AUDEZE LCD XC
Jun 2, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #1,381 of 4,150
I think any amp can drive the XC and play it loud. But the music may be thin and lifeless. I just want to hear some impressions from those who have a have heard the XC from a very powerful amp, maybe a vintage receiver or something along those lines.

Violectric V200 or Schiit mjolnir...

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #1,384 of 4,150
Hey guys! I just received my XC's a couple weeks ago and made an account to ask a question here. I was just wondering what desktop amps/dacs you guys recommend to pair with these headphones? 

I am using the Oppo HA-1 and to me it sounds superb!

Edit: Best when using balanced.

Jun 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #1,385 of 4,150
Jun 2, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #1,386 of 4,150
V200 is warm and dark (tube sounding and amazing bass),Mjolnir more dynamic and clear...

Jun 3, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #1,387 of 4,150
IMO, Mjolnir drives the Audez'e LCD 3 and the XC very very well. I found the Lyr to be the better amp with the LCD 2.2. It is a little forward, like sitting in the front row of a concert. Both top and bottom extensions are very good. The mid range for both these cans is plain awesome. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #1,389 of 4,150
Thanks for the impressions with Mjo n V200. Today, i had the good fortune of trying the XC with a Chord Hugo playing mp3s off my Android phone via bluetooth connection. By golly it sounds good!

I heard the mid bass i was missing. The sound was clear, airy and transparent. Bass was pushed upfront and overall the music sounded fuller (rather than thin n flat as i heard it with Modi/Lyr). I now believe the Dac can make a noticeable difference. The headamp is pretty impressive for a portable and drives the XC well. Of course, i expect it to improve further with a dedicated amp. Take note this is just with lossy files over bluetooth. Now i need to decide if this is the upgrade that will bring my set up a clear notch higher. And plan a budget to include a separate amp as well..Lyr 2?

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,390 of 4,150
In regards to an amp, I use the Woo Wa7 or the headphone output from my Marantz 1602 which is being upgraded to a AV 7701 and 7055 combo.
They both sound good, different but good...neither for me is fatiguing, which is important.
I am going to try my little Micromega DAC instead of the DAC in the Woo.
I am getting a new Marantz BluRay, a 7707 that can also play CD and SACD, so their should be a very nice improvement over the Samsung I am now using.
Cable music channels sound flat compared to CD and horrid compared to SACD and records...I may try the Micromega between the Cable box and the new preamp.
Can any tell me if this would help?
Thanks
Art

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,391 of 4,150
Jun 3, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,392 of 4,150
Thanks for the impressions with Mjo n V200. Today, i had the good fortune of trying the XC with a Chord Hugo playing mp3s off my Android phone via bluetooth connection. By golly it sounds good!

I heard the mid bass i was missing. The sound was clear, airy and transparent. Bass was pushed upfront and overall the music sounded fuller (rather than thin n flat as i heard it with Modi/Lyr). I now believe the Dac can make a noticeable difference. The headamp is pretty impressive for a portable and drives the XC well. Of course, i expect it to improve further with a dedicated amp. Take note this is just with lossy files over bluetooth. Now i need to decide if this is the upgrade that will bring my set up a clear notch higher. And plan a budget to include a separate amp as well..Lyr 2?

If it was a Bluetooth connection with your android phone doesn't it bypass the chord Hugo ? The signal is being processed by the internal dac of the phone. Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back