Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Dec 27, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #2,566 of 5,780
The included cable for me is pretty bad too, it seems to give me disconnects within a few minutes of use. I had a brand new unused USB C cable that is better, but still disconnects every 10-15 minutes.

I had the same problem at the beginning and bought many different cables but then I realized it had nothing to do with the cable. There was a loss of connection in the USB C plug. @KaiSc recommended to me a certain contact spray to be gently used with cotton ear rods. The first application did the trick but while in the first hours the connection was still a bit unstable it then finally all was good and since then no problem.

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #2,567 of 5,780
I had the same problem at the beginning and bought many different cables but then I realized it had nothing to do with the cable. There was a loss of connection in the USB C plug. @KaiSc recommended to me a certain contact spray to be gently used with cotton ear rods. The first application did the trick but while in the first hours the connection was still a bit unstable it then finally all was good and since then no problem.
Here's what I suggested, please read carefully and don't overdo anything to avoid damage!

Problem:
Intermittent sound on USB, USB disconnects when moving Mobius USB cable.
USB doesn't connect with iPhone CCK.

Reason:
A.: Bad or insufficient contact making in the USB connector located on Mobius OR the source.
B.: Assumption: Charge current is on the edge of maximum for some devices, leading to problems in combination with (A.).
Can be tested by switching off charging on Mobius (long hold on volume button).

@KMann , AUDEZE team: I suggest investigating this point and try reducing the charge current by 10% in case.

Possible solutions:

iPhone/CCK problem needs using the bigger Apple 12W PSU in some configurations.

Improving contact quality:
Preparation: SWITCH OFF MOBIUS.

1. Get yourself a high quality contact cleaner (not WD40 or Kontakt 60) like Teslanol T6:
https://smile.amazon.de/TESLANOL-Ko...UTF8&qid=1540725500&sr=8-11&keywords=Teslanol
Apply very little, using a wooden toothpick, to the contacts of Mobius USB C connector and to the contacts on both connectors of the USB cable.
Don't spray on it!!!

If contact cleaner doesn't help execute the following test:
Cut a fitting peace from a THIN blister packaging and stick it in one side of Mobius USB C connector before inserting the plug.
That should improve clamping force and reduce " rattle".
If this helps, go one with:

2. Very slightly bend the 2 tiny clamps inside Mobius USB C connector (on the pad side) to the inside using one or two ( from both sides) sewing needles.
This improves clamping force. Don't overdo it else they will be bent back as soon as you plug the connector.

3. If this doesn't help either try bending the exterior USB C housing using fine blades to enhance clamping force.
Avoid leaving traces on the plastic parts.
You can use an old style razor blade, break it into fitting pieces and stick two pieces between plastic and metal.
Don't cut your fingers, use pliers for this.
Then use a normal fine knifeblade between those to very carefully enhance the pressure on the USB C exterior housing until it bends VERY slightly.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #2,568 of 5,780

What is the name of the contact spray?

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #2,569 of 5,780
Here's what I suggested, please read carefully and don't overdo anything to avoid damage!

Problem:
Intermittent sound on USB, USB disconnects when moving Mobius USB cable.
USB doesn't connect with iPhone CCK.

Reason:
A.: Bad or insufficient contact making in the USB connector located on Mobius OR the source.
B.: Assumption: Charge current is on the edge of maximum for some devices, leading to problems in combination with (A.).
Can be tested by switching off charging on Mobius (long hold on volume button).

@KMann , AUDEZE team: I suggest investigating this point and try reducing the charge current by 10% in case.

Possible solutions:

iPhone/CCK problem needs using the bigger Apple 12W PSU in some configurations.

Improving contact quality:
Preparation: SWITCH OFF MOBIUS.

1. Get yourself a high quality contact cleaner (not WD40 or Kontakt 60) like Teslanol T6:
https://smile.amazon.de/TESLANOL-Ko...UTF8&qid=1540725500&sr=8-11&keywords=Teslanol
Apply very little, using a wooden toothpick, to the contacts of Mobius USB C connector and to the contacts on both connectors of the USB cable.
Don't spray on it!!!

If contact cleaner doesn't help execute the following test:
Cut a fitting peace from a THIN blister packaging and stick it in one side of Mobius USB C connector before inserting the plug.
That should improve clamping force and reduce " rattle".
If this helps, go one with:

2. Very slightly bend the 2 tiny clamps inside Mobius USB C connector (on the pad side) to the inside using one or two ( from both sides) sewing needles.
This improves clamping force. Don't overdo it else they will be bent back as soon as you plug the connector.

3. If this doesn't help either try bending the exterior USB C housing using fine blades to enhance clamping force.
Avoid leaving traces on the plastic parts.
You can use an old style razor blade, break it into fitting pieces and stick two pieces between plastic and metal.
Don't cut your fingers, use pliers for this.
Then use a normal fine knifeblade between those to very carefully enhance the pressure on the USB C exterior housing until it bends VERY slightly.

Thank you!

Dec 28, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #2,570 of 5,780
Look up the Metal571 channel and watch his Audeze interview. They said they designed the music EQ to be used for music in 3D mode. I used to listen to them in default for everything as well but I’m really enjoying the music preset with the 3D on, probably depends what type of music you’re listening to but for more modern hip-hop, dubstep, or other bass heavy music I find it very engaging.
Yes for that type of music probably music eq is best! But for heavy music like heavy metal, I think (?) Flat is the best fit, you want less bass and more highs for metal maybe..

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #2,571 of 5,780
The Mobius has the weirdest interactions with the Cayin N3. Best way is bluetooth, for sure, even though I'm not sure which gain/volume setting is best for BT. Plugging in a USB-C wired connection between the two devices deactivates the volume control and only sends out a really loud signal.

Dec 28, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #2,572 of 5,780
My biggest beef with the Mobius is it doesn’t remember your settings once you turn it back on.
Otherwise, this is one awesome headset! Sounds great, very comfortable. A bit big for travel, but still worth it for longer sessions, like those flights.
This will be fixed in a forthcoming firmware. When we designed the Mobius we thought most people will use it in 7.1 almost all the time with default settings. Outside the audiophile industry this still holds true and we see most people using it with the default settings. So we have added this tot he next firmware update, so the settings are remembered after power on/off

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 28, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #2,573 of 5,780
This will be fixed in a forthcoming firmware. When we designed the Mobius we thought most people will use it in 7.1 almost all the time with default settings. Outside the audiophile industry this still holds true and we see most people using it with the default settings. So we have added this tot he next firmware update, so the settings are remembered after power on/off

Thanks for the reply! I know this first edition of the Mobius was sold as a gamer headphone, but if you guys are interested in diversifying the Mobius "platform", I think you could give the luxury bluetooth headphone market a good disruption. I showed the Mobius to my family over the holidays and, as non-gamers, they were impressed by just music playback. Jussayin'... :D

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #2,574 of 5,780
Try with Aux and see if there Is some noise floor

As long as you keep the headset volume at a normal level you shouldn’t have an issue. (Max out the volume on the source device then control the volume independently on the headset.)

Actually works well with the 3.5mm-Lightning adapter. I’ve read it has more of a midbass bias via aux but other than that the sound is mostly unchanged.

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #2,575 of 5,780
The 3D effect seems noticeably more convincing with a lossless source. Assuming the mid-bass hump isn’t intended via the AUX (due to to the DAC) but surprisingly enjoying it with 3D on:

upload_2018-12-28_23-36-52.jpeg

(Measurements courtesy of @antdroid)

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #2,576 of 5,780
As long as you keep the headset volume at a normal level you shouldn’t have an issue. (Max out the volume on the source device then control the volume independently on the headset.)

Actually works well with the 3.5mm-Lightning adapter. I’ve read it has more of a midbass bias via aux but other than that the sound is mostly unchanged.
Ok, I noticed that if I max the volume of the source (high gain and max volume) than i turn down the volume on the headset, the buzzy noise floire get lower, but someone can confirm that this is suggested and Will not damage the headphones?

Dec 29, 2018 at 1:02 AM Post #2,577 of 5,780
The 3D effect seems noticeably more convincing with a lossless source. Assuming the mid-bass hump isn’t intended via the AUX (due to to the DAC) but surprisingly enjoying it with 3D on:

(Measurements courtesy of @antdroid)

The more data for the virtual processing the better. I've got some 24/192 5.1 violin concertos and the like that sound pretty amazing through the Mobius and espacially OOYH.

Dec 29, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #2,578 of 5,780
Ok, I noticed that if I max the volume of the source (high gain and max volume) than i turn down the volume on the headset, the buzzy noise floire get lower, but someone can confirm that this is suggested and Will not damage the headphones?

This is the intended way to use the AUX input. Max the source volume and use the volume on the headset to control. As long as you’re not within the last ten clicks on the volume (and there seem to be around 100 volume levels) then the noise floor isn’t noticeable.

Dec 29, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #2,579 of 5,780
The more data for the virtual processing the better. I've got some 24/192 5.1 violin concertos and the like that sound pretty amazing through the Mobius and espacially OOYH.

Lossy files simply don’t have the data to create such an expansive soundstage and usually even tiny movements distort the song, especially on modern songs with complex layering. Lossless files retain practically all of the imaging data, which may be one of its main advantages, and thus creates the most convincing 3D effect possible from 2.1 files.

Dec 29, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #2,580 of 5,780
Quick question - has anyone used the Mobius on a plane and can report passive noise cancellation/effectiveness in that scenario?
About to fly out tomorrow and wondering if it's worth having the Mobius in carry on (to listen from phone or laptop) compared to using IEMs all the time.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back