Audeze LCD-X
Dec 4, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #8,656 of 12,748
Enter a new player. Decided to step up my game and had a nice audition with the LCD-X Opens, Focal Elear and a few others. I'll write up a nice post on the experience, but came to say wow and -- boom -- new owner. It really does pay to listen to them. 

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #8,657 of 12,748
  Enter a new player. Decided to step up my game and had a nice audition with the LCD-X Opens, Focal Elear and a few others. I'll write up a nice post on the experience, but came to say wow and -- boom -- new owner. It really does pay to listen to them. 

For sure, and welcome.  Try to use your own, familiar, music to help you decide if that is possible.  

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #8,658 of 12,748
  Let me summarize it for you but please do a comparison if you have the chance. This is only in my personal opinion.

EDIT: All the listening are done with my Gumby/Mjolnr2 with Wyrd on the line. In foobar with all FLAC files, mostly metal/rock. I have tested some electronic music just for the bass. They are all on fully balanced mode and with not so expensive fancy silver cables.

HD800 (Super dupont mod)LCD X (pre 2016)HE6 (Grill mod)Audeze LCD 4 (2016 drivers)
Detail retrieval+Probably the most detailed phones, LCD 4 was very close-Surely loses against 800+ Slightly (a tad) lesser than the HD800+ On par with the 800, I felt they were also very detailed than the 800s on some occasions (except for orchestra)
Lows+Good impact, quick decay and bass quality but not much quantity+Very punchy, goes very deep (typical planar magnetic)+ Nice punchy bass, good impact and short decay, heavier than the HD 800, similar to the LCD X and other planars around+++++++ Best Bass ever in any headphones ever. Period. If you had the chance to listen to them please do. You will hate yourself and your other headphones.
Mids+Very neutral, everything sounds as natural as it should be. ( Very neutral also means they are boring )-colored, some may like it, some may not+ Very nice neutral mids (not so boring as the HD 800, maybe because of a bit more upper lows?)+++++++ Mids are very very nice though not musical as the LCD 3s but they are very natural, engaging, puts you to tears.
Treble! Pierces your ears on poor recordings, slightly sibilant, though on good recordings they sound very rich and has the sparkle! very easy to listen to, not very well extended though+ Very well extended, non fatiguing and rich sounding treble+ Some say they have recessed treble. I would say that they aren't bright as the 800 or some grados. They have everything in the treble region, the cymbals sound great. 
Vocals! Again, sounds as it should be, no wow factor or initmacy of voices. + The vocals sound great on the X+ Again, very nice vocals, very close to the X, though not near the 3F++++++++ I'm running out of stars. You can make your favorite artist sing for you in your room with these headphones.
Soundstage, Imaging, Seperation++ No contest! Soundstage with planars have always been constricted within your ears (except for LCD4), has a good imaging ! Constricted soundstage, typical to many planars around. This makes me think that the detail retrieval is lesser than the 800 on a quick A/B comparison, but further listening says no.++ Interestingly, these have a very wide soundstage. Not wide as the 800 but surely wider than any other planars I have listened to.
Comfort+ has a huge ear pads that covers your ears, never touches the driver, very soft material, feels like nothing on your head- Heavy, uncomfortable for longer periods (maybe 3+ hours), though it can be improved with the carbon fibre or Lohb strap. I tried them both didn't work for me+ Not so heavy as the X. Around 500 gms (X is around 600)-- ~650 gms (One reason I had to sell them, what a shame, they sounded great)
Amping! 300ohms (but when you are looking at these phones, you will already own a decent amp)+ Works from your phone too but a good amp will do justice-- A big downside. Hard to drive. Needs a lot of power to shine. A speaker amp maybe but very difficult to find one that's cheap with less noise floor. ( I use them with my Mjolnir 2 w Telefunken tubes and they are powerful, LISST and stock tubes sounds grainy and less power)+ At 200 ohms on the newer drivers they need quite some juice but I'm sure when you are buying this you will have a nice power amp.
Looks?+ They both look cool++ I love the black aluminium though- Just an another headphone++++++ It is like the Rolls royce of headphones. I used them always with the protective gloves that came along.
Value for money+ Easily the best own one that does it all phone! They are overpriced for the sound quality they produce (Gonna get bashed for this)! The headphones themselves are worth the price. But the amping would make them more expensive. If you already own a decent amp 5W at 50 ohms atleast then it is worth considering.- I bought it for €4000 euros. They are twice the price of LCD 3s but are they worth it? Yes for some, No for many. I was one of the many.
Quality+ Sennheisers are surely long lasting- Audeze had many driver failures (Not so many failures on the X though) but now they have the newer drivers, which time has to tell.+ This is my only Hifiman headphone. I had no issues of driver failures or breaking yet.  ! The build was top notch. With premium leathers, carbon fiber headband, and the wood. Stunning and very well made. But there were some issues with the driver failure. Audeze have addressed it with newer drivers,
so it is still not a thumbs up yet.

By end of the day, If I'm given just one choice, I'll go with the 800.

Though I appreciate the 800s, I sold them for three reasons.
1. They were too bright, even after the super dupont mod
2. They are "boring". Meaning, they are not engaging phones like the LCD 3 or LCD 4. (The X wasn't engaging either)
3. I bought the HD800S,yay! (Still on the way, so no comments on them yet)

EDIT #1: I was asked to compare with the HE6. So I added them. 
New conclusion: I would place my HE6 and LCD 3F on top of everyother headphones I have come so far (except for the 800S I will receive them soon). I think they complement each other really well. HE6 for close to neutrality and speed. LCD 3s for musicality, vocals and the timbre.

If money isn't a problem and you can bear ~650 gms of weight on your head for hours, then sell all your other phones and get the LCD 4 instead. You will thank me and Audeze later.

Please feel free to ask me for other headphone comparisons. Thanks a lot!

Added comparison for the HE6 and LCD4.

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #8,659 of 12,748
Added comparison for the HE6 and LCD4.

Loving the table! HE6 has always been that weird dark horse for me. It has the potential to outclass everything around it, but needs exact circumstances for it to perform at its peak. I also kinda like how unassuming it looks, like it doesn't need to prove anything to the competition.

Audeze will always get my vote for best looking headphones though. Something about the LCD 3/X just begs you to put them on.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #8,661 of 12,748
Loving the table! HE6 has always been that weird dark horse for me. It has the potential to outclass everything around it, but needs exact circumstances for it to perform at its peak. I also kinda like how unassuming it looks, like it doesn't need to prove anything to the competition.

Audeze will always get my vote for best looking headphones though. Something about the LCD 3/X just begs you to put them on.
Totally agree. The LCD 3's wood are amazing, it is always amazing to hold something that's handmade.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #8,662 of 12,748
I have just spent a few hours listening to music, from the latest Enigma to Rory Block and I forgot how powerful these headphones really are. A complete Tour de Force, absolutely awesome. I now have to take them off and listen to something a little brighter :)

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #8,663 of 12,748
  I have just spent a few hours listening to music, from the latest Enigma to Rory Block and I forgot how powerful these headphones really are. A complete Tour de Force, absolutely awesome. I now have to take them off and listen to something a little brighter :)

The LCD X are surely good for rock music especially when well driven. Strangely, I have always felt a higher impedance headphones sound better. Maybe it is just me. 

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #8,665 of 12,748
Nothing related to the X but in general I guess higher impedance phones have tigher or hard to drive diaphrams and they resonate much better/precise than thin films. I maybe totally wrong but just my opinion.

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #8,667 of 12,748
Have just listened to the full 2CD set Pink Floyd - The Wall. Head is spinning, so ecstatic. Audeze LCD-X take a bow

Dec 8, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #8,669 of 12,748
Hey guys,

I was hoping some of you could provide me with your opinions. I recently put in an order for a b-stock LCD-2 and unfortunately they were out of wood so are offering a alum version or an upgrade to new LCD-x for $1000.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?!?!

I have wanted some LCD-2's for a couple years now and never really considered the X due to cost, however now I can but don't know if I should.

What I am mainly concerned about is low end response. Due to their lighter drivers and the laws of physics I'm worried the low end not as abundant as in a LCD-2.

I listen to a lot of hip hop, various types of rock from punk, hardcore, scr/emo, to the classics, as well as many different types of electronica. I realize the design of these headphones allows for good eq'ing but still feel like I don't have enough information to make the decision despite all the research I have done. Unfortunately I am not able to compare them in person either.

Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back