Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 29, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #4,156 of 5,780
I went ahead and contacted audeze about sending them back for a repair. Seems like it would be an easy fix (with the correct tools, parts and know how). They broke at the part below the colored hinge where it swivels. It would probably be a whole assembly of the right cup and reattachment.

I briefly attempted glue but there really isn't enough material to work with considering the inside of the swivel completely broke out. Hopefully they can fix the. And hopefully be cheaper than buying a new set. Which I would have to do. I cant go back to pancake (VR term) sound lol. I love my 3d surround sound :)

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #4,157 of 5,780
Is there a way to reverse the update?
Audeze told me you should Not revert to an earlier firmware. This was after I had already done it :wink: I managed to brick my Mobius, and then unbrick it. To keep it short, I ended up killing head tracking in every mode. Audeze sent me the last know working firmware. And my set is working normal but without the ability to turn tracking mode off. I also retain the older presets including Warm.

Sep 5, 2019 at 4:11 AM Post #4,159 of 5,780
So, I've mostly used my Mobius Audeze with wired USB to the pc. Yesterday I wanted to try the 3d a little bit. Its a nice little feature, but even though I've asked this before, I still don't find anything useful to use this. Is there a specific app, type of videos, or something to get proper use of the 3d setting?

Also, I tried my computer with Bluetooth (I have an Aorus Ultra Z390 motherboard), and the quality audio was really bad, low, etc. I tried it with my note 8, and it was pretty good, way better than on my pc, however when I tried using the hight quality audio codec on my note, it sounded kind of robotic and with interference. I dont know what is causing this, why my pc with Bluetooth sounds so bad (I checked that 3d was off, even tried auto, on, etc, it was bad on pc, good on phone, bad on phone with high quality codec). Also, I tried Bluetooth on discord and it seems the mic is prretty bad too.

According to the Audeze HQ app, my Firmware versions are:

USB FW: 1 02
MCU FW: 1.70
DSp FW: 25

I'm wondering if there is an update in the upcoming firmware delayed like 1-2 months ago I believe?

Another thing, I really cant tell too much of a difference within hi rez, stereo and 7.1 (although I'm not sure if 7.1 has lower volume than the other two, but I'm pretty sure it does), also, the Audeze HQ software sometimes show the channel, but sometimes it doesnt.

Another issue which If I'm not mistaking, only happens in 71. Whenever I turn up or down the volume, its like even after i stop pressing the keyboard keys to increase/decrease volume, it still takes a while, like its kinda of delayed. This doesnt happen on stereo or hi rez for instance.

I'm wondering if there's any software or something that could help me detect these differences objectively speaking.

Also, as final question. What is the purpose of the AUX cable?, why should I use it in conjuction with usb, bluetooth, or any other possible use?, what interesting or useful features should I know about these headphones? A friend gave them to me quite a while, I havent experimented much with them, but I definitely love them with usb connection, hopefully you can help me to have a good sound quality with BT on every situation, and also improve mic quality. thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #4,160 of 5,780
Hmm I only listen to them wired and in 7.1 3D. Wouldn't have it any other way. I only use mine hooked up to the PC. I had even zip tied the cord across the top of the headband to prevent it from wiggling and coming out. To the detriment of the headset as my dog got tangled up in the cord the other day and pulled them off my desk and breaking them.

I have used the bluetooth on my note 9 with the ldac codec and it sounded fine. But yeah, Mine never leave 7.1 3D. Once I got used to it it feels more like natural sound around me rather than sound just strapped to my melon (head). After having to send mine back to get new ones and listening to "flat" sound, it makes me ever more anxious for when my pair arrives again. Games with actual surround sound is the best. I hate listening to something on my current headphones and having sound leave one channel so abruptly. Its jarring and unnatural to me after having the 3d surround sound constantly for the past year.

Also, I had the latest firmware on mine. The one that had been pulled down. While it was good it didn't change anything much different as far as how the 3d 7.1 sounded, short of the presets. With the Flat preset becoming my setting of choice.

I can't really comment on the mic quality. I had posted a video a while back about how I got it working a bit better than when it was released but that was last year. As far as I know they had made some updates to the mic. Changing the gain and what not. Shortly after getting my Mobius headset (Sept 1, 2018) I had upgraded my mic to a Samson G Track Pro and put it on a mount.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #4,161 of 5,780
I recently got the Mobius . I’m on a very old firmware it seems,1.30, Audeze support made the removed version available to me with the caveat that there is a small possibility of bricking it.

I’m in another continent hence jittery .

I have a few questions for the experienced users if Mobius in this thread

1. What preset do you suggest for 3d 7.1 usb sound for 7.1 sources ? Is it a huge difference from firmware 1.30 to 1.71?

2. I have a windows 10 v1903 build 18362.10014
Intel X9980XE
Msi X299 creation board

Usb connected to intel usb c port on the motherboard . (Additionally asmedia ports are there too)

What do you think are my chances of hitting a glitch ?

Advance thanks for any answers . Cheers

Thomas

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2019 at 3:40 PM Post #4,162 of 5,780
I recently got the Mobius . I’m on a very old firmware it seems,1.30, Audeze support made the removed version available to me with the caveat that there is a small possibility of bricking it.

1. What preset do you suggest for 3d 7.1 usb sound for 7.1 sources ? Is it a huge difference from firmware 1.30 to 1.71?

Intel X9980XE
Msi X299 creation board

Usb connected to intel usb c port on the motherboard . (Additionally asmedia ports are there too)

Thomas

I haven't done anything special to get mine working right honestly. I'm on windows 10. Possibly a beta build as I op into them. On the latest firmware I have been using flat. Make sure you download the audeze app. Take measurements of your head. Circumference and the distance from the back of one ear to the other. Put those dimensions into the correct spot. You can change the size of the virtual room you are in while in the app as well. Not entirely sure what my room size is set at but I want to say it's around 19. That controls how much reverb you get. When the kids get off VR I can take a look and give you a more definitive answer but really just play it by ear.

Edit** also I don't use any of the cords that came with the mobius. They got appropriated by other device . I use a 10 foot cord. And its plugged into the front ports of my pc. Err well was. Waiting on a new mobius now. Lol

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #4,163 of 5,780

Intel X9980XE
Msi X299 creation board

Thomas
If you fear to brick your Mobius don't do the update, wait for a confirmed stable version.
The changes might not be worth the possible hustle, they improve the experience by not more than 20%.

The main changes up to Firmware V5 are:

- Addition of a so called "Warm" preset, which boosts the bass and cuts the treble more than the others.

- Correction of left/right frequency response differences caused by different acoustic properties of left and right cup.
These corrections boost the bass compared to the V1-V3 presets, now "Flat" sounds about what "Music" was before.

- Addition of the possibility to use the HRTF without head tracking, called "3-D On".
Not much use on my side, as head tracking is what really makes the 3-D experience work for me.

- Improved behavior of the head tracking.

- Microphones noise gate is removed, and microphone gain seems to be slightly boosted.
At least, the primary problems with the microphone seem to have been solved, there are no more complaints about it.
I can't tell much because I don't use the microphone.

- Fixes of several smaller bugs that appear under certain circumstances. Nothing that would stop you from using the Mobius.

First become familiar with your Mobius.
If you want to use the 3-D mode (the main reason someone would buy the Mobius), I strongly suggest to precisely set up your head dimensions in the Audeze HQ app for best experience.
Personally I reduced the room setting to 22.3 to bring down the reverb to a level that is usually not noticeable with music.
Which preset to use depends on your personal taste.
I mostly used "Music" with "3-D Manual" before FW V5, now I mainly use "Flat", with "3-D Auto".

If you really want to do the update, follow all the advice patiently and slavishly.
Take your time!
First make sure that you have a really stable connection, computer- and cable wise.
The supplied USB-C cable tends to make problems here.
Test it by slightly wiggling on the connectors on both sides, while running music.
An unstable connection during FW update will brick your Mobius.
If the connection is reliable, precisely run through the process without disturbing it.
There is no shortcut!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #4,164 of 5,780

Intel X9980XE
Msi X299 creation board

Thomas
Since you are not located in the US, I will strongly advice you not to do the update now. We have finally received the signed drivers required for updating Mobius without issues on Windows. Er are doing the final phase of testing and we hope to release it in the next 10 days.

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #4,165 of 5,780
Swiftstickler , thank you for your observations.
KaiSC , that was a very informative post, thank you so much .
I have one more question for you , what point of the ear canal should I measure from , right now I’ve measure at the entrance which comes after the Tragus.

Kman, Thanks . As all the advice is to wait , I will wait for the signed drivers to release .

Sep 6, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #4,166 of 5,780
For finding the circumference, I just took a string and wrapped it around my head till the ends touched and took that measurement. I measured from entrance as well. For the inter-aural arc, I measured from the back of one ear to the the other. probably mid concha.

As for the latest firmware update. I would wait for the rerelease if I were you. It took me two tries to do mine. The first try it blue screened my PC. The second try was fine though. I would be lying if I said it didn't scare me a little. lol

Sep 6, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #4,167 of 5,780
Swiftstickler , thank you for your observations.
KaiSC , that was a very informative post, thank you so much .
I have one more question for you , what point of the ear canal should I measure from , right now I’ve measure at the entrance which comes after the Tragus.

Kman, Thanks . As all the advice is to wait , I will wait for the signed drivers to release .
It's best someone else is doing this on you.

Following the pictures you have to keep your head in the normal position, looking straight ahead.
Both measurements should be done in the horizontal plane:
Interaural arc from one ear canal entrance to the other around the back of your head.
Head circumfence is measured right above the ears and eyebrows, like wearing glases.

After having the exact figures you can try fine-tuning the values around the measured ones.
They effect the 3-D tonality by some amount.
I use the measured ones 1:1, they give the best "fit" to me.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #4,168 of 5,780
This is a sad day for me. I opened my case to take my headphones out and when I put it on something felt off.Not sure how it happened and I'm pretty sure it doesnt fall under warranty either.
I9HCUkf.jpg

VlHf8cj.jpg

dlJ5EWF

pcMkJnK

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back