Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 21, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #916 of 5,780
Played around with some surround sound bytes, some vid gaming on pc and also some Netflix and I'm loving these cans more by the day! Wishing I had purchased 2 of these on IGG. And yes, for those who've yet to "hear sounds come from behind", it will. You just need the right source material. For example, I was just watching the first 6-7 mins of "Singularity" on pc Netflix app that does the 5.1 and it's great. Sound coming from all over the place. Then play with some of the surround sound test bytes from https://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/ as others have suggested (helped me when I placed Atmos speakers in my ceiling) and make sure you use a capable player and prepare to be floored.

I do still smell hot electronics from time to time. Yes, it's the Mobius. So long as it doesn't burn my face off, then no worries. My jaw does get tired with these more than with my Senn 598's and Fidelio X2's but much of that is because I grind my teeth 24/7, but it is heavier and a bit more clamp force and the materials get hotter. Regardless, I doubt I'll be using any other headphones for quite a long time besides my Mobius. I like them that much, even with the few negatives aside.

Sep 21, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #917 of 5,780
Hi all. First post here :)
I received mine yesterday (Be the Early Bird, #998) without any fee (France).

I have to say I cried 2 times when I listened to some music I have for more than 20 years on my computer hard drive, old and ripped MP3 with honest quality but nothing more.
And wow. Just... wow... On crappy MP3s. O_O

After that I listened to hard stuff: Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Genesis, some titles like Zombie of The Cranberries, Carmina Burana, The Ecstasy of Gold... it was the ecstasy of joy. It's really amazing and fantastic, for once, the advertising was true; I'm chocked :L3000: I saw the Light like Jake Blues in the Blues Brothers, my life has changed forever.

giphy.gif

All of that in [sound profiles] Music and [3D] Manual.

But now, the "problems"..

First, since today, I have the same issue:

Hi,

I have received my moebius but it isn’t « seen » by win 10.
When i plug it to usb it says usb, but it doesn’t show in Windows and audeze app Always says "not connected »
Any idea ? is it possible to manualy install driver ?
I have tried various usb ports and cables without success.
Edit: i has suddenly started to work :)

I did all I can, the Audeze software didn't recognize Mobius anymore, says it's not connected. I plugged/unplugged the USB of the stand on the PC; I turned on/off the Mobius; I launched the software before/after these operations: nope, nope and nope.
What is the problem? Yesterday, on the first launch I had 0 problem with that :frowning2:

After that, well... too many choices kill the choice: I'm lost with the features of Mobius. The manual is very cool (and btw the french translation is perfect, well done Audeze!). The manual doesn't tell us, simple mortals/gamers, what is the better choice for the best utilisation. I don't know/understand with which support I have to use 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1. And speaking of that, the manual says: "audio mode (7.1ch, 2ch, Hi-Res)" meaning that "Hi-res" is 2.1/5.1?

If I want to just listen to music, ok I choose the "Music" preset but after that? 3D manual? Off? 5.1? 7.1? :frowning2:

So is somebody here can tell me/us something like "you want to play games choose that, you want to see movie on DVD/BR choose that, you want to see something on Netflix choose that"? Please? é_è
In the same time I don't really understand the specificities of the 3 kinds of wire, what I gain, what I lose...

Finally, @Audeze is it possible to display the preset near the sound profiles? The titles are okay but I can't "see" the differences between them. Something like that:

9f30f9ba09d5f5533527d616c8d21a55.jpg

Well, thank you if you read me, even more if you have answers for me :)
Have a good Mobius day people.

Sep 21, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #918 of 5,780
They're pretty great. The quality and depth of the bass especially is really excellent. If you do get them, give Reveal a shot, I like the changes it makes. Drive 'em with something beefy, they sound a whole lot better with my iDSD Micro compared to my Valhalla 2. Comfort is a whole lot better than Audezes of yore, but they do still have a fair bit of weight to them. They're kind of like one of those weighted blankets, but for your head. The headband especially makes a HUGE difference, though. The old LCD headbands were really bad.

I agree with this part, though honestly I wish the LCD-2C was by default tuned to the Reveal plugin so I didn't have to install it and EqualizerAPO as well. Audeze should release the LCD-2R(eveal) or LCD-2S(tudio).

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #919 of 5,780
But now, the "problems"..

First, since today, I have the same issue:

I did all I can, the Audeze software didn't recognize Mobius anymore, says it's not connected. I plugged/unplugged the USB of the stand on the PC; I turned on/off the Mobius; I launched the software before/after these operations: nope, nope and nope.
What is the problem? Yesterday, on the first launch I had 0 problem with that :frowning2:
I reached out to Audeze support with the same issue 2 days ago and haven't been able to use my Mobius because of it. I've not had a response yet but when I do I will post the reply with hopefully the fix.

Sep 21, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #920 of 5,780
I reached out to Audeze support with the same issue 2 days ago and haven't been able to use my Mobius because of it. I've not had a response yet but when I do I will post the reply with hopefully the fix.

Well I think I found the problem: it's the channels!

I set Mobius AND the Audeze software in 3D manual/7.1 the first time.
When I change that, the software doesn't recognize the Mobius anymore.
I have to switch again to 3D manual/7.1 and magic magic, the software (without left/launch again) recognize it. Try that and tell me if it works, switch all until the soft recognize Mobius :)

Sep 21, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #921 of 5,780
I did briefly test the mic on discord with a mate today. Copied the settings Audeze linked and tweaked around. Sure he could hear me but he said I sounded distant, like I was shouting to get heard (I talked normally). Also I believe he said I sounded compressed as well. So I wont bother with the mic for now. Hopefully it's fixable with firmware since it's useless at this stage. A headset mic that needs special instructions (that still don't work properly) is a failure unfortunately.

A bug I've encountered on my Axon 7 phone, when I connect to it with the USB-C cable and switch over to hires, there's this super loud piecing digital noise spike, especially annoying since I have to do it every time because they cans don't remember settings...

But luckily I still think they sound amazing. :)

Sep 21, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #922 of 5,780
App starting working again but there is a bug where it resets all your head circumfrence, aural arc, ambience settings when you change modes from the headset (holding mic button for 3secs)

Sep 21, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #923 of 5,780
Mhhh... I can't control the volume in 3D manual/7.1. At all. On Windows the headphones volume control (Audeze Mobius 3D 8ch) is completely useless: 0% or 100%, it's the same thing. Directly on Mobius with the audio control, I can turn the wheel in each directions, the volume is still the same.

Is it normal? Thanks

Sep 21, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #924 of 5,780
=
Mhhh... I can't control the volume in 3D manual/7.1. At all. On Windows the headphones volume control (Audeze Mobius 3D 8ch) is completely useless: 0% or 100%, it's the same thing. Directly on Mobius with the audio control, I can turn the wheel in each directions, the volume is still the same.

Is it normal? Thanks
No. What happens when you change the volume in windows using the small speaker icon on windows ? The volume wheel changes the windows volume over USB.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 21, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #925 of 5,780

Our support staff have been swamped, Mobius is packed with features which also means more users need some hand holding.

Each mode in Mobius has its own windows sound profile and sometimes it takes a bit of nudge for windows to recognize the change.
  1. Make sure you have the latest version of Audeze app, the initial version would recognize Mobius only in 7.1 ch mode.
  2. When you change modes and the app is the latest version and it still does not recognize Mobius, close app, unplug Mobius and plug it back in the start the app.
  3. If everything else fails, switching USB port or good old restart of Win10 PC may help.
You do not need the app to be open for playing music,

Sep 21, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #926 of 5,780
=

No. What happens when you change the volume in windows using the small speaker icon on windows ? The volume wheel changes the windows volume over USB.
Nothing :p
Like I said, 0/100% under Windows is the same than using the mobius wheel: the sound stays pretty loud. In a game and under Windows 10.
My ears hurt :p

8b83dabad4bc7e4ab28848971af676c3.jpg

Edit : okay I found something: it works when I change for 2.0 and Hi-Res. It doesn't work when I use 7.1.
The 3D mode doesn't change anything (if in 7.1 the sound volume is frozen, it's not under 2.0 and Hi-Res).

And as I ever said, the @Audeze software "disconnects" when I'm not under 7.1.

66ed6fc3ceb7b5d8b3c87c1601db460f.jpg

c29779474fbf030b6d1d607d48407832.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #927 of 5,780
We will check this tomorrow. Audeze HQ for OSX should be released in 4 to 6 weeks. At the moment IOS version of HQ app is not possible because of chipset library support.

@Audeze
I used the Mobius for 3 days now, really enjoying it, and hope the HQ app for the Mobius on MacOS will be available soon.
I have however two questions:
1.The Mobius will not pair (being recognized) with my MacBook Pro (Retina mid 2012); is this cauzed by an older Bluetooth version running on my MBP, perhaps?
2. Can the Mobius be connected to the iPhone X or iPad Pro, using a USB-C to Lightning Cable? Or would this not be wise to try? I don't know what voltage the lightning port on the iPhone outputs, and I don't want to try it without consulting Audeze first, if this would be a wise try. I know there are some problems regarding the camera connection kit, and you did not manage to resolve these yet, to use with the Mobius. But a direct connection with a lightning to USB-C cable, using instead of the Bluetooth connection, could this harm the Mobius?
I also own a iSine 20 with lightning cipher cable, and I am very glad with it... so I hoped to use the Mobius in HiRes or 7.1 channels mode with the iPhone and iPad in this way.

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #928 of 5,780
Sadly, I seem to have received a defective unit. Most of the time the sound is amazing - especially in a 3D game. However, whenever my Mobius is in 7.1 mode it sometimes "pops" or "crackles" in the left ear piece. The popping and crackling are most frequent and intense when I'm playing a game with immersive sound such as Elder Scrolls Online. It actually hurts my eardrum, and it made my daughter's ear ring. Her ears are 31 years younger than mine, so they're more sensitive.

I love the headphones, but at this time I am unable to play games in 7.1 mode without pain.

@Audeze

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #930 of 5,780
Am I the only one that also prefers to use the 2 channel/3D while watching videos on lets say Youtube? the actual SQ isn't as good as in High Res mode, but the 3D effect together with the head tracking brings videos to a new level.

The only time I use the High Resolution mode is when its purely music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back