Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 3, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #1,352 of 5,780
If they’re able to add custom EQ presets, then Mobius will be hard to beat. Really, you’re paying for an entire package including a portable amplifier and DAC which can easily cost over $100 alone.

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #1,353 of 5,780
Regarding Smyth and OOYH etc, we are comparing apples and oranges.

Smyth realiser uses HRTFs and works best when you use your own measurements made at the ear canal entrance (partialy blocked) for the speaker setup you are interested in. You then have to choose a very transparent headphone to play the PRIR back, Smyth also uses a headphone EQ to invert the headphone response you plan to use so that you don't get a double HRTF (playing back PRIR without EQ over a headphone will sound harsh especially near 3 -5k). But keep in mind you are comparing Mobius priced less than $400 to a full fledged desktop setup that costs upward of $2k in addition to a headphone setup you will need. Symth Realiser is great in convincingly replicating an existing setup, it is a different use case, it is not portable.

OOYH uses (to my knowledge) measurements based of Smyth Realiser (using Smyth's in ear microphones) but played back using a convolution engine on Mac or PC. These are not personalized so for critical music listening, you will have to add your own EQ both for your ears and for the headphone you choose, but does not do head-tracking and is not available for mobile platforms.

Mobius uses Nx algorithms for the surround processing for a convincing image (though not like a true floor standing speakers several feet away, but more like studio monitors), presets already account for the native response of Mobius drivers so you do not have a double HRTF effect.

So if I went out and buy a Smith Realiser, do I need to setup a multi speakers and do the measurements before I can use the Smith Realiser properly?

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #1,354 of 5,780
So if I went out and buy a Smith Realiser, do I need to setup a multi speakers and do the measurements before I can use the Smith Realiser properly?
Yes if you want to get your money's worth out of it. I have a Smyth A8 and I have used both my own PRIRs and those from others. Using measurements made by others will provide a convincing outside your head imaging but it is much too colored for my tastes but with my own PRIR , and a transparent headphone such as LCD-4 or 009, it is convincing.

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,355 of 5,780
Yes if you want to get your money's worth out of it. I have a Smyth A8 and I have used both my own PRIRs and those from others. Using measurements made by others will provide a convincing outside your head imaging but it is much too colored for my tastes but with my own PRIR , and a transparent headphone such as LCD-4 or 009, it is convincing.

Don't they have the ability to take a different prir and apply it to your own?

The Realiser is an expensive product, $2000+? But does represent most of the technology available for loudspeaker virtualization. The new Realiser A18 would require a 15.1 speaker setup, either catch a demo at a convention, find someone with that setup, or build the system yourself, the AVR/prepro alone will run you $2-3000 xD.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #1,356 of 5,780
I can confirm the mic is much better with the f/w fix under Windows 10 and with the Windows 10 October update.

Mic Before
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10sn2brZlc9-jZDN-wCc7YxdB-LC8JhMB

Mic After F/W Fix
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LuPKD_bTUYvbF4IZeL5z1doY37Lajq2z

There are no drop outs with the mic, it picks up voice at an acceptable volume now without cutting off.

I do think that it can benefit from having a small windsock to reduce plosive and breath sounds, but either position the mic away so that it's reduced or buy a cheap windsock. I have some arriving from Ebay (China) that should be a reasonable fit and cost less than a couple of quid delivered.

Additionally the new Warm preset is amazing. I've been playing Crysis 3 with it and the bass is definitely present. The Audeze software doesn't show the Warm preset yet but select it from the scroll wheel until the software gets updated too.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #1,357 of 5,780
I can confirm the mic is much better with the f/w fix under Windows 10 and with the Windows 10 October update.

Mic Before
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10sn2brZlc9-jZDN-wCc7YxdB-LC8JhMB

Mic After F/W Fix
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LuPKD_bTUYvbF4IZeL5z1doY37Lajq2z

There are no drop outs with the mic, it picks up voice at an acceptable volume now without cutting off.

I do think that it can benefit from having a small windsock to reduce plosive and breath sounds, but either position the mic away so that it's reduced or buy a cheap windsock. I have some arriving from Ebay (China) that should be a reasonable fit and cost less than a couple of quid delivered.

Additionally the new Warm preset is amazing. I've been playing Crysis 3 with it and the bass is definitely present. The Audeze software doesn't show the Warm preset yet but select it from the scroll wheel until the software gets updated too.

Oh yeah that's a dramatic improvement

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #1,359 of 5,780
Just got my pair today. Having issues. I bought these for playing Destiny on PS4. The rumors about low volume out of the Dualshock were unfortunately correct. Way too low to be usable. I'm trying to use them in USB mode, but I'm having no luck. The Mobius says USB mode, but the PS4 only recognizes a mic, not the Mobius for output. Getting no sound at all to the Mobius. I've gone through the PS4 settings, but it does not seem to recognize the Mobius at all for output. Any help? Gotta say, so far I'm extremely disappointed in these cans. Even in bluetooth mode the volume is a little lower than I like and the sound does not even compare to my old HE-400i's. Hoping I'm doing it wrong and I'm missing something obvious.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,360 of 5,780

So let say I bought the Smith realiser A8, and I use someone else measurements. How do I hook up my headphone? Do I hook up the Realiser to my PC via HDMI? then hook up my headphone to the Realiser?

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,361 of 5,780
Just got my pair today. Having issues. I bought these for playing Destiny on PS4. The rumors about low volume out of the Dualshock were unfortunately correct. Way too low to be usable. I'm trying to use them in USB mode, but I'm having no luck. The Mobius says USB mode, but the PS4 only recognizes a mic, not the Mobius for output. Getting no sound at all to the Mobius. I've gone through the PS4 settings, but it does not seem to recognize the Mobius at all for output. Any help? Gotta say, so far I'm extremely disappointed in these cans. Even in bluetooth mode the volume is a little lower than I like and the sound does not even compare to my old HE-400i's. Hoping I'm doing it wrong and I'm missing something obvious.

Uhm hold down the volume bottom until you get to "two channel mode" (there's 7.1, 2 ch and high res ) (I believe high res does not work but I'm not at home to try it)

On my essential. Ph1 Bluetooth has enough volume to permanently damage my hearing so I'm not sure why you are having low volume other than the device that you are using or some setting

You could also try to raise the volume of the game in the in game menu

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #1,362 of 5,780
Don't they have the ability to take a different prir and apply it to your own?

The Realiser is an expensive product, $2000+? But does represent most of the technology available for loudspeaker virtualization. The new Realiser A18 would require a 15.1 speaker setup, either catch a demo at a convention, find someone with that setup, or build the system yourself, the AVR/prepro alone will run you $2-3000 xD.

So how does OOYH compare to Mobius? Which one is more Superior? I mean the OOYH is made from u sing Smith Realiser right? If so then it must be better?

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,363 of 5,780

On PS4 you need to be in 2ch Mode, 8ch mode will not be recognized by PS4.

I am bit surprised by volume not being loud enough, make sure it is not a setting on your phone and also increase the volume on Mobius. Bluetooth sounds best if your phone supports LDAC and you are in HiRes mode.

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,364 of 5,780
@ Audeze... I am really liking the blue tooth connection to the Apple TV 4K for movies and audio playback... is there any possibility that you guys can add Airplay 2 to the Mobius so more than one person can sit and listen at the same time... thanks

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #1,365 of 5,780
Myself and some others have low volume on the PS4. I posted about it and @Audeze responded. Here is their post with mine just before it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-75#post-14505319

OTOH, BT volume gets painfully loud for me in high-res mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back