Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 18, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #752 of 5,780
Found another speedlink mic in my drawer of spares lol which actually worked.
The speedlink mic is much better.https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GQwXbWxERVMGJNy9q96ZCLtfbMvSdg8y

Quality is much better and I could hear the myself through the headset, I think in the manual it mentioned that is normal (I forgot the technical name). I could have put on a small windsock and moved it closer to my mouth to reduce some of the plosives whilst making it louder, but forgot to test.

Compare the above to the earlier recording with the Mobius mic and draw your own conlusions
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10sn2brZlc9-jZDN-wCc7YxdB-LC8JhMB

Yeah, that's definitely better. Very good news, although we shouldn't have to buy a separate mic when we've already paid for the Audeze one (which would now seem to be the cause of the problem, rather than the internals of the Mobius itself). Waveform below (with spectrogram off this time)…

Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 12.56.18.png

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #754 of 5,780
Just an FYI: if you're sitting stationary in front of a TV or monitor you must use 3d manual. I keep seeing all these posts about the headset needing re-centering often and want to make sure they have the correct setting enabled. My headset stays very well locked to center.

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #756 of 5,780
So far from the mic recordings it sounds like the volume is very low and it also jumps a little bit up/down like excessive compression going on and there's TONS of bass also that shouldn't be there. V-Moda Boom Pro sounds very natural in comparison but doesn't do a great job at cutting off ambient noise (omni directional) but yea the sound is very natural tho. Example below:

Does anyone happen to own a V-Moda mic and can you tell if the cable makes it sound worse, it seems a common complain as there's an in-line volume controller there too which typically does slightly affect sound quality.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #757 of 5,780
Thank you for the response. I'm really glad to hear it's being looked into and looking forward to receiving my pair.

As an aside, if anyone out there has a mic that works perfectly please mention it, because all I have seen are reports of mic issues.

I only just received my Mobius yesterday, but I did some testing with a friend over Discord and didn't notice any issues at all. My friend actually said that I sounded really clear.

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #758 of 5,780
Just tried the Mobius with my V-Moda BoomPro mic and it seems to work perfectly without any funny noises, feedback, buzzing, or popping for whatever that's worth. I dunno how it would sound using discord, but there you go.

Did you plug the V-Moda straight into the Mobius, or is it plugged into your PC. I thought I saw another post where a mod-mic plugged into the Mobius had issues too.

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #759 of 5,780
All modes, left ear seems to be left out. Even the females voice is much louder in right ear. Made sure it wasn't my actual ear too :p
Try reversing the headphones, I mean putting it on your head with left cup on your right ear.
If the problem is reversed too your Mobius is defective.

I have measured a channel inbalance ( 3D off, USB in) on mine with the left cup is 1.5 dB louder with "Default, Music, Flat" preset and 3.5 dB with the others.

So there is a production inaccuracy and a software bug.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #760 of 5,780
My Mobius headphones arrived yesterday and I'm very disappointed. I bought these purely for listening to multichannel music hoping they would provide a surround sound experience on headphones but they don't do this and I would strongly advise anyone buying them specifically for this purpose to try before they buy.

The problem is simple: they do not provide any sensation of sound coming from behind the listener and therefore they're incapable of providing a surround sound or multichannel experience. What they successfully do is overcome the problem with normal headphones, which is that the centre of the sound stage is in the centre of your head. The Mobius headphones take the sound out of your head and throw it in front of you - although, bizarrely, I find they also lift the sound upwards so that it's in front of you and above your head rather than just in front of you. But whatever it does, all of the sound is still very much in front of you. All it does with the rear channels is place them to the sides of the existing front channels - so the rear left is simply to the left of the front left and the rear right is simply to the right of the front right. There is no surround sound, and multichannel music played back on these headphones sounds weird because the positioning of the "virtual" loudspeakers is very different from the speaker positioning envisaged by the engineer who did the mix.

I ordered these headphones blind many months ago when I didn't understand properly what they were. Audeze's website now clearly states that these headphones are "designed specifically for gamers" and does not claim that they offer surround sound so I don't think they are making any false claims for the Mobius - it's my fault for misunderstanding what they were. I hope others are enjoying them and best of luck to Audeze with this product, even though it's not for me.

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #761 of 5,780
Try reversing the headphones, I mean putting it on your head with left cup on your right ear.

I have measured a channel inbalance ( 3D off, USB in) on mine with the left cup is 1.5 dB louder with "Default, Music, Flat" preset and 3.5 dB with the others.

Oh, man… :frowning2:

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #762 of 5,780

Trust me, first thing I tried :p

Sep 18, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #763 of 5,780
Did you plug the V-Moda straight into the Mobius, or is it plugged into your PC. I thought I saw another post where a mod-mic plugged into the Mobius had issues too.

I used it plugged straight into my Mobius and then into my laptop.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #764 of 5,780
My Mobius headphones arrived yesterday and I'm very disappointed. I bought these purely for listening to multichannel music hoping they would provide a surround sound experience on headphones but they don't do this and I would strongly advise anyone buying them specifically for this purpose to try before they buy.

The problem is simple: they do not provide any sensation of sound coming from behind the listener and therefore they're incapable of providing a surround sound or multichannel experience. What they successfully do is overcome the problem with normal headphones, which is that the centre of the sound stage is in the centre of your head. The Mobius headphones take the sound out of your head and throw it in front of you - although, bizarrely, I find they also lift the sound upwards so that it's in front of you and above your head rather than just in front of you. But whatever it does, all of the sound is still very much in front of you. All it does with the rear channels is place them to the sides of the existing front channels - so the rear left is simply to the left of the front left and the rear right is simply to the right of the front right. There is no surround sound, and multichannel music played back on these headphones sounds weird because the positioning of the "virtual" loudspeakers is very different from the speaker positioning envisaged by the engineer who did the mix.

I ordered these headphones blind many months ago when I didn't understand properly what they were. Audeze's website now clearly states that these headphones are "designed specifically for gamers" and does not claim that they offer surround sound so I don't think they are making any false claims for the Mobius - it's my fault for misunderstanding what they were. I hope others are enjoying them and best of luck to Audeze with this product, even though it's not for me.
It helps to train your listening by turning around back-and-forth with 3D Manual on and eyes closed, so you're ears get used to what happens.

Sep 18, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #765 of 5,780

Hi, I have mine on order and they are already in my country, according to the tracking system; but I fear that it will happen just the same to me as to you!. At least in my case, it is not the headphones, but apparently my head shape. In my case, I have not had any single 3D headphone experiences working well: Dolby headphone, binaural recordings, etc., all sound to me as you describe: back channels sound as extreme right and left; the sound of the other channels describe an arc in front and above my forehead. I hoped that entering my head size and measures in the Windows software, I could fix that . but let's see when it arrives. At least one of my children could use it for gaming!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back