Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 19, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #841 of 5,780
Jesus, these are great. Like, wow. I thought my HP50s were the pinnacle of closed headphone value but I honestly feel these are an upgrade.
If anyone's worried about anemic bass - don't be! These are full-bodied and most definitely not thin-sounding without verging into the "bassy" territory. I've been using these mostly on LDAC (LDAC is amazing lmao) and usb-c to my MBP for music purposes and I'm extremely satisfied. Definitely well worth the wait.

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #842 of 5,780
Tried them a bit more while I could, working on creating voice recordings.

50% Windows microphone, 100% audeze microphone works best. Tried recording via aux into my note 4 and had better results. Volume across the board is better with less dropouts. Plosives are moderate to severe (PC and Phone), unless if the microphone is moved another inch away from mouth, which then it doesn't pick anything up. Might try a piece of foam over the mic.

There is no way to get this thing to work correctly in Windows.

One thing I can't stand is that 100% hardware microphone volume on Mobius is needed, which results in noise/hum from interference. I see it as an issue, Audeze apparently considers it a feature. Reducing the microphone volume isn't recommended because the levels are low to begin with. Reducing the microphone volume lessens the crosstalk issue though. Is this something that is planned to be solved by firmware? Perhaps a toggle option for microphone monitoring?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #845 of 5,780
PS4 volume is fine for me. Set the Mobius to two channel and plug it into the PS4. Turn on PS4. Unplug Mobius. Plug it back into PS4. Volume is fine. Not tried the mic though as I never play online on consoles.

Note every time I change a setting on the Mobius ie another sound profile, the PS4 stops recognizing the Mobius but unplugging/plugging the Mobius back in allows it to be recognized by the PS4 again and audio resumes.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #846 of 5,780
Can anyone with a Mac test the mic? That would narrow it down to drivers or not.
I use mine on a MacBook Pro for Skype and its fine.

Sep 19, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #847 of 5,780
Has anyone had the app freeze on them like below in WIndows 10?
MazItMJ.png

I've
- Uninstalled and rebooted
- Installed in Admin mode and rebooted
- Cleared cache in AppData/Local and installed again.
- Used different USB sockets
-Powered off and on the Headset
All don't fix

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #848 of 5,780
Am liking these more with the music preset. Did some measurements to see what I was liking and sure enough it appears the preset tames the highs a bit and adds to the lows. Don't take these FR curves literally: I did them by sticking my calibrated mic into the cup while the headphones were on a stand, so I'm sure the bass leaked like a WH staffer.
Of note is that, at least according to the measurements I made, music mode shaves about 100μs off the ITD. Anyone else notice this? Sure does seem like the movement shifts a bit more sharply in this mode.

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #851 of 5,780
This thread is turning out to be just as cluttered and a mess as the other one...

I think we need a separate Mobius FAQ/Troubleshooting thread...

On the plus side the majority of the impressions have been positive.

Edit: I seriously think a troubleshooting thread is a good idea. Considering the complexity of Mobius, as predicted there will be a lot of users with questions.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #852 of 5,780
Jesus, these are great. Like, wow. I thought my HP50s were the pinnacle of closed headphone value but I honestly feel these are an upgrade.
If anyone's worried about anemic bass - don't be! These are full-bodied and most definitely not thin-sounding without verging into the "bassy" territory. I've been using these mostly on LDAC (LDAC is amazing lmao) and usb-c to my MBP for music purposes and I'm extremely satisfied. Definitely well worth the wait.

I don’t think anyone's complaining about anemic bass. While it doesn’t have the same level of visceral impact as the EL-8 or Sine with Cipher (assuming that includes LCD-2 as well), it does produce a full bass range with enough presence and punch. Its default sound is virtually neutral with a flat uncolored bass. Mobius will be a great introduction to Audeze for many.

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #853 of 5,780
Forgive me if this has been answered .... :

How do I know I'm getting a true movie 5.1 audio signal rather than standard 2 channel that the mobius is spacializing?

Following a suggestion I read in this forum, I installed the Netflix windows app on my Windows 10 PC. The mobius is the sound device set to 3d 8 channel. I play a movie that is supposed to be 5.1 (someone recommended Thor : Ragnarok).

As it's playing, I click the audio/subtitles bubble and see my audio choices are English - Audio Decription (2.0) , English [Original] (2.0) (checked) , and Spanish (2.0).

Is Netflix really sending 5.1 even though the settings options are limited to 2.0 ?

EDIT:

I may have answered my own question. I thought I heard from someone that the browser version doesn't do 5.1. I compared the same section between browser and app, and thought the app sounded more like surround. Could be expection bias, though, so who knows?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #854 of 5,780
PS4 volume is fine for me. Set the Mobius to two channel and plug it into the PS4. Turn on PS4. Unplug Mobius. Plug it back into PS4. Volume is fine. Not tried the mic though as I never play online on consoles.

Note every time I change a setting on the Mobius ie another sound profile, the PS4 stops recognizing the Mobius but unplugging/plugging the Mobius back in allows it to be recognized by the PS4 again and audio resumes.

Does USB sound better than 3.5mm via the DualShock4 controller?

Sep 19, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #855 of 5,780
Forgive me if this has been answered .... :

How do I know I'm getting a true movie 5.1 audio signal rather than standard 2 channel that the mobius is spacializing?

Following a suggestion I read in this forum, I installed the Netflix windows app on my Windows 10 PC. The mobius is the sound device set to 3d 8 channel. I play a movie that is supposed to be 5.1 (someone recommended Thor : Ragnarok).

As it's playing, I click the audio/subtitles bubble and see my audio choices are English - Audio Decription (2.0) , English [Original] (2.0) (checked) , and Spanish (2.0).

Is Netflix really sending 5.1 even though the settings options are limited to 2.0 ?

You may be correct that Netflix is sending a 2.0 signal. The browser site doesn’t support 5.1 however the Windows app should. (This also explains why movies through the STARZ site sounded much better to me than the Netflix site.)

Assuming that there may be a setting to enable in the Netflix app.

https://help.netflix.com/en/node/14163

Users who are viewing this thread

Back