Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 21, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #961 of 5,780
But doesn't turning off 3D also turn off 7.1 surround?

Yes, which you don't need in VR, because VR systems like the Rift and the Vive already have their own directional sound processing with head tracking built into the VR headset. The Mobius' 3D surround features are completely redundant in VR.

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #962 of 5,780
Yes, which you don't need in VR, because VR systems like the Rift and the Vive already have their own directional sound processing with head tracking built into the VR headset. The Mobius' 3D surround features are completely redundant in VR.

So Mobius, in 2ch BT Stereo mode will still produce sounds that make it seem like its coming from behind me because the signal being sent to it has already been processed to sound that way? Am I interpreting you right?

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #963 of 5,780
So Mobius, in 2ch BT Stereo mode will still produce sounds that make it seem like its coming from behind me because the signal being sent to it has already been processed to sound that way? Am I interpreting you right?
You are right, the Mobius in stereo with the 3D thing deactivated will work like any other headphones (You can have the 3D thing activated in stereo mode).

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #964 of 5,780
still waiting for mine and just wishing they had a lot better communication about the status of things. I got my case and stand and when I got the email they were shipping me a package I was all excited and then to handle the box and feel the weight and then open it up only to see the case and stand.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #965 of 5,780
Has anyone else experienced this?

The setup: Mobius plugged into USB-C on PC. Mobius also connected to phone through BT.
Scenario: Phone call comes in over BT and normal ringing over headphones is heard. Call is answered.
Bug: The incoming voice call is garbled and squelchy and clears up if USB-C is unplugged.

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #966 of 5,780
The battery indication makes no sense whatsoever, Used them wireless with my phone for many hours, the bluetooth icon indicated that they were at least below 50%. Then when I plugged them into my PC for charging they were at 78%, and just 5 minutes later the app showed the battery at 98%, which is impossible even if they had the best charging technology available.

But I assume this will be fixed once the apps gets more refined over time, its still in beta.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #967 of 5,780
The battery indication makes no sense whatsoever, Used them wireless with my phone for many hours, the bluetooth icon indicated that they were at least below 50%. Then when I plugged them into my PC for charging they were at 78%, and just 5 minutes later the app showed the battery at 98%, which is impossible even if they had the best charging technology available.

But I assume this will be fixed once the apps gets more refined over time, its still in beta.
That’s a known bug of the app.

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #968 of 5,780
So there is either a lot variability among Mobiuses or... people are deaf.

1) My mobius has no hiss. Again I don't mean "minimal" . I mean DEAD. Radio silence. Cemetery at 3am . I know people are reporting hisses , they are either reporting their own tinnitus or "the fix" has a lot of variation.

2)PS4 volume . My Mobius is LOUD via USB. I tried it on DQ11 with my own USB cable, not the factory one and by default it was at half volume with 2d mode/head tracking manual. It was physically painful to listen due to how loud it got. I had to turn it down to 20% for an acceptable, "i dont wanna go deaf" volume level.

3) MIC : I do have some Mic issues, but I think they are software related as the Mic works perfectly with my android phone ?_?

Sep 21, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #970 of 5,780

Yeah, I'm struggling with a way to determine right now how much battery I actually have. Nothing seems to give an accurate reading. The app, being connected by Bluetooth, they never align, and the app is totally bugged when it comes to the battery.

Does anyone have any way to reliably know how much battery they have? I turned mine off last night at what I thought was 75% battery (probably not accurate, no way to really know) and didn't charge. When I got home from work today, the headphones were completely dead.

I love the headphones, the battery thing is my main gripe right now.

Sep 22, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #971 of 5,780
I believe someone else mentioned this but i had issues with Mobius switching to my floor speakers and or losing connection to my computer. It looks like the cable Audeze provides is utter crap. While listening to the Mobius the other day i move the cable off my shoulder and instantly the Mobius started cutting out and then disappeared from my computer. I have since used a better cable and things seem much better on Windows 7.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 1:09 AM Post #972 of 5,780
@Audeze
I used the Mobius for 3 days now, really enjoying it, and hope the HQ app for the Mobius on MacOS will be available soon.
I have however two questions:
1.The Mobius will not pair (being recognized) with my MacBook Pro (Retina mid 2012); is this cauzed by an older Bluetooth version running on my MBP, perhaps?
2. Can the Mobius be connected to the iPhone X or iPad Pro, using a USB-C to Lightning Cable? Or would this not be wise to try? I don't know what voltage the lightning port on the iPhone outputs, and I don't want to try it without consulting Audeze first, if this would be a wise try. I know there are some problems regarding the camera connection kit, and you did not manage to resolve these yet, to use with the Mobius. But a direct connection with a lightning to USB-C cable, using instead of the Bluetooth connection, could this harm the Mobius?
I also own a iSine 20 with lightning cipher cable, and I am very glad with it... so I hoped to use the Mobius in HiRes or 7.1 channels mode with the iPhone and iPad in this way.
Both versions of Camera Connection Kit (with and without extra lighning power connector) do work here with 3 different iDevices ( iPhone and iPad).

Sep 22, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #973 of 5,780
For the Hi-Res, it's weird but for me it's the worst choice for now, in Music and Games it's really bad (for me/my ears) and worst than my last Sennheiser PC360...
On iPhone with Tidal Hifi (16bit / 44.1kHz lossless) switching to HiRes leads to a very bad Sample Rate Conversion adding artifacts to the treble.

Staying normal 7.1 or 2-Ch is the way to go in this case, rewarded with a very good sound.

If you want to go HiRes be sure your system can deliver beyond 44.1kHz, as Mobius (or iPhone in my case?) does not seem to switch to a 1:1 feed thru of " normal Res" files if set to HiRes.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #974 of 5,780
Thank you for this! I've been going back and forth all week trying to figure out if I can tolerate the hiss. On mine it's clear as night and day. Imagine putting your ears right up between a pair of 70's tower speakers and amp with volume raised. Not subtle. Easily checked by powering off then on, wired/wireless, battery/usb, mobius as power amp and software preamp etc. I am a musician with a home studio, so for me instrumental parts are often recorded and mixed in pieces. When I listen to a full band play at higher volumes the hiss does get covered. When listening to slow building classical, starts and stops, minimal music, podcasts the hiss distracts and takes me right out of the experience. These don't need much volume either. Way back in the other thread I was suprised to read, I think it was kmann, say he listened at 10%. Makes perfect sense now.

To hear you and others report of 0 hiss gives me hope that this can be solved either by a replacement pair or some kind of f/w update(unlikely). I'm not looking forward to the rma process and possibillity of having to shell out more $ in shipping and duty fees(roughly 30shipped 30duties so far). Odd that there is so much variation in experience but reports from you and others is appreciated.

on a positive note..

Last night I did try double stacking with some of the HeSuVi(2ch compatability mode on mobius) presets mixed with the mobius 3d and got some very pleasing results. I was able to push the soundstage further from me for a more relaxed and increased forward/back effect. If I recall correctly it was using one of the cipic hrir's. I do enjoy the built in 3d but will probably continue to use HeSuVi here and there for variety in presentation :beerchug:

1) My mobius has no hiss. Again I don't mean "minimal" . I mean DEAD. Radio silence. Cemetery at 3am . I know people are reporting hisses , they are either reporting their own tinnitus or "the fix" has a lot of variation.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #975 of 5,780
Thank you for this! I've been going back and forth all week trying to figure out if I can tolerate the hiss. On mine it's clear as night and day. Imagine putting your ears right up between a pair of 70's tower speakers and amp with volume raised. Not subtle. Easily checked by powering off then on, wired/wireless, battery/usb, mobius as power amp and software preamp etc. I am a musician with a home studio, so for me instrumental parts are often recorded and mixed in pieces. When I listen to a full band play at higher volumes the hiss does get covered. When listening to slow building classical, starts and stops, minimal music, podcasts the hiss distracts and takes me right out of the experience. These don't need much volume either to get the experience across. Way back in the other thread I was suprised to read, I think it was kmann, say he listened at 10%. Makes perfect sense now.

To hear you and others report of 0 hiss gives me hope that this can be solved either by a replacement pair or some kind of f/w update(unlikely). I'm not looking forward to the rma process and possibillity of having to shell out more $ in shipping and duty fees(roughly 30shipped 30duties so far). Odd that there is so much variation in experience but reports from you and others is appreciated.

on a positive note..

Last night I did try double stacking with some of the HeSuVi(2ch compatability mode on mobius) presets mixed with the mobius 3d and got some very pleasing results. I was able to push the soundstage further from me for a more relaxed and increased forward/back effect. If I recall correctly it was using one of the cipic hrir's. I do enjoy the built in 3d but will probably continue to use HeSuVi here and there for variety in presentation :beerchug:

I can also confirm that my Mobius has zero hiss, like absolutely none at all. My pair is dead silent in all modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back