Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jun 14, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #3,901 of 5,780
Any idea why the manual states we should not use auto-center and rather manual centering?

Oftentimes with manual it ends up looking like this after a gaming match....

TTWJzuA.png

With the latest firmware and HQ App before it got pulled there is a 3d on setting which allows 3d audio but disables tracking. It stops the audio drift which you are probably experiencing. For multi monitor users and even some friends who use UW monitors that always occurs which defeats the point of having head tracking.

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #3,902 of 5,780
With the latest firmware and HQ App before it got pulled there is a 3d on setting which allows 3d audio but disables tracking. It stops the audio drift which you are probably experiencing. For multi monitor users and even some friends who use UW monitors that always occurs which defeats the point of having head tracking.

Are you saying audio drift always occurs on ultrawide monitors?

Does HDMI out to a receiver count as multi monitor as windows sees this as a display?

I have both of these in my setup.

Jun 14, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #3,903 of 5,780
Its not necessarily that its an ultrawide monitor that makes it drift. It's just if you are looking in one direction for a while, the headphones will eventually drift to the direction that you are looking at. I have a 2 monitor setup at the moment (a 3 monitor setup when I first got these Headphones back in September) and there has always been a slight drift. At this point it doesn't bother me. It only takes a fraction of a second to recalibrate it when I go back to main the monitor after watching videos or reading stuff on the other.

Jun 15, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #3,904 of 5,780
Mine are finally home! i think i spent about 5 solid hours listening to various stuff last night and im loving the new tweaks to the low end, definitely an improvement for the sort of stuff im listening to lately (Hip-Hop/EDM/Jazz mostly) which i generally find sounds best on Flat however certain music like say The Cure seems to sound better on Warm

While they were away i made a few tweaks to my software setup too, while messing about with my IEMs trying to get my old USB DAC working with my phone i ended up picking up USB Audio Player Pro, which failed to pick up my HRT Microstreamer but still managed to sound significantly better than the likes of Poweramp or HF Player (when tested with the Mobius last night it picks it up straight away!)

the app also has integration for a few streaming services, Spotify isnt on the list (i thought it was because is not lossless but for some reason google music makes it in) this prompted me to finally look at Tidal and as it happened they had an offer for a 90 day trial on so i jumped on board. the combination of USBAPP and Tidal running through the Mobius makes for a truly wonderful sound

And once more a big thank you to Audeze support who have been utterly fantastic throughout this

Jun 17, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #3,905 of 5,780
Hi everyone,

Just noticed my Mobius (Firmware v3/1.55) doesn't produce a sound when in 7.1 for the simulated LFE surround speaker (subwoofer) with mode 3D Off (I can't hear anything but Windows shows that a sound is played on it). All other channels work fine, weird thing is when using 3D Auto/Manual I do get a sound from the simulated LFE surround speaker.
Is it a known issue (couldn't find anything on Google)? A defective headset which I seriously doubt since as soon as I turn on 3D Auto/Manual I can hear the sound? Only upgraded to Firmware v3 from v1 because of the muffled mic sound and agressive sound gate/noise reduction that was present and I don't remember having this issue (but it might have always been this way since I've only used firmware v1 for 1-2 days).

You can test this on any 5.1/7.1 movie/media that uses the LFE surround speaker or just with surround calibrations videos/sounds. I've tested it on fraunhofer.de: https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #3,906 of 5,780
So after a few months of not using the headphones (moved into new house and just Life taking over time) I finally got back to Destiny 2 and started using these headphones. The first thing I notice is that the sound is very hollow and tinny, with no real bass/oomph/boom from gun shots and other actions. I was using 3D to manual, made sure to center the headphones once I was sitting down, and using the Default Sound EQ. Default format in Windows shows 8ch, 24 bit, 48000hz

I then switched over to my GSP 500 + GSX1000 (No enhanced EQ, just 7.1 enabled) and they sound miles better than the Mobius. Had a nice full rich sound, everything balanced well and had weight behind it. The exact opposite of what the Mobius was giving me.

So I then fired up BFV, and the Mobius sounded better with BFV then it did with D2. Sound was richer and more full. Gun sounds had weight to them and bazookas had a deep thump. Switched over to the GSP 500 combo and they sounded similar (not including the natural difference the 2 headphones have since one is Planar and one isnt). So it seems from my initial testing with BFV, the Mobius do sound more in line of what they should be like. Will do more testing to compare.

I can't figure out why Desting 2 sounds so awful with these headphones. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? Is the the game audio engine itself? From looking on the internet other people seem to not have an issue with D2 + Mobius or at least they all say it sounds good.

I am using the newest Audeze HQ Audio app, and the firmware info for my headset is:
USB Firmware = 101
MCU FW = 1.55
DSP FW = 23

Thanks for any help offered.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #3,907 of 5,780
So after a few months of not using the headphones (moved into new house and just Life taking over time) I finally got back to Destiny 2 and started using these headphones. The first thing I notice is that the sound is very hollow and tinny, with no real bass/oomph/boom from gun shots and other actions. I was using 3D to manual, made sure to center the headphones once I was sitting down, and using the Default Sound EQ. Default format in Windows shows 8ch, 24 bit, 48000hz

I then switched over to my GSP 500 + GSX1000 (No enhanced EQ, just 7.1 enabled) and they sound miles better than the Mobius. Had a nice full rich sound, everything balanced well and had weight behind it. The exact opposite of what the Mobius was giving me.

So I then fired up BFV, and the Mobius sounded better with BFV then it did with D2. Sound was richer and more full. Gun sounds had weight to them and bazookas had a deep thump. Switched over to the GSP 500 combo and they sounded similar (not including the natural difference the 2 headphones have since one is Planar and one isnt). So it seems from my initial testing with BFV, the Mobius do sound more in line of what they should be like. Will do more testing to compare.

I can't figure out why Desting 2 sounds so awful with these headphones. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this problem? Is the the game audio engine itself? From looking on the internet other people seem to not have an issue with D2 + Mobius or at least they all say it sounds good.

I am using the newest Audeze HQ Audio app, and the firmware info for my headset is:
USB Firmware = 101
MCU FW = 1.55
DSP FW = 23

I've been busy, but I play Destiny 2 weekly. I'll give it a test and report later. I've been meaning to post impressions of latest updates, but just had too much on my plate lately.

I did recently test the Mobius and something did sound off while I was playing D2, so you may be on to something.

Jun 17, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #3,908 of 5,780

USB Firmware = 101
MCU FW = 1.55
DSP FW = 23

Hi,

I found the sound very hollow in 3D until I used the proper HRTF config for my head/ears and heavily reduced the Room size in the Audeze HQ app (from 35 to 6.2). Or you can also switch to 3D Off which is still the best in my opinion but there seems to be a bug with the LFE channel (bass) in 3D Off.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #3,909 of 5,780
Destiny is award one,when using Bluetooth I had to switch it to headset rather than headphones or it sounded like it was being played out of a bean can but thats the only game it's done it with

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #3,910 of 5,780
Destiny 2 breaks audio a lot. It's a real finicky game. It'll break surround channels and fall back to stereo if you do much as tab out for a moment or other tasks at times. Bluetooth sometimes won't even be picked up by the game.

Jun 17, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #3,911 of 5,780
I've been busy, but I play Destiny 2 weekly. I'll give it a test and report later. I've been meaning to post impressions of latest updates, but just had too much on my plate lately.

I did recently test the Mobius and something did sound off while I was playing D2, so you may be on to something.

Hi,

I found the sound very hollow in 3D until I used the proper HRTF config for my head/ears and heavily reduced the Room size in the Audeze HQ app (from 35 to 6.2). Or you can also switch to 3D Off which is still the best in my opinion but there seems to be a bug with the LFE channel (bass) in 3D Off.

Destiny 2 breaks audio a lot. It's a real finicky game. It'll break surround channels and fall back to stereo if you do much as tab out for a moment or other tasks at times. Bluetooth sometimes won't even be picked up by the game.

Thanks all for the quick replies and info. So it does seem to be more of a D2 related issue and not so much either my headset or setup. I will redo my measurements and also drop down the room ambiance setting (I think it was at like 40).

I will also do some more testing with BFV. Also are there any other games that people recommend that I try to really put these headphones through the paces and make them shine? Really curious what games have worked really well with them (as we can see D2 is not one of those games).

Thanks again!

EDIT:

Destiny is award one,when using Bluetooth I had to switch it to headset rather than headphones or it sounded like it was being played out of a bean can but thats the only game it's done it with

I wasn't using Bluetooth and instead was USB connected, but your description of the sound was very similar to mine. Sounds like its being played out of a tin can.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #3,912 of 5,780
Hey,

So when I’m using Bluetooth with my IPhone 7 and Mac Air, I get a obvious delay when using Netflix and YouTube.. to the point where it’s like I’m watching a poorly dubbed foreign movie. Is this normal or is there away I can change settings?

Jun 18, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #3,913 of 5,780
What. Since saturday my Mobius was +/- at 96%.
Went to bed, this morning Mobius is down, can't awake it. Left on charge 30 minutes, nothing. After the reboot of the PC Mobius finally awake, 56% of charge.
Conclusion: in one night of 7 hours, Mobius lost all its energy

Jun 18, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #3,914 of 5,780
Went to bed, this morning Mobius is down, can't awake it. Left on charge 30 minutes, nothing. After the reboot of the PC Mobius finally awake, 56% of charge.
Might not have been switched off. Auto Off depends on the circumstances.

Jun 18, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #3,915 of 5,780

It's a known bug. For now it's best to unplug the mobius from your PC after switching it off. Hopefully ths new firmware should fix this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back