Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 19, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #856 of 5,780
Forgive me if this has been answered .... :

How do I know I'm getting a true movie 5.1 audio signal rather than standard 2 channel that the mobius is spacializing?

Following a suggestion I read in this forum, I installed the Netflix windows app on my Windows 10 PC. The mobius is the sound device set to 3d 8 channel. I play a movie that is supposed to be 5.1 (someone recommended Thor : Ragnarok).

As it's playing, I click the audio/subtitles bubble and see my audio choices are English - Audio Decription (2.0) , English [Original] (2.0) (checked) , and Spanish (2.0).

Is Netflix really sending 5.1 even though the settings options are limited to 2.0 ?

You can tell you're getting surround by looking off to the side of your screen and listening for clear sounds behind you. A lot of it isn't very obvious. Hans Zimmer Live (also on Netflix) is super obvious. The rear channels are entirely crowd noise.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #857 of 5,780
I’ve just realized: Audeze is the first manufacturer to produce a natural 5.1/7.1 headphone. Head-tracking for this purpose really makes a difference in distinguishing between the various channels.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #858 of 5,780
Forgive me if this has been answered .... :

How do I know I'm getting a true movie 5.1 audio signal rather than standard 2 channel that the mobius is spacializing?

Following a suggestion I read in this forum, I installed the Netflix windows app on my Windows 10 PC. The mobius is the sound device set to 3d 8 channel. I play a movie that is supposed to be 5.1 (someone recommended Thor : Ragnarok).

As it's playing, I click the audio/subtitles bubble and see my audio choices are English - Audio Decription (2.0) , English [Original] (2.0) (checked) , and Spanish (2.0).

Is Netflix really sending 5.1 even though the settings options are limited to 2.0 ?

EDIT:

I may have answered my own question. I thought I heard from someone that the browser version doesn't do 5.1. I compared the same section between browser and app, and thought the app sounded more like surround. Could be expection bias, though, so who knows?

For PCs Neflix 5.1 is available only on Windows 8/10 Netflix App.

1. Make sure your Mobius is in 8ch mode.
  2. Make sure Mobius is the default device on windows sound
  3. in Netflix app make sure you choose 5,1 soundtrack.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #859 of 5,780
For PCs Neflix 5.1 is available only on Windows 8/10 Netflix App.

1. Make sure your Mobius is in 8ch mode.
  2. Make sure Mobius is the default device on windows sound
  3. in Netflix app make sure you choose 5,1 soundtrack.

Thanks guys. I found that some movies designated as 5.1 aren't actually transmitted in 5.1 on netflix. I switched to a spiderman movie and found 5.1 audio (checked by default) in that netflix audio settings menu I mentioned earlier.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #860 of 5,780
You can tell you're getting surround by looking off to the side of your screen and listening for clear sounds behind you. A lot of it isn't very obvious. Hans Zimmer Live (also on Netflix) is super obvious. The rear channels are entirely crowd noise.

You're right, that makes it super-obvious. With 2-channel spacialized sound, if you turn your head around, all the sound seems to be coming from the original centered area.

With the Hans Zimmer Live video, the sound comes from all around, EVEN as you turn your head around (of course, the tracking makes the sounds appear to be coming from a position fixed in space).

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #861 of 5,780
If anyones curious, I plugged the Mobius into an uptone iso regen and ultracap lps 1.2 combo. As expected a significantly cleaner and more detailed sound. That combined with EQing the headphones flat(and I mean flat flat about 6-9db off 2khz to 4khz) really suprised me with how good the Mobius sounded. It doesn't have the fidelity of my main system(see sig), but again a significantly better sound than plugged straight into the computer with no eq. One of my main tests for stuff like this is waterfalls in movies, the new tomb raider is a good example, there's so much treble information it's grating but when you clean the signal up and eq flat it becomes very lifelike.
I'm still waiting for my headphones to arrive but would something like the iPurifier3, iPurifier2, Schiit Wyrd help at least somewhat i don't have the money for any of those high end ones.

Sep 19, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #862 of 5,780
I'm still waiting for my headphones to arrive but would something like the iPurifier3, iPurifier2, Schiit Wyrd help at least somewhat i don't have the money for any of those high end ones.

Those are good reclockers but don't have galvanic isolation. Sometimes you'll see used iso regens go up for $200. I like the iso regen alot since its the full package except for a power supply. Galvanic isolation, a good usb hub chip, a crystek clock, and ultra low noise voltage regulators.

Sep 19, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #864 of 5,780
Can anyone with a Mac test the mic? That would narrow it down to drivers or not.

I just tried this and had the same results on my Mac as I had on my PC. Low recording volume that fluctuated to almost silent. I used the same USB cable on the PC and the Mac and had the Mic within an inch of my mouth. PC is windows 10, USB2 port, Aukey 6 ft USB-A to USB-C cable, using Microsoft Voice Recorder. Mac Mini (2014), USB3 port, Aukey 6 ft USB-A to USB-C cable, Simple Recorder-Voice Recorder (free on App store). I also installed the discord app on the Mac and used the Audeze recommended settings though not sure how well it worked since I had no friends on at the time.

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #865 of 5,780
I have also read that if you properly feed the whole computer clean power that will eliminate the noise. So many things so much confusion.

Maybe... heh... but you can get high speed usb isolators for $100 now. Quite a bit cheaper than a $1-3,000 1kw atx linear power supply o.O

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #866 of 5,780
Does USB sound better than 3.5mm via the DualShock4 controller?
If there are differences - too close to tell. The advantage of using 3.5 is that you can change modes without losing connection. The advantage of using USB - and the big one for me - is the volume on USB is much stronger.
I have to crank up the PS4 controller output to max and the game's volume to max too - tested with Spiderman and the volume is acceptable but still on the soft side.

Sep 19, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #867 of 5,780
@Audeze what is up with the charging? Mine and many others mobius will not charge to 100% and just get stuck at 98% is this a bug? Does anyone know?

I have seen many reports of this and now I’m another one with this issue.

I can't get my Mobius to stop charging via USB. I can hold the wheel down to turn charging off and I do get the audible note that charging is turned off. However, the charging light remains on and the battery doesn't seem to drain. The battery indicator in the app also seems pretty buggy. Mine keeps giving different readings and seems to keep defaulting back to 98%.

Also, you are correct that it only charges to 98%. I don't think the app will read 100%. The app is buggy enough that you can't really tell where the battery is actually at though anyway lol. In the screenshot below my Pixel 2 shows the headphones at 70%, meanwhile the Audeze app is showing them at 98%.

Screenshot_20180919-172958.png

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #868 of 5,780
If there are differences - too close to tell. The advantage of using 3.5 is that you can change modes without losing connection. The advantage of using USB - and the big one for me - is the volume on USB is much stronger.
I have to crank up the PS4 controller output to max and the game's volume to max too - tested with Spiderman and the volume is acceptable but still on the soft side.

I’ve been trying to find technical specifications on the DualShock 4 audio output. Xbox One outputs uncompressed audio so I’d hope PS4 would too, especially since Sony designed LDAC. A bit lame Sony doesn’t include LDAC even on the Pro. Maybe due to latency. Hopefully it’s also uncompressed headset audio.

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #869 of 5,780
[Posted originally in the other Audeze Mobius thread]

Quick Bites. These bites are from the initial impressions of a home theater audiophile and a total audio noob after two days of usage. Full YT video review coming soon.

"The Audeze Mobius is a technical marvel, in some ways surpassing my expectations while failing others. I did not buy these expecting a roundhouse kick to HP's priced $500 or higher, but I did expect them to outclass almost every single gaming headset on the market... The Mobius HP's are Bass Lite. Look elsewhere if you want your head clapped by thunderous bass strikes. If you appreciate music and movies...love gaming, the Mobius delivers. If you love music but casually enjoy the other multimedia mediums, Audeze has much better offerings. The next gen Mobius with my small list of suggested updates/improvements would be untouchable"

"Wow, these things are loud, why does it default to 100%? The 3D audio is trippy. They sound really good. How much are they? They feel good but I do not think I can leave them on for hours. The controls are not intuitive at all. How much do these cost again? *Connects them to an Xbox One X* These do not sound as good as they do when connected to my PC. *Connects them to a phone via LDAC* These things are awesome. Much better than any wireless headphone I have ever used with my phone"

Sep 19, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #870 of 5,780
[Posted originally in the other Audeze Mobius thread]

Quick Bites. These bites are from the initial impressions of a home theater audiophile and a total audio noob after two days of usage. Full YT video review coming soon.

"The Audeze Mobius is a technical marvel, in some ways surpassing my expectations while failing others. I did not buy these expecting a roundhouse kick to HP's priced $500 or higher, but I did expect them to outclass almost every single gaming headset on the market... The Mobius HP's are Bass Lite. Look elsewhere if you want your head clapped by thunderous bass strikes. If you appreciate music and movies...love gaming, the Mobius delivers. If you love music but casually enjoy the other multimedia mediums, Audeze has much better offerings. The next gen Mobius with my small list of suggested updates/improvements would be untouchable"

"Wow, these things are loud, why does it default to 100%? The 3D audio is trippy. They sound really good. How much are they? They feel good but I do not think I can leave them on for hours. The controls are not intuitive at all. How much do these cost again? *Connects them to an Xbox One X* These do not sound as good as they do when connected to my PC. *Connects them to a phone via LDAC* These things are awesome. Much better than any wireless headphone I have ever used with my phone"

They have a solid amount of bass for a headphone of this class but it is unemphasized flat bass. I think the only preset missing is one that provides visceral impact like the Sine or EL-8. I’d hope to see a better bass boosted preset in the future if possible. I don’t like the tuning of the Music preset because the mid-range noticeably loses clarity and even though only recessed 2dB sounds congested compared to the other presets.

What are your suggested updates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back