Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 21, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #946 of 5,780
That's the point. The "sound profiles" only has a list of named presets, not the visual presets like I added in example.
The list is: Flat, Default, Foot Steps, Ballistics, Music, Racing and RPG.

Thanks! :)

Like I said earlier today I have problem with the 7.1 and Audeze's software :frowning2: Hope @Audeze will post a new related answer later :)
For the Hi-Res, it's weird but for me it's the worst choice for now, in Music and Games it's really bad (for me/my ears) and worst than my last Sennheiser PC360...

At the least you only need the app to change your head size and room size.

They're bright, try a 3db high shelf starting at 1.5-2khz. I use equalizer apo https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ the parametric filters.

I personally trim off alot in 3d mode though
Screenshot_20180918-220021_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #947 of 5,780
Yep, I did the head options :)

It could be your FPS and temp overlay is crashing the app, try turning those off. App is working fine for me in WIndows 10.
The app "freezes" for me too, under W10 too, when I change from 7.1 to the 2 others channels.
BUT since this morning (12 hours ago from now for me here) in 7.1, the control of the volume was unable in 7.1.
BUT for the past 5 minutes... the control works perfectly fine like it always should.
The app still "freeze/disconnect" in 2.0/Hi-res.

Really weird. Well, still a beta app I guess.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #949 of 5,780
I also wonder if the Mobius will work fine with a USB active extension cable? Need one in order to have enough reach for my TV.

It does indeed! Initially, I was able to use a non-active 12ft extension while running in 2 Ch mode to my PS4, but as soon as I tried 8 Ch on my PC, I'd get horrible stuttering. Basically the combined cable length was too long for all the data to successfully transmit. So I got a 16ft active extension cable and I use that both on the PS4 and the PC without issue.

*EDIT* I should mention that I've only had success with a USB 2.0 active cable. I initially bought a USB 3.0, which should be backwards compatible, but no matter what I tried, Windows would not recognize the Mobius while hooked up to it. And I did confirm the cable worked with fine other peripherals.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #953 of 5,780
For music I prefer the sine. The only thing the sine lacks is comfort.

I guess I'll pass mobius then. Fullsize should win over smaller headphone. I don't game, nor need bluetooth. Maybe I'll just save for smyth realiser. Sine is sweet though... Maybe bit too much upper mids and bit lacking bass but still great.

Yeah, it took me days to catch up. Doesn't help there's two threads.

Yep. On the other hand it is a good thing. Things have been quiet on head-fi since the site "update".

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #954 of 5,780
Finally I can post here. Just got my headphones a little while ago. First impressions are pretty good. Definitely hear a hiss, but I dont think its going to bother me. Its notieable, but it blends in with background noise and was not noticeable with music playing. They did feel a bit bass light to me (was listening in default eq), but I should also mention that most of my headphone listening these days is with a pair of campfire atlas iems, which are definitely not shy of the bass. Played with 3d mode a bit (once i set LDAC back to 48khz on my phone), and the tracking is quite impressive. Its really smooth and feels natural. Cant say I got much of an out of head experience from it, but it was definitely directional, maybe once I tweak the settings with the windows app. I think though for music, 3d is going to be off, I just am not sure the positional stuff is more pleasant than just using them as actual headphones.

They are decently comfortable, but I can definitely see them getting warm on my head pretty quickly.

Anyways, time to go load up the PC, get some surround sound going, might try out a few movies and then load up destiny 2, or maybe bf1... or far cry 5, or assassins creed origins... who knows. I am excited to get some virtual surround with head tracking going and see how it compares with my sennheiser gsx and game one.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #955 of 5,780
Has anyone tried these with VR headsets yet? I've got a Samsung Gear VR for my S8 that I haven't tried it out on yet. I think I might be limited to BT on them tho since the phone plugs into the USB-C on the gear. Unless I can figure out some sort of splitter, but not likely. But it would be interesting to know if the 3D and Headtracking compliment VR headsets like the Vive or Rift or if its weird and don't pair well.

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #956 of 5,780
Has anyone tried these with VR headsets yet? I've got a Samsung Gear VR for my S8 that I haven't tried it out on yet. I think I might be limited to BT on them tho since the phone plugs into the USB-C on the gear. Unless I can figure out some sort of splitter, but not likely. But it would be interesting to know if the 3D and Headtracking compliment VR headsets like the Vive or Rift or if its weird and don't pair well.

With VR headsets you will want to turn off 3D. VR engines provide some form of spatialization, adding any spatial processing on top of that using Mobius will make it worse. Also in VR the view port moves with you (unlike a monitor), you do not want the head-tracking on Mobius to anchor the sound.

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #957 of 5,780
Microphone Experience: No complaints really. It works brilliantly with Discord, just make sure to use these settings.
When using basic VOIP apps with no sound options it is a little but quiet but I imagine/hope Audeze will fix this with future software updates.
At first I really detested the SideTone, but then I grew to appreciate it. It prevents you from yelling when using using closed headsets. Something my wife will appreciate when I'm gaming.

Best settings for the MIC (imo):
Windows Device Sound Level: 100%
Mobius MIC Level: 100%
Mic sitting 1" from mouth, slightly below mouth (to prevent popping)

Below is a sample of a recording in Windows 10 Voice Recorder app.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1RjYAtuB6NW

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #958 of 5,780
I guess I'll pass mobius then. Fullsize should win over smaller headphone. I don't game, nor need bluetooth. Maybe I'll just save for smyth realiser. Sine is sweet though... Maybe bit too much upper mids and bit lacking bass but still great.

Yep. On the other hand it is a good thing. Things have been quiet on head-fi since the site "update".

I wrote a review of the Mobius and compared directly to the Sine on my site. It's also posted here on head-fi.

http://www.antdroid.net/2018/09/audeze-mobius-review-as-music-oriented.html there's also photos and stuff posted on the link. I also posted some very early on in this thread, maybe even the first page.

Vs Audeze Sine

The first chart shows the differences between the Audeze Sine and the Audeze Mobius. Both of these headphones are the smallest and lightest headphones in Audeze's lineup (besides the iSine). The Mobius driver is 25% larger than the Sine's. This probably explains the differences in how they sound.

The Mobius extends lower than the Sine, which has a drop off prior to sub-bass regions. The Sine is slightly more mid-forward and more energetic and airy. This is due to the higher mid and treble response. That said, the Mobius sounds like it extends better in both directions. The Mobius also has better imaging. Soundstage width is similar between the two.

Visually, the Sine is one of the most attractive headphones on the market. The Sine is a nice looking gamer headphone, but it's not exactly the most attractive. It still looks good from a distance, but I'm not a huge fan of the headband appearance among other things.

Comfort-wise, the Sine loses because of the on-ear pads and higher clamping force.

vs the Sine with HD212 pads

To improve the comfort of the Sine, I've pad-rolled these for a couple years and finally settled on generic Sennheiser HD212 pads. They improve comfort by increasing the cut-out size and increasing driver distance from 10mm to 15mm. This actually helps reduce the mid-forward sound and makes it more neutral overall. It's a big improvement over the popular ATH-M50/ATH-MSR7 pad mods, which increase the pad thickness to 20mm. This creates too much space and bumps treble way too high.

That said, the Sine still feels less extended than the Mobius, however comfort is on the same level, and slightly lighter in weight. I'm pretty sure the driver size limits the Sine in this case.

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #959 of 5,780
Turns out my 65" UHD TV has a built in BlueTooth transmitter. Watched Sicario last night. Wow, what an experience to be able to have all the sound mixing details so close. It really enhances the movie watching experience. Normally I'm using a 5.1 Vizio sound bar, which is decent but I can't turn it up loud enough to hear all the details without waking people up. This might just be my new favorite way to use the Mobius.
If you have Nvidia Shield, you can pair Mobius to the unit with LDAC. Sounds really good.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 21, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #960 of 5,780
With VR headsets you will want to turn off 3D. VR engines provide some form of spatialization, adding any spatial processing on top of that using Mobius will make it worse. Also in VR the view port moves with you (unlike a monitor), you do not want the head-tracking on Mobius to anchor the sound.

But doesn't turning off 3D also turn off 7.1 surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back