Audeze LCD-X
Dec 9, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #8,686 of 12,748
So you also have the non leather pads for the X? Why have you replaced the standard pads?

I also find that the X sounds somewhat as a LCD 3 with a quarter hd800. But the hd800 itself is not my top pick. Overemphatized detail and the mids are not transparent. If you want a dynamic with mids similarly fluid like with the LCD range, listen to the Shure 1840. Off course not as transparent and fluid as the LCD's but much better than the hd 800.

But if the 2016 LCD XC is brighter than the X, then that's my headphone. Tomorrow I'm going to try to listen to the XC if that's possible.

Mine came with vegans and I think they're perfect headphones. I'm anticipating the pads have something to do with it, so I want to replicate it on the XC.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:43 PM Post #8,687 of 12,748

Mine came with vegans and I think they're perfect headphones. I'm anticipating the pads have something to do with it, so I want to replicate it on the XC.

I see you have the TH-X00 as well as LCD-X, I'm going to have to sell my first run mahoganies to fund my Xs. Not super worried about missing them, but in your opinion, how much do the two differ?

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #8,688 of 12,748
I have both with vegan and the XC is more if a 'beats' version of the X.  gots more bump and a bit more air it seems.  it is more toe tapping of the two.  the X is more 'reference'.  they both have their place, using the XC at work and the X at home.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #8,690 of 12,748
I see you have the TH-X00 as well as LCD-X, I'm going to have to sell my first run mahoganies to fund my Xs. Not super worried about missing them, but in your opinion, how much do the two differ?
My opinion is that comparing $500 cans to $1700 cans is a silly exercise. However, these days everyone wants to see a $500 can mop up a $1700 can because screw people who can afford $1700.

Reminds me of when the Xiaomi Piston 2 came out. $25 IEMs that sounded like $75 IEMs. Therefore list price is $150. So let's compare them to $300 IEMs.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #8,691 of 12,748
My opinion is that comparing $500 cans to $1700 cans is a silly exercise. However, these days everyone wants to see a $500 can mop up a $1700 can because screw people who can afford $1700.

Reminds me of when the Xiaomi Piston 2 came out. $25 IEMs that sounded like $75 IEMs. Therefore list price is $150. So let's compare them to $300 IEMs.

I was talking about frequency response and overall character. I've demoed the Xs and know there is no way the X00s can hope of touching them in technical ability.

I asked because there seems to be a lot of people who keep Fostex cans around because they prefer them to their TOTL gear for various reasons. I know a guy whose daily drivers are T50rp MkIII, but owns an SR-009 with a KGSSHV. I'm wondering what compels people to hold on to their cans, what they find so special about them.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #8,692 of 12,748
I was talking about frequency response and overall character. I've demoed the Xs and know there is no way the X00s can hope of touching them in technical ability.

I asked because there seems to be a lot of people who keep Fostex cans around because they prefer them to their TOTL gear for various reasons. I know a guy whose daily drivers are T50rp MkIII, but owns an SR-009 with a KGSSHV. I'm wondering what compels people to hold on to their cans, what they find so special about them.
These aren't planers like the T50RP, so merely keeping them around because they're "Fostex" isn't the same thing.

I will say that they are very competent headphones and are the most even of the three TH-X00 cans. It's definitely even across the entire frequency spectrum with a slight bright tilt. They don't have the hyper detail or bass quality of the XC, but they have a great bass quantity and extension and no details are lost. They're just not at the sheen of the XC.

The XC is quite bright with excellent instrument separation considering the narrower closed soundstage. The ebony has an even narrower soundstage, but the separation is lesser so everything sounds cohesive.

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #8,693 of 12,748
Now the I think about it, the TH-X00 ebony has more in common with the X than the XC! The X does not have exceptional soundstage or separation. But it's IMO the best headphone.

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #8,694 of 12,748

I can't speak for others, but I have about a dozen headphones that span the gamut in both pricing and technical ability. I keep the X around, even though it is not the most technically capable headphone I have, because I sometimes I just want that quality and quantity of bass it can deliver. At other times, I may want the detail level of the HD800 which works well for acoustic and classic music; it too has flaws and I only sometimes listen to it, but I still keep it.

Right now, I'm listening to my Sony MDR-XB1000. Wearing those giant pillow-y earpads and listening to the crazy bass that comes with 70 mm drivers is sometimes very nice.
basshead.gif

It's nice to have variety.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #8,695 of 12,748
LCD-X arrived today. Roughly 2 hrs of constant listening in, I will not be sad to sell my other cans. 

As I had hoped, these are exactly what I've been looking for. Endgame achieved.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #8,698 of 12,748
I need some advise for an amp/dac, combo or not, to pair with them. Budget? I may be able to go up to 500$, but the cheaper the better since they seem easy to drive.
Is it a noticeable improvement going balanced on them other than the power rise?

Sound signature I'm looking for? Something that could improve soundstage and the low end for my ambient tunes would be great.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #8,699 of 12,748
Seems I will be joining Audeze family with the LCD-X. Due to the cancellation on my b-stock sale purchase they offered me the cans for 999$.

I need some advise for an amp/dac, combo or not, to pair with them. Budget? I may be able to go up to 500$, but the cheaper the better since they seem easy to drive.
Is it a noticeable improvement going balanced on them other than the power rise?

Sound signature I'm looking for? Something that could improve soundstage and the low end for my ambient tunes would be great.

Audio GD NFB-11, $325 its a single ended dac/amp combo that sounds amazing.

(edited to remove nfb28)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back