Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 18, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #796 of 5,780
It's doesn't seem like drift though. It really feels like it has a center point and if I keep my head looking a certain way for an extended period of time then it aligns to that point. It is not on auto. I have made certain. It is always on manual and still always wants to auto center itself to whatever direction I am looking. While its subtle, I am looking across 3 monitors, I can tell it has recentered itself to whatever monitor I am looking at. This may seem convenient but it isn't. I still always want the sound to sound like its coming from my center monitor. I don't have a problem if I am playing a game that demands my attention on the center screen but if I am playing an mmo or something that there is some down time to look at another monitor for just a couple minutes I still don't want the mobius to re-center itself. It's trivial I guess. "omg he has to hit a button to realign it to the center monitor". It is just too often and it is too quick to re-center itself.

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #797 of 5,780
II think the 3d does a great job of holding your head position. I'm sitting on a office chair and I can move and swivel my chair and the mobius does a great job of tracking me .

I like to hit re center whenever i stand up or do a radical movement however. The mobius only have one reference point so expecting it to 100% know where it is in a 3d space is kinda unrealistic...

I will however say that I think we would benefit greatly by:

1) Having speaker angle/position control like in the Waves NX app
2) Being able to manipulate volumes for each virtual speaker.

IMHO

Some games have good sound mixing but the rear channels are way too quiet and get drowned by the front channels.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #798 of 5,780
Lazy copy/paste from the other thread. Going to bed in a few mins....here's a quick post that'll ramble a bit.

Tried them for the afternoon (music, movies, games all via USB to PC). Sound for a closed headphone is great. No issues with the amp being warm. Hiss is minimal and probably average for Mobius.

As others have complained, the microphone is very poor. My conclusion is that it's faulty - it's unusable in it's current form. Physical connections are correct - tried another usb port as well for good measure. It doesn't mater what headphone mode or Windows sound settings are used. Discord settings are set up as per Audeze and also tried alternative settings, with no luck. Made voice recordings that confirms the voice volume being weak, having tinny sound, breath clipping issues, and vastly varying volume. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that this microphone is the worst I've used by a long shot and can't be working as intended. Contacting Audeze in the near future when I get the chance. S**t happens, but I'm hoping this doesn't turn into some sort of microphone-gate.

If you haven't tested your microphone via making voice files in Windows, do it now and report back if you can. Very curious to see if the issue is widespread and/or undiscovered by those who didn't use the microphone yet.

Edit- Read this over and came to the conclusion that I went a little over-ranty. Not what I intended, but wanted to make the microphone issues loud and clear. :)

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #799 of 5,780
Mic is also an issue for me, if I place it below my mouth within an inch the voice is too low, but if I place it closer to my mouth the voice level is fine, but the mic picks up my breathing.

Also there is a slight hiss when you're recording something.... No matter if I have it 0.1 cm to my mouth or 5 cm.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #800 of 5,780
Sometimes restarting discord helps. Also go to Voice & Video in the settings and set make sure the input/output devices are set correctly
Sometimes restarting discord (and/or PC) helps. I initially had a problem connecting and my friend and i both restarted our PC's and it worked fine after that. Also go to Voice & Video in the settings and set make sure the input/output devices are set correctly
Thanks for the help that worked.

From what i'm told my mic sounds good. I speak softly so I have to max out the mic volume and move it away from my mouth a little so it doesn't pick up any weird breathing noises. I also used the recommended discord settings.

It would be really awesome if I could control the volume of other peoples voices with the mic wheel though. Maybe put the volume settings for my mic in the app and have the wheel control the volume of other people instead. This is probably my only issue with these. Otherwise I love them, they are great PC gaming headphones.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #801 of 5,780
Played some dirty bomb and also added my HRTF info head size etc.

My jaw was dropping half of the match. The localization was insane.

I didn't get the "I'm in a room full of speakers" feel, more like I more expansive sound stage with excellent imaging.

It did NOT help me win of course :frowning2: but for the first time I was able to tell which direction the airstrikes were coming from!

I have played this game extensively with creative sbx and it doesn't compare.
As for the microphone, I gave it a try .

I used windows recorder and I couldn't really get it to record at a decent volume . I did try it in CSGO and my friends said they could hear me loud and clear so no clue what's going on ..

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #802 of 5,780
This is incorrect. We have spoken to many people and found out that there are different issues. Not everyone has a microphone issue.
Discord certified the same units we are shipping to customers now. (Aug end shipments).
We are still investigating the issue. We spoke to several people on and off the forum. We are still trying to figure out if this issue is limited to some users.
Both Audeze and Discord (the company) tested the mics and have not found any issue in the units we tested.
In speaking with some of the customers
1. A few people called us about mic not working, but had connected the mic to the 3.5 mm port (and not the microphone port).
2. Some people had the mute switch on.
3. A few people had software settings enabled that caused some of the issues (like cutting in/out). This was either because very high sensitivity for voice trigger was enabled or automatic gain control was enabled.
4. With some other we getting more information and trying to locate the issue.

So we have started writing a best practices note on how to use it with various apps. We will add more to this list.
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...e-your-microphone-for-use-with-VoIP-utilities
Can you reach out to me also so I can follow your workarounds to getting decent output from my mic? I've already provided samples in this thread. I can provide any infoz pics, recordings etc you need to locate the issue. Thanks

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #803 of 5,780
I'm trying to find a way to watch my digital copies from Blu-ray combo packs with surround on my windows 10 pc and haven't had any luck with YouTube, Amazon prime, or Movies Anywhere.

Is there something I'm missing? Netflix works great, but that seems to be the only thing that works on my PC.

The windows vudu app feeds 5.1 eac3(dolby digital +)

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #804 of 5,780
anyone played destiny 2 with mobius in 7.1 / 5.1? does d2 even support this? When I play with this mode enabled it sounds weird and echo-y. I've tried with both 3d on and off, 2ch with 3d and hi res seem to sound normal.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #805 of 5,780
@Audeze how about a flat raw response preset? I've found with hrtf/hrir it's good for headphones to be eq'd to dead flat like loudspeakers. Was this tested by chance?

Screenshot_20180918-220021_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

Tried hitting the Mobius with that and 3d music sounds much better.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #806 of 5,780
anyone played destiny 2 with mobius in 7.1 / 5.1? does d2 even support this? When I play with this mode enabled it sounds weird and echo-y. I've tried with both 3d on and off, 2ch with 3d and hi res seem to sound normal.

Yeah I played D2 and it was amazing. It is a bit echoy compared to standard 2d sound, but you can turn down the room ambience if you are particularly sensitive to reverberations

I found the default to be pretty minimal however.

AFIK as long as mobius is your primary sound device on w10, Destiny 2 will be 7.1 automatically

Trying the witcher 3 right now and its... @_@ glorious.

It is a bit echoy , compared to other games but the sound stage is pretty impressive. Its distracting and creepy as im passing everyone on my horse and voices come from behind me. It seems like the AI only triggers voice lines as you are passing everyone >_>

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #807 of 5,780
edit; sidetone volume can be lowered until inaudible so no worries to people that don't want to hear it. when full audio was on with Timestretch, I couldn't even hear sidetone at the loudest volume

Please share how sidetone can be turned down? It's driving me nuts.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #808 of 5,780
Does anyone have any cool audio 7.1 things you can use to test Mobius? Youtube or something of that nature? share some links!

I tested Mobius tonight with a voice call and the mic and again...no noticeable issues for me there either. My mic seems to be working fine as far as I can tell. Seems to work pretty well for both voice calls and for discord, so I'm pretty happy.

The audio quality on these things is fantastic over LDAC 96.0 kHz/24 bit, I'm blown away by how good they sound.

When connecting to a device via Bluetooth (Android) and streaming LDAC @ 96 kHz, I'm guessing this automatically puts the Mobius into High Res mode?

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #809 of 5,780
@Audeze

I think the microphone problem might be software based/ windows based.

When I try using the mic on win10 , I have trouble adjusting it, needs to be in a very precise spot to pick up my voice and then the volume goes up and down randomly on occasion.

When I use LDAC on Android, NONE of these things happen. I can have the mic pretty far away from me, not facing directly at me, and my voice comes out crisp and clear. No random lowering of volume either.

The issue must be rooted on Windows 10 .

@ anyone with mic issues

can you use your phone to record your voice? . Put the headset on and try to record your voice on window. Then without taking it off switch to bluetooth and try to do the same with your phone. For me the difference is night and day ... With my phone it picks up some background noise that it does not on PC but man the voice comes out much easier.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #810 of 5,780
Please share how sidetone can be turned down? It's driving me nuts.

I lower my mic volume to about 50% and put the mic facing my mouth but close to my chin

Wife has me up to 170% in discord and can hear me

I played squad and teammate said I was barely audible

I occasionally have to hard reset discord to hear other voices. Also, I only use push to talk to avoid breathing into the mic. I do plan on getting a boom like what the mod mic has and that'll eliminate breathing noises but possibly make my voice quieter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back