Audeze LCD-X
Jul 10, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #11,026 of 12,748
Hey guys, I have a little question.
I wouldn't say I have big ears, i would say maybe average size or 10% larger than average. Would this cause my ears to touch the fazor wall inside the LCD-X ?
does anyone have this issue with their X? and if so, does the feeling go away after a few hours of listening.
Thanks!

Wouldn't larger ears have less issue of touching the fazor since they are more supported by the ear pads as in they will sit more on the ear pads rather than inside? lol... no offence meant :gs1000smile:
Any how back to serious business, there is another fabric like material before the elements so I doubt the ears actually go into direct contact with the fazor elements. Though as phthora said above, if the pads are aged and need to be replaced due to reduced firmness, and / or you don't like the feeling of the ears touching the fabric, you could look to getting something thicker or firmer, though do take note that the sonic signature may change somewhat with different pads.

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #11,027 of 12,748
I have average sized ears, and I've been noticing my ears touching the fazors on the X lately. I say lately because this hasn't always been the case. As the earpads have aged, they began to compress more and more. Now, my ears touch with the X, but not with the 2F or 2C. New pads would fix this issue, I suspect. Or, a switch to stiffer ZMF cowhide pad would give the ears a bit more room. On the other hand, while I notice the contact occasionally, it's not an irritant. Of course, I don't find them heavy either, so what do I know. lol
Do you know if the pads are glued on or have some type of plastic/metal lock mechanism ?
I guess i'll just have to take the plunge and buy them.

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #11,028 of 12,748
The pads are glued on but with a little care will come off quite easily. I recommend the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads. I have them on my LCD-4. They are thicker and much more comfortable than the stock pads and I noticed little change in SQ when I installed them. I have owned the LCD2f, X and now LCD-4. I never much cared for the stock Audeze pads. The best pads were the microsuede pads I had on my X but sadly Audeze does not offer them anymore.

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #11,029 of 12,748
The pads are glued on but with a little care will come off quite easily. I recommend the Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads. I have them on my LCD-4. They are thicker and much more comfortable than the stock pads and I noticed little change in SQ when I installed them. I have owned the LCD2f, X and now LCD-4. I never much cared for the stock Audeze pads. The best pads were the microsuede pads I had on my X but sadly Audeze does not offer them anymore.
I'll def look into thoes. but i think what i'll do to avoid any kind of premature damage, i'll wait till they get very worn in/flat and then change later on.

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #11,030 of 12,748
Wouldn't larger ears have less issue of touching the fazor since they are more supported by the ear pads as in they will sit more on the ear pads rather than inside? lol... no offence meant :gs1000smile:
Any how back to serious business, there is another fabric like material before the elements so I doubt the ears actually go into direct contact with the fazor elements. Though as phthora said above, if the pads are aged and need to be replaced due to reduced firmness, and / or you don't like the feeling of the ears touching the fabric, you could look to getting something thicker or firmer, though do take note that the sonic signature may change somewhat with different pads.

It's not so much the fabric that is the issue, but the hard edge of the Fazor underneath that is the concern. That bothers me more than, for example, my ears touching the soft tuning inserts on my Aeon Flow C. With the X, the touching issue only pops up occasionally and can be solved, for me at least, by careful fit and placement of the headphones on my noggin.

I'll def look into thoes. but i think what i'll do to avoid any kind of premature damage, i'll wait till they get very worn in/flat and then change later on.

Just be sure to keep them off of those omega-style headphone stands, as they keep the pads under constant compression. As a point of reference, I found that my pads didn't start showing this issue until about 2 years/200ish hours of head-time, and again, the ear touching is still just this side of noticeable now.

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #11,031 of 12,748
I dont keep my headphones outside of their cases for any other reason than just listening to them. When im done, back into the case they go.

Im also a little paranoid with audeze and hifiman cans, i dont wanna keep them in the open because i dont want dust accumulating on the open back drivers, potentially weighing them down or causing issues of any kind.

Jul 10, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #11,032 of 12,748
I dont keep my headphones outside of their cases for any other reason than just listening to them. When im done, back into the case they go.

Im also a little paranoid with audeze and hifiman cans, i dont wanna keep them in the open because i dont want dust accumulating on the open back drivers, potentially weighing them down or causing issues of any kind.
I'm the same way; into the case. By the way, where in Canada are ya at?

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #11,033 of 12,748
It's not so much the fabric that is the issue, but the hard edge of the Fazor underneath that is the concern. That bothers me more than, for example, my ears touching the soft tuning inserts on my Aeon Flow C. With the X, the touching issue only pops up occasionally and can be solved, for me at least, by careful fit and placement of the headphones on my noggin.

Just be sure to keep them off of those omega-style headphone stands, as they keep the pads under constant compression. As a point of reference, I found that my pads didn't start showing this issue until about 2 years/200ish hours of head-time, and again, the ear touching is still just this side of noticeable now.

I see. Totally agree with what you mentioned!
I haven't had mine for that long yet but will surely keep a look out, though I did burn them in together with my DAP with them on the omega stand for about a week or so :beyersmile:

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #11,035 of 12,748
Thank you! X seems like the best bang for the buck then.
If not the 3, what's the best headphone around $2,000 in your experience?

Depends.
What do you like to listen to?
How do you like your sound?
Do you listen more on the go or at home?
What's your current set-up like?

Bring your gear along and audition if and whenever you can!

Jul 10, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #11,036 of 12,748
Thank you! X seems like the best bang for the buck then.
If not the 3, what's the best headphone around $2,000 in your experience?

for 1100 or less(I've seen them for $800) these headphones can be driven fairly well by almost everything.

at 2,000 dollars the best bang for buck might be the he1000v2. The he100se made the price drop. But you NEED a dac and amp.

so its a very complicated question. Ears are on everyone and we don't hear the same crap.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #11,037 of 12,748
Jul 10, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #11,038 of 12,748
Depends.
What do you like to listen to?
How do you like your sound?
Do you listen more on the go or at home?
What's your current set-up like?

Bring your gear along and audition if and whenever you can!

- I listen to Classic Rock, Synth Pop, Jazz and Movie Soundtrack (Watching a lot of movies on a headphone too)
- I like that Electrostatic fast sound with Planar Bass (Not sure if that's possible, but I heard Stax 007 does that)
- Home listening only
- I got a Mytek Liberty Dac + Hifiman Arya (Planning to get Violectric V280 to pair with it)

I love the Arya, but sometimes I do crave a full bodied thick sound. Plus my local hifi store gives a special discount if I purchase a headphone + amp combo (that's why I'm considering an Audeze + V280 combo)

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #11,039 of 12,748
for 1100 or less(I've seen them for $800) these headphones can be driven fairly well by almost everything.

at 2,000 dollars the best bang for buck might be the he1000v2. The he100se made the price drop. But you NEED a dac and amp.

so its a very complicated question. Ears are on everyone and we don't hear the same ****.

True that. I already got the Arya which I heard is 80 - 90% in sound quality of the HE1000V2, so I'm currently looking for a warmer and thicker headphone to complement it.

From memory, I love the X but never do an AB comparison between different LCD lineup. Figured I could get some useful info here. I asked about the LCD-3F is because everyone who auditioned it told me it's very "lush and pleasurable" lol A huge plus for the X for being easy to drive though.

Jul 11, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #11,040 of 12,748
Yeah im also a bit stuck between the LCD-X and Arya. But i may get the X first, because its cheaper and more readily available in my city. The Arya id have to special order in a shop or check amazon. I really did like the Arya when i tried them at an audio show, i kinda hogged them a bit from other people haha. I spent 1hr at the booth lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back