Audeze LCD-X
May 15, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #10,951 of 12,748
Very curious to see how the fenestrated sheepskin affects the sound. I suspect the thicker pads will be a good bit more comfortable.

I want to know if the fenestrated pads do what Dekoni says they’re supposed to do. The tiny holes are supposed to absorb some treble instead of reflect it. So they’re supposed to give you about the same amount of bass but with slightly smoother upper mids and treble.

May 15, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #10,952 of 12,748
Well I hope they dont reduce or attenuate treble in any way. I was thinking might be a little cooler than the stock pads.

May 15, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #10,953 of 12,748
If anyone has tried any of the Dekoni Audeze pads on the LCD-X, could they kindly share their impressions? Thanks.
I own all of the Dekoni Pads and after constant swapping I find the fenestrated sheepskin to be my absolute favorites. All of the pads increase soundstage compared to stock in the order from the widest to the most narrow being: sheepskin>hybrid>fenestrated>velour.
The sheepskin pads don't really alter the sound apart from being slightly wider sounding than stock.
Hybrid pads boost the upper mids the most which makes the lcd-x sound more detailed but it just brings background details closer to the foreground. A major downside of the hybrid pads is that they make the x sound slightly sibilant with female vocals. I could more easily hear noises in the recording room and artist's breaths were really highlighted, which got annoying because my jotunheim sounds grainy in the upper mids and treble. At RMAF, however, I compared my LCD-X with hybrid pads to LCD-4, 4z on their hugo tt2 and they sounded really similar to me.
The velour pads are my second favorites because of the soundstage and warmth in the sound they provide. Velour pads make the x sound smoother and wider but at the cost of some bass slam.
Finally, the fenestrated sheepskin pads are the best for my preferences because they fill in the upper mid dip in the x without any sibilance, extend the treble, and even increase bass slam. Imaging just gets better with these pads; the sound is taller and sometimes I even try to turn off my speakers because I think they're on, too. The fenestrated pads make the lcd-x brighter but I love the sound.
Hope this helps.

May 16, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #10,954 of 12,748
I own all of the Dekoni Pads and after constant swapping I find the fenestrated sheepskin to be my absolute favorites. All of the pads increase soundstage compared to stock in the order from the widest to the most narrow being: sheepskin>hybrid>fenestrated>velour.
The sheepskin pads don't really alter the sound apart from being slightly wider sounding than stock.
Hybrid pads boost the upper mids the most which makes the lcd-x sound more detailed but it just brings background details closer to the foreground. A major downside of the hybrid pads is that they make the x sound slightly sibilant with female vocals. I could more easily hear noises in the recording room and artist's breaths were really highlighted, which got annoying because my jotunheim sounds grainy in the upper mids and treble. At RMAF, however, I compared my LCD-X with hybrid pads to LCD-4, 4z on their hugo tt2 and they sounded really similar to me.
The velour pads are my second favorites because of the soundstage and warmth in the sound they provide. Velour pads make the x sound smoother and wider but at the cost of some bass slam.
Finally, the fenestrated sheepskin pads are the best for my preferences because they fill in the upper mid dip in the x without any sibilance, extend the treble, and even increase bass slam. Imaging just gets better with these pads; the sound is taller and sometimes I even try to turn off my speakers because I think they're on, too. The fenestrated pads make the lcd-x brighter but I love the sound.
Hope this helps.
Wow! Now I really can't wait to try the dekoni pads. Thanks for posting up the impressions!

May 16, 2019 at 1:19 AM Post #10,955 of 12,748
Hope this helps.

That was awesome. Thanks for that info and comparison.

May 16, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #10,956 of 12,748
I got my X's back from a right driver repair. Support was great.

My question: They sound different. Am I imagining that? I wore mine almost daily since Jan '15. I swear these are different headphones. I must assume that the drivers are different than before.

I’m in the position of making the choice to pay $580 to have mine repaired. They are older.

Is this a disappointing change in sound?

Because I can just imagine that sound you are talking about your older pair having before you fixes them is all I know.

Last edited:
May 20, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #10,957 of 12,748
I sure can't wait to get my hands on a pair of the X's love the Audeze sound..

May 25, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #10,958 of 12,748
He he he! Now that I have got one pair each of the Dekoni pads (Elite sheepskin, Elite Hybrid, Elite Fenestrated) sitting right here on my table, I am all of a sudden feeling reluctant to try any of them on either my LCD-X or LCD-4, although I have been curious about them for a long time. I thought I would be impatient to experiment, so why the apparent cold feet?. Part of the problem is that the stock pads seem to be glued on so tight that taking them off now feels a little intimidating... The other possible reason is that I do not really dislike anything about the stock pads... I just want to experiment with the new pads to find out whether I am going to like the sound of any of them better than I do the stock... However, the vibe I am suddenly getting is "if it ain't broke... blah, blah, blah."

One thing I would like to know is how long the gluing power lasts with multiple swaps, and what type of glue one should apply when/if the original glue on the pads starts becoming weak after several swaps... Does anyone know how that works?

May 25, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #10,959 of 12,748
I was staring at the box containing the new Dekoni Elite fenestrated sheepskin pads and contemplating actually peeling off the stock pads from my 4z headphones.
I was feeling intimidated about doing so. My phones in stock condition were in no way broken or in need of any alteration. But I spent $80 on the new pads,
and I was determined to swap them out. SO I started to peel off the original pads. They are stuck on there pretty darned well. I was kind of apprehensive about
peeling them off, and possibly breaking the drivers somehow. And the fact that if I did do something to compromise the drivers, then it would be on me because I
did that. Anyway, finally got the pads pulled off and went to pull the paper covers off the new adhesive rings that are already applied to the new pads. That was a total
pain but finally got that done without destroying the new pads. Lined up the pads appropriately, and began pushing them down on the drivers. Pulling up the old pads
left a gummy mess including the felt layer that ensures pressure equalization which helps keep the ultra-thin diaphragm from being torn due to excessive pressure
while donning the phones.

So I got the new pads stuck on, and continue to press down around the perimeter of the pads to secure to the driver modules as they do not sit seamlessly onto the
drivers exactly like the stock pads did. Which to an anal perfectionist like myself bugs the crap out of me. Anyway, they are stuck on and appear to be staying put.
The new pads are somewhat more comfortable, as the foam is softer and the fenestrated sheepskin is somewhat more comfortable as well. I don't hear a huge
difference in SQ, similar to new cables which some just gush about as making a huge difference in various aspects of sonic performance but I digress...

So to summarize, the new pads are more comfortable and may impart the slightest improvement in mids and staging but the improvement is really slight. Is the
effort and cost to replace the stock pads worth it? Well the comfort factor may make it so, but the actual sonic performance would not seem to indicate the validity.
Definitely did not hurt the presentation at all, maybe a slight enhancement, so the most favorable aspect of the swap would be the comfort factor IMHO.The new pads
are somewhat more comfortable to wear for extended listening sessions like 8 to 20 hours at a time as I am prone to do regularly. My equipment gets huge hours... So
comfort matters. The new pads are probably worth checking out, but mainly for the increased comfort. Don't think that swapping out pads is going to prove to be a magic
bullet or anything like that because if not enthralled with the headphones before (SQ) then the new pads will not change that substantially if at all.

Audeze obviously did not intend for the stock pads to be monkeyed with. Not the most fun thing to do but if done, the headphones will be more comfortable so that is a benefit.

Last edited:
May 25, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #10,960 of 12,748
He he he! Now that I have got one pair each of the Dekoni pads (Elite sheepskin, Elite Hybrid, Elite Fenestrated) sitting right here on my table, I am all of a sudden feeling reluctant to try any of them on either my LCD-X or LCD-4, although I have been curious about them for a long time. I thought I would be impatient to experiment, so why the apparent cold feet?. Part of the problem is that the stock pads seem to be glued on so tight that taking them off now feels a little intimidating... The other possible reason is that I do not really dislike anything about the stock pads... I just want to experiment with the new pads to find out whether I am going to like the sound of any of them better than I do the stock... However, the vibe I am suddenly getting is "if it ain't broke... blah, blah, blah."

One thing I would like to know is how long the gluing power lasts with multiple swaps, and what type of glue one should apply when/if the original glue on the pads starts becoming weak after several swaps... Does anyone know how that works?
I pad swap often with mine and all of the dekoni pads retain their holding power.

May 25, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #10,961 of 12,748
I was staring at the box containing the new Dekoni Elite fenestrated sheepskin pads and contemplating actually peeling off the stock pads from my 4z headphones.
I was feeling intimidated about doing so. My phones in stock condition were in no way broken or in need of any alteration. But I spent $80 on the new pads,
and I was determined to swap them out. SO I started to peel off the original pads. They are stuck on there pretty darned well. I was kind of apprehensive about
peeling them off, and possibly breaking the drivers somehow. And the fact that if I did do something to compromise the drivers, then it would be on me because I
did that. Anyway, finally got the pads pulled off and went to pull the paper covers off the new adhesive rings that are already applied to the new pads. That was a total
pain but finally got that done without destroying the new pads. Lined up the pads appropriately, and began pushing them down on the drivers. Pulling up the old pads
left a gummy mess including the felt layer that ensures pressure equalization which helps keep the ultra-thin diaphragm from being torn due to excessive pressure
while donning the phones.

So I got the new pads stuck on, and continue to press down around the perimeter of the pads to secure to the driver modules as they do not sit seamlessly onto the
drivers exactly like the stock pads did. Which to an anal perfectionist like myself bugs the crap out of me. Anyway, they are stuck on and appear to be staying put.
The new pads are somewhat more comfortable, as the foam is softer and the fenestrated sheepskin is somewhat more comfortable as well. I don't hear a huge
difference in SQ, similar to new cables which some just gush about as making a huge difference in various aspects of sonic performance but I digress...

So to summarize, the new pads are more comfortable and may impart the slightest improvement in mids and staging but the improvement is really slight. Is the
effort and cost to replace the stock pads worth it? Well the comfort factor may make it so, but the actual sonic performance would not seem to indicate the validity.
Definitely did not hurt the presentation at all, maybe a slight enhancement, so the most favorable aspect of the swap would be the comfort factor IMHO.The new pads
are somewhat more comfortable to wear for extended listening sessions like 8 to 20 hours at a time as I am prone to do regularly. My equipment gets huge hours... So
comfort matters. The new pads are probably worth checking out, but mainly for the increased comfort. Don't think that swapping out pads is going to prove to be a magic
bullet or anything like that because if not enthralled with the headphones before (SQ) then the new pads will not change that substantially if at all.

Audeze obviously did not intend for the stock pads to be monkeyed with. Not the most fun thing to do but if done, the headphones will be more comfortable so that is a benefit.

Wow! This is very helpful. Soon, I shall work up the courage to try on one set of new pads at least. The foam in the stock pads of my X have grown relatively old in the tooth, and both pads are beginning to sag a little so I may as well start with those.:)

May 30, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #10,962 of 12,748
Hey guys, I was made a relatively decent offer on my recent purchase of the X. My Aeolus and amp arrives next week and am facing the conundrum of whether to keep or sell my X.

I really do enjoy the planar speed and detail but the weight does seem to be somewhat bothersome after 2hrs.

Any advice? Keep the X or look to other planars? Thanks all :)

May 30, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #10,963 of 12,748
Hey guys, I was made a relatively decent offer on my recent purchase of the X. My Aeolus and amp arrives next week and am facing the conundrum of whether to keep or sell my X.

I really do enjoy the planar speed and detail but the weight does seem to be somewhat bothersome after 2hrs.

IMO it depends on the music you listen to and on your sound preference.

Audeze bass extension is superior when it comes to electronic or contemporary music. With jazz or chamber music the Aeolus might be the better option since it has a better musical/instrumental timbre. Audeze on the other hand is much more fun with electronica. Your gear makes a huge difference too, so read what you can online before purchasing/selling.

If I listened to acoustic music I'd reach for the Aeolus. With contemporary electronica it is LCD-X without a question.

They both improve with better gear, so make sure you give them what you can afford. :wink:

May 30, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #10,964 of 12,748

I would say keep the X, but that's easy for me to say because I have zero problems with the weight. It may or may not be worth your while to keep it, depending on how serious you consider the weight problem to be, but only you can decide that... On the other hand, it does not have to be an either/or deal between the X and the Aeolus, since you can keep them both if you do enjoy them both, and can afford to keep them... Again, it is another matter which will come down to personal choice...

Unless there is some urgency obliging you to decide immediately or quickly, I'll wait and try them side by side for some time... Your ears should eventually help you to make a more reliable first-hand decision, one way or the other, after you have auditioned your X and aeolus with patience, and learnt what each is capable of in your own system. It is usually the best way to avoid making decisions one might regret under such circumstances...

My 2 cents.

May 30, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #10,965 of 12,748
Love my X's but it may be upgrade time. I am just finding too dark sounding right now, so i am looking for an upgrade.....either another Audeze or not. I am wondering if any of you have moved to the 3F, 4 or 4Z and have been happy with the upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back