Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 4, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #1,381 of 5,780
Just had my first proper test of these, watching TV (the deplorable Iron Fist S02, but it does have good surround) while my wife has a daytime nap (we both work at a school, this is a week off (though I've still been working, this is my first free day))

Delighted. This was my main use-case scenario. Surround effect is convincing, sound quality is superb, comfort is absolutely fine. Actually added to my enjoyment of the awful awful show.
I also had them running off bluetooth on my phone earlier on while still working. Listening to Shpongle live on YouTube. I NEVER thought I would use these in bluetooth but with an LDAC capable device, the result is superb. Great soundstage as well, with no 3D effect engaged.

About to give Nier:Automata a go now. I'd say if someone were in the market for movie/tv/game playing headphones and valued the surround (which is really well implemented) then the Mobius is not going to disappoint. They wouldn't replace any of my other gear, but they are an excellent addition to the collection and do one thing that none of my other headphones/IEMs can do - I really love the surround.

Very happy with these, more than I imagined I might be!!

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #1,382 of 5,780
Nier: Automata - wow....basically forgot I was wearing headphones. Amazing. These headphones really do excel at games.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:51 AM Post #1,383 of 5,780
Nier: Automata - wow....basically forgot I was wearing headphones. Amazing. These headphones really do excel at games.
Yeah, even just the 2ch option on console sounds pretty great. Not as good as USB from PC/Mac, but it still sounded a lot better than I expected when I tried it for the first time.

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #1,387 of 5,780
to keep my head on my body. don't want flashy stuff. if there's a mobius with no logo, just plain black or boring beige, would have defiantly chosen that.

the bose qc15 replacement headband does the job of hiding logo very well.

I kinda get that. I've worn my white V-Moda M100 out a couple years ago, just rolling around the city in my wheelchair, when outta nowhere someone came and literally snatched them off of my head and took off.

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #1,388 of 5,780
there's already firmware update?? how to do it in mac os please?
I honestly don't know how to do it on a Mac. If you find out, I'd like to know as well. I'm interested in the "warm" preset that was mentioned. But those that got it for PC were told to contact Audeze support and ask about the firmware update to solve the mic volume issues. It'll be released to everyone in a few days, I think is what @Audeze said a few pages back.

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #1,389 of 5,780
I'm getting a slight faint rattle noise in the right ear when listening over BT and LDAC on the Sony XZ Premium. Can't be the driver. I don't have any noise issues over USB. Sure there is hiss to be heard (on all connections) but it's not an issue for me to lose sleep over it.

Preliminary conclusion for me is that the Mobius is truly a great gaming headphone that I right now (assuming the mic issue is solved soon) would recommend over any other gaming headset on the market. It features better tonality, impulse control, speed and refinement and the customized WavesNX solution immerses you very well. Rear cues are better, more distinct, less "phasey" than the Creative G6 I own (it's horrible on the G5), the soundstage while not as big as open headphones like the PC37X doesn't trap you like the GSP 600 for instance where despite all VSTs I tried you get the feeling of being in a grave.

If you expect the refinement, slam, punch and "musicality" of a LCD-2C or even higher, that's on you imo. This can't happen for the price.
It won't beat a properly driven HD800 (the absolute reference) for gaming and movies but it doesn't cost thousands of dollars either. However I'd be up for a 800 Dollars version and see what Audeze can do with a bigger budget but hopefully
they are successful with this one since it cost them a lot of money.

The Mobius takes EQ very well for those who want more bass out of it but make sure you do it properly with EQ APO/Peace and compensate the pre-amplifying value to avoid clipping.

Mad Max's car engine sounds, crashes, shotgun blasts and explosions are a good way to test if you overdo bass because it has plenty of it and can fatigue you. If you do it right your car feels more weighty, beastly and angry and your shotgun is the ticket to hell. Do it wrong and everythng is overdone, samey, blurry. Just experiment. Some sounds (the deepest ones) occur depending on what happens in the game world so play it a while. The game is a bit repetitive unfortunately.

Other games I enjoyed: The Witcher 3 with its remarkable environmental sounds, at day, at night, during storms, winds, in the woods, Cracks, noises, footsteps, screeches, screams, voices, fire burning. Get the game just for the sound, even when you hate RPGs.
Forza Horizon 3: If you avoided racing games because Need for Speed and Burnout died a long time ago, then you need to play this. Not a lot of stuff happening soundwise but the combination of car engine sounds and the radio stations
gives you quite the rush. I think I have 20 times the amount of head to head races than completed events because I couldn't stop breaking, too much acoustic thrill.

more thorough impressions and comparisons sometime later

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #1,390 of 5,780
Preliminary conclusion for me is that the Mobius is truly a great gaming headphone that I right now (assuming the mic issue is solved soon) would recommend over any other gaming headset on the market. It features better tonality, impulse control, speed and refinement and the customized WavesNX solution immerses you very well. Rear cues are better, more distinct, less "phasey" than the Creative G6 I own (it's horrible on the G5), the soundstage while not as big as open headphones like the PC37X doesn't trap you like the GSP 600 for instance where despite all VSTs I tried you get the feeling of being in a grave.

If you expect the refinement, slam, punch and "musicality" of a LCD-2C or even higher, that's on you imo. This can't happen for the price.
It won't beat a properly driven HD800 (the absolute reference) for gaming and movies but it doesn't cost thousands of dollars either. However I'd be up for a 800 Dollars version and see what Audeze can do with a bigger budget but hopefully
they are successful with this one since it cost them a lot of money.

Mic issue is said to be solved. They said today to contact Audeze support and ask for the firmware update to solve the mic volume issue. It'll also be released very soon to everyone.

Also, I'm with you. I'd love to see what Audeze could do with a bigger budget and this tech.

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #1,392 of 5,780
the lcd leather pads works pretty well if you take away all the plastic bits from the pads, then take out the plastic rim of the mobius, put the lcd pads with plastic rim, use the rim to secure the pads in palace.

Oct 4, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #1,393 of 5,780
the lcd leather pads works pretty well if you take away all the plastic bits from the pads, then take out the plastic rim of the mobius, put the lcd pads with plastic rim, use the rim to secure the pads in palace.
Do you mean for the ear pads? I've been wondering about pad rolling these. They're comfy and all, but I don't feel like they have enough padding to stand up to the way that I use them literally every day. They're already starting to flatten out for me. It's just a tad. Not much. But I'd definitely like to see extra ear pads maybe included should Audeze make a Mobius MkII in the future.

Oct 4, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #1,394 of 5,780
I kinda get that. I've worn my white V-Moda M100 out a couple years ago, just rolling around the city in my wheelchair, when outta nowhere someone came and literally snatched them off of my head and took off.

I'm speechless....WTaF is wrong with people?
Your positive demeanour in your posts is an absolute credit to you.

Oct 4, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #1,395 of 5,780
I'm speechless....WTaF is wrong with people?
Your positive demeanour in your posts is an absolute credit to you.

Haha. Thank you. Believe it or not, the wasn't even the first or last time that happened to me. Lost 2 sets of M100's that way, and a Sine. I don't even live in a bad area, either. I've come to the conclusion that I've just got bad luck, or life hates me. I'm thinking more the latter on this. If I told you my life story up to this point in time it would read like it is the making of a movie about someone who is going to do something inspiring or something. There are parts that are downright unbelievable. Haha.

On another note, I know we like to say that we "rediscover" our music with new headphones, but this is the first time a headphone has ever made me wanna rediscover my old movies and games! I just watched Jumanji (Robin Williams version) and a couple others just for the hell of it because the Mobius just makes the experience that enjoyable. It's past 4 in the morning here and the only reason I'm going to sleep is because my Mobius is about to die. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back