Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Nov 29, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #2,357 of 5,780
the Mobius is much more than a gaming headset.

having a Bluetooth planar can has been a really nice experience. The convenience of a wireless connection has been great, and the overall quality in sound is better than any I've heard from other Bluetooth connections.

the Mobius has been one of the best choices I've made

And even high-res (no 3D) has been good to me.

Couldn't agree more!

Nov 29, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #2,358 of 5,780
Started down the path of headphone upgrades for my gaming setup (ATH-M50 right now with SBZ PC card) and initially I was looking at the MMX300.2. But I was unable to really find anything that really talked about how much better it was than a DT 770 Pro with Modmic attached. That searching lead me to this thread where I've been looking up the Mobius, and so far it seems very impressive.

The idea that these can be bluetooth as well is a pretty great selling point. The one thing that makes me nervous is the rtings review was pretty harsh and in particular the soundstage was listed really low. That is the main reason I'm looking to upgrade from my current set (better sound stage). How do these compare to the Beyerdynamic models?

EDIT: Also curious how this plays with SBX? Do you just leave the SB virtualization off for gaming? Right now I have my PS4 Pro outputing sound via optical to the SB-Z card which then sends sound to my headphones. Will this still work with the headphones plugged in via USB?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #2,359 of 5,780
The idea that these can be bluetooth as well is a pretty great selling point. The one thing that makes me nervous is the rtings review was pretty harsh and in particular the soundstage was listed really low. That is the main reason I'm looking to upgrade from my current set (better sound stage). How do these compare to the Beyerdynamic models?

The Rtings soundstage measurements were done with 3D off (as was most of their testing of Mobius) because their test systems are not equipped to test innovative headphones like the Mobius (duh!). They actually have disclaimers, about it in their test methodology pages and some in the text, but it is not very visible and most casual visitors will not notice it.
We have been talking to them on their test methodologies and measurements to see how we can interpret them.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 30, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #2,360 of 5,780
Started down the path of headphone upgrades for my gaming setup (ATH-M50 right now with SBZ PC card) and initially I was looking at the MMX300.2. But I was unable to really find anything that really talked about how much better it was than a DT 770 Pro with Modmic attached. That searching lead me to this thread where I've been looking up the Mobius, and so far it seems very impressive.

EDIT: Also curious how this plays with SBX? Do you just leave the SB virtualization off for gaming? Right now I have my PS4 Pro outputing sound via optical to the SB-Z card which then sends sound to my headphones. Will this still work with the headphones plugged in via USB?
If you are after soundstage nothing I know beats the Mobius in 3D.
Not the Sennheiser HD 800, not even the STAX SR Sigma or the AKG K1000.
This is first hand information, I have them all (and many more).

According to SB virtualization:
I don't have experience with this emulation, but dummy head recording's, although it kind of doubles the HRTF, get much more realistic with Mobius 3-D + headtracking on.
Headtracking is essential for realistic out of head localization of sound sources.

With Mobius, at least you have the options to try what sounds best to you.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #2,361 of 5,780
So I just heard about these headphones, and I've been looking to upgrade my current cans (Astro A40s, without the mixamp). I have an Asus Xonar Phoebus soundcard in my PC, which includes a headphone "control pod" (just volume and muting the mic) that I have my headphones plugged into. The Phoebus only has 3.5mm connectors out, but my PC has front-side USB 3.0 connectors and a back USB-C. If I get a pair of Mobius (Mobii?), should I connect them via front-side USB (so the cable is closer to where I sit, about 3ft away), the back USB-C, or 3.5mm to the headphones control box? It sounds like these headphones have a built-in sound card, so would that render the Phoebus superfluous?

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #2,362 of 5,780
So I just heard about these headphones, and I've been looking to upgrade my current cans (Astro A40s, without the mixamp). I have an Asus Xonar Phoebus soundcard in my PC, which includes a headphone "control pod" (just volume and muting the mic) that I have my headphones plugged into. The Phoebus only has 3.5mm connectors out, but my PC has front-side USB 3.0 connectors and a back USB-C. If I get a pair of Mobius (Mobii?), should I connect them via front-side USB (so the cable is closer to where I sit, about 3ft away), the back USB-C, or 3.5mm to the headphones control box? It sounds like these headphones have a built-in sound card, so would that render the Phoebus superfluous?

You’d want to connect them to either of the USBs since that’s the only way to get the Mobius surround sound and 3D head tracking. If you get them make sure and read through the manual and and settings options in order to use them properly. I think most complaints happen because people couldn’t figure out how to use them and didn’t put in the time to learn.

There is a mic mute switch on the headphones and a volume scroll wheel as well so you really won’t be missing anything from your sound card.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #2,363 of 5,780
You’d want to connect them to either of the USBs since that’s the only way to get the Mobius surround sound and 3D head tracking. If you get them make sure and read through the manual and and settings options in order to use them properly. I think most complaints happen because people couldn’t figure out how to use them and didn’t put in the time to learn.

There is a mic mute switch on the headphones and a volume scroll wheel as well so you really won’t be missing anything from your sound card.

Thanks! Is there a difference between plugging them into USB 3.0 vs USB-C? I would assume not since there isn't THAT much data going through. In your opinion, are the surround sound and 3D tracking worth it? My sound card has a whole bunch of virtual surround and room-scaling features, but I feel like they just make the audio sound more "artificial". If I connect via 3.5mm, is the sound quality the same as USB?

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #2,364 of 5,780
Headtracking is essential for realistic out of head localization of sound sources.

Headtracking does improve realism and localization, but I wouldn't say its essential. Both of my desktop systems sound more realistic and don't use headtracking, my 2nd system has a much bigger virtual room size and my main system has a significantly larger room size, in neither case is it due to added reverb(well...) but due to the measurements of actual rooms with Out of Your Head and due to hardware that's more capable of rendering all the detail from the virtualization.

If you are after soundstage nothing I know beats the Mobius in 3D.
Not the Sennheiser HD 800, not even the STAX SR Sigma or the AKG K1000.
This is first hand

Sure out of the box, the Mobius in 3d has an out of head image, but run the hd800 through similar processing...

The soundstage and imaging of the Mobius are good, and probably better than alot of closed dynamics and gaming headphones, but compared to most open back headphones they do sound very close, and I found the imaging to be greatly improved with a pad change, which improved soundstage as well.

I don't have experience with this emulation, but dummy head recording's, although it kind of doubles the HRTF, get much more realistic with Mobius 3-D + headtracking on.

I've been advising people of avoiding using multiple virtualizers but maybe I should try it ;]

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #2,365 of 5,780
In your opinion, are the surround sound and 3D tracking worth it? My sound card has a whole bunch of virtual surround and room-scaling features, but I feel like they just make the audio sound more "artificial".

Yes the Mobius' virtual surround capability is worth it and much more natural sounding then alot of built in effects that just add cross feed and reverb.

Nov 30, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #2,367 of 5,780
In my opinion no. I really like the headphones but at the price it is so hard to recommend then. If you can get them used around 250 to 300 then yea. At 400 it is hard to say yes.
Thanks for the info. I already have a pair of Sony wh-1000xm3 that I used for my commute, so I'm looking (but not very hard) for a pair of high-quality headphones that I will also use for gaming (I don't need them oriented for gaming, but I do want a boom mic).

Nov 30, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #2,368 of 5,780

I use a DT 880 + Modmic pro when I want an open back setup. Modmic will be a better microphone than Mobius (based on friends feedback). Mobius will have a LOT more bass and better localization. Beyerdynamic are brighter by default.

Mobius has Bluetooth, but for any gaming you'd want to be wired. So the BT is really only an advantage for music. I took the Mobius on an international trip and they did fine, but are pretty large to be lugging around. I'll stick to iSines going forward for travel.

Regarding SBX, you'd just feed is USB and let it do the virtualization.

Nov 30, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #2,369 of 5,780
Thanks! Is there a difference between plugging them into USB 3.0 vs USB-C? I would assume not since there isn't THAT much data going through. In your opinion, are the surround sound and 3D tracking worth it? My sound card has a whole bunch of virtual surround and room-scaling features, but I feel like they just make the audio sound more "artificial". If I connect via 3.5mm, is the sound quality the same as USB?
USB3 vs USBC won't make a difference for the reason you correctly assumed. Sound quality via USB will be superior to 3.5mm because the headphones only do the digital to analog conversion with USB as opposed analog to digital then digital to analog via 3.5mm. There is also the hiss/higher noise floor that comes with 3.5mm with many people's units, including mine. But how much you actually notice or care depends on you.

Dec 1, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #2,370 of 5,780
I have an Android handset that runs Oreo but doesn't support LDAC as previously discussed. I can however connect Mobius via USB-C so am wondering what quality I'm getting this way. Is Android USB-C as good, or better than LDAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back