Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #931 of 5,780
Am I the only one that also prefers to use the 2 channel/3D while watching videos on lets say Youtube? the actual SQ isn't as good as in High Res mode, but the 3D effect together with the head tracking brings videos to a new level.

The only time I use the High Resolution mode is when its purely music.
I find matching the number of channels to be the same as the source a better listening experience ie two channel for stereo mixes, 7.1 for 5.1/7.1 movies. Forcing 7.1 on stereo mixes sounds off to me.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #932 of 5,780
Yeah, you're correct, forgot to add that!

I also wonder if the Mobius will work fine with a USB active extension cable? Need one in order to have enough reach for my TV.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #933 of 5,780
Our support staff have been swamped

Oh man, I do not envy Audeze customer service about now. I'm certain they're inundated with call after call, email after email and question after question. So much technology packed into these little marvels, it's no wonder so many issues can arise. So many different platforms to conform to, be it Windows, Mac, Apple and Android... when you think about it you've got to give Audeze the benefit of a doubt they're doing their best. No skimping by with just releasing hardware sans dedicating a full-time customer support team into the foreseeable future. They've got their hands full.

I miss my Mobius whilst at work. I am not allowed to use them when on the job. :triportsad:

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #934 of 5,780
Hi all. First post here :)
I received mine yesterday (Be the Early Bird, #998) without any fee (France).

I have to say I cried 2 times when I listened to some music I have for more than 20 years on my computer hard drive, old and ripped MP3 with honest quality but nothing more.
And wow. Just... wow... On ****ty MP3s. O_O

After that I listened to hard stuff: Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Genesis, some titles like Zombie of The Cranberries, Carmina Burana, The Ecstasy of Gold... it was the ecstasy of joy. It's really amazing and fantastic, for once, the advertising was true; I'm chocked :L3000: I saw the Light like Jake Blues in the Blues Brothers, my life has changed forever.

giphy.gif

All of that in [sound profiles] Music and [3D] Manual.

But now, the "problems"..

First, since today, I have the same issue:

I did all I can, the Audeze software didn't recognize Mobius anymore, says it's not connected. I plugged/unplugged the USB of the stand on the PC; I turned on/off the Mobius; I launched the software before/after these operations: nope, nope and nope.
What is the problem? Yesterday, on the first launch I had 0 problem with that :frowning2:

After that, well... too many choices kill the choice: I'm lost with the features of Mobius. The manual is very cool (and btw the french translation is perfect, well done Audeze!). The manual doesn't tell us, simple mortals/gamers, what is the better choice for the best utilisation. I don't know/understand with which support I have to use 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.1. And speaking of that, the manual says: "audio mode (7.1ch, 2ch, Hi-Res)" meaning that "Hi-res" is 2.1/5.1?

If I want to just listen to music, ok I choose the "Music" preset but after that? 3D manual? Off? 5.1? 7.1? :frowning2:

So is somebody here can tell me/us something like "you want to play games choose that, you want to see movie on DVD/BR choose that, you want to see something on Netflix choose that"? Please? é_è
In the same time I don't really understand the specificities of the 3 kinds of wire, what I gain, what I lose...

Finally, @Audeze is it possible to display the preset near the sound profiles? The titles are okay but I can't "see" the differences between them. Something like that:

9f30f9ba09d5f5533527d616c8d21a55.jpg

Well, thank you if you read me, even more if you have answers for me :)
Have a good Mobius day people.

So there is an equalizer in the Mobius app?

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #935 of 5,780
Is it just me or is the stock cable too stiff, resulting in noise making its way into the headphone? Try tapping it on a surface. Wonder if there are any replacements that reduce this issue....
If you find one, please let me know! I've been searching for good quality, flexible USB-C->USB-A cables for a while now, preferably with silicone cabling or something like that. But no luck yet.

[…]
I miss my Mobius whilst at work. I am not allowed to use them when on the job. :triportsad:
What? Why? OTOH, I didn't use them a lot yet either, they insulate too well to understand my colleagues even when listening at low volumes, which makes working together awkward. I wish there were kinda reverse-noise-canceling headphones: Ones that let no sound out, but pipe in outside voices, like the stewardess mode on regulat NC headphones, only constantly and without audio ducking.

So there is an equalizer in the Mobius app?
I think that was just his mockup of what he'd like to see.

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #936 of 5,780
Turns out my 65" UHD TV has a built in BlueTooth transmitter. Watched Sicario last night. Wow, what an experience to be able to have all the sound mixing details so close. It really enhances the movie watching experience. Normally I'm using a 5.1 Vizio sound bar, which is decent but I can't turn it up loud enough to hear all the details without waking people up. This might just be my new favorite way to use the Mobius.

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #938 of 5,780
If you're in 3D mode, try re-centring it maybe?

What I find helps is leaving the Mobius App running in the background and referring back to it every so often to check if i'm still centered correctly. It has a image representation of your head orientation. Pretty fun to watch it while listening to head banging tracks. :L3000:

https://www.audeze.com/audeze-hq-application

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #939 of 5,780
If you find one, please let me know! I've been searching for good quality, flexible USB-C->USB-A cables for a while now, preferably with silicone cabling or something like that. But no luck yet.

What? Why? OTOH, I didn't use them a lot yet either, they insulate too well to understand my colleagues even when listening at low volumes, which makes working together awkward. I wish there were kinda reverse-noise-canceling headphones: Ones that let no sound out, but pipe in outside voices, like the stewardess mode on regulat NC headphones, only constantly and without audio ducking.

I think that was just his mockup of what he'd like to see.

That’s what I thought but I know there’s a Sound Profiles tab in the app so wasn’t sure what the functionality of that is.

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #940 of 5,780
So is somebody here can tell me/us something like "you want to play games choose that, you want to see movie on DVD/BR choose that, you want to see something on Netflix choose that"? Please? é_è
In the same time I don't really understand the specificities of the 3 kinds of wire, what I gain, what I lose..

7.1: 7.1... use it for movies, games. Music is fine to and is technically the same as 2 ch, if u feed the mobius 2ch music in 7.1 mode it plays back... 2 channel xD

You can only use 3d in 7.1 or 2ch.

Hires is 3d off no(less?) Processing being done by the mobius.

Its entirely your chouce if you want to listen to music with 3d on or off.

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #941 of 5,780
@Audeze
I used the Mobius for 3 days now, really enjoying it, and hope the HQ app for the Mobius on MacOS will be available soon.
I have however two questions:
1.The Mobius will not pair (being recognized) with my MacBook Pro (Retina mid 2012); is this cauzed by an older Bluetooth version running on my MBP, perhaps?

I also have a MacBook Pro (mid 2012) and I've had no connection problems via Bluetooth. I'm not doing anything special, either. Double tap the power button to put it in pairing mode, made sure Bluetooth on my Mac was turned on, opened Bluetooth preferences and waited until I saw "Audeze Mobius 3D BT" then I hit connect and it worked just fine.

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #942 of 5,780
That’s what I thought but I know there’s a Sound Profiles tab in the app so wasn’t sure what the functionality of that is.
That's the point. The "sound profiles" only has a list of named presets, not the visual presets like I added in example.
The list is: Flat, Default, Foot Steps, Ballistics, Music, Racing and RPG.

7.1: 7.1... use it for movies, games. Music is fine to and is technically the same as 2 ch, if u feed the mobius 2ch music in 7.1 mode it plays back... 2 channel xD

You can only use 3d in 7.1 or 2ch.

Hires is 3d off no(less?) Processing being done by the mobius.

Its entirely your chouce if you want to listen to music with 3d on or off.
Thanks! :)

Like I said earlier today I have problem with the 7.1 and Audeze's software :frowning2: Hope @Audeze will post a new related answer later :)
For the Hi-Res, it's weird but for me it's the worst choice for now, in Music and Games it's really bad (for me/my ears) and worst than my last Sennheiser PC360...

Sep 21, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #943 of 5,780
anyone played destiny 2 with mobius in 7.1 / 5.1? does d2 even support this? When I play with this mode enabled it sounds weird and echo-y. I've tried with both 3d on and off, 2ch with 3d and hi res seem to sound normal.

I suspect you need to restart the game each time you change the channel mode in the mobius? I tested Destiny 2 out with 7.1 3d On and wasn't overly impressed but with other games I was. Each game seems to prefer certain modes. Like for Overwatch you want the 3d off you so you can take advantage of the Dolby Atmos I believe.

Sep 21, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #945 of 5,780
Has anyone had the app freeze on them like below in WIndows 10?
MazItMJ.png

I've
- Uninstalled and rebooted
- Installed in Admin mode and rebooted
- Cleared cache in AppData/Local and installed again.
- Used different USB sockets
-Powered off and on the Headset
All don't fix

It could be your FPS and temp overlay is crashing the app, try turning those off. App is working fine for me in WIndows 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back