goes:

Anytime you use bluetooth with a mic the audio codec for input and output is switched to a lower bit rate mono audio codec(hands free). This means if you are using the mic for a bluetooth skype(pc) or phone call, that same codec(hands free) is used on the output(earphones). The sbc or ldac codec(bt stereo) will not come in to play at all in this scenario. Apologies if I misinterpreted your query :)

For higher quality input(mic)/output(planar driver) usb is reccomended.

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #4,193 of 5,780
A few things that comes to mind is if your usb cable is attached to the mobius you need to double press the 3d button to switch to bluetooth. I've rarely used the mic function on the mobius and wonder if after a call using the mic if it automatically switches back to the better performing codecs(bt stereo sbc,ldac) or does it manually need to be changed in phone or pc settings? Just thinking out loud...
Got it, thank you. Definitely understand in principal.
If that is correct, then this means that the screenshots provided by Audeze in this help article actually aren't supposed to, and don't produce any sound: https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...h-quality-for-gaming-video-and-microphone-use
That's the bizarre part that has me thinking I might be doing something wrong.

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #4,194 of 5,780
Reasonable idea, gave it a shot, unfortunately no go.

If you have a second, would you mind emulating my settings (connect via BT, set playback device to 3D BT Stereo, set recording device to 3D BT Hands-free) and let me know if sound works at all?

A few things that comes to mind is if your usb cable is attached to the mobius you need to double press the 3d button to switch to bluetooth. I've rarely used the mic function on the mobius and wonder if after a call using the mic if it automatically switches back to the better performing codecs(bt stereo sbc,ldac) or does it manually need to be changed in phone or pc settings? Just thinking out loud...

Sep 13, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #4,195 of 5,780
I did the test and found the only time I did not get sound(youtube video) is when the windows sound panel recording tab was in the foreground. The mic levels did not register in the sound level bar as well but I was not on a call(where hands free codec takes over both input and output). Not sure why that is but guess it is most likely a windows policy choice and not a problem with the mobius. Hope this helps:beerchug:

Reasonable idea, gave it a shot, unfortunately no go.

If you have a second, would you mind emulating my settings (connect via BT, set playback device to 3D BT Stereo, set recording device to 3D BT Hands-free) and let me know if sound works at all?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #4,196 of 5,780
Very cool, thank you...there is hope after all. If I can get my sound to work with the same settings I'll be a happy camper.

I did the test and found the only time I did not get sound(youtube video) is when the windows sound panel recording tab was in the foreground. The mic levels did not register in the sound level bar as well but I was not on a call(where hands free codec takes over both input and output). Not sure why that is but guess it is most likely a windows policy choice and not a problem with the mobius. Hope this helps:beerchug:

Sep 16, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #4,198 of 5,780
We would like to do a limited release for this community (V5 of firmware and updated HQ app):

Please note - If your HQ App shows USB:v102, MCU:v1.71, DSP:v25, there is nothing new for you here , you already have the latest.

I strongly advice those who are not in the US to wait a few more days to make sure no major issue are reported.

Please note that the links shared here are not permanent. This is a limited release till it goes live on our web page.

-For instructions on the firmware update process, please read this support document.

-Download the beta firmware and the newest version of Audeze HQ here

-Uninstall your existing Audeze HQ app. The new version installs new drivers and you may need administrative privileges during installation.

-Please make sure you've installed the latest version of the Audeze HQ software (included in the packet above) before proceeding. When installing, you may get a warning message that this software is not from a recognized developer, since this is the beta version of the software. If this happens, please click "More info" at the top, and then "Install anyway" near the bottom to continue with the installation.

Please note that you should NOT install the firmware using a "Virtual Machine," such as Windows running in a Linux environment, etc. It must be done on a true Windows machine, otherwise the installation may cause problems with your Mobius that would require them to be shipped to us for reprogramming.

Do not use any external USB hubs, and if possible, connect to the USB port on your computer that's closest to your mother-board.

For even more info on the ins and outs of Mobius, we invite you to peruse our Mobius Technical Questions help page.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #4,199 of 5,780
Updated successfully.... IF mic muting is so important, please stress these steps and please stress within the app itself these steps. So at the start of your update paragraph please tell people they will be going through the process twice, so they know to read further. I missed the unmute mic a 2nd time for the DSP upgrade, but it went through fine anyways. Additionally before telling people to uninstall the app, please please tell them to write all their head measurements down as your app didn't seem to save them after uninstall.

Umm, did you mess the mic monitoring? Again, I hate this feature, nothing is worse than hearing background noises in your own ears from a mic setting you have no detailed control over INCLUDING in the app interface itself. You guys have got to move away from taking features and forcing them on users. You stepped back on the 3d. but requiring a user to have mic volume lower than 60 just to not hear the mic in your ears is a BAD BAD feature from usability we do not know what the exact number is and your app doesn't tell us so we are at your whim on these features which sucks, no other headset does this.

OH wait it's even worse... now that I figured it out you've introduced a bug by trying to add a usability BEEP for the mic letting a user know the BEEP is the 'I've reached the mic monitor point in the hardware" however... you guys messed up, now that beep is overriding the change EQ feature. except it's the same beep you get when you reach a max volume, so in your desire for keeping this mic monitoring feature you've now reached the point where you're trying to get creative on prompts/features and breaking your usability both with a confusing sound prompt where it should not be but also the basics of the headset. This is the point where the headset is getting concerning, because it seems like these details are not being thought out or tested critically. I say this because despite our end having wait time for a driver, they can still test and change internally, they don't just stop work because they are waiting for Microsoft. So Yes i'm jump on you for the bad, because this stuff should not of gotten to me the user who uses the headset daily and figured out these bugs in the first few minutes.

As for the app...

the app every now and then is reporting that the headset has the charge feature off and keeps popping up the error. It's done it first after updating and would not stop till I restarted the app, then it's doing it while changing modes within the app itself, I went from Hi-res to 7.1 and got the charging error popup which did not popup again after dismissing. If this is going to be a common error, please don't make it take focus on the screen or while the app is up. It's not a critical warning and infact is a feature you put into the headset. PLEASE think about these warnings and prompts over from the perspective of keeping the app running while the headset is.

Another usability which is low, Your app doesn't trigger the headset change sound when the ((3D)) button is pressed in the app, but other app buttons are working with headset sound prompts.

*Important bug*

Alright here is the biggest issue I've got. Not sure if its because I missed a step. Cannot change EQ Sound profiles while the mic is unmuted. When I try to do this, I only get beeps like I've gotten a max volume. However when I mute the mic, I'm able to instantly switch between EQ profiles with no issue. I think it's this new beep you added when the mic gets turned between 50 and 60%.

Also... For the love of god, Change list/patch notes... Any professional should be distroing that, so we know these features get stuffed in.

Updating as other people post... My head tracking IS working 100%, no issue there.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #4,200 of 5,780
Do not use any external USB hubs, and if possible, connect to the USB port on your computer that's closest to your mother-board.

My Mobius can only charge and use Bluetooth when I connect to my USB hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back