Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #781 of 5,780
As much as I read this thread, so far I think no one have talked about this:
Is the microphone issue due to the fix Audeze applied on the headphones ? That said, I have a hard time believing they did not re-test everything after they found the good recipe for the hiss fix, but who knows..?!

I suppose the Discord Certification was tested and applied to the pre-hiss fixe unites.
So far nearly everyone have problems with their mics, we heard about the issue specifically on discord (discord wouldn't certify a garbage mic like that) but outside of discord , nearly all of Mobius' users have problems too.

It would be great to have some feedback from those who kept their hissing units, does their mic sound so muffled and low too ? I remember hearing some samples that someone (MLE?) uploaded to SoundCloud like a month ago and it sounded pretty good, and nobody yet had trashtalked the microphone (correct me if I'm wrong).

Other than the microphone issue that is still a mystery to us, another concern is about the 3D drifting that a few dozens have evoqued, here on the head-fi. I am well aware that not everybody have this issue, but I've read enough to be anxious about having my own Mobius 3D drifting once it'll get to me (hopefully, soon). I do not understand how an issue like that made it past the testing phases. Like, it's really problematic and ruin the long-awaited experience for those who are concerned by it. The Indiegogo campaign had it's deadlines delayed (that's to be expected with every crowdfunding campaign) by at least a month, for various reasons: certifications, missing battery labels on shipments.. and surely a few others reasons that I don't remember or I'm not awared of. My point is: With the delay they should take the benefit of it and do some extended testing, I'm pretty sure they did all they could on the test units they had. But maybe the testing batch was too small and no testing units were concerned by the audio drifting.

The next time that they will develop a product with that much tech packed in, I hope really hope that they will test an considerable amount of units so every common problem could be resolved before releasing it. Of course you cannot prevent everything but this problem is brought too much on head-fi to be considered as "niche".
I'm confident Audeze did not release those while knowing that 1/50 of the Mobius' could be 3D drifting.

Someone a few post before mentioned that his Mobius sent more juice to the right side than to it's left side, I feel like this is the kind of niche problem that you cannot avoid and is bound to happened to 1-10 units in a 5000 batch.

I cannot imagine the amount of stress and pressure that Audeze must have, I'm sure that they are, and they are working as hard as they can to resolve every issue mentionned here. It's my first time ordering a Audeze product but they earned my respect when they recalled every unit not yet sent to hiss-fix them.
A lot of people in the company are surely experiencing something new by producting the Mobius in China.
I am very happy that every user is more than satisfied of the build of the Mobius and you guys should be proud of that.
We are all aware that you do not communicate clearly on these issues yet because you are looking for the very right fix for everyone, and do not want to pronounce yourself on subjects you did not master yet.

I am long awaiting my Mobius and I am so excited to know that I'll receive it in the days to come. I hope, well I guess that's normal, that mine will not be affected by the drifting issue. But even if it's the case, oh well crap, that could happen: we all count on you to fix it. Of course you guys couldn't hope for something any better than releasing a fix for every common problem evoked, and we'll hope you'll come to an end with the problems.

We all want to experience the greatness you planned, and developed.
Of course a few users may not like it anyway, but that's every minority that is to be expected when buying a seemingly great product that you can't try before buying.

Audeze, we are proud of you, keep dreaming, keep pushing boundaries, keep working hard, keep making great audio products avaible to now nearly all kind of users.
This experience will help you grow as company.

Max

:L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #782 of 5,780
Mobius supports only SBC, AAC and LDAC. There is no APTX. If you are on an iPhone then you are using AAC. If you using older android version, it is most probably SBC.

Oops my bad. Then I'm surprised how good SBC sounds.

But I have to echo what many others have said. For the headphones to remember your settings and to be able have 3D without head tracking. But other than that I'm thoroughly enjoying these headphones with music.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #783 of 5,780
Is the microphone issue due to the fix Audeze applied on the headphones ?
I suppose the Discord Certification was tested and applied to the pre-hiss fixe unites.
So far nearly everyone have problems with their mics, we heard about the issue specifically on discord (discord wouldn't certify a garbage mic like that) but outside of discord , nearly all of Mobius' users have problems too.

:L3000:

This is incorrect. We have spoken to many people and found out that there are different issues. Not everyone has a microphone issue.
Discord certified the same units we are shipping to customers now. (Aug end shipments).
We are still investigating the issue. We spoke to several people on and off the forum. We are still trying to figure out if this issue is limited to some users.
Both Audeze and Discord (the company) tested the mics and have not found any issue in the units we tested.
In speaking with some of the customers
1. A few people called us about mic not working, but had connected the mic to the 3.5 mm port (and not the microphone port).
2. Some people had the mute switch on.
3. A few people had software settings enabled that caused some of the issues (like cutting in/out). This was either because very high sensitivity for voice trigger was enabled or automatic gain control was enabled.
4. With some other we getting more information and trying to locate the issue.

So we have started writing a best practices note on how to use it with various apps. We will add more to this list.
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...e-your-microphone-for-use-with-VoIP-utilities

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 18, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #784 of 5,780
Are you sure you have setup the Mobius correctly ? Are you using it on a mac or windows ? When setup correctly you can easily hear sound both in front and back. We have movie composers to sound engineers using Mobius specifically for multi-channel audio. Infact prior to releasing Mobius we had a lengthy pilot testing for 7.1 audio deliverable with a major studio in Los Angeles. Please give us a call and we can help you make sure the setup is correct.

Thanks but although I haven't read the whole thread, I have seen other posts making the same point about the lack of any sound to the rear of the listener (meaning apparent sound, obviously). While waiting for the Mobius to arrive, I experimented with the WavesNX plugin which anyone can download from the WavesNX website and try for themselves, using conventional headphones, and I found the same thing. It's not the fault of the headphones - I just don't think WavesNX is capable of producing a credible rendering of multichannel audio - all it really sets out to do is to re-create the experience of listening to stereo loudspeakers in a listening room by imitating the room echoes and reverberations, thus creating the impression of space which is missing when using headphones.

Another possibility is that the surround effect is user-dependent, either physically or requiring an element of suggestibility. If so, all I can say is that unfortunately it doesn't work for me, not at all.

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #785 of 5,780
This is incorrect. We have spoken to many people and found out that there are different issues. Not everyone has a microphone issue.
Discord certified the same units we are shipping to customers now. (Aug end shipments).
We are still investigating the issue. We spoke to several people on and off the forum. We are still trying to figure out if this issue is limited to some users.
Both Audeze and Discord (the company) tested the mics and have not found any issue in the units we tested.
In speaking with some of the customers
1. A few people called us about mic not working, but had connected the mic to the 3.5 mm port (and not the microphone port).
2. Some people had the mute switch on.
3. A few people had software settings enabled that caused some of the issues (like cutting in/out). This was either because very high sensitivity for voice trigger was enabled or automatic gain control was enabled.
4. With some other we getting more information and trying to locate the issue.

So we have started writing a best practices note on how to use it with various apps. We will add more to this list.
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...e-your-microphone-for-use-with-VoIP-utilities

Okay!

Sep 18, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #786 of 5,780
Thanks but although I haven't read the whole thread, I have seen other posts making the same point about the lack of any sound to the rear of the listener (meaning apparent sound, obviously). While waiting for the Mobius to arrive, I experimented with the WavesNX plugin which anyone can download from the WavesNX website and try for themselves, using conventional headphones, and I found the same thing. It's not the fault of the headphones - I just don't think WavesNX is capable of producing a credible rendering of multichannel audio - all it really sets out to do is to re-create the experience of listening to stereo loudspeakers in a listening room by imitating the room echoes and reverberations, thus creating the impression of space which is missing when using headphones.

Another possibility is that the surround effect is user-dependent, either physically or requiring an element of suggestibility. If so, all I can say is that unfortunately it doesn't work for me, not at all.
Our intention (and Waves, who we have worked very closely with) is to create immersive surround experience. It is possible that it is user dependent. We have audio professionals using this every day for checking their surround mixes. Are you using Mac or windows for testing ?

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 18, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #788 of 5,780
I'm trying to find a way to watch my digital copies from Blu-ray combo packs with surround on my windows 10 pc and haven't had any luck with YouTube, Amazon prime, or Movies Anywhere.

Is there something I'm missing? Netflix works great, but that seems to be the only thing that works on my PC.

Sep 18, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #789 of 5,780
Just an FYI: if you're sitting stationary in front of a TV or monitor you must use 3d manual. I keep seeing all these posts about the headset needing re-centering often and want to make sure they have the correct setting enabled. My headset stays very well locked to center.

Disagree, manual provides too stiff of an area there is very little 'drift' and if you make even slight movements to your head, it does not recenter quick enough. Then most noticeable issue is other peoples voices in discord sound more to the right or left due to the manual setting. For me with my first 6 hour gaming session I had to switch to auto but not so much because the game sounds but the constant panning of discord voices was to the point of unacceptable. Even then I had to recenter several times through the session, so much I'm thinking I need a hotkey to do the recenter as taking my hands off the keyboard at gameplay moments is unacceptable.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #790 of 5,780
Disagree, manual provides too stiff of an area there is very little 'drift' and if you make even slight movements to your head, it does not recenter quick enough. Then most noticeable issue is other peoples voices in discord sound more to the right or left due to the manual setting. For me with my first 6 hour gaming session I had to switch to auto but not so much because the game sounds but the constant panning of discord voices was to the point of unacceptable. Even then I had to recenter several times through the session, so much I'm thinking I need a hotkey to do the recenter as taking my hands off the keyboard at gameplay moments is unacceptable.

Oh. Ok. Whatever works for you I guess. The intended use for stationary positions is 3d manual. That locks the center into whatever you're looking at when you press the button. 3d auto re-centers to wherever you stop your head for a second or two.

Maybe your headset is defective because the 3d positioning and center point is pretty much seamless in my unit.

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #791 of 5,780
Oh. Ok. Whatever works for you I guess. The intended use for stationary positions is 3d manual. That locks the center into whatever you're looking at when you press the button. 3d auto re-centers to wherever you stop your head for a second or two.

Maybe your headset is defective because the 3d positioning and center point is pretty much seamless in my unit.

To demand people get their head PERFECTLY aligned with invisible virtual speakers when using multi monitors or even a curved monitor might be a bit much to expect for the end user and why the manual mode has a little drift correction. I can see where manual might work in cases you're locked into a couch or recliner, but not a swivel desk chair and if you move or shift your position even slightly (we are talking 5-20 degrees of head movement only), then the manual setting is off again for around 5-50 seconds as I watch the HRTF BlueFace SLOWLY realign to where my head is then when I shift back to original position it goes through the slow turning process again, however if I get too 'off' say I look to my left, for a minute then look further to my left again after it's readjusted do this for another minute THEN I look back at my center monitor now due to the drift correction I'm now TOTALLY out of alignment where only a button center press will fix as the adjustments made by my head and by the software combined are now out of position so much it will not re-correct itself. Some cases it affects GAME as much as it does the DISCORD because of how voices sound when correctly centered with 3d. I do not think my headset is defective; I do think there are some bugs and needed tweaks with the head tracking as others have noticed as well but I also think it's a difference in usage between us.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #792 of 5,780
I haven't really noticed any of the issues people are having here.

My mic seems to be functioning normally from what I can tell. It's a little quiet when not at 100% (I also have the input at 100% in discord). I tested the mic yesterday with a friend and he said that I sound good, better then usual. I was previously just using a USB mic that sits on my desktop. I should also note that I use "click to talk" and don't have it "on" all the time, have to much going on around me while gaming.

The 3D headtracking works well for me with manual setting while at the desktop playing games. I haven't noticed any drifting or any issues with the direction of the sound from discord. I tested the auto setting while walking around and it seemed to work fine as well. I definitely get a full sense of the surround and can clearly hear sound behind me.

Hopefully people with some the issues being described can get them resolved. I'll report back if anything comes up for me.

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #793 of 5,780
speaker-placement-7.1-dolby.jpg

Surround left and right speakers in 5.1 are generally directly to the left and right of the listener.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #794 of 5,780
As far as the 3d sound goes I do find that there isn't really a drift but a realignment (yes it is in manual, I only use at my pc in usb). I have 3 monitors. My middle one is my monitor for gaming. The right monitor is more my google chrome, youtube and other media. the the left monitor is where all my game launchers reside and my discord. Unless I am actually playing a game I am mosty likely looking at my right monitor. The mobius always aligns itself to where I am looking. Even if it is in manual. I can center it 100 times to the middle monitor but if start looking at my right monitor it will eventually align itself over there. The same can be said if I am paying more attention to steam on my left monitor. As well as the front monitor. Regardless I always find that its trying to realign itself to whatever it is that I am looking at for an extended period of time.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #795 of 5,780
You always get some drift with gyros need at least a camera measuring several points or better several cameras if you don´t want to have to recenter from time to time.

I tried it first using usb and it was a big disappointment. Particularly in 7.1 mode it just didn´t make any sense no matter what eq setting. Running windows 10 not sure if I should set speakers to 7.1 somewhere or it´s enough just enabling the "audeze 8 channel". Head tracking is cool and does makes sense when running 2D and not VR though tbh I am generally just looking straight on anyway. But that does work as expected. It´s not worth the huge drop in sound quality that you get when running it in usb mode if you have a decent system.

Not the best first impression. Running analogue though my goldpoint headphone pro I was immediately impressed. Really impressed. Bass really controlled and down in level and midrange/treble is back in play. Hard to demand anymore from a really sealed headphone. Soundstage is better then my LCD-2. Not wider but don´t have the 3 blob effect it don´t distract by going wrong. It is still not close to the performance of a well driven LCD-2 of course.

I don´t miss any of the surround modes and I have nothing I want to eq in analogue mode. There is some "high res" mode. What is that supposed to do? Hard to pick any difference on a quick listen. I think Audeze should release a cheaper version with just proper stereo and higher quality analogue cables and bluetooth but hopefully I am missing something or running the wrong material but it just seem to have the same issues as other 7.1 headphones I tried.

Regarding bluetooth haven´t tested much but it also disables a lot of the processing it seems and do sound good. Bose QC 3.5 for sale pretty soon I believe think I may be able to live with less isolation.

As for hiss I do have quite a bit running analogue in particular though when audio is played it disappears so it´s not really an issue for me.

Microphone was working fine but after 40 minutes they said it was clipping and couldn´t hear me at all. Fippled a little with it and it came back. Wonder if something can short circuit or something? Was running analogue at that point and using teamspeak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back