Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Jan 20, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #2,776 of 5,780
@KMann & @Audeze I'm sorry to repeat this question, but I did not get any response the first time I raised it, which is why I am having another go at it:

What should Mac Users do regarding these firmware updates? I almost exclusively use my Mobius on Mac Computers, although I have one windows computer that I use for occasional windows exclusive tasks. It is what I used to configure the Mobius when it first arrived. Now I have the Mobius App on that computer, and also on my Macs.

If the update can be done using my Mac computer, then there is no problem. However, formal instructions seem to exist only for doing the update on windows, so I am assuming it can be done using only the windows computer. But then, in that case, the question arises as to how Mobius would work with the App on the Macs once updated on windows, as if to be used with the App on Windows. Will the Mobius still be compatible with the App on Mac after such an update?

Bottomline : If I use my Mobius exclusively on a Mac, should I even consider any firmware updates, or should I ditch the idea altogether?

Could you kindly advise, as to what the "best practices" are for Mac users, when it comes to firmware updates?

Thanks.
I know you directed this Audeze, but I believe unfortunately the answer is you need to find a Windows PC to do the update. There is some discussion about this above and Audeze said there is no way to update via Mac and nothing planned.

Edit Kmann beat me to it.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #2,777 of 5,780
@sahmen -- Sorry I thought we addressed this earlier. Firmware update requires a driver to put your Mobius in programmable mode. However, the drivers are not available for MAC (and we do not foresee it happening in the future either). So you will not be able to update firmware for your Mobius using a Mac.

The good news is, once you update the firmware on your Mobius using a PC (or a friend's PC), Mobius will still work as before on a Mac with any new features or bug fixes we applied.

I hope this clarifies your question.

Yes it does, and sorry if I missed the earlier discussion of this problem. I can certainly do the update using my Windows PC, but I only see update V3 at the site at the moment, and I am not sure whether to go ahead and do the update in the light of the advise you just gave to @overhaze .

Should I go ahead and get the current V3 update, if I have never done any prior updates? I only use the Mobius for watching movies on my Mac occasionally, and I am quite happy with how it is working now, although I would welcome performance enhancements that I deem to be worthwhile.

Edit Kmann beat me to it.

I know, but your input is appreciated, just the same. I shall use my windows PC to do any desired future updates, and then use the Mobius on my Macs as I am already doing.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #2,778 of 5,780
It is worth updating for the remembering EQ settings alone IMO. It means you can now turn them on, centre the audio and away you go. Far more convenient.

The instructions for updating are nerve-racking though. I love the Audeze language used in their manuals etc but it was kind of scary to have to update them with the headphones flat on a table etc.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #2,779 of 5,780
Yes it does, and sorry if I missed the earlier discussion of this problem. I can certainly do the update using my Windows PC, but I only see update V3 at the site at the moment, and I am not sure whether to go ahead and do the update in the light of the advise you just gave to @overhaze .

Should I go ahead and get the current V3 update, if I have never done any prior updates? I only use the Mobius for watching movies on my Mac occasionally, and I am quite happy with how it is working now, although I would welcome performance enhancements that I deem to be worthwhile.

I know, but your input is appreciated, just the same. I shall use my windows PC to do any desired future updates, and then use the Mobius on my Macs as I am already doing.
Three reason to do the update would be:

1. Improved mic performance.
2. Remembering settings for all three modes on power cycle.
3. Additional warm preset.

If any of these interests you them the update is for you.

Jan 20, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #2,780 of 5,780
It is worth updating for the remembering EQ settings alone IMO. It means you can now turn them on, centre the audio and away you go. Far more convenient.

The instructions for updating are nerve-racking though. I love the Audeze language used in their manuals etc but it was kind of scary to have to update them with the headphones flat on a table etc.

Thanks. I guess I'll give it a go.

Three reason to do the update would be:

1. Improved mic performance.
2. Remembering settings for all three modes on power cycle.
3. Additional warm preset.

If any of these interests you them the update is for you.

These are certainly worthwhile. i'll go get my pc right away, and install the update. Thanks again for the clarifications.

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #2,781 of 5,780
There is a slight bug with the latest firmware for me, in that if you cycle inputs it forgets the stored EQ. Not a massive deal.
Mine does the same although I find it is a massive deal. Having to cycle through 3d modes after a power reset can become frustrating if you are a gamer. I'm kinda left in limbo whether the next f/w will fix this or if it requires sending back to @Audeze to fix.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #2,782 of 5,780
Has anyone used these with usb c on iPad Pro 2018? Wondering if 5.1 audio is supported. On apps such as Netflix.

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #2,783 of 5,780
Mine does the same although I find it is a massive deal. Having to cycle through 3d modes after a power reset can become frustrating if you are a gamer. I'm kinda left in limbo whether the next f/w will fix this or if it requires sending back to @Audeze to fix.

Mine doesn't do that. If I go from Bluetooth to Aux, for example, the EQ doesn't stay the same, but that might not actually be a bug, thinking about it, instead a feature?

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #2,784 of 5,780
@Audeze I Figured out the bug with mute which I encountered after first patching and can now recreate it 100%. Reproduction steps are.
1. Place the Mobius into mic Mute on
2. Now place thumb on mic volume wheel while index finger is placed on the mute toggle
3. roll your thumb on the mic volume wheel while at the same time unmute the mic (the beep should be the key in knowing the sound is not coming back).
Results should be that you should have no sound from the headset at all till you toggle mute again. I've not played with it more to see if I can 'break' the headset or get it into a stuck state as I use this thing daily and love it. Being without it would be a big PIA, another reason I didn't get the beta firmware.

This does not seem to bug out the headset, as I can mute on and off and get back into a working state, but I'm not sure if there are other bugs caused by this that come after being put into this state.

Still working on the other bug with mic volume, not sure if it was a bad discord PTB build or not, as I've not seen it happen since, it could of stemmed from this bug as it was a mic issue as well which occurred AFTER this bug but before I powered down the headset and back on again (I did follow all patch steps correctly as well)., but again; consistent reproduction steps from me typically happen after I've run into the bug more than once. :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #2,785 of 5,780
Has anyone used these with usb c on iPad Pro 2018? Wondering if 5.1 audio is supported. On apps such as Netflix.
I tried this using my Lightning to USBC cable. Did not get a response from Mobius when long pressing the microphone scroll wheel, to cycle through 2 channel, 7.1 channel and Hi Res. At least for now, looks like this doesn't work.

Jan 21, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #2,789 of 5,780
20190121_211705.jpg
20190121_211735.jpg
20190121_211705.jpg
20190121_211735.jpg
20190121_211705.jpg
20190121_211735.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back