Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 18, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #766 of 5,780
So I have been playing around with the mic today (for a couple hours) trying to get it right. I made a quick little video. Nothing special, I am not a youtuber trying to get likes and subs. But I figured I would post and link it to you guys. Maybe get some ideas. I used the Equalizer APO and the Peace GUI for it.

edit* I probably read that paragraph 100 times working on the EQ lol

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #767 of 5,780
So I gave it some time, rebooted the ipad, updated it.

Still a crazy 0.5-1s lag on youtube in bluetooth mode.

Edit: Also the bluetooth double tap to pair to last device does not work for me.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #768 of 5,780
In the 'other' thread, one user is reporting a low-frequency hum when plugged into a power source via USB. If not a fault with that specific unit, this - along with the possibility of excessively loud hiss, which still seems to be an issue for some - would be order cancellation time for me. Can anyone else confirm a hum?

"Secondly and more seriously, there is an audible low-pitched hum whenever the headphone is plugged in via USB to any power source or host. It sounds a bit like a ~40Hz triangle wave to my ears and it is present whether USB charging is turned off or not and it is even present when the headphones themselves are turned off. Unplugging the USB cable immediately removes this hum. I've tested numerous USB ports on my pc and a USB charger and all cause the same hum at the same volume. Like the hiss this is not noticeable during music playback for the most part, but it is a little more noticeable than the hiss to me. This is something that my brain is able to tune out if I don't focus on it, but not everyone is able to do that."

EDIT: Turns out his hum was down to his PC not being grounded. False alarm - apologies!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #769 of 5,780
So I have been playing around with the mic today (for a couple hours) trying to get it right. I made a quick little video. Nothing special, I am not a youtuber trying to get likes and subs. But I figured I would post and link it to you guys. Maybe get some ideas. I used the Equalizer APO and the Peace GUI for it.

edit* I probably read that paragraph 100 times working on the EQ lol

IMO that still sounds really bad. When I play games and use Discord as my VOIP communication, team mates with good normalized mics usually are within the -9 to -12db range which is great because I don't need to make individual adjustments for them.

As soon as someone who has a bad mic even with the user volume slider at 200% I have to increase my headset volume just for that one person which affects in game sounds and requires juggling with sliders.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #770 of 5,780
Found another speedlink mic in my drawer of spares lol which actually worked.
The speedlink mic is much better.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GQwXbWxERVMGJNy9q96ZCLtfbMvSdg8y

Quality is much better and I could hear the myself through the headset, I think in the manual it mentioned that is normal (I forgot the technical name). I could have put on a small windsock and moved it closer to my mouth to reduce some of the plosives whilst making it louder, but forgot to test.

Compare the above to the earlier recording with the Mobius mic and draw your own conlusions
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10sn2brZlc9-jZDN-wCc7YxdB-LC8JhMB

Were the record volume kept at same levels for both recordings? Just wondering as there's a whooping ~15dB difference in volume level quickly comparing the two recordings in audacity. I don't know, I hope this can be fixed but seems the max volume is set a bit too low in Mobius in order to stay at a reasonable level compared to other headsets. This is particularly an issue for clan gaming where you become that one annoying headset guy everyone else has to compensate for.

At this point I'm sure "optimal app per app" settings is not going to cut it unfortunately, another mic might be the only solution unless Audeze can raise the gain lvl of the mic in the firmware (is that possible?) Also a lowcut < 150Hz or so sounds like it would be in order and would clear things up a lot already.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #771 of 5,780
IMO that still sounds really bad. When I play games and use Discord as my VOIP communication, team mates with good normalized mics usually are within the -9 to -12db range which is great because I don't need to make individual adjustments for them.

As soon as someone who has a bad mic even with the user volume slider at 200% I have to increase my headset volume just for that one person which affects in game sounds and requires juggling with sliders.

I agree it is not ideal. I had zero problems with my mic on my G933. Though I have yet to get into discord with anyone. All my friends are currently at work so I don't know how this sounds after using the EQ in discord. Later on this evening I will get impressions from some friends to see how it is to be adjusted and post on here some of their feedback.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #772 of 5,780
Were the record volume kept at same levels for both recordings? Just wondering as there's a whooping ~15dB difference in volume level quickly comparing the two recordings in audacity. I don't know, I hope this can be fixed but seems the max volume is set a bit too low in Mobius in order to stay at a reasonable level compared to other headsets. This is particularly an issue for clan gaming where you become that one annoying headset guy everyone else has to compensate for.

I certainly assumed so in my replies.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #773 of 5,780
I cant get mine to work on discord. It seems like it picking up my mic but I cant hear anyone. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I guess people can hear me but my mic is cutting out and im super quiet...

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #774 of 5,780
I cant get mine to work on discord. It seems like it picking up my mic but I cant hear anyone. Anyone have any ideas?

Sometimes restarting discord (and/or PC) helps. I initially had a problem connecting and my friend and i both restarted our PC's and it worked fine after that. Also go to Voice & Video in the settings and set make sure the input/output devices are set correctly

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #775 of 5,780
I picked mine up in Sweden today. (Thanks for that Belgian re-routing so I didn't have to pay any import/taxes/extras <3) So far they sound very nice, toying with the settings and what not. Tho I can't really say I've noticed much if anything with the EQ settings. But I haven't sat down specifically to check that part. Haven't bothered with the mic yet as well, but that will come when I can be arsed. Bluetooth is surprisingly good, even with just SBC. Also the range is insane, I can have my phone by my computer and sit downstairs in a comfy chair with no problems.

Coming from the X00 Ebony these things aren't bass light by any stretch. If a person considers the Mobius to be bass light then either they have a defective unit or they're expecting subwoofers mounted to your head like one of those beer helmets. I'm going to give the new Solo movie a go later tonight and see how that is. Did a few rounds of DM in CS and it was weird to say the least. But I don't think I'll even bother finding the best settings and getting used to it. My HD580 are much more suited for that since they're light as a feather, no clamp and open backed. So no sweaty ears.

I could maybe consider the idea of selling my Nighthawks and Ebony for the LCD2C down the line. We'll see.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #776 of 5,780
My Mobius headphones arrived yesterday and I'm very disappointed. I bought these purely for listening to multichannel music hoping they would provide a surround sound experience on headphones but they don't do this and I would strongly advise anyone buying them specifically for this purpose to try before they buy.

The problem is simple: they do not provide any sensation of sound coming from behind the listener and therefore they're incapable of providing a surround sound or multichannel experience. What they successfully do is overcome the problem with normal headphones, which is that the centre of the sound stage is in the centre of your head. The Mobius headphones take the sound out of your head and throw it in front of you - although, bizarrely, I find they also lift the sound upwards so that it's in front of you and above your head rather than just in front of you. But whatever it does, all of the sound is still very much in front of you. All it does with the rear channels is place them to the sides of the existing front channels - so the rear left is simply to the left of the front left and the rear right is simply to the right of the front right. There is no surround sound, and multichannel music played back on these headphones sounds weird because the positioning of the "virtual" loudspeakers is very different from the speaker positioning envisaged by the engineer who did the mix.

I ordered these headphones blind many months ago when I didn't understand properly what they were. Audeze's website now clearly states that these headphones are "designed specifically for gamers" and does not claim that they offer surround sound so I don't think they are making any false claims for the Mobius - it's my fault for misunderstanding what they were. I hope others are enjoying them and best of luck to Audeze with this product, even though it's not for me.
Are you sure you have setup the Mobius correctly ? Are you using it on a mac or windows ? When setup correctly you can easily hear sound both in front and back. We have movie composers to sound engineers using Mobius specifically for multi-channel audio. Infact prior to releasing Mobius we had a lengthy pilot testing for 7.1 audio deliverable with a major studio in Los Angeles. Please give us a call and we can help you make sure the setup is correct.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #777 of 5,780
. Bluetooth is surprisingly good, I THINK i'm on Aptx, for sure isn't LDAC because that's not updated on my phone yet. Also the range is insane, I can have my phone by my computer and sit downstairs in a comfy chair with no problems.
Mobius supports only SBC, AAC and LDAC. There is no APTX. If you are on an iPhone then you are using AAC. If you using older android version, it is most probably SBC.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #778 of 5,780

At this point I'm sure "optimal app per app" settings is not going to cut it unfortunately, another mic might be the only solution unless Audeze can raise the gain lvl of the mic in the firmware (is that possible?) Also a lowcut < 200Hz sounds like it would be in order and would clear things up a lot already.

Yes I kept everything equal for both mics.
- Position away from mouth and under mouth (1 inch. I even used a ruler for this lol)
- I even positioned the speedlink mic to the side, away from it's frontal pickup pattern.
- In the Auduze app mic level was at 100%
- Windows Recording mic properties was at 100%
- Spoke normally, no raised inflections in my voice.
- Plugged into the Mobius's mic socket

With my Speedlink mic at 1inch away I could hear the sidetone that Audeze mention in their article. With the mic that comes with the Mobius I couldn hear my own voice. I just wish Aueze would respond to the mic issues because I've followed all the guides they have provided.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #779 of 5,780
My Mobius headphones arrived yesterday and I'm very disappointed. I bought these purely for listening to multichannel music hoping they would provide a surround sound experience on headphones but they don't do this and I would strongly advise anyone buying them specifically for this purpose to try before they buy.

The problem is simple: they do not provide any sensation of sound coming from behind the listener and therefore they're incapable of providing a surround sound or multichannel experience. What they successfully do is overcome the problem with normal headphones, which is that the centre of the sound stage is in the centre of your head. The Mobius headphones take the sound out of your head and throw it in front of you - although, bizarrely, I find they also lift the sound upwards so that it's in front of you and above your head rather than just in front of you. But whatever it does, all of the sound is still very much in front of you. All it does with the rear channels is place them to the sides of the existing front channels - so the rear left is simply to the left of the front left and the rear right is simply to the right of the front right. There is no surround sound, and multichannel music played back on these headphones sounds weird because the positioning of the "virtual" loudspeakers is very different from the speaker positioning envisaged by the engineer who did the mix.

I ordered these headphones blind many months ago when I didn't understand properly what they were. Audeze's website now clearly states that these headphones are "designed specifically for gamers" and does not claim that they offer surround sound so I don't think they are making any false claims for the Mobius - it's my fault for misunderstanding what they were. I hope others are enjoying them and best of luck to Audeze with this product, even though it's not for me.

I have the opposite experience: Rear sounds are somewhat believable, but FL/FR still seem to go straight through my head when looking forward. These kinds of ambiguities and the height shifting are common things to experience with non-personal virtualization. I'm reserving total judgement until I can do some customization with the Mac app. I DO find the surround experience enjoyable, even if it's not utterly believable.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #780 of 5,780
To demonstrate what I meant earlier by giving Mobius mic a lowcut on the bass frequencies would clear things up quite a lot, doing a lowcut as such:

bxKSuz2.jpg

Results in:

Before & After (volume boosted ~16dB for your convenience):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TpHPMNfI--f4Qn16qspW0Y6KPI5j-17n/view

(Thx to @majnu for the recording)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back