Audeze LCD-X
Nov 29, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #8,626 of 12,748

I own the LCD-X and decided to add the Ether Flow to complement them and fit in-between the X and my HD800.  IMO, the Flow provide much better SQ than the LCD-2.  The best advice always is to listen for yourself, if possible.  The LCD-2 are quite a bit less expensive than the Flow, that would be the only driver.  

Enjoy your music!
RCBinTN

Well, the LCD-2 would not be on the HD800 side of the LCD-X, rather the opposite. They would be a good complement if you're looking for something more relaxed

Nov 29, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #8,627 of 12,748
LCD-2 have this intoxicatingly thick tone. It's dreadful for most classical music, but I've heard it with some of the bad old recordings from the '30s, and they (like HD650s) make them sound as good (or as not-bad) as they can. I myself would take LCD-X and call it a day, but if you like some of the more abrasive genres (in which I have no expertise whatsoever) LCD-2 give you the sound you want. I keep meaning to listen to piano on them at length when I get the chance.

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #8,628 of 12,748
  If you own a LCD-X, is there any reason to add a LCD-2 to the collection?  I'm being tempted by the black friday deals, and can't decide.  

I have the LCDX  and i had the chance to test the LCD2 .. I see no reason to buy both ,,
they almost sound the same , with more neutral sound and more details with the X

get TH-900 ,, it will complete and complement the LCDX much better
much brighter ,  with huge sound stage .

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #8,629 of 12,748
  If you own a LCD-X, is there any reason to add a LCD-2 to the collection?  I'm being tempted by the black friday deals, and can't decide.  

I find no reason to own an LCD-2 or even an LCD-3 having the LCD-X. I've had all three.

The LCD-3F was frankly a grain-free version of the LCD-2.2. They had the same smokey, thick leather armchair sound.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #8,630 of 12,748

I find no reason to own an LCD-2 or even an LCD-3 having the LCD-X. I've had all three.

The LCD-3F was frankly a grain-free version of the LCD-2.2. They had the same smokey, thick leather armchair sound.

I had all of the LCD collection (except for the LCD 2s) at one point. All of them pre 2016 drivers except for the LCD 4. I would rate them this way in terms of sound quality + comfort + price.

LCD 3 > LCD 4 > LCD X > LCD XC.

I can honestly say the LCD 3s are the only headphones that made me sit for hours not analyzing to but to enjoy music. Sure they are darker sounding but let your brain burn-in for sometime and you will truly appreciate its "magical mids". I really didn't like the X since they had a very different sonic signature. Somewhere between my 800s and the LCD 3s. Just my two cents.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #8,631 of 12,748
  I had all of the LCD collection (except for the LCD 2s) at one point. All of them pre 2016 drivers except for the LCD 4. I would rate them this way in terms of sound quality + comfort + price.

I can honestly say the LCD 3s are the only headphones that made me sit for hours not analyzing to but to enjoy music. Sure they are darker sounding but let your brain burn-in for sometime and you will truly appreciate its "magical mids". I really didn't like the X since they had a very different sonic signature. Somewhere between my 800s and the LCD 3s. Just my two cents.

Great information for all the LCD lovers.  My guess is the LCD-2 would be at the end of the line-up.
I own the LCD-X and enjoy them, but have full respect for the LCD-3 owners who say they'll never give up those cans.  
Really interesting the LCD-4 aren't the leaders...but not a huge surprise with other similar comments coming in lately.

Thanks,
RCB

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #8,632 of 12,748

Great information for all the LCD lovers.  My guess is the LCD-2 would be at the end of the line-up.
I own the LCD-X and enjoy them, but have full respect for the LCD-3 owners who say they'll never give up those cans.  
Really interesting the LCD-4 aren't the leaders...but not a huge surprise with other similar comments coming in lately.

Thanks,
RCB

Yes, the LCD 2 is the stripped down version of the LCD 3 so it will be at the last position. Don't get me wrong, the LCD 4s are amazing, if I had to put only the sound quality then the LCD 4s wins hands down. I only think that they are overpriced (flagship) and also very heavy.

Nov 29, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #8,633 of 12,748

Would LCD-3 be worth owning along with the LCD-X?

Nov 29, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #8,634 of 12,748
I think they're different enough with different enough purposes to justify owning both. I owned both until I realized the 3 wasn't for me, and got an XC instead.

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #8,635 of 12,748
I doubt it. Like the other user said, they are very different and you may like only one of them. I can only suggest you to listen to it before you buy. But please give a listen for 1 or 2 days, they are darker sounding so won't be catchy in the initial listen.

Dec 1, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #8,637 of 12,748
  Are they more different than HD800/S?

Yes surely. The HD800 sounds very transparent but the X has a more punchy bass and a bit more pronounced mids. Let me put it this way, LCD X is a typical Audeze trying to be a neutral phone. Totally a unique signature which I unfortunately didn't like. 

Dec 1, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #8,638 of 12,748
Hey all,

I've been researching the LCD-X for a few weeks now and every time I find something else I keep coming back to them. I just have one question on their clarity, is it good enough for those that own it?

If it's one thing I cannot stand it's congested/muddy headphones, and given everything else about the LCD-X I'm willing to overlook a small defiency in this area, but I can't seem to find to many direct opinions on the topic.

I know that the likes of the Ether Flow and HD800/s outperform it in clarity and resolution, but if you only had the LCD-X, would it be clear enough? They'd be driven out of a Jotunheim + Modi Multibit.

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #8,639 of 12,748
Hey all,

I've been researching the LCD-X for a few weeks now and every time I find something else I keep coming back to them. I just have one question on their clarity, is it good enough for those that own it?

If it's one thing I cannot stand it's congested/muddy headphones, and given everything else about the LCD-X I'm willing to overlook a small defiency in this area, but I can't seem to find to many direct opinions on the topic.

I know that the likes of the Ether Flow and HD800/s outperform it in clarity and resolution, but if you only had the LCD-X, would it be clear enough? They'd be driven out of a Jotunheim + Modi Multibit.

Thanks!

Surely they aren't detailed monsters like the 800s but they are very clear with amazing seperation. If I only had the X, I wouldn't be satisfied though cuz the 800s exist :)

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #8,640 of 12,748
I own both the LCD X and the HD 800 and drive both with the IFI IDSD Micro, and I love both phones.  The LCD X's take a half step to the HD 800's in the transparency department, and the soundspace is somewhat more enclosed than the 800's,  but by no means would I characterize the sound as crabbed and congested.

One of the great appeals of the LCD X's is they provide genuine high end sound that is always easy to listen to.  There are days when I just kick back, forget about the world and listen to music for five hours at a stretch, and the X's are perfect to do that because they cause no listening fatigue, just relaxed, luxurious, yet for the most part accurate sound. 

And they do not squeak, or rattle.  No frame noise whatsoever. 

And they do have highs. 

If you have never heard a hyper detailed phone such as the HD 800, it is highly unlikely you would even have a subjective impression that anything at all was missing from the sonic profile of the LCD X's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back