Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #78 of 5,780
I have absolutely no clue how to open those files, some searching got me to this though https://googlechrome.github.io/omnitone/src/omnitone-demo-player.html?id=fuerzaimprevista

Listening/playing around with this, keeping my head still with 3D on and manually moving the camera keeps the 3D effect without making things weird... Or you could move your head and keep the camera still. Only with a VR headset would you want 3d/Head tracking to be turned off

not exactly. Regardless, this brings up an interesting issue, I probably wouldnt be bothered to use these headphones in VR until @Audeze allows users to turn independent headtracking off. I only fully appreciate these with the virtual 7.1... and that would be impossible if Mobius was compensating head movement on top of the VR device

Ambisonics is a format that is used for 360 videos and VR applications. Ambisonics audio can be converted to stereo (with/without binaural transformation), 5.1 or 7.1 or even 16 channel audio for playback. The playback application (eg - Youtube 360 player) will convert the ambisonics audio to one of the deliverable formats.

Here is a good example of Ambisonics audio in Youtube 360 recorded by Yao Wang from Berkeley.

When you pan around the video, you can easily see the direction of audio changing. If you view this using a VR headset like Rift, you can see the audio changing as you turn your head. In a browser, you can simply rotate the video. With Mobius you should turn off the 3D for this test, since the youtube application is converting the Ambisonics audio into binaural with HRTF.

Mobius can be used to help create Ambisonics audio. With the B360 plugins from Waves, you can convert pretty much any audio (Mono or stereo or 5.1) to Ambisonnics and use the Mobius with head-tracking to check how it sounds. This is mostly for ambisonics content creators.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 1, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #79 of 5,780
Well, I dont want to hype up this headphone too much. But I listened to music on it via LDAC BT all night (way later than I should) until I got a battery warning voice on the headphone and was sad. I guess that was about the time for me to go to bed anyway. :)

I am really enjoying this headphone. It's way more than I expected for a "gamer headphone." It's definitely Audeze planar sound in a tech-saavy package at a great price. I have yet to try any real 3D gaming or movies yet. Wonder if any of the football games are in surround today. :)

Sep 1, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #80 of 5,780
I just got mine about a half hour ago and I am very impressed so far. I fired up some Netflix in 5.1 and it sounds amazing. The head tracking is really neat, time will tell if I continue to use it, but so far it is very well done. Music sounds really good and the bass impact is nice (this is my first planar - definitely makes me want an LCD-2C).

On top of all that, it is a freakin bluetooth headphone with mic, this is going to be my work headphone for sure. I can be tether-less and answer my work phone and play music at the same time with a click of a button while I am making some coffee.. Holy crap I am excited.

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #81 of 5,780
Got mine this morning, and have been experimenting for awhile. Here are my super early impressions (take with a big ol' pile of salt).

The comfort is not bad. The ear pads are big enough to wrap around my ears entirely, and are deep enough that my ears don't touch the driver baffle. They do touch the inside of the pad slightly, but that's not a problem at all. The weight is what you would expect from a normal dynamic driver headphone, and much lighter than I expected considering it's a planar magnetic. Clamp is also pretty good. It's not too clampy, but it is clampy enough to prevent the headphones from falling off when looking up or down. The headband isn't as good, however. It's kind of like the Viso HP50 headband in that it's pretty flat/squared off at the top (where it should be round in order for the pad to maximize head contact and minimize hot spots). There is a hot spot at the top of my head, but because the mobius is so light, it's not much of a problem. It does make my head a bit itchy, but so far hasn't caused any major discomfort on the top of my head. To Audeze, check out the HD800 or the Meze 99 Classics when designing the Mobius 2, both are phenomenal examples of how to design a comfortable headband.

Hiss on my unit is extraordinarily minor. If no sound is playing, I can hear a really faint hiss on the left side. However, it's so minor that I won't be noticing it during normal use. This is on USB, I haven't tested bluetooth yet.

When you first put them on, all modes default to 100% volume, which is loud as crap and scared the crap out of me. Don't think I'll be having volume problems.

These little bastards are detail monsters. Really impressive detail retrieval (mostly in the bass and mids, the upper treble can kinda turn into a one note tizz, I think because the upper treble is elevated, more on that later).

As a downside of all that detail, it definitely comes off as a more clinical headphone than I would expect from Audeze. I wouldn't call these lush, and I'm not sure I would say these have the "Audeze sound" per se. They're not little LCD's, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. And I wouldn't call them clinical headphones in general, just more clinical than the LCD-series.

Are they a replacement for an LCD headphone? No. The 2C's I have (and the other LCD's I've owned and listened to) have a more lush and rich sound that these lack. And the LCD line is most definitely better than Mobius. But again, I wouldn't say that means Mobius doesn't sound great in its own right.

I played some FarCry 5 on these for awhile to test the surround sound. At first, it felt kind of strange, objects don't really have a 3D space like true binaural, but more of a general direction they're coming from. However, after using them for awhile, I got used to it and really enjoyed the experience. When using 3D and surround sound, small sonic details really jump out at you, and it's a pretty different experience. The rear sound is also pretty good, better than I've heard from other surround sound virtualizations. I think people are really going to enjoy these when gaming.

Now here's the killer, and the reason I'm not sure if I'll be keeping them or not. The upper treble is sharp, like headache-inducingly sharp sometimes. If I listen to electronic that isn't super well produced, it really comes out and gets uncomfortable, and that goes for games too. Glass breaking, the sounds of my own guns, and other brighter sounds get pretty uncomfortable after awhile. Cymbals are also too forward, and because of the upper treble lean, they end up just blending together in a tizzy mess. This is why I think it's important that we have some kind of cypher-like custom EQ that saves itself to the headphone. Even if it was just part of the windows app. I just want to be able to tone down that upper treble permanently. Small annoyances like this can mean the difference between loving a headphone and selling it, and an EQ system is a good solution to those problems.

Bass digs deep, but seems to be shy of neutral.

Overall tonal lean is bright of neutral (my neutral is the harman target response). It has less bass and more upper treble compared to neutral, no matter the setting, since it seems the settings just affect the midrange.

I'll be testing bluetooth next, both with my phone (iPhone so no LDAC) and with my Apple TV, which should test distance pretty well. Will report back.

EDIT: After listening to music on my phone through bluetooth, I noticed the headphones sounded somewhat bassier, warmer, and had less upper treble than on my computer. Something might be up with my computer, will investigate.

Edit 2: After more listening, they do seem too treble forward in all modes for me. I do still notice a slight treble elevation using the PC compared to Bluetooth, not sure why. Comparing high res pc to 3D off Bluetooth. Despite that, even in its least treble forward settings, it’s definitely too bright and causes fatigue/discomfort for me. EQing the treble down helps a whole lot.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #82 of 5,780
I just got mine about a half hour ago and I am very impressed so far. I fired up some Netflix in 5.1 and it sounds amazing. The head tracking is really neat, time will tell if I continue to use it, but so far it is very well done. Music sounds really good and the bass impact is nice (this is my first planar - definitely makes me want an LCD-2C).

On top of all that, it is a freakin bluetooth headphone with mic, this is going to be my work headphone for sure. I can be tether-less and answer my work phone and play music at the same time with a click of a button while I am making some coffee.. Holy **** I am excited.

I can't wait to be doing 3D Virtual Teleconferences at work. :)

As a downside of all that detail, it definitely comes off as a more clinical headphone than I would expect from Audeze. I wouldn't call these lush, and I'm not sure I would say these have the "Audeze sound" per se. They're not little LCD's, but that doesn't mean they aren't good.

Are they a replacement for an LCD headphone? No. The 2C's I have (and the other LCD's I've owned and listened to) have a more lush and rich sound that these lack. And the LCD line is most definitely better than Mobius. But again, I wouldn't say that means Mobius doesn't sound great in its own right.

Overall tonal lean is bright of neutral (my neutral is the harman target response). It has less bass and more upper treble compared to neutral, no matter the setting, since it seems the settings just affect the midrange.

I'll be testing bluetooth next, both with my phone (iPhone so no LDAC) and with my Apple TV, which should test distance pretty well. Will report back.

I think they are closer to the Audeze Sine signature than the LCD signature as I originally wrote in my impressions. I love the Sine, so this is that signature but deeper. The "Music" preset sounds closer to the LCD series to me than the Default one.

I also prefer the old harman curve with linear bass response. Newer versions have slightly more elevated bass, and even worse for IEMs.

Oh yea, also agree on the headband padding. Could be a lot better. I like either having a comfort strap or something more padded. That's why I posted the photo last night of the headphone sweater vest.

Sep 1, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #83 of 5,780
I think they are closer to the Audeze Sine signature than the LCD signature as I originally wrote in my impressions. I love the Sine, so this is that signature but deeper. The "Music" preset sounds closer to the LCD series to me than the Default one.

I also prefer the old harman curve with linear bass response. Newer versions have slightly more elevated bass, and even worse for IEMs.

Oh yea, also agree on the headband padding. Could be a lot better. I like either having a comfort strap or something more padded. That's why I posted the photo last night of the headphone sweater vest.

I do think the bass isn't as shy as it sounds. I think the upper treble is making them sound brighter than they really are.

At some point I'm going reduce the upper treble using Equalizer APO to see how it changes things. I wouldn't call that a solution, however, since I got these headphones to be portable and office headphones, where I can't really use Equalizer APO.

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #84 of 5,780
Got mine this morning, and have been experimenting for awhile. Here are my super early impressions (take with a big ol' pile of salt).

The comfort is not bad. The ear pads are big enough to wrap around my ears entirely, and are deep enough that my ears don't touch the driver baffle. They do touch the inside of the pad slightly, but that's not a problem at all. The weight is what you would expect from a normal dynamic driver headphone, and much lighter than I expected considering it's a planar magnetic. Clamp is also pretty good. It's not too clampy, but it is clampy enough to prevent the headphones from falling off when looking up or down. The headband isn't as good, however. It's kind of like the Viso HP50 headband in that it's pretty flat/squared off at the top (where it should be round in order for the pad to maximize head contact and minimize hot spots). There is a hot spot at the top of my head, but because the mobius is so light, it's not much of a problem. It does make my head a bit itchy, but so far hasn't caused any major discomfort on the top of my head. To Audeze, check out the HD800 or the Meze 99 Classics when designing the Mobius 2, both are phenomenal examples of how to design a comfortable headband.

Hiss on my unit is extraordinarily minor. If no sound is playing, I can hear a really faint hiss on the left side. However, it's so minor that I won't be noticing it during normal use. This is on USB, I haven't tested bluetooth yet.

When you first put them on, all modes default to 100% volume, which is loud as **** and scared the crap out of me. Don't think I'll be having volume problems.

These little bastards are detail monsters. Really impressive detail retrieval (mostly in the bass and mids, the upper treble can kinda turn into a one note tizz, I think because the upper treble is elevated, more on that later).

As a downside of all that detail, it definitely comes off as a more clinical headphone than I would expect from Audeze. I wouldn't call these lush, and I'm not sure I would say these have the "Audeze sound" per se. They're not little LCD's, but that doesn't mean they aren't good. And I wouldn't call them clinical headphones in general, just more clinical than the LCD-series.

I played some FarCry 5 on these for awhile to test the surround sound. At first, it felt kind of strange, objects don't really have a 3D space like true binaural, but more of a general direction they're coming from. However, after using them for awhile, I got used to it and really enjoyed the experience. When using 3D and surround sound, small sonic details really jump out at you, and it's a pretty different experience. The rear sound is also pretty good, better than I've heard from other surround sound virtualizations. I think people are really going to enjoy these when gaming.

Now here's the killer, and the reason I'm not sure if I'll be keeping them or not. The upper treble is sharp, like headache-inducingly sharp sometimes. If I listen to electronic that isn't super well produced, it really comes out and gets uncomfortable, and that goes for games too. Glass breaking, the sounds of my own guns, and other brighter sounds get pretty uncomfortable after awhile. Cymbals are also too forward, and because of the upper treble lean, they end up just blending together in a tizzy mess. This is why I think it's important that we have some kind of cypher-like custom EQ that saves itself to the headphone. Even if it was just part of the windows app. I just want to be able to tone down that upper treble permanently. Small annoyances like this can mean the difference between loving a headphone and selling it, and an EQ system is a good solution to those problems.

EDIT: After listening to music on my phone through bluetooth, I noticed the headphones sounded bassier, warmer, and had less upper treble than on my computer. This changes things, and they sound much better now. Something might be up with my computer, will investigate.
We’re going to have a lot of these reviews because people are doing them before they know how to use the headphones. The reason they sound so different in Bluetooth is that it’s set to 2 channel mode whereas you were listening to them in 7.1 on your pc which is why you found them so treble forward. Try high-res mode with 3D off in either default or music preset and see how that compares.

There’s so many settings to these it’s pretty confusing initially which is why I think whoever wants to do early impressions it would be great if they write what mode and equalizer setting they listened because they do sound different.

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #85 of 5,780
We’re going to have a lot of these reviews because people are doing them before they know how to use the headphones. The reason they sound so different in Bluetooth is that it’s set to 2 channel mode whereas you were listening to them in 7.1 on your pc which is why you found them so treble forward. Try high-res mode with 3D off in either default or music preset and see how that compares.

There’s so many settings to these it’s pretty confusing initially which is why I think whoever wants to do early impressions it would be great if they write what mode and equalizer setting they listened because they do sound different.
I listened to them in high res with the music setting on my PC too (was the first mode I listened to). You’re right that 3D is more treble forward, but even high res is still treble forward. Bluetooth without 3D does seem a bit less treble forward compared to high res for some reason (slightly, nowhere near the difference between 3D on and 3D off).

After listening more, I came to the conclusion that no matter the mode, it’s still too treble forward. I’m EQing the upper treble down and it sounds a whole lot better now and isn’t fatiguing/headache inducing anymore.

I mostly use the music setting, but haven’t decided which I like the most yet.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #86 of 5,780
I listened to them in high res with the music setting on my PC too (was the first mode I listened to). You’re right that 3D is more treble forward, but even high res is still treble forward. Bluetooth without 3D does seem a bit less treble forward compared to high res for some reason (slightly, nowhere near the difference between 3D on and 3D off).

After listening more, I came to the conclusion that no matter the mode, it’s still too treble forward. I’m EQing the upper treble down and it sounds a whole lot better now and isn’t fatiguing/headache inducing anymore.

I mostly use the music setting, but haven’t decided which I like the most yet.

Mobius - 3D vs 2Ch.jpg

PLEASE TAKE THESE WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. A VERY LARGE ONE THIS TIME.
The 3D mode had so much scatter, it was crazy. This was smoothed out way more than I normally smooth out the graph and it's still very jittery.

Sep 1, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #87 of 5,780
Updated my Freq Response compensation curves on the first page with better linear bass compensation than the default MiniDSP settings (+3dB in bass region) @KMann

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #88 of 5,780
Ambisonics is a format that is used for 360 videos and VR applications. Ambisonics audio can be converted to stereo (with/without binaural transformation), 5.1 or 7.1 or even 16 channel audio for playback. The playback application (eg - Youtube 360 player) will convert the ambisonics audio to one of the deliverable formats.

Here is a good example of Ambisonics audio in Youtube 360 recorded by Yao Wang from Berkeley.

When you pan around the video, you can easily see the direction of audio changing. If you view this using a VR headset like Rift, you can see the audio changing as you turn your head. In a browser, you can simply rotate the video. With Mobius you should turn off the 3D for this test, since the youtube application is converting the Ambisonics audio into binaural with HRTF.

Mobius can be used to help create Ambisonics audio. With the B360 plugins from Waves, you can convert pretty much any audio (Mono or stereo or 5.1) to Ambisonnics and use the Mobius with head-tracking to check how it sounds. This is mostly for ambisonics content creators.

@KMann, with regards to how the Mobius handles headtracking, would it be possible to send the raw headtracking data back to the PC to be interpreted as a device input?

Think of the Mobius providing similar functionality to a device like the 'TrackIR'.

The the 3D sound processing could be handled by the PC or video game, but the bigger benefit is allowing for visual headtracking on-screen too, which I would imagine would pair the music positioning to the visual position even more accurately, being handled by the same program.
To add functionality like being able to look about the cockpit of your spaceship or helicopter when landing.

I feel this may be possible, as the Windows application has a real-time visual representation of how the Mobius is orientated, so perhaps that data feed can be repurposed?

Thank KMann!

This is certainly possible. The Waves Nx and B360 plugins work this way to decode and playback Ambisonics content.

So by putting this all together, would I be correct in saying that:
Inorder to have a 3D tracked binaural experience with the Mobius while playing an ambisonic recording, we would need to send the headtracking data from the Mobius back the PC to be used in the decoding of the ambisonic file into a realtime headtracked binaural output, which is sent back to the Mobius.
Essentially taking away the need to pan around manually.

Would something like this work?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #89 of 5,780
So by putting this all together, would I be correct in saying that:
Inorder to have a 3D tracked binaural experience with the Mobius while playing an ambisonic recording, we would need to send the headtracking data from the Mobius back the PC to be used in the decoding of the ambisonic file into a realtime headtracked binaural output, which is sent back to the Mobius.
Essentially taking away the need to pan around manually.

Would something like this work?
Yes. The Mobius already sends back the head-tracking to the PC or the host using USB. You can check this using the Audeze HQ application. A host application can use this information to decode ambisonics (any order) and send the processed audio back to Mobius. Technically the host applications can use this information for any purpose. For example a flight simulator application can use the head-tracking information to allow panning of the screen etc. As we have mentioned eslewhere, Mobius is a platform and it opens up a whole lot of possibilities.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 1, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #90 of 5,780

When you first put them on, all modes default to 100% volume, which is loud as **** and scared the crap out of me. Don't think I'll be having volume problems.

EDIT: After listening to music on my phone through bluetooth, I noticed the headphones sounded somewhat bassier, warmer, and had less upper treble than on my computer. Something might be up with my computer, will investigate.

Edit 2: After more listening, they do seem too treble forward in all modes for me. I do still notice a slight treble elevation using the PC compared to Bluetooth, not sure why. Comparing high res pc to 3D off Bluetooth. Despite that, even in its least treble forward settings, it’s definitely too bright and causes fatigue/discomfort for me. EQing the treble down helps a whole lot.

If you want a slight bass boost, set the internal EQ to "music".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back