Audeze LCD-X
Nov 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #946 of 12,748
MH
You've recommended the LCD2 and 3 headphones in the past for rock. Any input on where the X models stand in that regard? ......for rock, blues, some acoustic, but no classical are they better or on par with the 2s and 3s?

thanks!

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #947 of 12,748
Good to hear! Did you get the gunmetal or black? I see they have a wait list on the Grey so I may just get the black. And if so, do you like the way it looks

Black, and microsuede is chocolate brown, darker than it shows in pictures.

I like it.  It is different than the wood so tastes may vary.

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #949 of 12,748
MH
You've recommended the LCD2 and 3 headphones in the past for rock. Any input on where the X models stand in that regard? ......for rock, blues, some acoustic, but no classical are they better or on par with the 2s and 3s?

thanks!

Please stay tuned. I hate to post reviews without a very thorough listen at home with a lot of different music . I can say that they are outstanding and definitely better than the LCD-2s and they are giving my LCD-3s a run for their money. I can say that the LCD-X are amongst the best all rounders I've heard. :)

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #950 of 12,748
Please stay tuned. I hate to post reviews without a very thorough listen at home with a lot of different music . I can say that they are outstanding and definitely better than the LCD-2s and they are giving my LCD-3s a run for their money. I can say that the LCD-X are amongst the best all rounders I've heard. :)

Moommmmmmm! He's doin' it again!

:D

se

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #951 of 12,748
Please stay tuned. I hate to post reviews without a very thorough listen at home with a lot of different music . I can say that they are outstanding and definitely better than the LCD-2s and they are giving my LCD-3s a run for their money. I can say that the LCD-X are amongst the best all rounders I've heard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any chance you going to include the LCD XC in your review?

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #955 of 12,748
While we're on amp parings. Has anyone run the X off the Emotiva mini-X or any high powered vintage receivers? I'm afraid of possible noise floor given how sensitive these are compared to the LCD-2. I'm hoping it can take the juice since it's a planar. I ran some numbers and the Emotiva "only" does 18W into 22ohms. That might give some head room. LOL.
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #958 of 12,748
Thanks for the link!

Comparing to LCD-2, the FR seems to be more flatter on the LCD-X, which is nice. The THD+noise on the LCD-X is higher, though.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD2.pdf

Have a look at the THD+noise for the same headphones measured several times...this measurement can be affected by any ambient noise. As I mentioned, they are excellent IMO (FR response, 30Hz and 300Hz square waves, and THD). 

Sure it *can* or not.

Nov 9, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #960 of 12,748
  has anyone tried the soloist with the lcd-x? Does it have good synergy like it does with lcd-2,3

It has about the same synergy as with the LCD2.2. I never loved the 2.2 with the soloist but I think it is a decent matching. With the X I'm either on 2 clicks on low gain or 1 click on high gain, which is different than the 2.2. 

The sound is clean, detailed and fast - like good quality solid state should be. It created an enjoyable atmosphere. But maybe a bit thin. I wanted to turn everything up but the treble. Even though it was punchy it wasn't as impactful as I wanted. I know it's not under-powered at all but it almost feels like it doesn't fill out the X to the level it should. If I didn't have amps that I liked better, then I could happily live with the soloist and lcd-x combo...but back to the ECBA. 

BTW, I really like the TH900 and soloist pairing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back