Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 23, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #1,923 of 5,780
One of the windsocks I ordered last month from China finally arrived. It's not the most perfect fit as it could be 5mm longer but finding the perfect dimensions is hard. It atleast fits on well imo and reduces the plosives effectively. One thing the f/w update did was increase interference to the mic signal which I did relay back during the beta, this occurs at high mic levels for me.

Difference:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kyy38kNMNHDhXYOfdeArULvF-MGc0o7-/view?usp=sharing

Pics:
Inner Diameter: approx 10 mm. Length: approx 35mm. Width: approx 25mm.

TgUMXVsl.jpg

TQZqTpvl.jpg

VS6x58Kl.jpg

I still have one more set to arrive with different dimensions although that has a smaller diameter.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #1,924 of 5,780
So i got an used (well actually new.just tested by owner) mobius on hand.Hmmmm,what to do.I have an sony wh1000 xm3 that i have to sell to get the mobius.I like the sonys.But i also have beyerdynamic xelento that i can use instead when i need isolation (comply tips).And the sound is better then the sonys.The sonys also have some vacuum/pressure that can be a little annoying.I guess i have to decide today,so the mobius dont get sold to some other dude.

Ps:anyone compared the sound of mobius to xm3's?
The XM3 is heavily distorted. The Mobius has zero isolation. Sound quality wise the Mobius wins hands down.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #1,925 of 5,780
The noise floor in most audio recordings is way, way higher. I'm wondering if people are hearing that and think i's the Mobius. It's so quiet. I only detect it at all in a truly quiet environment. I'm convinced people are tripping here. Compare with wired headphones (that have highly sensitive drivers like a planar) when listening to the same audio. I've done some recording. Even with pretty strong noise suppression, with multiple mics especially (background sounds are recorded separately and layered in games too), you're going to get more white noise than this.

The hiss/noise has nothing to do with recordings. Its not a matter of these being more sensitive. Because the noise is there when nothing is playing. Switching them on and off its quite noticeable. If everyones sounded like mine, I would find it crazy if others werent able to hear it. So I have to conclude that either many people have hearing damage or much more likely, theres just still some variation in these units. Its possible I am just more sensitive to it than you, but its equally possible in my mind that my unit just hisses more than yours. And without sending them back and forth to compare, I am not sure we will be able to come to a conclusion. But I do know that you cant reason this one away or explain it away because the hiss is very real, and certainly audible.

I should also point out that while I can absolutely definitely notice it when nothing is playing (or in quiet portions) its less of a hiss, and more of just a low level static noise floor. It only bothers me very slightly, and when I am actively using the headphones and playing audio it disappears into the background and then I mostly forget about it. Its absolutely not something that I would return these over, nor is it something that I would think is a major problem. Still quite noticeable though.

And like has been happening for a long time here, we are going in circles. I accept that some people either cant hear it or have units that are better. But mine absolutely definitely hisses, and I am definitely not using then wrong or just hearing things in recordings that I never noticed before.

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #1,926 of 5,780
The hiss/noise has nothing to do with recordings. Its not a matter of these being more sensitive. Because the noise is there when nothing is playing. Switching them on and off its quite noticeable. If everyones sounded like mine, I would find it crazy if others werent able to hear it. So I have to conclude that either many people have hearing damage or much more likely, theres just still some variation in these units. Its possible I am just more sensitive to it than you, but its equally possible in my mind that my unit just hisses more than yours. And without sending them back and forth to compare, I am not sure we will be able to come to a conclusion. But I do know that you cant reason this one away or explain it away because the hiss is very real, and certainly audible.

I should also point out that while I can absolutely definitely notice it when nothing is playing (or in quiet portions) its less of a hiss, and more of just a low level static noise floor. It only bothers me very slightly, and when I am actively using the headphones and playing audio it disappears into the background and then I mostly forget about it. Its absolutely not something that I would return these over, nor is it something that I would think is a major problem. Still quite noticeable though.

And like has been happening for a long time here, we are going in circles. I accept that some people either cant hear it or have units that are better. But mine absolutely definitely hisses, and I am definitely not using then wrong or just hearing things in recordings that I never noticed before.
Believe me, it's just the difference in sensitivity of people's ears, which varies by a very huge amount and even naturally shifts with age.
Look and read here for the evidence, I did measure the hiss:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-115#post-14536363

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,927 of 5,780
IOS AUDIO BALANCE FINE ADJUSTMENT:

Here is a hint that I was searching for such a long time, and just stumbled across the solution, so I'd like to share it with you all.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...der-is-poorly-designed.1729595/#post-19273385

PROBLEM:
In iOS Audio Volume Balance setting to correct the headphones out's L/R balance, the slider snaps back to center if it's only moved slightly (less then 4.8dB correction).
So it's virtually impossible to correct the audio balance by the typical small amount needed, because the slider keeps snapping back to center!

SOLUTION:
User gburt found a work around for the slider snapping into place with a set of headphones where the balance is just slightly off:

When you adjust the slider the balance shifts smoothly and only snaps into place when you release it. If you find a non-snap location that you like, keep your finger on the slider in that position and shortly hit the home button to get out settings. The slider will not snap into a pre-defined location because it never detects your finger coming off the screen. If you go back into settings the balance will remain the same until you touch the balance slider again.

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,928 of 5,780
Believe me, it's just the difference in sensitivity of people's ears, which varies by a very huge amount and even naturally shifts with age.
Look and read here for the evidence, I did measure the hiss:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-115#post-14536363

Fair enough and good to know. Just with so much back and forth, I dont really like the implication that it seems like those of us hearing the hiss are being too "sensitive" in one sense of the word. But either way, I hear it, and its really not a big deal to me and doesnt affect the experience in a negative way. Its just there. And I will just take it as a good thing that my hearing is still sensitive enough to hear it.

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #1,929 of 5,780
How good is it connected to the tv with bluetooth? I got an 2016 lg oled tv.I have tried my sony wh1000 xm3 but they performed rather poor on my tv.The lcd2c works fine (have tried an long optical cable to the mojo).But i would love to have great sound on my tv without any cables.Mobius/bluetooth/lg tv and 3d sound on? :)
It depends on what codec is used by the Bluetooth TV. If it runs a new version of Android TV, you maybe able to get LDAC working on it.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Oct 23, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #1,931 of 5,780
Oct 23, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #1,932 of 5,780
So it's been awhile but I loaded up my PS4 again to play Gran Turismo Sport and Spider-Man's new DLC but I could have sworn I could increase the volume via the volume wheels on the headset before the firmware update that added the warm EQ preset and the EQ memory? I can't increase the volume at all and it's sorta quiet.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #1,933 of 5,780
So it's been awhile but I loaded up my PS4 again to play Gran Turismo Sport and Spider-Man's new DLC but I could have sworn I could increase the volume via the volume wheels on the headset before the firmware update that added the warm EQ preset and the EQ memory? I can't increase the volume at all and it's sorta quiet.
No. We haven't been able to adjust volume on PS4 in any version. The PS4 follows a different protocol for these.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Oct 23, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,934 of 5,780
No. We haven't been able to adjust volume on PS4 in any version. The PS4 follows a different protocol for these.

Hmm...Ah. I probably had the Mobius attached to my Sound BlasterX G5 via aux cable. A tad too bad since through direct from what I do hear the Mobius sounds amazing via USB directly to PS4.

But the Mobius still might be weapon of choice...for Hatsune Miku Future Tone. That's probably the best I can do, no headphone let me get a score that high. And also because I suck at rhythm games in general.
10188239_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Hatsune Miku_ Project DIVA Future Tone_14.jpg
    Hatsune Miku_ Project DIVA Future Tone_14.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back