Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 29, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #1,997 of 5,780
The remaining hiss is generated in the final analog stages, DA-converter and following analog driver amplifiier.
The quoted 110dB dynamic range is about typical for usual DA-converters, so I guess it's just the DAC noise.
The firmware only has access to the digital stages that are located ahead in the signal chain, so cannot change the noise level.
The 110dB DAC's dynamic range can be adapted to the acoustic dynamic range, so either noise is 0dB SPL Aeff and max. output is 110dB SPL, or shift both figures up the same amount, e.g. noise 10dB SPL Aeff and 120dB max. acoustic output.
This is done by adapting the gain of the analog headphone driver amplifier.

These figures do not include some necessary headroom to avoid clipping by level changes though the DSP processing, at least 10dB I would estimate.
This headroom reduces the effectively available dynamic range and would confirm my measurement of about 20dB SPL Aeff noise and the Audeze claimed 120 dB SPL max. acoustic level.

Reducing the amplifier gain for lower noise does even mean, Mobius might not be loud enough on some weaker sources, as this cannot be compensated by additional digital gain in the DSP, else the DAC could be overloaded into clipping by too high level setting by the user, leading to new complaints.
Probably Audeze already has spend some of the primary available digital headroom into the 1st mod.

So far a detailed explanation of the situation as far as it can be seen from my outside position, not beeing a member of the Audeze team.
Though the numbers used may not exactly match, this is quite close to what I would have said, Kaisc saved me the time :)

If Audeze would custom modify some Mobius they would end up with a non-unified product out there.
True, not to mention re-certifying, etc....

The mod itself wouldn't be a big deal, but if not authorized would void the warranty.
KMann told us that opening up Mobius would break a seal. I'm not quite sure if he meant an acoustic seal or a warranty label. It should be possible to restore an acoustic seal to factory specs
It would break the acoustic seal and will also void warranty.

Oct 29, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #1,998 of 5,780
Not TERRIBLY useful. I do find it myself doing "micro turns" to better establish where the sound is coming from on occasion. I think it probably helps making the sound localization more convincing as well

I'm certainly not doing 360 degrees turns lol

Does headtracking really useful for normal gamers?

The usefulness of head tracking comes from what is less obvious. We do not expect gamer to be constantly turning their heads. In real world situations, while working at a desk watching a movie, listening to music or playing games, most of our focus is mostly straight ahead, but we tend to make slight movements as no one holds their head perfectly still. Our brain and ears can pickup the change in sound cues even from these very subtle motions. When a virtual soundscape is emulated through a headphone, to trick our brain into thinking the sound sources are located outside the head and not coming from the headphone, our brain needs to process similar sound cues even on slight or subtle motions. Without head-tracking, the virtual soundscape will be less immersive or believable. Once we get used to the virtual sound, then it becomes even more easy for our brain to pinpoint direction of sound source.

Head-tracking also helps with avoiding front/back confusion. For example, when a sound source is located directly in front or directly behind us, it is very hard for us to tell where the sound is, but a very slight movement of head immediately snaps the source in the correct place.

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #1,999 of 5,780
The usefulness of head tracking comes from what is less obvious. We do not expect gamer to be constantly turning their heads. In real world situations, while working at a desk watching a movie, listening to music or playing games, most of our focus is mostly straight ahead, but we tend to make slight movements as no one holds their head perfectly still. Our brain and ears can pickup the change in sound cues even from these very subtle motions. When a virtual soundscape is emulated through a headphone, to trick our brain into thinking the sound sources are located outside the head and not coming from the headphone, our brain needs to process similar sound cues even on slight or subtle motions. Without head-tracking, the virtual soundscape will be less immersive or believable. Once we get used to the virtual sound, then it becomes even more easy for our brain to pinpoint direction of sound source.

Head-tracking also helps with avoiding front/back confusion. For example, when a sound source is located directly in front or directly behind us, it is very hard for us to tell where the sound is, but a very slight movement of head immediately snaps the source in the correct place.
It's informative posts like this from a company representative that impress me about this sort of new technology market level. Radsone's Earstudio impressed me with their member participating in the community as well. I purchased their es100 after seeing their replies here on the forum and I was so impressed I posted my very first post despite having an account for around ten years.

So I just ordered the Audeze mobius specifically for gaming and to use at work for calls and music. My only concern is the standby 'hiss' which doesn't seem to have a potential solve date. How long does it take to power up the magnetic planar drivers from no power standby? could a noisegate filter be set to cut power to the pm drivers?

Oct 29, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #2,000 of 5,780
Cant install the app on my laptop :/

Attachments

• 20181029_062514.jpg
    20181029_062514.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 29, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #2,004 of 5,780
so here's the next question: since the 5.1 functionality is limited to pc connection only, how do I live monitor an external 5.1 stream on this headset? I looked at some capture cards that support low latency and surround sound but it seems the low latency is stripped to stereo or has a massive delay (2-3 seconds). What Audeze needs to do is make a breakout box controller that is just a dedicated spdif/hdmi receiver that can control the 5.1, then we could plug whatever sources switched or otherwise into the head unit.

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #2,005 of 5,780
It's been already some days with the Mobius and I am already forming some opinions.

• These cans are musical. I always wondered what people meant by musical, and now I understand it. I find the Stax precise and more realistic, but not "musical". The Mobius is more enjoyable. I still would prefer the Stax for home use. The UE10 custom in-ears is even "cruder" than the Stax, with a smaller soundstage than both.
  • As I said, the feature of bluetooth call taking over on the USB music, leaving it in the background, is fantastic. I can work for hours with them and answer and make all my work calls. I h.ave no problems with the microphone for this application
  • I'd just like to be able to pair the Mobius with more than 2 devices (currently the Shanling M0 and the iPhone)
  • It is fundamental to be able to wake up the Mobius in the same settings you left it. I seldom use 3D (never for music) and I need to deactivate it and change from 7.1 to 2-channel or HiRes.
  • Could the system choose the sample rate itself, provided 3D is not enabled? 44.1-48-88.2-96
  • In Audirvana HiRes is seen as 96khz only. Can Mobius sync at 88.2 kHz too?
  • While the Default, Music and Warm are very nice, I'd like a little bit more of "bite" at the high treble (nostalgic of the Stax treble "etch"?). It would be good to create your own EQ and store it in the system too.
  • Alternatively, create some of the Mobius settings as options on the "reveal" audio unit; or the equalization settings for each EQ option to start from.

Oct 30, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #2,007 of 5,780
It's been already some days with the Mobius and I am already forming some opinions.

• I'd just like to be able to pair the Mobius with more than 2 devices (currently the Shanling M0 and the iPhone)
  • It is fundamental to be able to wake up the Mobius in the same settings you left it. I seldom use 3D (never for music) and I need to deactivate it and change from 7.1 to 2-channel or HiRes.
  • Could the system choose the sample rate itself, provided 3D is not enabled? 44.1-48-88.2-96
Unfortunately, the chipset we are using (being on the bleeding edge with LDAC), we had trouble implementing multi-point pairing reliably. So we had to remove this feature.
This is something we are working on for a future firmware upgrade. It is a little bit tricky with all the connection options (some options are not available in certain modes. In Bluetooth mode for example, the Mobius is a slave device to the phone).
It is fairly rigid at this point and the OS/Application takes care sample rate.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #2,008 of 5,780
Okay I was just struggling with bluetooth pairing and switching between laptop and iphone. Frustrating... Good to know if it only supports pairing to one device.

Earlier in the day I wanted to use it for a call while paired to my iPhone but it wasn't working. I had to move fast and just stick the phone to my head and fry my brain a little bit. I still haven't used the Mobius to make receive a call yet. Then again I haven't really tried that hard to make it work. Casually failed a couple times now though. I'm still not happy w/ mic and it cutting off the beginnings of words but it's working okay when I did a skype call on Windows. I was hoping I would be able to more seamlessly bounce between computers/phones/tablets between home and work while being wireless. It would be nice if it would remember last settings when it powers up as everyone has mentioned. Generally enjoying the Mobius still since I can wander. I don't have any Ldac devices, just AAC... Wireless was one of the biggest features to me.

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #2,010 of 5,780
Got the mobius yesterday.They where comfortable (not as good as sony wh1000 xm3 though).The hiss was more noticable than i had hoped for.But i forgot it when i played music/netflix.I have only tested them with bluetooth.The tv wouldnt work with the bluetooth.They connected on and off all the time.But i have an apple tv 4k,and that worked fine.The 3d option was in my first impressions just really bad.Was worse than expected.Might change opinion over time.The sound with 3d off was really good.Maybe not large soundstage.But details and imaging was exellent.Movies on netflix was really immersive and enganging

Users who are viewing this thread

Back