Audeze LCD-X
May 5, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #10,937 of 12,748
Often wondered if the wires inside a headphone are just really narrow gauge plain old copper, does that affect the net transmittance or overall net resistance with cable included? Seems like it would have to but is there any way to really quantify that? Do any headphones utilize OCC litz silver wires inside to connect voice coils/traces etc.?

There used to be a seller on EBay that was doing a wire mod for the Sennheiser 800/800S. He was putting in a pure silver wire in place of the stock wire that he claimed was creating a “sonic bottleneck”. He was only charging around $100, I think, for the work.

May 8, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #10,938 of 12,748
The gauge of wire will be enough to carry the current.

Do you see any manufactures for amps or headphones saying they use 'special cables'.
Yes, Abyss and Wells Audio do - two highly regarded brands

May 8, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #10,939 of 12,748
Yes, Abyss and Wells Audio do - two highly regarded brands
Yes, a fair number of companies carefully choose internal wiring and components, Wreckless. Shouldn't that be obvious in this obsession-driven hobby we're in? Anyway, I for one can clearly hear a difference with audio cables. If you just dismiss that, then we have nothing further to discuss, as we have no common experiences, and I'm bored.

May 13, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #10,940 of 12,748
I got my X's back from a right driver repair. Support was great.

My question: They sound different. Am I imagining that? I wore mine almost daily since Jan '15. I swear these are different headphones. I must assume that the drivers are different than before.

May 13, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #10,941 of 12,748
I believe they changed the drivers in 2016 partially to make them more reliable, but they also changed the sound too.

May 13, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #10,942 of 12,748
I got my X's back from a right driver repair. Support was great.

My question: They sound different. Am I imagining that? I wore mine almost daily since Jan '15. I swear these are different headphones. I must assume that the drivers are different than before.

I believe they changed the drivers in 2016 partially to make them more reliable, but they also changed the sound too.

Mixman is right. Details here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard.804186/

May 15, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #10,944 of 12,748
If anyone has tried any of the Dekoni Audeze pads on the LCD-X, could they kindly share their impressions? Thanks.

May 15, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #10,945 of 12,748
If anyone has tried any of the Dekoni Audeze pads on the LCD-X, could they kindly share their impressions? Thanks.

I have the lambskin pads on mine. They are thicker than the audeze pads but are much more comfortable than the new pads that audeze is using. I had the 4z for a while and it sounded great but the pads were much more firm than the old style that audeze had.

May 15, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #10,946 of 12,748
I have the Elite Hybrid pads on my 4 and find them to be very comfortable. They are thicker than Audeze pads. I had the Audeze microsuede pads on my X when I had it. I would love to have those on my 4 but as far as I know they are no longer available. I find the Dekoni hybrid pads to be the next best thing to the microsuede.

May 15, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #10,947 of 12,748
I have the Elite Hybrid pads on my 4 and find them to be very comfortable. They are thicker than Audeze pads. I had the Audeze microsuede pads on my X when I had it. I would love to have those on my 4 but as far as I know they are no longer available. I find the Dekoni hybrid pads to be the next best thing to the microsuede.

Could you please say how the hybrid pads altered the sound of your 4 compared to the stock pads?

May 15, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #10,948 of 12,748
Overall I did not hear much change. Because they are thicker there is a small increase in soundstage at least to my ears. Tonally not so much.

May 15, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #10,949 of 12,748
Overall I did not hear much change. Because they are thicker there is a small increase in soundstage at least to my ears. Tonally not so much.

That’s interesting because the Dekoni sheepskin earpads have made a huge difference, in a positive way, with my 4Z. So much so, that I’m very interested in hearing how some of their other options affect the sound. I actually have a brand new pair of Elite Velour’s for my 4Z, but I like my current sound so much, that I’m scared to even try them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back