Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 28, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #1,201 of 5,780
Now that I've used the Mobius for over a week, mostly with 3-D on, I really get addicted to the 3-D effect with headtracking.
I have no problems switching from Mobius to "normal" speakers (Ok, Infinity RS1b in my case :ksc75smile:, an absolute high end system), in fact that's what Mobius 3-D is simulating, but now when I switch to conventional headphones it sounds funny that the sound moves together with the head.
Takes a bit of time to readjust to that old experience of "in your head"-music.

The sound quality of the Mobius is really in the upper league.
I compared them to a bunch of high end headphones that I own, they all sounds different, but the Mobius can keep his head up hi inside this group:
STAX SR L700, Focal Clear, Sennheiser HD800 modded and HD-800S unmodded, Sennheiser HE-60 on STAX amp (" Baby-Orpheus"), Sony MDR SA-5000, Massdrop HE4xx with grill mod.
There is one advantage over all from this group: the Mobius sound, also clear, transparent and full, is forgiving: nothing I threw on it, even old and lesser quality recordings, did sound annoying or bad. This is a combination that is really hard to find. This means the above can really shine on some recordings but will sound nasty on others.
Still, on the titles where one of those shines Mobius is not far beyond.

A nice thing about Mobius is, it's not just one single headphone, but within its capabilities it's a bit of a chameleon.
The different EQ settings, although subtle, are tasteful and useful.
The basic sound without 3-D is very good, and 3-D with headtracking adds another room dimension that you cannot get from conventional headphones, and not on cost of annoying sound colorations like with other systems unsuccessfully trying to do this.
I strongly suggest to set up your correct head dimensions in the AUDEZE HQ App to even improve this aspect.

I am confident that AUDEZE will fix the quirks that still are there and add some features like the custom EQ you have with the cipher cable.
In the current state already the Mobius gives an extraordinary pleasant listening experience.

Sep 28, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #1,202 of 5,780
I was listening to Mobius for over two weeks and I have very mixed feelings.

At first when I received them I was amazed by the sound signature, amount and quality of bass, head tracking and so on. I was very happy.
There was hiss... But it was not a huge deal as a liked everything else.
But recently something happened. It's hard to describe and even harder for me to grasp but either I'm deff or my pair lost its clarity. Bass isn't as punchy, once wonderful separation seems rather poor now, perfect amount of treble is now either muddy or harsh depending on a song.
I think I'm going crazy.
Especially that my "audiophile" friend told me they were superb. I guess I need to ask him once again for his opinion.

Aside from this: channel imbalance on different presets, mentioned hiss and hum different on every source. I also tried take the earpads off but they seem glued?!

Built quality and comfort seems ok but my akg k550 are far superior in that regards as they are very light and made almost entirely of metal.

This is over usb? Bluetooth? Both? I noticed with my main system over usb occasionally it would sound amazing, occasionally it would sound... thin? Not sure how to describe it, I wondered if it it was just me, maybe the program i was using was buggy, maybe the units needed to heat up, maybe this or that. But adding the iso regen and topaz transformer alleviated that entirely and it sound awesome always. If its over usb your having issues it could be any number if pc related things, something updating in the background, higher power usage duringthe day(i.e. ac systems running full tilt) etc etc. If its over bluetooth then ignore me lol

Sep 28, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #1,204 of 5,780
I've now taken the Mobius around my office and passed it around my gaming friends, and close to 100% have said the controls are too fiddly and the settings confusing, to the point they would choose other headphones to use over the Mobius.
None of my gaming friends through the additional sound clarity from the Mobius was worth the compromises that they noticed. All would much rather use a far simpler headset like a Razer, a Sennheiser or a Kingston HyperX over the Mobius. The extra sound quality of the Mobius is simply not as important to gamers as Ease of use and comfort.

That's kind of a small group of people to really come to the conclusion "most gamers" prefer ease of use over sound quality. Isn't the "ease of use" of something also subjective? I don't really find anything difficult about the Mobius. It took me an evening of use and I have no issues with what does what.

Most people prefer cheaper headphones in general. Most people I know scoff at spending hundreds on a pair of headphones. That doesn't make cheaper headphones better though. I mean, my wife thinks I'm crazy for spending money on headphones lol. She's happy with $10 ear buds.

Sep 28, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #1,205 of 5,780
I was listening to Mobius for over two weeks and I have very mixed feelings.

At first when I received them I was amazed by the sound signature, amount and quality of bass, head tracking and so on. I was very happy.
There was hiss... But it was not a huge deal as a liked everything else.
But recently something happened. It's hard to describe and even harder for me to grasp but either I'm deff or my pair lost its clarity. Bass isn't as punchy, once wonderful separation seems rather poor now, perfect amount of treble is now either muddy or harsh depending on a song.
I think I'm going crazy.
Especially that my "audiophile" friend told me they were superb. I guess I need to ask him once again for his opinion.

Aside from this: channel imbalance on different presets, mentioned hiss and hum different on every source. I also tried take the earpads off but they seem glued?!

Built quality and comfort seems ok but my akg k550 are far superior in that regards as they are very light and made almost entirely of metal.
I could imagine one of the following problems:

- If you use Mobius in HiRes mode and feed in normal resolution files, a loFi sample rate conversion can go on in the source device (e.g. iPhone) that really sounds bad.

- You changed something in the way you fed signals to the Mobius.

- you misaligned the head size or changed reverb settings in the AUDEZE HQ App, this would only change the sound for the 3-D mode.

- A driver diaphrag could be broken by applying lots of sudden air pressure to the cup (just a guess, here AUDEZE should chime in to tell us if this can happen).

- Something in the electronics is broken. Feed in a pure sinewave to check for distortions.
Even better, feed in a duotone 18+19 kHz (the free iPhone app "The Oscillator" can do this).
This will unveil all common electronic and digital signal chain problems.
Most people do not hear these high frequencies any more, so everything you hear are the distortions produced by the electronics, which are in the lower frequency range with this signal.
This test will even show if there are any problems with the connection or signal chain.
If everything is OK you don't hear anything except if you have bat's ears. Don't go to maximum level to not fry the driver, stay slightly above your normal listening level.

The ear pads easily come off if you pull on the little protruding parts on their colored frame.
Then you can have a look on the driver, don't touch them.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #1,206 of 5,780
Well, my friend who uses them exclusively with Xbox says he enjoys them a lot. I think he’s skeptical of the 3D for music but it gives him an advantage in Fortnite. Still trying to get him to try Bluetooth to listen to more music on these but he rarely listens to music with headphones. So Xbox gamers are happy too...

Sep 28, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #1,207 of 5,780
Well, my friend who uses them exclusively with Xbox says he enjoys them a lot. I think he’s skeptical of the 3D for music but it gives him an advantage in Fortnite. Still trying to get him to try Bluetooth to listen to more music on these but he rarely listens to music with headphones. So Xbox gamers are happy too...

I can vouch for this. I use mine on my MacBook Pro and Xbox and I'm very happy. Even the battery life isn't too bad using 3D (I got a little over 10 hours yesterday in a long gaming session playing Destiny 2), though i wish it was a little longer. With all the tech inside, however, I'm happy they run as long as they do. I couldn't be happier using them via USB for movies as well. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Even as an avid gamer who games for at least 12+ hours a day, I have no qualms with my Mobius. It has its quirks and some things could be better, but they aren't so much of a drawback as they are minor inconveniences. Especially for the SQ and 3D options. The benefits far outweigh the very slight negatives that come with the Mobius.

An aside - I mentioned a few pages back that the headband puts enough pressure on the middle/top of my head that they never truly disappear. That's changed as I've gotten used to the weight. Now I almost don't notice them except for the heat that builds up around my ears. They're really comfy.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #1,210 of 5,780
so suddenly the headphones are not recognized by the Audeze software (windows), states they are not connected by cable, even though they are and sound is coming through. They are also recognized by windows. Anyone else had this problem?

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #1,211 of 5,780
so suddenly the headphones are not recognized by the Audeze software (windows), states they are not connected by cable, even though they are and sound is coming through. They are also recognized by windows. Anyone else had this problem?

I believe it's a bug with the app, it's happened to me a few times. When the app is open and you change a bunch of modes it has difficulty knowing which to connect to. Close the app; Unplug it from USB; Do a power cycle (Switch it off and then back again); hold the mic button and put it in 7.1 mode; Plug in the Mobius; Open the app and it should show as connected.
Give that a try.

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #1,212 of 5,780
I believe it's a bug with the app, it's happened to me a few times. When the app is open and you change a bunch of modes it has difficulty knowing which to connect to. Close the app; Unplug it from USB; Do a power cycle (Switch it off and then back again); hold the mic button and put it in 7.1 mode; Plug in the Mobius; Open the app and it should show as connected.
Give that a try.

Ye this seemed to solve it.

Sep 29, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,214 of 5,780
@KMann or anybody else

Is there a compensated measurement to EQ these?

I posted my compensated measurement on Page 1 using MiniDSP. The 4-5KHz range is funky though, so I would take that region with a grain of salt. Audeze (KMann) also posted a GRAS based graph early-on in this thread as well.. I'd have to search for it.

Edit: Here's the one audeze posted. It's raw though: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-4#post-14457658

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #1,215 of 5,780
I posted my compensated measurement on Page 1 using MiniDSP. The 4-5KHz range is funky though, so I would take that region with a grain of salt. Audeze (KMann) also posted a GRAS based graph early-on in this thread as well.. I'd have to search for it.

Edit: Here's the one audeze posted. It's raw though: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-4#post-14457658
Thanks, I'll take a look. I prefer compensated as it's easier to see as a guideline for EQ as it's referenced to a flat line.

Does Mobius work with the Audeze EQ app? Doesn't Audeze have a desktop app for EQ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back