Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #1,981 of 5,780
Wow this was brutal:
„We do not have super high expectations for mics on headsets. We basically want to be able to communicate reliably with our teammates while not sounding like we are at the bottom of a well, and that is about it. You either give out an ear full of breath sounds and plosives with the Mobius mic, or your team only gets to hear about half of what you have to say. In the suggested position, the Mobius mic is nearly worthless. So how to sum up the Mobius mic? To put it in nice terms, it is trash. We literally have $60 headsets here that we use for testing that have much better mics than the Mobius. What is it that truly makes a set of headphones a headset? It is the mic. It seems that Audeze just picked a mic out of the bargain bin pile at the Dollar Store and put it on its $400 Mobius "headset." This left us shaking our heads, but luckily, we had head tracking, so we could watch that happen in real time with the Audeze app.“

Unfortunately, these reviewers judged Mobius by it's cover. They looked at the box and found it did not 'tick' their preconceived notion of what a gaming headset should have and went in with that bias. We tried to reason with them after we saw the unboxing video, and tried to explain the functionality, but it made absolutely no difference because they had already made up their mind.

Most reviewers are happy to hear from manufacturers as a review is meant to help the reader make a decision by understanding the full capability of what is being reviewed, in this case they were just not willing;
(Edited to clear miscommunication: The issue of microphone quality was never brought up, if we had know that was a sticking point for the reviewers, we would have provided beta firmware that we have already offered many of our customers)

(Edit 2: Unfortunately this has been blown out of proportion. Here was our response in the email exchange we had: https://goo.gl/fcZpBg)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #1,982 of 5,780
Audeze is a great headphones company, but they seem to not know much about microphones.
Even the beta tester's do not seem to origin from professional audio works, else someone would have told them.

Might be this sounds a bit arrogant, but if they had asked me before, this disaster could have been avoided.
The first bad idea was to use a directional microphone. These types of microphones are extremely sensitive to all kinds of disturbances, breath and structure born noise, and they do sound unnatural compared to an omni directional microphone when usd in close proximity.
Even in the professional studio world I only to know (and got) one microphone that does not suffer that much from this problems, and it's expensive.
Choosing an omni mic would have avoided these problems.
The second bad idea is using no wind screen on that, which is an absolute no go.
The third bad idea is using a noise suppression, which never works on spoken word, at least not with some universal setting, there is no one-size-fits-all for dividing noise and speech.

Fortunately there's still is some kind of solution:
Audeze needs to suppose and supply a foam pop/windscreen, cost: pennies something like that:
https://smile.amazon.de/dp/B071ZH6M...&pd_rd_r=d41c6c5b-daad-11e8-b663-99d0b1f0da8e
The dynamics section of the firmware that is currently used for noise suppression needs a different characteristics, lowering the thresholds for noise suppression, making the reaction faster and incorporating a limiter with makeup gain to enhance the audio level without the problem of running into digital clipping.

The issue here is not really anything to do with the Mic itself, the mic passed all our tests with flying colors. But we made the decision (this being primarily targeted for PC gaming), to allow the PC to control the gain of the microphone. That was a mistake in retrospect. We were not fully aware of the Mic gain driver issues plaguing win 10 and Win 8 machines. We did not go for a custom driver as we felt plug-and-play would be really nice. This forced users to pull the mic closer and that is causing the breath and other issues. We increased the Mic gain in the beta firmware to get feedback, it helped alleviate the problem to some extent but is not the full solution.

Fortunately we feel this can be fixed in firmware and we are currently testing a version that bypasses the Windows gain setting for Mic. We are happy with the results and we will start beta testing the new firmware. We are working on integrating the firmware update into the Windows App and hope to roll it by end of the year.

Oct 28, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #1,983 of 5,780
Unfortunately, these reviewers judged Mobius by it's cover. They looked at the box and found it did not 'tick' their preconceived notion of what a gaming headset should have and went int with that bias. We tried to reason with them after we saw the unboxing video, and tried to explain the functionality, but it made absolutely no difference because they had already made up their mind.

First of all I am sorry to hear this. Secondly, @KaiSc made IMHO some very good points regarding the mic.
I tried the microphone for calls with the iPhone but sound quality did not make the cut and I switched back to the Apple AirPods.
This can not have to do anything with Windows 10 or 8.
As we are at the topic of the firmware update, is there a chance to help those of us with the hissing issue?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #1,984 of 5,780
First of all I am sorry to hear this. Secondly, @KaiSc made IMHO some very good points regarding the mic.
I tried the microphone for calls with the iPhone but sound quality did not make the cut and I switched back to the Apple AirPods.
See my response to KaiSc. Though I mentioned Windows specifically, we expect improvement on all devices through the firmware because of the way mic gain control will be handled.

Yes, we are already considering using windscreen to improve it further.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #1,985 of 5,780
As we are at the topic of the firmware update, is there a chance to help those of us with the hissing issue?

See my response to KaiSc. Though I mentioned Windows specifically, we expect improvement on all devices through the firmware.

Yes, we are already considering using windscreen to improve it further.

Any chance to help uns sensitive hissing guys?

Oct 28, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #1,987 of 5,780
I was listening yesterday with Shanling M0 - bluetooth LDAC HiRes - Mobius and it was really good. Much better than the direct USB connection - I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I don't have the right set up with Audirvana, and it is doing strange things with sample rate conversions impacting on sound?

I felt the Mobius sounded a bit better over ldac than usb to a pc, but usb to a pc with an iso regen was the best, tested with 24/96 acoustic piano xD

Oct 28, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #1,988 of 5,780
As mentioned in the other thread, it requires a hardware change that will reduce the gain but it is too risky and will open up a whole other can of worms that we are not willing to support.

Which I understand. I still hoped that via the firmware update you might be able to reduce the amplification factor and thereby the hiss.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #1,990 of 5,780
The issue here is not really anything to do with the Mic itself, the mic passed all our tests with flying colors. But we made the decision (this being primarily targeted for PC gaming), to allow the PC to control the gain of the microphone. That was a mistake in retrospect. We were not fully aware of the Mic gain driver issues plaguing win 10 and Win 8 machines. We did not go for a custom driver as we felt plug-and-play would be really nice. This forced users to pull the mic closer and that is causing the breath and other issues. We increased the Mic gain in the beta firmware to get feedback, it helped alleviate the problem to some extent but is not the full solution.

Fortunately we feel this can be fixed in firmware and we are currently testing a version that bypasses the Windows gain setting for Mic. We are happy with the results and we will start beta testing the new firmware. We are working on integrating the firmware update into the Windows App and hope to roll it by end of the year.
What is the method for updating firmware on the Audeze Mobius Headset? :) Sorry to be a pest. I assume the Mobius app but I don’t see a setup gear or option. Perhaps I’m too anxious and it’s not released yet. I searched the two threads before posting. Thank you.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #1,991 of 5,780
Possible solutions:

Preparation: SWITCH OFF MOBIUS.

1. Get yourself a high quality contact cleaner (not WD40 or Kontakt 60) like Teslanol T6:
https://smile.amazon.de/TESLANOL-Ko...UTF8&qid=1540725500&sr=8-11&keywords=Teslanol
Apply some with a wood toothpick to the contacts of Mobius USB C connector.
Don't spray on it!!!

If contact cleaner doesn't help execute the following test:
Cut a fitting peace from a THIN blister packaging and stick it in one side of Mobius USB C connector before inserting the plug.
That should improve clamping force and reduce " rattle".
If this helps, go one with:

2. Very slightly bend the 2 tiny clamps inside Mobius USB C connector (on the pad side) to the inside using one or two ( from both sides) sewing needles.
This improves clamping force. Don't overdo it else they will be bent back as soon as you plug the connector.

3. If this doesn't help either try bending the exterior USB C housing using fine blades to enhance clamping force.
Avoid leaving traces on the plastic parts.
You can use an old style razor blade, break it into fitting pieces and stick two pieces between plastic and metal.
Don't cut your fingers, use pliers for this.
Then use a normal fine knifeblade between those to very carefully enhance the pressure on the USB C exterior housing until it bends very slightly.

I'm not 100% happy with the mic too (to the extent I would like to make my own) but a foam does make a significant difference.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-129#post-14554914

I like the Hardocp review, it brings in "some" home truths and drawbacks for gaming use like for example the extremely short cables provided. Also why is their packaging different yet we got a plain box?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #1,992 of 5,780
Any chance to help uns sensitive hissing guys?

As mentioned in the other thread, it requires a hardware change that will reduce the gain but it is too risky and will open up a whole other can of worms that we are not willing to support.

Which I understand. I still hoped that via the firmware update you might be able to reduce the amplification factor and thereby the hiss.

The remaining hiss is generated in the final analog stages, DA-converter and following analog driver amplifiier.
The quoted 110dB dynamic range is about typical for usual DA-converters, so I guess it's just the DAC noise.
The firmware only has access to the digital stages that are located ahead in the signal chain, so cannot change the noise level.
The 110dB DAC's dynamic range can be adapted to the acoustic dynamic range, so either noise is 0dB SPL Aeff and max. output is 110dB SPL, or shift both figures up the same amount, e.g. noise 10dB SPL Aeff and 120dB max. acoustic output.
This is done by adapting the gain of the analog headphone driver amplifier.

These figures do not include some necessary headroom to avoid clipping by level changes though the DSP processing, at least 10dB I would estimate.
This headroom reduces the effectively available dynamic range and would confirm my measurement of about 20dB SPL Aeff noise and the Audeze claimed 120 dB SPL max. acoustic level.

Reducing the amplifier gain for lower noise does even mean, Mobius might not be loud enough on some weaker sources, as this cannot be compensated by additional digital gain in the DSP, else the DAC could be overloaded into clipping by too high level setting by the user, leading to new complaints.
Probably Audeze already has spend some of the primary available digital headroom into the 1st mod.

So far a detailed explanation of the situation as far as it can be seen from my outside position, not beeing a member of the Audeze team.

If Audeze would custom modify some Mobius they would end up with a non-unified product out there.
The mod itself wouldn't be a big deal, but if not authorized would void the warranty.
KMann told us that opening up Mobius would break a seal. I'm not quite sure if he meant an acoustic seal or a warranty label. It should be possible to restore an acoustic seal to factory specs.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #1,993 of 5,780
I read posts like the one above and feel so small.

The AudioQuest Jitterbug works with the iPhone and CCK. I use iAudioGate.

Oct 28, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #1,995 of 5,780
What is the method for updating firmware on the Audeze Mobius Headset? :) Sorry to be a pest. I assume the Mobius app but I don’t see a setup gear or option. Perhaps I’m too anxious and it’s not released yet. I searched the two threads before posting. Thank you.
The firmware is not publicly available yet. We have made a beta version available to help customers who are not able to use Mobius because of the Mic volume. The current firmware update method is not integrated into the app and is not very user friendly but can be requested by mailing our support. Also the firmware is also undergoing a lot of changes based on user feedback and feature requests (this community plays a huge part in that). The evolving nature of firmware is one more reason why we have not made the firmware public yet. We are working on integrating the firmware update into the App.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back