Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jun 4, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #3,871 of 5,780
It's like having tone controls on an amplifier - you would call it silly if the controls are limited to one direction or don't have enough range.
That's kind of what FW5 brought us, Mobius changed a bit to the dark side.
Now there's room for at least one preset going to the other direction, just an option to come back to where it was before, but preserving the improvements of FW5.
Not thin, bass shy, but a bit of sparkle on top for those recordings that are more distant miked like Classical, Jazz, Chesky and the like.
Flat would be my candidate, it's not really different to Default anyway.

Thanks for your feedback, we will take it into consideration.

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #3,872 of 5,780
We released it Wednesday and a few BSODs were reported, we are still trying to replicate it and we believe it is likely related to USB driver, unfortunately there is no quick fix and we hope we will have more information next week.
UPDATE: We found out the root cause to be related to the driver required to put Mobius in programming mode. The fix and testing would take us about 2-3 weeks, which is when we anticipate making the firmware available again along with an updated App and driver.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #3,875 of 5,780
Ran into a very random issue today. I connected my phone via Bluetooth and went to go watch a YouTube video, but when I got into the YouTube video I was unable to change the headphone volume from my iPhone controls. The headphones still change volume from the dial on the headphones but I have had them for a while now and this is the first time I was unable to change their volume from my phone. Any ideas what the issue is?

Jun 5, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #3,876 of 5,780
Ran into a very random issue today. I connected my phone via Bluetooth and went to go watch a YouTube video, but when I got into the YouTube video I was unable to change the headphone volume from my iPhone controls. The headphones still change volume from the dial on the headphones but I have had them for a while now and this is the first time I was unable to change their volume from my phone. Any ideas what the issue is?
Volume changes etc are handled in bluetooth through a profile called AVRCP. If the volume dial is working it means the commands are being sent / received over AVRCP, but the local updating is not working.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jun 5, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #3,877 of 5,780
I really like the bass of the Mobius with the current firmare (so NOT v5) and didnt test v5 yet. If i dont like the bass change when v5 comes out again, will i be able to revert back to an older firmware? Isnt the bass with the v5 firmware to "fat"?

Jun 5, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #3,878 of 5,780
I really like the bass of the Mobius with the current firmare (so NOT v5) and didnt test v5 yet. If i dont like the bass change when v5 comes out again, will i be able to revert back to an older firmware? Isnt the bass with the v5 firmware to "fat"?
I think you can stick to v5 flat, as it is almost the same as the current default from reports. I think @Audeze stated that reverting is not recommended.

Jun 5, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #3,879 of 5,780
Volume changes etc are handled in bluetooth through a profile called AVRCP. If the volume dial is working it means the commands are being sent / received over AVRCP, but the local updating is not working.
Oddly enough, I turned them on today and it’s all working fine. Thanks for the help anyway. I will let you guys know if that happens again.

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #3,880 of 5,780
I think you can stick to v5 flat, as it is almost the same as the current default from reports. I think @Audeze stated that reverting is not recommended.
That's not correct, the new FW V5 "Default" preset is close to the old "Music" preset.

All FW V5 presets gained some more bass.
The chart show the difference New Presets relative to Old ("Music"), not absolute values.
- The orange curve shows the global equalizer change that affects ALL new presets,
- Green is the new V5 "Default" compared to the old "Music".
So if you liked "Music" before you can use "Default" now.
If you liked "Default" or "Flat" there is no equivalent.

The bass boost mainly results from the better channel matching,
Before the right channel was weaker in the bass range because of different acoustics of left and right cup.

The bass boost does not sound overwhelming and does not reach into the midrange.
In fact 200-500Hz is slightly dialed back.

I can hear the little bump at 700Hz in a few flute and recorder pieces. It can give a tiny bit of a honky sound, this was not audible in Pop music.
The 1dB reduction above 4kHz softens the sound, on cost of some sparkle.
The effect is bigger then the graph might suggest, because the new bass characteristic contributes to this.

If you ask me which FW I like better I am ambivalent. The changes aside described above clearly are a step forward.
The new characteristic fits to a lot of the music I listen to.
If we now get at least one preset (I'd change "Flat" which is 99% the same as "Default") with more sparkle I would be completely happy.
IMG_1106.PNG

To show the improvements in the channel matching Old FW left/rigt (blue)
FW V5 left/rigth ( red traces) - much closer match.
IMG_1107.PNG

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #3,881 of 5,780
That's not correct, the new FW V5 "Default" preset is close to the old "Music" preset.

All FW V5 presets gained some more bass.
The chart show the difference New Presets relative to Old ("Music"), not absolute values.
- The orange curve shows the global equalizer change that affects ALL new presets,
- Green is the new V5 "Default" compared to the old "Music".
So if you liked "Music" before you can use "Default" now.
If you liked "Default" or "Flat" there is no equivalent.

The bass boost mainly results from the better channel matching,
Before the right channel was weaker in the bass range because of different acoustics of left and right cup.

The bass boost does not sound overwhelming and does not reach into the midrange.
In fact 200-500Hz is slightly dialed back.

I can hear the little bump at 700Hz in a few flute and recorder pieces. It can give a tiny bit of a honky sound, this was not audible in Pop music.
The 1dB reduction above 4kHz softens the sound, on cost of some sparkle.
The effect is bigger then the graph might suggest, because the new bass characteristic contributes to this.

If you ask me which FW I like better I am ambivalent. The changes aside described above clearly are a step forward.
The new characteristic fits to a lot of the music I listen to.
If we now get at least one preset (I'd change "Flat" which is 99% the same as "Default") with more sparkle I would be completely happy.

To show the improvements in the channel matching Old FW left/rigt (blue)
FW V5 left/rigth ( red traces) - much closer match.

The the new "Flat" is not as flat as the old "Flat"?

Will people stop adding the Harman curve to everything? Even Harman have found not everyone likes it.

Jun 6, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #3,882 of 5,780
The the new "Flat" is not as flat as the old "Flat"?

Will people stop adding the Harman curve to everything? Even Harman have found not everyone likes it.
It was answers before by KMann: "Flat" is just a name, it's never been an unprocessed preset anyway.
I guess it represents what AUDEZE sees as flat.
A strong hint into that direction is, that "Default", representing AUDEZE's house sound, it's almost the same as "Flat".

Here's a comparison Old (blue) vs FW V5 (red).
The left/right frequency responses are much better aligned.
You have to keep in mind that this is a measurement of only one, mine, specific specimen.
There might be differences to the average of existing Mobius'.
IMG_1109.PNG

And this is the same comparison Old (blue) vs FW V5 (red),
but aligned for the same level at 2kHz, making the changes even more clear.
For reference I put it the AUDEZE LCD2rev2, a passive model where AUDEZE could not freely tune the frequency response. One can see where they are heading to.

IMG_1110.PNG

Jun 6, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #3,883 of 5,780
This happens to me often on v3. The headphone volume dial does not change the phone volume with every step. The headphone volume changes correctly with each step, but the phone volume suddenly jumps 2-3 steps and shows the wrong volume and doesn't change for 2-3 steps. At this point adjusting the phone volume still controls the headphone. Eventually the sync stops completely and the headphone volume dial changes the headphone volume but does not change the phone volume. At this point changing the phone volume has no effect on the headphone volume at all, except for muting it at 0%.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #3,884 of 5,780
This happens to me often on v3. The headphone volume dial does not change the phone volume with every step. The headphone volume changes correctly with each step, but the phone volume suddenly jumps 2-3 steps and shows the wrong volume and doesn't change for 2-3 steps. At this point adjusting the phone volume still controls the headphone. Eventually the sync stops completely and the headphone volume dial changes the headphone volume but does not change the phone volume. At this point changing the phone volume has no effect on the headphone volume at all, except for muting it at 0%.
This behaviour is unlikely to change with out current firmware changes. The Bluetooth firmware (which also includes the AVRCP) has not changed since the release of the headphone last year.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jun 6, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #3,885 of 5,780
This behaviour is unlikely to change with out current firmware changes. The Bluetooth firmware (which also includes the AVRCP) has not changed since the release of the headphone last year.
Actually it worked reliably on v1. Every step would instantly change the phone volume. I'm observing the phone volume in dB on the EarStudio app.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/earstudio/id1251399971?mt=8
If it's not the headphone firmware, then it must be iOS. Still, my other Bluetooth devices control the volume perfectly and never malfunction. The Mobius is the only device I have seen with this issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back