Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #1,756 of 5,780
Here are a couple more suggested features:

*Being able to adjust the audio balance left/right channels, and for 5.1/7.1 content, the audio fade front/rear channels. I've found the rear speakers are top quiet for FPS , and when looking around I can actually loose detail when things are happening behind me.
*User custom EQ presets
*Ability to turn off unwanted presets
*Ability to rebind button layout on device
*User made profiles for different use-cases, selectable by cycling through on device: Bluetooth Hi-Res music EQ profiles, USB 3D gaming ballistics EQ profiles all preset at the switch of a button.

Plenty gaming headsets have user customised profiles, so that could be a valuable feature for people really setting the Mobius up for their own experiences

You can adjust volumes on windows.

Go to sound settings, select mobius. In second tab there should be an adjustment setting /volume level .
It should have a volume line with a button on the right side. Click the button and you will see t he volumes of each speaker.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #1,757 of 5,780
I don't understand Rtings and the clamping complaints. I ALWAYS complain about clamping problems, but the Mobius is perfectly fine there. I have a big head. Everything is typically tight on my head. The Mobius is not. It's good a good amount.

Eh, the clamp of headphones is always pretty subjective - I've never had a clamp issue with any headphone, they always stretch out a bit.

Overall the rtings review for the Mobius is actually quite good. Most of their headphone reviews look pretty ho hum looking at the numbers, the Mobius is actually pretty good in their category.

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #1,758 of 5,780
You could try just sliding on some velour pads and see if you like the sound, no diy or modding involved just pop the stock pads off and pull something like the brainwavz velour over the earcup.
The only other pair of pads I have available are a pair of discarded pads from my other phones from when I put new ones on those. I might try with them some time, but I don't think I'll spend as much as the brainwavz and similar cost just for testing out if they might work with the Mobius. For me, that doesn't make sense in combination with a $250 pair of headphones… don't know. I'd rather wait for a readily made solution that I know will work, even if it means waiting a little longer.

The diy little baffle I made is pretty simple, and drastically improved the sound of the brainwavz pads. You just need 1 or 2 cd cases(with a clear top) and a sheet of 1mm felt.

Place the clear cd case top over the earcup and trace out the cup. Then just cut it with some scissors and tape it back together with masking tape. You could probably use a glue stick to secure the felt to the plastic ring. For the second piece of felt its your call if you want to use it. The actual pads just slide over the cup and sit very securely.

I anything, I might model out and print myself an adapter, but my annoyance with the stock pads does not yet eclipse my laziness and my willingness to put up with the potential dorky look of a diy'd pair—I wear them at the office, and they're kinda unusual as they are already. :wink:

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #1,759 of 5,780
To anyone more well informed than me, is there anything directly preventing the Mobius from becoming compatible with Dolby Atmos?

With 7.1 surround sound in videogames, imagining is very clear on the same plane as the character, but its still quite evident that there are no real vertical cues, which make discerning sounds above and below less accurate, would love to find a way to get these running Atmos.

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #1,760 of 5,780
With Room ambiance turned off, the depth will be reduced close to what is typical of headphones but bit better as you will have an effect similar to cross-feed, head tracking will still anchor the sound.

Ya I take that back about studio monitors lol having only briefly tried setting room ambiance to 0 once, I tried it again and yes, very close.

That's because room ambience zero is stereo. Your more or less just turning 3D off.

Definately not stereo though :wink:

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #1,761 of 5,780
To anyone more well informed than me, is there anything directly preventing the Mobius from becoming compatible with Dolby Atmos?

With 7.1 surround sound in videogames, imagining is very clear on the same plane as the character, but its still quite evident that there are no real vertical cues, which make discerning sounds above and below less accurate, would love to find a way to get these running Atmos.

Only 2 games with atmos aren't there? Overwatch and star wars battlefront. If Overwatch just use Overwatchs atmos setting. You'll most likely never see the Mobius be able to accept an Atmos bitstream.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #1,763 of 5,780

I asked this question months ago, this is the answer I got . Audeze also said that developers have access to mobius information from head tracking to create software with 360 degree head-tracking, not really atmos though

On regards to Dolby Atmos @Audeze

I know it WONT be included at launch, but is it a theoretical possibility that the Mobius could be updated to support it? (with the added height dimension) .

Or would it be impossible from a hardware point of view?

Thanks
Audeze :
The problem is not rendering it in the headphone, but how to get the information to the renderer. Most Atmos implementations use a software renderer and send two channels to the headphone. In digital cinema, Atmos information is sent to the player/Projector using Aux data channels.

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #1,764 of 5,780
I asked this question months ago, this is the answer I got . Audeze also said that developers have access to mobius information from head tracking to create software with 360 degree head-tracking, not really atmos though

On regards to Dolby Atmos @Audeze

I know it WONT be included at launch, but is it a theoretical possibility that the Mobius could be updated to support it? (with the added height dimension) .

Or would it be impossible from a hardware point of view?

Thanks
Audeze :
The problem is not rendering it in the headphone, but how to get the information to the renderer. Most Atmos implementations use a software renderer and send two channels to the headphone. In digital cinema, Atmos information is sent to the player/Projector using Aux data channels.

That is promising information, because I had a bit of a theory about how that may work.

I imagine the Atmos data, being fed from the game, would go to a 'Mobius-Atmos' client, which also recieved the incoming headtracking information from the Mobius, the client then decodes the Atmos and headtracking data into 2 channel audio, which is then sent back to the Mobius as a Hi-Res data feed to then be played.
Essentially letting the PC do all the heavy processing, saving the need for standalone native Atmos compatibility, and freeing up the Mobius to then play the incoming Atmos audio at 96k 24bit.

Does this seem reasonable, or have I grossly simplified the process?

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,766 of 5,780
That is promising information, because I had a bit of a theory about how that may work.

I imagine the Atmos data, being fed from the game, would go to a 'Mobius-Atmos' client, which also recieved the incoming headtracking information from the Mobius, the client then decodes the Atmos and headtracking data into 2 channel audio, which is then sent back to the Mobius as a Hi-Res data feed to then be played.
Essentially letting the PC do all the heavy processing, saving the need for standalone native Atmos compatibility, and freeing up the Mobius to then play the incoming Atmos audio at 96k 24bit.

Does this seem reasonable, or have I grossly simplified the process?

Sounds right ;] The mobius already sends the headtracking information back to the pc, would just need a virtual audio device like you said, to decode, incorporate the headtracking, and render. They would also need to make it so head tracking can be used independently of Waves NX.

Oct 16, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #1,767 of 5,780
how the heck do I measure my head for this thing!

Only very recently an invention was made.
81YzRhDpYqL__SL1500_.jpg

but just around your head over your eyebrows(circumference), and from ear canal to ear canal behind your head(inter-aural).

For the firmware contact Audeze support.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,768 of 5,780
Which is impossible.

You can lower the amount of reverb with room ambience, but you can't eliminate it. If you do, you're not gonna get 3d mode. 3D = virtualizing a room. With that you NEED room reflections. There needs set amount of distance between a sound and you for you to get '3D'. This is why literally every single virtual surround dsp like:
Yes, I mean I don't want to hear the audible echo. The 0% setting is fine.

I still need 3D without headtracking because I don't like the sound in plain 2-channel while watching videos. It's perpendicular to my ears and sounds fatiguing like wearing IEMs.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #1,769 of 5,780
It can be done for applications that use the Spatial Sound API, if someone is willing to write the code. The application simply outputs individual sound effects to the Spatial Sound API (the base 7.1 channels may already be mixed but it doesn't matter). You would need to write an APO to transform these coordinates using the head-tracking information from USB, then pass it to the Dolby Atmos for Headphones encoder (or any 360 degree encoder really). The Mobius would be in plain 2-channel mode.

This could even be done for Dolby Atmos tracks in movies, but it would require the official decoder to extract the individual objects from the stream. It could then be played back with the Spatial Sound API and the rest of the chain would be the same as above.

Overwatch and Battlefied One are actually exceptions because they use embedded Atmos libraries. They output the headphone downmix / bitstream directly, bypassing the Spatial Sound API.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #1,770 of 5,780
Yes, I mean I don't want to hear the audible echo. The 0% setting is fine.

I still need 3D without headtracking because I don't like the sound in plain 2-channel while watching videos. It's perpendicular to my ears and sounds fatiguing like wearing IEMs.
I would try eqing treble down further and raise room ambiance to 25, you might find it much more enjoyable.

Screenshot_20181009-134231_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg

With the pad change and the eq I can turn room ambiance up to 80 for an enjoyable big room effect when I want it, surprisingly natural sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back