Audeze LCD-X
Jul 11, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #11,041 of 12,748
- I listen to Classic Rock, Synth Pop, Jazz and Movie Soundtrack (Watching a lot of movies on a headphone too)
- I like that Electrostatic fast sound with Planar Bass (Not sure if that's possible, but I heard Stax 007 does that)
- Home listening only
- I got a Mytek Liberty Dac + Hifiman Arya (Planning to get Violectric V280 to pair with it)

I love the Arya, but sometimes I do crave a full bodied thick sound. Plus my local hifi store gives a special discount if I purchase a headphone + amp combo (that's why I'm considering an Audeze + V280 combo)

I haven't heard a Stax nor an Arya to be honest.
And your DAC is a good one IMO.
In terms of speed, planars are pretty good and looking at the LCD-X or the closed back equivalent (LCD-XC that I have) they are easily driven to reach their max potential due to the fairly high sensitivity and low impedance. Note that the LCD-X / XC were designed to be well-rounded headphones suitable for a wide genre, which are to my experience up to Audeze's claims.
I use the V280 as well (see sig) and honestly, my XCs sound good even with my portables, as well as the headphone jack on the ADI-2 dac. The V280 is a bit of an overkill, though there are subtle improvements, but if you have a good deal from your local dealer for a headphone/amp combo, why not :ksc75smile:

For what you're listening to, I think the Audeze will do fine and if you get a good deal, it will be sweet.

Jul 11, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #11,042 of 12,748
- I listen to Classic Rock, Synth Pop, Jazz and Movie Soundtrack (Watching a lot of movies on a headphone too)
- I like that Electrostatic fast sound with Planar Bass (Not sure if that's possible, but I heard Stax 007 does that)
- Home listening only
- I got a Mytek Liberty Dac + Hifiman Arya (Planning to get Violectric V280 to pair with it)

I love the Arya, but sometimes I do crave a full bodied thick sound. Plus my local hifi store gives a special discount if I purchase a headphone + amp combo (that's why I'm considering an Audeze + V280 combo)

I made some comparisons between the LCD XC and HE560 that I have in the link below.
Hopefully it will give you a better idea of the sound.
Cheers!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1380#post-15052232

Jul 12, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #11,045 of 12,748
Jul 16, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #11,048 of 12,748
i'll be honest, I know the LCD2Classic(new headband revision) is 1k$ and the LCD-X (new headband revision) is 1700$.. is the LCDX worth the almost double price tag? i'd be curious if someone has both to do an A+B comparison not just in sound but value.

Jul 16, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #11,049 of 12,748
i'll be honest, I know the LCD2Classic(new headband revision) is 1k$ and the LCD-X (new headband revision) is 1700$.. is the LCDX worth the almost double price tag? i'd be curious if someone has both to do an A+B comparison not just in sound but value.

isn't the lcd-x 1100?

id say it depends on the sound you like. Asking people what you would like is a hard task.

Id rather listen to the X through my equipment. But 1700 is a high price. The creators package is 1,100 dollars.

you just don't get a carrying case

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #11,050 of 12,748
isn't the lcd-x 1100?

id say it depends on the sound you like. Asking people what you would like is a hard task.

Id rather listen to the X through my equipment. But 1700 is a high price. The creators package is 1,100 dollars.

you just don't get a carrying case
1100 USD = 1,699 CND :p so yes, the price is correct. its 1700$ + Tax.. = $1,956.00
LCD2C = 800$ USD = 1,100 CND. 1,100 CND + tax = $1,266.00

so yeah, for us here in canada, its almost 2x more the money for the LCD-X over the LCD2Classic. (this is with both being no cases+shipped in carboard foam box).

I feel like i mean to ask which would be better value to own, if someone has both in their collection.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #11,051 of 12,748
1100 USD = 1,699 CND :p so yes, the price is correct. its 1700$ + Tax.. = $1,956.00
LCD2C = 800$ USD = 1,100 CND. 1,100 CND + tax = $1,266.00

so yeah, for us here in canada, its almost 2x more the money for the LCD-X over the LCD2Classic. (this is with both being no cases+shipped in carboard foam box).

I feel like i mean to ask which would be better value to own, if someone has both in their collection.

ouch thats rough

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #11,052 of 12,748
That's rough I paid $599 USD for my classic and $899 USD B stock brand new LCD X. I just got the X yesterday, so I can't really comment on the differences yet.

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #11,053 of 12,748
That's rough I paid $599 USD for my classic and $899 USD B stock brand new LCD X. I just got the X yesterday, so I can't really comment on the differences yet.
Yeah, tax in my city is really not fair. But, its been like that forever hahaha.

I would very much be interesting in hearing what you find after a few weeks :) or whenever you feel you've deduced enough experience.

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #11,054 of 12,748
Yeah, tax in my city is really not fair. But, its been like that forever hahaha.

I would very much be interesting in hearing what you find after a few weeks :) or whenever you feel you've deduced enough experience.
I can do that later on, comparisons but I suck at describing what I hear, but I'll give it a shot.

Jul 16, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #11,055 of 12,748
is the LCDX worth the almost double price tag? i'd be curious if someone has both to do an A+B comparison not just in sound but value.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does not asking whether the X is worth almost double the price tag of the 2C already give the game away, by making it evident to the reader what answer you're expecting, which is most likely the negative one? It is like asking whether the Hifiman Susvara ($6000) is worth 30 times the price tag of the Hifiman He-400i (<$200)

From the viewpoint of diminishing returns, the obvious answer is supposed to be "no" in most of such queries. But is this approach entirely satisfactory? It would be if the link between $$$value and the quality of performance was a straight forward and logical one, but is that how things work in this hobby? To me it isn't, at least not most of the time.

Another way to ask the question would be as follows : As an enthusiast and music lover, looking for a pair of headphones to use over a period of 3, 4, 5 or more years, would you opt for a pair that would provide you with a relatively compromised, if not subpar listening experience, each time you put it on as opposed to a pair that would provide you with one of the most luxurious listening experiences that the most up-to-date technologies in the business will have to offer, that is if you can afford the second?

Here's another example : if you have to take 2 round-trip flights to a given business destination, would it matter to you whether you're flying coach (under rather crammed circumstances) or first class (with all its attendant luxuries)? What if you had to make the same trip for business 3 to 5 times every week for the next 5 consecutive years? Will flying coach or 1st class matter to you in the same way for both scenarios?

This is where all kinds of factors related to subjective preferences, tastes, priorities, and budgets will come into play.

While I personally know what I would always opt for under such circumstances (assuming money itself does not pose a problem), i.e. were I to be offered the choice between an He-400i and a Susvara, for example, I cannot say that my choice would suit everyone... Hell I know several folks who would either not notice or care about the differences between the sound quality of an Abyss Phi TC ($5000 +) and a $20 pair of no-name-brand Headphones from Walmart, as long as each pair of cans is producing sounds they can hear, and they are of course within their rights to have the preferences they do.

However, would you be satisfied with the answers they provide if you go to them with questions about headphone choices that should be directed at more discriminating listeners? I am sure you see where I am going with this... Sorry if that has come across as too "preachy"...:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back