Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #3,136 of 5,780
I am not sure what the goal is here. Aux input for Mobius is meant for line-level input not for an output from an amp. Putting out large voltages could potentialy damage the Mobius and so we have already voltage limited the Aux input. So even if the DAC/amp you have is capable of putting out a larger output, aux input will still limit it. Also the conversion from Digital to analog by the DAC you have chosen chained with the Analog ->digital-> Analog conversion within Mobius will only degrade the SQ further. My advice is to use the USB output of Note, set to max volume and adjust Mobius volume to where it is safe for you to listen.
tpu
Not being an engineer here, I suspect that the Mobius can be tolerant of slightly higher output... I tested originally both the Note 9 and Alienware 15 R3 laptop using a 3.5mm to 3.5 mm cable and was able to get higher volume output from the Alienware 15 R3. I presume that the M and D cable can be used with my pair of MW-40's. But not compatible with the Mobius? That I wouldn't know... I know that if the output is too high that I can turn down the volume.

My theory is that my Note 9 is volume limited through its 3.5mm output and less so through the USB-C output. The Mobius should be able to handle it because using the 3.5mm cable I was able to get higher volumes using my laptop than through my smartphone. So I think the 3.5mm output is too weak from my Note 9 because my Alienware 15 laptop was able to output a stronger sound through its 3.5mm jack.

My reasoning is that using a USB to 3.5mm cable will help out with the problematic volume output from my Note 9's 3.5mm jack.

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #3,138 of 5,780
or bluetooth, i probably listen at 75% volume over bluetooth from my note 9 and thats loud with a big treble cut even on quieter albums i dont get up to max

Mar 26, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #3,139 of 5,780
So why not just use the USB cable?

I would use the USB-C to USB-C cable that Audeze provides but it is too stiff and super long for everyday use. Also does the smartphone battery gets used because it looks like it drains faster. I am 51% at 1:36 PM MST... I just worry that my Note 9 is charging my Mobius without my noticing.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #3,141 of 5,780
Does it still drain faster if you tell the Mobius to stop charging by holding the volume button down for 3 seconds?

I am going to be testing that part this afternoon while I am headed out to a physics lecture. :) WIll report back tonight when I get home.

Mar 26, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #3,142 of 5,780
Geez, using the USB-C to USB-C cord directly to my Galaxy Note 9 boosted the maximum volume possible without having to use an external headphone amp and it is way too impressive. I turned off the 3D and went with Default settings and it definitely provides a clear-cut and reference quality sound. Beatles, Oscar Peterson, and even underground hip-hop sounds like pure steak and gravy now.

This is the reason why iPhone doesn't work unless you can find a USB-C to Lightning adapter and I'm glad that Audeze provided the USB-C to USB-C cord. Now it's time to test this on my Surface Go which has USB-C.

And the damn Beatles is making my skin crawl after this solution now... this scares me that I can blow out the Master and Dynamic headset which is on the shelf now.
iPhone USB + Mobius does work.
You need to use one of the two variants of the Apple Camera Connection Kit "Apple CCK", either with or without extra lighning power supply option.
There you can connect the supplied "USB-B to USB-C" cable, I do use this almost exclusively with my Mobius.

Some combinations can become unstable, this is due to the Mobius supply current draw is at the edge of what the tiny 5W Apple iPhone power adapters can deliver.
Using the bigger 11W Apple PSU solves this.
Or you can tell Mobius to stop charging by holding the volume button down for 3 seconds.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #3,143 of 5,780
We are taking this and similar feedback into consideration as we work on next version of firmware. We have had the opportunity to measure a lot of production samples and have revised our model of the average response. We will not introduce a new preset (because of memory constraints) but if you had to choose one preset to make it 'soft' near 3kHz, what would it be?
Would removing the least used preset and replacing it with a user adjustable preset be a possibility?

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #3,144 of 5,780
@KMann , please don't adjust the music preset. As this is my preferred preset.
I'd rather loose one of the game presets for this "soft" adjustment.
"Soft music" could be a good supplement to the default and music presets.

Mar 27, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #3,145 of 5,780
I just installed the new firmware. The warm preset is a winner to me. Thanks for bringing it to the Mobius.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #3,149 of 5,780
iPhone USB + Mobius does work.
You need to use one of the two variants of the Apple Camera Connection Kit "Apple CCK", either with or without extra lighning power supply option.
There you can connect the supplied "USB-B to USB-C" cable, I do use this almost exclusively with my Mobius.

Some combinations can become unstable, this is due to the Mobius supply current draw is at the edge of what the tiny 5W Apple iPhone power adapters can deliver.
Using the bigger 11W Apple PSU solves this.
Or you can tell Mobius to stop charging by holding the volume button down for 3 seconds.

I feel that it is a pain in the butt that every time I turn on my Mobius that I have to turn off charging and 3D when i plug this into my phone everyday. Can't wait for my LCD-2 phones to arrive soon.

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #3,150 of 5,780
I am going to be testing that part this afternoon while I am headed out to a physics lecture. :) WIll report back tonight when I get home.

Turning off the Mobius seems to help now. But frustrating to have to remember that I have to do this manually every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back