Audeze LCD-X
Nov 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #976 of 12,748
Sorry but I disagree. Meet conditions are really bad for assessing distortion/cleanness of a can. However, coloration can be picked up pretty fast with the right songs and by comparing with a headphone you are familiar with as a reference. 
wink.gif

You are more than welcome to your opinion of course.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #977 of 12,748
  Sorry but I disagree. Meet conditions are really bad for assessing distortion/cleanness of a can. However, coloration can be picked up pretty fast with the right songs and with a headphone reference. 
wink.gif

You are more than welcome to your opinion.

And you are welcome to yours. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #978 of 12,748
  Just to throw in my two cents, the HE-6s where always a rung down from the HD800s as "brighter" sounding headphones go. I've owned both for at least a year, but I still own the HD800s. 
wink.gif

I think you meant a few rungs up 
wink_face.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #980 of 12,748
I'm a bit surprised that more isn't being made of the X's ability to be driven from DAPs and phones...people went apeschiit when the HE-400s were found to be more efficient than the typical planar phone, but now Audeze has taken it to a whole new level. I'm stoked that I'll be able to take a high end planar on the road with me and not have to worry about needing some powerful desktop amp to lug along with it. 

I would have thought people would be a bit more excited about this. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #981 of 12,748
Finally had a chance to listen TH-900, and deeply disappointed. I guess there is a limit on how closed headphones can go....

I guess I will be grabbing LCD-X tomorrow instead. Could had re-order from Drew but I am rather impatient now.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #982 of 12,748
  I think you meant a few rungs up 
wink_face.gif

In terms of brightness...yes. In terms of imaging, detail, quickness, transparency...definitely not.

I'm a bit surprised that more isn't being made of the X's ability to be driven from DAPs and phones...people went apeschiit when the HE-400s were found to be more efficient than the typical planar phone, but now Audeze has taken it to a whole new level. I'm stoked that I'll be able to take a high end planar on the road with me and not have to worry about needing some powerful desktop amp to lug along with it. 

That's another great thing for sure about the LCD-X, I've used them on my FiiO portable amp and they sound surprisingly good. The HE-6s really need a Class A speaker amp to sound their best...hardly an on the go solution.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #983 of 12,748

That is a good point.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #984 of 12,748

good point, totally forgot about that in my calculus

Finally had a chance to listen TH-900, and deeply disappointed. I guess there is a limit on how closed headphones can go....

I guess I will be grabbing LCD-X tomorrow instead. Could had re-order from Drew but I am rather impatient now.

did you try the xc?

Quote: from audeze xc page
 For the purest, most discerning audiophile listening sessions, open headphones remain the favored choice, but our closed-back LCD-XC is the best enclosed headphone experience you’ll find.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #985 of 12,748

That's another great thing for sure about the LCD-X, I've used them on my FiiO portable amp and they sound surprisingly good. The HE-6s really need a Class A speaker amp to sound their best...hardly an on the go solution.

Definitely...I love that there will be room to just stick a little Fiio or a ZO3 or something in the pelican case with the headphones...it's a huge selling point for me, personally. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #986 of 12,748

Definitely...I love that there will be room to just stick a little Fiio or a ZO3 or something in the pelican case with the headphones...it's a huge selling point for me, personally. 

Looks like you're tending towards the LCD-X over the LCD-3s. I wouldn't use the LCD-3s with a portable amp.

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #987 of 12,748
  I think you'll need to look again and also read this article first:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/expert-tests-innerfidelitys-headphone-measurement-repeatability-and-reproducibility

The measurements on top are an average of 5 readings over 5 positions on the dummy head. Look below to see the individual readings on top of each other. 
wink.gif

Between the 2-10kHz, they are very close, no doubt about it. But the improved 300Hz square wave plot is very encouraging to see. I've owned my LCD-3s for 2 years now and still love them to death, but the LCD-X are very impressive headphones for sure and one of the best I've heard yet.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCDX.pdf
vs
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudezeLCD3Rev2sn2613375circa2012.pdf

Very interesting stuff, MH / Peter.  Thanks for the highly detailed info...the science related to our hobby of trying to obtain the most beautiful music coming through headphones!
I have noticed while listening to the LCD-X for about 10-days now that I can change the sound quite a bit depending on the position of the headphones on my head.  The treble changes from bright to "less" bright by moving the headband backward.  Seems to align with some of the comments in your repeatability/reproducibility article.

All the Best -
RCB

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #989 of 12,748

Looks like you're tending towards the LCD-X over the LCD-3s. I wouldn't use the LCD-3s with a portable amp.

The LCD3s pair extremely well with iPod>CLAS-dB>iQubeV2.
Better than RSA71B

Nov 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #990 of 12,748
I notice the head placement stuff even with my LCD-2 depending on how far upward or downward the earcup is relative to my eardrum. Not sure if placebo or not in my case?

Quote:

Why was that?

Mind you considering you say on your profile that you listen to Classical, Rock and Metal - yeah I'd understand people preferring other headphones over the th900 in that case. They are still a top level performer for Electronic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back