AUDEZE LCD XC
May 26, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,351 of 4,127
I've searched through the topic and still not sure should i pick up XC's. I'm still really impressed with LCD-2 (rev. 2) but i really need to go closed-back. Although if it's not delivers that feeling of "being there" i'm not sure do i really want to spend all that cash on them. As my friend described LCD-2's (comparing them to HD600): they sounds like you're on the gig. And HD600 - listening of a recording of a gig. Well that's what's exactly i've been looking for when going for Audeze. 

When reading all that reviews i'm a bit confused (once they described as bright later as warmer cans) and worried that i'd not got that feeling with LCD-XC mostly because of low end. (i'm focusing on headphones at the moment, not the source although i know the importance of it).

May 26, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #1,352 of 4,127
  I've searched through the topic and still not sure should i pick up XC's. I'm still really impressed with LCD-2 (rev. 2) but i really need to go closed-back. Although if it's not delivers that feeling of "being there" i'm not sure do i really want to spend all that cash on them. As my friend described LCD-2's (comparing them to HD600): they sounds like you're on the gig. And HD600 - listening of a recording of a gig. Well that's what's exactly i've been looking for when going for Audeze. 

When reading all that reviews i'm a bit confused (once they described as bright later as warmer cans) and worried that i'd not got that feeling with LCD-XC mostly because of low end. (i'm focusing on headphones at the moment, not the source although i know the importance of it).

The best thing to do is demo the XCs yourself -- listening to music is too subjective. If you don't have a dealer close to you, you can have them mailed to you by an online retailer --- you just have to pay for to/from shipping, but that's a small price to pay to avoid being stuck with a pair of cans you don't like.   

May 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #1,353 of 4,127

I very much feel my XC brings me a couple giant steps closer to being there than my LCD-2 rev2. Bright vs warm has a lot to do with ones perspective relative to previous sound signatures. Once I became used to the signature of the XC the 2 felt flat in comparison (though still good).

Edit: I'll add that I really love how much easier it is to drive the XC over the 2s as well. Opens up more listening opportunities as well as being closed back. I also find that it has pinpoint localization.

May 26, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #1,354 of 4,127
Would the XC require strong amplification to sound good despite its relatively high efficiency? Im still perplexed as to why the Lyr cant quite give it an iron fisted control in the lower frequencies.

May 27, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #1,355 of 4,127
Would the XC require strong amplification to sound good despite its relatively high efficiency? Im still perplexed as to why the Lyr cant quite give it an iron fisted control in the lower frequencies.

I've been using my LCD-XC's with my Pico Slim which that amp is supposed to be for IEM's, and those LCD's sound very good with that portable amp, the volume doesn't need to be on full as well.

May 27, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #1,359 of 4,127
I very much feel my XC brings me a couple giant steps closer to being there than my LCD-2 rev2. Bright vs warm has a lot to do with ones perspective relative to previous sound signatures. Once I became used to the signature of the XC the 2 felt flat in comparison (though still good).

Edit: I'll add that I really love how much easier it is to drive the XC over the 2s as well. Opens up more listening opportunities as well as being closed back. I also find that it has pinpoint localization.

Thanks. It cleared up a little bit for me. I actually liked that feeling (sound) of LCD-2's so much i didn't hesitate to sell my Genelec studio monitors and work only on LCD's. But now i need to go closed back so it's not much a matter of a choice. Hoping LCD-XC won't be a disappointment.

May 27, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #1,361 of 4,127
Detailed with good separation, however to me the bass isn't for bassheads, but to say they are closed headphones they sound slightly open, listening to them along with my 009 / BHSE, I think the LCD-XC's sound claustrophobic though, that's even with the GS-Xmk2.

Ok, noted. For a closed cans, they have pretty good soundstage width but its an intimate listening experience with these cans. Am looking for an amp to flesh out the mid bass as I find it a tad lacking in that area.

May 27, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #1,363 of 4,127
Try an amp like the EC Zana Deux. That's what I use with the XC.

Unfortunately there isn't anywhere I can audition the amp first so that's a bit of a minus point for me. I'm now looking at the Pathos Aurium as I read elsewhere it might pair well with the XCs although reviews are pretty mixed with the LCD-3/Aurium combo.

May 27, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #1,364 of 4,127
Try an amp like the EC Zana Deux. That's what I use with the XC.

Did you try the XC with other amps though? The reason I'm asking is that (when Audeze was kind enough to organise a global X/XC tour) I sadly didn't enjoy the XCs too much off my ZDs and later realised that I may not have given it a fair shot by not really trying it with other (non-OTL) amps.

May 27, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #1,365 of 4,127
Unfortunately there isn't anywhere I can audition the amp first so that's a bit of a minus point for me. I'm now looking at the Pathos Aurium as I read elsewhere it might pair well with the XCs although reviews are pretty mixed with the LCD-3/Aurium combo.

Same problem here, in India. Heck, I have not seen ANY headphone amp, period. :rage:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back