Audeze LCD2, Beyerdynamic Tesla T-1, or Sennheiser HD800...which should I choose?
Oct 8, 2010 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

daltonlanny

Headphoneus Supremus
This thread and poll is for those who own all 3 of the headphones listed above, or who has owned and/or extensively compared them to one another in the recent past.
I am about ready to purchase either the Audeze LCD2, Beyerdynamic Tesla T-1, or the Sennheiser HD800, but cannot decise for the life of me which one, so I am asking for your help.
I can only afford one of them, and theres no way for me to audition and compare them to one another, in my location.
My system will consist of  Marantz CD5001 and CD5003 cd players, HeadAmp GS-1 amp, and Audioquest Black Mamba and Signal Cable Silver Resolution interconnects.
I like all musical selections, but I am NOT into rap or heavy metal.
I usually prefer classic rock, r&b, pop, classic country, and acoustic live recordings such as Eric Clapton Unplugged, etc. I occasionally listen to classical and jazz, but not as much as the other selections I named above.
I am looking for a sound with the LEAST sonic compromises from the lowest lows to the highest highs, and a very balanced and detailed overall presentation. I love excellent vocal reproduction, and want a very natural and organic sound on especially voices,piano, violins, acoustic guitar, etc.
Which of the above 3 headphones would you most recommend for my system and musical tastes, if you could only afford one of them?
Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome and appreciated as well.
Thank you all so very much for your help!

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 69

Quote:
1-I am looking for a sound with the LEAST sonic compromises from the lowest lows to the highest highs, and a very balanced and detailed overall presentation.

2-I love excellent vocal reproduction, and want a very natural and organic sound on especially voices,piano, violins, acoustic guitar, etc.

FWIR:

With respect to number 1, the T1 sounds like the winner there.  If you want more detail orientation and focus on sound stage then the HD800.  If you want more attack w/ a fuller note then the T1.

With respect to number 2, the LCD2 wins hands down.  The T1 coming in 2nd followed by the HD800.

I have NOT heard all 3 so have not voted, simply surmizing impressions to save you a bit of tedium.  In the end none of them gives you the 'best' of everything and you will need to choose based on compromise.

Oct 8, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 69
I would advise against the T1, as the HeadAmp GS-1 is not the kind of amp to best drive it. Not that the T1 would really be "under-amped" but there are plenty of other amps that are designed to drive high-impedance inefficient headphones that would be more ideal than the GS-1. The HD800 and LCD-2 would be easier loads for the GS-1.

It doesn't really matter what you buy and the only opinion that really matters is your own, not anyone else's. I would recommend just buying one and not spending too much time on a decision. If you don't like one, you can re-sell it and get the other. It would probably make more sense to get the LCD-2 first as it's more in demand and you could re-sell at a lower loss than the HD800. Also, buying a headphone that a lot of Head-Fiers own and write about will be helpful as it will provide a comparison point for all the other headphones that are compared to it.

Also, since the HD800 is widely sold by a number of online retailers, you can easily buy it and return it if you wanted to do that.

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 69
Thanks for your votes so far,
and thanks for the great advice, Asr and Anaxilus!
I appreciate all of you.

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 69
IMHO all three are excellent cans.  However, the LCD2 and HD800 exhibit excellence in certain aspects, whilst the T1 does nothing wrong, but does not offer any excellence in any specific aspect.  In my opinion its a two horse race between the the LCD2 and the HD800, and my tonal preferences lean towards the LCD2, hence my vote.  The HD800 would come in at a very close 2nd with its ethereal and dreamy sound.  The T1 is a safe purchase...but I like to live life on the edge.  In my system anyway, that is how it worked out for me and hence the T1 is no longer with me and replaced by the K1000. 
smile_phones.gif

Oct 9, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #6 of 69
Thank you SP Wild.
Right now, I guess I am leaning more toward the LCD2 than the rest.
I am kind of worried about the treble peak that some people mention about the Sennheiser HD800, and the aggressiveness that some people have mentioned that the Beyerdynamic T-1's can sometimes exhibit in the treble.
I am sometimes very sensitive about any kind of treble peakiness issues.

Oct 9, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 69
In that case, its a two horse race between the T1 and LCD2 in your circumstance, because the T1 does not have any trace of an aggresive treble peak.  The last time I checked, the treble presence is about the same on a T1 and HD650 - with the T1 only barely detecteable as having a little more overall treble presence than the HD650 - I could only discern it after quicky swapping.  I clump LCD2, T1 and HD650 in the same non aggresive treble pack of cans.  The LCD2 is a warm can, the HD650 less warm and the T1 least warmest - the extra uppermidrange presence of the T1 is probably how some interpret the T1 as having too much treble, or they have been listening to graphs and not with their ears.

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 69

Quote:
In that case, its a two horse race between the T1 and LCD2 in your circumstance, because the T1 does not have any trace of an aggresive treble peak.  The last time I checked, the treble presence is about the same on a T1 and HD650 - with the T1 only barely detecteable as having a little more overall treble presence than the HD650 - I could only discern it after quicky swapping.  I clump LCD2, T1 and HD650 in the same non aggresive treble pack of cans.  The LCD2 is a warm can, the HD650 less warm and the T1 least warmest - the extra uppermidrange presence of the T1 is probably how some interpret the T1 as having too much treble, or they have been listening to graphs and not with their ears.

I cetainly hope the T1's have more treble presence than the HD650's else I won't  be happy when I get mine!

I have the LCD-2's which have more treble presence and quantity the my old HD650+SD v2 cable and the general opinion I get is the T1's have even more(slightly) treble presence than the LCD-2's.

Oct 9, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 69

Quote:
I cetainly hope the T1's have more treble presence than the HD650's else I won't  be happy when I get mine!

I have the LCD-2's which have more treble presence and quantity the my old HD650+SD v2 cable and the general opinion I get is the T1's have even more(slightly) treble presence than the LCD-2's.

The T1 has a more extended treble than the LCD2 making it have more air and soundstage. The T1 has a wide deep extended sound stage and there really is no fault I detect but the LCD2 does vocals and bass better IMO but I cant choose one over the other as I am glad I have both

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #11 of 69
heard and owned both  T1 and HD800  (never heard LCD2)
for me I love the T1 more than the HD800.It's more fun to listen (I don't care much about the soundstage or detail,I care much about the bass-quantity and overall performance) T1 have more bass and warmer than HD800, but still  neutral enough to say they are not  warm headphones. I think you yourself can easily judge which one you will go for,because the sound signatures of these Cans are so obvious. I think the HD800 are the better headphone than the T1 if you listen more to audiophile music.But if you just love to listen to pop,indy,rock,rnb,rap in general .I think you should choose T1.
(pop music today and from yesterday imagine arctic monkey,bloc party,suede,black eyed pea VS sheffiled Lab,Eagles Live,Orchestral etc.).It's really not enjoyable to hear Missy Elliott through HD800.
I used to think I would keep the HD800 for as long as I can because I know for some music HD800  is far better than the T1(close your eyes you will think you hear the home speaker) .Then I realize I don't listen to these music that offen.It's better to let the HD800 go.

HD800 and T1 are both great headphones.You won't be disappointed purchasing them.
 The choice is really up to your music preferences.

Oct 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 69
I compared all three of these at a meet in August.

I can easily say the LCD-2 is far better than either of them, IMHO. The LCD-2 has a very special type of sound sig that I've never heard before. To sum them up into one word, I would say... Visceral. Something about them reproduces everything in such a realistic manner that betters any high end headphone I've ever heard (excl. R10). The tonal accuracy and timbre will blow your mind. If you want to listen to headphones, get the HD800 or T1. If you want to listen to the performer right next to you, get the LCD-2.

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #14 of 69

Quote:
I compared all three of these at a meet in August.

I can easily say the LCD-2 is far better than either of them, IMHO. The LCD-2 has a very special type of sound sig that I've never heard before. To sum them up into one word, I would say... Visceral. Something about them reproduces everything in such a realistic manner that betters any high end headphone I've ever heard (excl. R10). The tonal accuracy and timbre will blow your mind. If you want to listen to headphones, get the HD800 or T1. If you want to listen to the performer right next to you, get the LCD-2.

BBM. Much less clear-cut for me. I've owned two of these and have listened extensively to the third -- it's a hard call. And I think of the three the LCD-2 is the most likely to shine under meet conditions, followed by the HD800s and then the less spectacular T1s.

I agree that the LCD-2 can be an exciting listen, but it failed to disappear for me in the way it clearly has for some, and I couldn't handle the comfort compromise. The HD800 does many things superbly, from imaging to speed through the mids to its articulate bass, but ultimately I failed to connect with the music in the way I had even with some lesser phones. The T1 is an excellent all-rounder and I find it highly musical across genres and artists, enough so that it's the one I turn to most often now.

Bottom line, I think, is that you'll find it more efficient in the long run to have at least two of these in house with your kit and decide based on a decent audition. Cheaper than buying and selling them all sequentially, or living with something you don't like.

o

Oct 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 69
I own all three and based on your amp, I'm with Asr....I would pass on the T1s as they really need a good tube amp to sound their best. So it's between the LCD-2 and HD800. Both are amazing headphones and have their strengths and weaknesses...but in the ends, I'd vote for the LCD-2s (by a nose...or ear).

If you had a tube amp, then I would recommend the T1s. Of all three, they have the least number of "issues" that I have with the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back