Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Nov 21, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #2,326 of 5,780
Audeze’s Black Friday sale is live but I’m not sure how many planar magnetic headphones one man needs. Some great deals!
What? How come no promotional emails?

I am also asking the same question, how many pairs of ears do I got?

Hope that they would move to electrostatics too. And miniturized the so called eneegizer to the size of mobius, that would be really lovely.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #2,328 of 5,780
Tommy Tedesco, the most recorded guitarist in history, said after the record was done they ALWAYS listened to it on an AM car radio and in later years car stereos. If it sounded good in the car, they had a hit.

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #2,329 of 5,780
I agree that EQ can be a disaster. Easily flipped off of course. My ‘big rig’ is a set of HD800 headphones with a blah blah amp and DAC to drive them. Every time I try to use EQ with them to raise the bass or midrange, whatever. It just sounds terrible. Doesn’t matter. MacBook, Surface Book, The App itself. Terrible. Fortunately the HD800 do not need any EQ. So with the Audeze Mobius, they take EQ quite well. The Mobius does not need much. You can raise the bass without screwing with the rest of the frequency’s. Very Nice!

I have the Warm Setting on my Mobius. Get into your music app’s EQ and lose a bunch of treble and add some bass and you might have it. I don’t find the Warm setting a big bass slammer. When I first tried Warm, everything sounded muffled. I thought Here is another preset I will never use. Until I raised the volume. I like my music loud but not nuts. So when I turned things up Wow! everything fell into place. Nothing missing. Everything even but with lots of bass, but not overpowering. Enya, Gaga, LED Zeppelin, Robyn. Great! So, I’m not a professional EQ guy but it seems Warm is a hell of a good impression of myLCD-2F’s. Gee and you can EQ from there too.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #2,330 of 5,780
Nov 21, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #2,331 of 5,780
I agree that EQ can be a disaster. Easily flipped off of course. My ‘big rig’ is a set of HD800 headphones with a blah blah amp and DAC to drive them. Every time I try to use EQ with them to raise the bass or midrange, whatever. It just sounds terrible. Doesn’t matter. MacBook, Surface Book, The App itself. Terrible. Fortunately the HD800 do not need any EQ. So with the Audeze Mobius, they take EQ quite well. The Mobius does not need much. You can raise the bass without screwing with the rest of the frequency’s. Very Nice!

I have the Warm Setting on my Mobius. Get into your music app’s EQ and lose a bunch of treble and add some bass and you might have it. I don’t find the Warm setting a big bass slammer. When I first tried Warm, everything sounded muffled. I thought Here is another preset I will never use. Until I raised the volume. I like my music loud but not nuts. So when I turned things up Wow! everything fell into place. Nothing missing. Everything even but with lots of bass, but not overpowering. Enya, Gaga, LED Zeppelin, Robyn. Great! So, I’m not a professional EQ guy but it seems Warm is a hell of a good impression of myLCD-2F’s. Gee and you can EQ from there too.

This......

I literally hated warm when I first tried it. Nothing sounded right and it was like music was being played from behind multiple foam screens. Thank oh so much for posting this because I turned the volume up on warm and now I can’t put these down.

Warm is now officially my favorite setting on these

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #2,332 of 5,780
Tommy Tedesco, the most recorded guitarist in history, said after the record was done they ALWAYS listened to it on an AM car radio and in later years car stereos. If it sounded good in the car, they had a hit.
A few days ago I learned that the reason some recording studios have a pair of small speakers next to a pair of large ones, as I've seen many times in pictures and was perplexed by, is that the small ones are used for listening to what the recording would sound like on a more typical system as opposed to the large monitor speakers which are used for actual mixing and mastering.

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #2,333 of 5,780
This......

I literally hated warm when I first tried it. Nothing sounded right and it was like music was being played from behind multiple foam screens. Thank oh so much for posting this because I turned the volume up on warm and now I can’t put these down.

Warm is now officially my favorite setting on these

The warm setting still sounds muffled to me on certain tracks - it sounds good for gaming though.

The default setting is much better with music. You can EQ the bass up yourself and in my opinion the result is much better then warm. No muffled high's or mids.

I really hope that Audeze gives some official pad updates though for the Mobius. I was using my He400i tonight (haven't used in a while) and the different in comfort is night and day with the Mobius. The pads are so much nicer feeling on the He400i.

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #2,335 of 5,780
I guess I'm just a stickler for default when listening to things with 3D off, and Music preset for 3D when gaming.

Nov 22, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #2,336 of 5,780
I guess I'm just a stickler for default when listening to things with 3D off, and Music preset for 3D when gaming.
You're not alone on using the music preset for gaming. I use RPG occasionally, but mostly the music preset. It just seems more fun to me.

Nov 22, 2018 at 6:36 AM Post #2,337 of 5,780
You might have heard it but you clearly didn’t understand it. Much of today’s music is mastered to sound as intended on devices most used by the consumer - car stereos and beats headphones. And those are heavily bass boosted. That’s why you’d want to be able to increase the bass for certain genres - Hip Hop, EDM.

This isn’t some wild guess this is what is done nowadays as the vast majority aren’t listening on good headphones/speakers and they need to get an impactful sound out to them. So unfortunately it’s very much catered and eq’d to the most common use and that isn’t audiophile use.
I don't listen to "today's music" luckily so they are not touched by idiots like that.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #2,338 of 5,780
Can anyone recommend a DAP for my mobius that supports both USB C audio and LDAC? I was looking at the Fiio M7 but i guess that doesn't support USB C and now I'm looking at the Shanling M0, but I really don't like how small it is.

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #2,339 of 5,780
I have a question for everyone. So, I have switched off using my mobius because of a bit of an annoyance I have encountered specifically regarding making recordings though geforce experience while playing. And it has to do with recording audio from the microphone. The issue is that since the mobius gets switched off and has to be unplugged (since it drains the battery if left plugged in... I think, been a while since I encountered that and have been unplugging since). But since the audio device disappears, geforce experience switches the default recording device back to something else every time and doesnt seem to have a "default device" option. Its rather frustrating because its not easy to remember to switch it back every time. Anyone using this successfully without this annoyance?

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #2,340 of 5,780
You're not alone on using the music preset for gaming. I use RPG occasionally, but mostly the music preset. It just seems more fun to me.

Ballistics sounds great as well for FPS games. I like that Default is basically neutral but most games do call for a bit more oomph.

Sounds really good with the PS4 Slim via USB by the way! When I first started using it I thought the sound was coming from my home theater speakers. I don’t really play competitive games but it works really well with Fortnite. 2.1 with 3D for gaming is totally adequate. Also sounded good with the movie trailers I watched. Maybe next console generation we’ll get 5.1 USB output. For now a 10’ USB-C cable with a PS4 and 2-channel mode is surprisingly effective.

(Side note: I wonder if device profiles are possible if Mobius can recognize which device it’s connected to and automatically switch to preferred settings. Within the next year or two we should be using USB-C with our gaming consoles, phones, tablets, laptops, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back