Audeze LCD-X
Jun 10, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #10,996 of 12,748
Thanks for the replies. Interesting that the xv2 was brought up. How do they compare in terms of detail? I believe the general consensus is hex has better soundstage but audeze has better mids and (bass maybe?)

No way the X has better mids, as they’re too rolled off. Audeze bass is first class, though. The HEX V2 has very good bass as well, but Audeze bass is more visceral.

Jun 10, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #10,998 of 12,748
Aloha, I am deciding between the Deckard and Gilmore Lite Mk2 amps for my X. 50/50 music and movies. The dac in the Deckard is a bonus but not 100% necessary. Any input would be appreciated.

I might throw the monoprice liquid platinum. It is a great amp. You might want to add a schiit sys to use to control the input level as there is no gain switch on the lp.

Jun 10, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #10,999 of 12,748
GL Mk2 is a kick-ass little amp. Cannot go wrong with this amp. However it is SE only, so if cables and / or dac is balanced then there will be an issue. A USB signal conditioner is always a welcome addition IMHO...

Jun 12, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #11,000 of 12,748
I keep hearing so many good things about these headphones and I'm seriously considering getting a used pair to check them out.

I have only one worry, really.

How much of a problem is the weight of these?
Can you comfortably wear them for a few hours at a time or is there some kind of problem with heavy use?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #11,001 of 12,748
I keep hearing so many good things about these headphones and I'm seriously considering getting a used pair to check them out.

I have only one worry, really.

How much of a problem is the weight of these?
Can you comfortably wear them for a few hours at a time or is there some kind of problem with heavy use?
I don't find the weight to be a problem. But if you do a search in the thread, you should find many varied opinions.

Jun 12, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #11,002 of 12,748
Headphones around 600g, such as the LCDX do feel significantly heavier than something like the hd600s for example. It should be fine however, as long as you aren't a stick. Even if they are heavy and uncomfortable at first, it is something that you can get used to quite quickly. Just remember the Indian man who wears a 100lb turban. If he can deal with 100 lbs, you can deal with 1lb: .

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #11,003 of 12,748
Okay. So after spending countless hours watching youtube videos and reading reviews, I decided to pull the trigger on a used lcd x for gbp 635 from ebay. Also ordered a Khadas tone board with case and a JDS Labs Atom amp so there should be at least decently clean signal for this pair. I'm trying to keep my expectations low. But I do hope to be wowed upgrading from Audio Technica ath adg1x and Sound Blaster x g5.

First thing I will play on these will be This is America by Childish Gambino because there are a lot of... secondary voices and stuff and I want to hear new details and better positioning there. Oh and I hope the bass will bring a smile to my face too when those parts of the song fire up... And then BFG squadron from Doom 2016 OST will be the follow up. Must not forget to play the last wave song from They are Billions game too for some symphony orchestra game music.

After that some Avicii... and I cant skip Smooth Criminal by MJ... And then your suggestions, please!

What do you think is the most technically impressive song to play on the lcd-x? Preferrably something available on Tidal. What should bring the wow factor?

Jun 16, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #11,004 of 12,748
Okay. So after spending countless hours watching youtube videos and reading reviews, I decided to pull the trigger on a used lcd x for gbp 635 from ebay. Also ordered a Khadas tone board with case and a JDS Labs Atom amp so there should be at least decently clean signal for this pair. I'm trying to keep my expectations low. But I do hope to be wowed upgrading from Audio Technica ath adg1x and Sound Blaster x g5.

First thing I will play on these will be This is America by Childish Gambino because there are a lot of... secondary voices and stuff and I want to hear new details and better positioning there. Oh and I hope the bass will bring a smile to my face too when those parts of the song fire up... And then BFG squadron from Doom 2016 OST will be the follow up. Must not forget to play the last wave song from They are Billions game too for some symphony orchestra game music.

After that some Avicii... and I cant skip Smooth Criminal by MJ... And then your suggestions, please!

What do you think is the most technically impressive song to play on the lcd-x? Preferrably something available on Tidal. What should bring the wow factor?

Good choice on DAC price/performance ratio...the entry-level source stuff just keeps getting better and better.
Not been a fan of any Sabre DACs I bought/tried since 2012...icy/brittle/glare/thin and all but gave up on Sabre...but these new entry-level Gen. 9038 DACs are a band apart now, and some come quite close to MOJO detail/transparancy if the design around the chip has been done right.

Edit : there is though, a balanced Khadas tone board coming soon that also is taking care of the objectively measured "ESS hump" that has been talked about online.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #11,008 of 12,748
Is the lcd-x a headphone that is amp dependent or nah? Not necessarily in terms of impedance and loudness, but rather, do I need to invest a couple hundreds or thousands of dollars into a dac/amp setup to take advantage of its sound? Asking partially since I can get the Aurender Flow for around $500 at the moment, and wondering if it is a necessary upgrade from HP-A3

Jun 23, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #11,009 of 12,748
Most reviews I've seen say that you can drive the lcd-x on anything.
examples:

These guys say the 100 dollar Micca Origen dac/amp is great for these:

Joshua Valor from 8:22 to 9:45

Zeos from 7:11 to 7:51

My plan is to use 250 euros for a combination of Khadas Tone Board (with a case from a French etailer) and Atom amp to get something versatile that should run these and 99% of any other non estat cans.

So basically I'd only get something more expensive if you have additional reasons to do so:
- You intend to run other, more hungry cans with the amp too.

- You really like the looks and build quality of some other amp. (Like if you want to spend just a little extra for convenience and comfort, look at JDS Labs The Element. dac and amp in one unit and a very nice big knob for volume :). Actually Atom and Khadas combination perform better in measurements though but I would not bet that you could hear the difference.)

-You don't have anything more meaningful to do with the money, such as better cd player, better cables, or getting the version with the carry case instead of the creator's version.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #11,010 of 12,748
I personally don't trust zeos ears, his judgement of HP-A3=good dac is correct, but it has a pretty awful amp, which he doesn't think. I understand that I could drive the lcd-x straight out of my phone, but I've had a pretty significant differences on low impedance high sensitivity headphones on different amps in terms of soundstage, clarity, and harshness. I have seen some reviews say they are extremely amp-dependent, as well as some who say they aren't. There's a chance I'll upgrade the amp anyway, even without hard-to-drive headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back